Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slgt skal flge slgters gang

Kevyn posted:

I believe that whole scene in the car was one long take too.

Yeah pretty sure it was

loving pos snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Fun Times! posted:

Last night's episode was hilarious. Louie getting back on the tram the second the kid leaves his sight was perfect.

That was a solid episode; it had me simultaneously thinking, "Louie's such an rear end in a top hat to everyone" and recognizing that when in a foul mood, I can be just like him.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I thought this episode dove off a cliff in terms of quality compared to the rest of this season, but I'm trying to withhold judgement since it is a two-parter.

I liked the topical bit about keeping your genitals covered, and how he thinks that is a weird thing for people to do, though.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Was nice to see Florentine in that one.
"I only came in it twice" made me howl.
What a weird season. Not really anything like this on TV.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I love that no matter what Louie does or tries to do, horrible stuff will happen around him that is outside his control and yet he will face the blowback from it.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Chromatic posted:

Who knew Buzz from Home Alone was kind of a good actor.

He's good in Blue Ruin.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Wow, I loving hate Florentine but, once again, he was great in this. This show is guest-star magic.

... and now it's back to waiting for more episodes. :(

Kerrek
Dec 17, 2004
Louie's standup routine was, "I'm hopefully middle-aged/dead people don't know they died", then Jim (Louie's mirror image) dies suddenly. Nice callback.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
He died doing what he loved, making GBS threads into the upper deck of a comedy club condo in Oklahoma.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
And then I had another guy who is a very famous comic. He is probably at Cosby level at this point. He is lauded as a genius. He is basically a French filmmaker at this point. You know, new material every year. Hes a known perv. And theres a lockdown on talking about him. His guy friends are standing by him, and you cannot say a bad thing about him. And Ive been told by people Well then say it then. Say it if its true. If I say it, my career is over. My manager and my agent have told me that. They didnt threaten it. They just said to me You know what Jen, its not worth it because youll be torn apart. Look at the Cosby women. And this guy didnt rape me, but he made a certain difficult decision to go on tour with him really hard. Because I knew if I did, Id be getting more of the same weird treatment Id been getting from him. And it was really hosed up, and this person was married. So it was not good, and so I hold a lot of resentment.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

And then I had another guy who is a very famous comic. He is probably at Cosby level at this point. He is lauded as a genius. He is basically a French filmmaker at this point. You know, new material every year. Hes a known perv. And theres a lockdown on talking about him. His guy friends are standing by him, and you cannot say a bad thing about him. And Ive been told by people Well then say it then. Say it if its true. If I say it, my career is over. My manager and my agent have told me that. They didnt threaten it. They just said to me You know what Jen, its not worth it because youll be torn apart. Look at the Cosby women. And this guy didnt rape me, but he made a certain difficult decision to go on tour with him really hard. Because I knew if I did, Id be getting more of the same weird treatment Id been getting from him. And it was really hosed up, and this person was married. So it was not good, and so I hold a lot of resentment.

You mentioned it earlier, but I don't really know what you expect this thread to do or say about it?

The rumor has it that it's Louis CK, and I can see how that description fits him, and if he did do it, he should face whatever consequences. And Jen Kirkman's agent & manager are correct, if she publically names whoever it is, that world will definitely eat her alive. It's a really lovely situation for her, and if it is indeed CK he is a turd, but it can't really move in any direction as it is right now. Either she names him, or someone else comes out, or nothing else ever happens.

There's just so very little to say either way, with so little substance.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

And it was really hosed up, and this person was married. So it was not good, and so I hold a lot of resentment.

Hasn't Louie been famously divorced/single for a while now? That's all he ever loving talks about in his stand up. Unless the person who that quote's from decided to just add that part to make the accusation a little more scandalous. Or it could be about a different comedian.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Divorced 2008, which isn't so long ago that it automatically discredits anything.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
That episode was good, I feel like the guy dying was kind of tacked on just to make sure you knew you were watching Louie.

edit: posted something dumb

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

Hannibal had such a promising career ahead of him before the whole Cosby thing. :(

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

bango skank posted:

Hannibal had such a promising career ahead of him before the whole Cosby thing. :(

Hannibal Buress was referencing a 20 year old news story that everybody knew about as part of his lame edgelord act. That said, Louis is nowhere near Cosby's level when Cosby was at the height of his popularity. Whoever this broad is, she just needs to come out and say what's on her mind because the whole "tee hee, a popular red headed comedian did something unspeakably bad to me, but I'm not saying who or what because I'm a frightened, helpless girl" is loving obnoxious.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Irish Joe posted:

Hannibal Buress was referencing a 20 year old news story that everybody knew about as part of his lame edgelord act. That said, Louis is nowhere near Cosby's level when Cosby was at the height of his popularity. Whoever this broad is, she just needs to come out and say what's on her mind because the whole "tee hee, a popular red headed comedian did something unspeakably bad to me, but I'm not saying who or what because I'm a frightened, helpless girl" is loving obnoxious.

You're loving obnoxious. "Tee hee"? gently caress you.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

Snapchat A Titty posted:

You're loving obnoxious. "Tee hee"? gently caress you.

To be fair, he's no more obnoxious than the accuser. The whole ordeal is nonsense.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

It's sad because my enjoyment of Louie's material was somehow dependent upon him being an avatar of moral purity and righteousness.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I'm sad the season is over already - I didn't even know it was back on until 7 episodes in since I never watch anything else on FX.

I've never seen a tv character that shared so many mannerisms with me, my wife finds it hilarious.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

cheerfullydrab posted:

That episode was good, I feel like the guy dying was kind of tacked on just to make sure you knew you were watching Louie.

edit: posted something dumb

I thought his dying symbolized the death of the fart joke/toilet humour for Louie.
That is, even though fart jokes and other obvious crudity will get an instant laugh or guffaw from any audience whether aged 5 or 50, it's not real comedy in that there is no originality, it provides no insights and breaks no new ground. In this way fart jokes are about on the same level as stealing jokes (shown in previous episode).

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 11:14 on May 30, 2015

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005

Binary Logic posted:

I thought his dying symbolized the death of the fart joke/toilet humour for Louie.
That is, even though fart jokes and other obvious crudity will get an instant laugh or guffaw from any audience whether aged 5 or 50, it's not real comedy in that there is no originality, it provides no insights and breaks no new ground. In this way fart jokes are about on the same level as stealing jokes (shown in previous episode).
Fart jokes are just the lowest common denominator. Like Pop music. Equating it with stealing jokes is strange.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Rapsey posted:

Fart jokes are just the lowest common denominator. Like Pop music. Equating it with stealing jokes is strange.

They are both forms of humour depicted and disapproved by Louie in consecutive episodes. Sure it's strange but he's a strange dude.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I thought Louis did like farts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRJHNYueoUo

Anyway the finale didn't really do anything for me unfortunately, I liked the previous episode better. I was quite tired though so I'll try rewatching it later.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
...you do know that he plays a character on his show right?

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

mobby_6kl posted:

I thought Louis did like farts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRJHNYueoUo

Anyway the finale didn't really do anything for me unfortunately, I liked the previous episode better. I was quite tired though so I'll try rewatching it later.

Watch this Talking Funny discussion before rewatching, might give you a different perspective. And even if it doesn't change your opinion it's worth viewing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKY6BGcx37k

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
It's too bad if he's done with fart humor because that episode where his pregnant sister is in a bunch of pain and it's one big windup to a fart was pretty good.

This season was shortened because Louis got high, wrote an outline he liked and talked FX into shortening it, and then looked at the outline sober and realized it was garbage.

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/how-louie-got-a-shorter-season-because-louis-ck-got-high

quote:

* How did C.K. wind up doing only 8 episodes this season? Well, originally, he wanted to delay season 5 so he could film it in the fall, since shooting previous seasons in winter particularly the recent crippling New York winters was wearing him down. Then, the night before FX chief John Landgraf was going to announce the delay, C.K. smoked a lot of marijuana, felt a burst of inspiration for stories he wanted to tell this season, and wrote pages and pages on his computer, breaking out all of what he felt would be an amazing season. He called Landgraf and asked if he could produce on the original schedule; a frustrated Landgraf told him they had already allocated most of his budget to other shows, and the best they could do was a half-season. So C.K. agreed, Landgraf announced that, and in the sober light of day, C.K. finally read what he had written... and it was gibberish. He didn't use a single idea or joke from it in making season 5. Don't do drugs, kids. Or, at least, don't make big decisions while high.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634

quote:

* How did C.K. wind up doing only 8 episodes this season? Well, originally, he wanted to delay season 5 so he could film it in the fall, since shooting previous seasons in winter particularly the recent crippling New York winters was wearing him down. Then, the night before FX chief John Landgraf was going to announce the delay, C.K. smoked a lot of marijuana, felt a burst of inspiration for stories he wanted to tell this season, and wrote pages and pages on his computer, breaking out all of what he felt would be an amazing season. He called Landgraf and asked if he could produce on the original schedule; a frustrated Landgraf told him they had already allocated most of his budget to other shows, and the best they could do was a half-season. So C.K. agreed, Landgraf announced that, and in the sober light of day, C.K. finally read what he had written... and it was gibberish. He didn't use a single idea or joke from it in making season 5. Don't do drugs, kids. Or, at least, don't make big decisions while high.

Plot of next season found

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
my fuckin god I love season 5 of louie ... the part about the hot pour in episode 7 had me laughin for fuckin hours

how was season 4 3 2 and 1? if someone is liking season 5 should go back and watch the rest of the seasons?

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Meowbot posted:

my fuckin god I love season 5 of louie ... the part about the hot pour in episode 7 had me laughin for fuckin hours

how was season 4 3 2 and 1? if someone is liking season 5 should go back and watch the rest of the seasons?
S1: great
S2: great
S3: great
S4: great with trigger warnings

That's just my opinion. I've never had a problem with the show. S4 caused drama online.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

IMO this has been the worst season. Couple of great episodes for sure, but I thought these last two road episodes were terrible, and it also did not open strong.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I guess this was really just "half a season" and measured as such, it's fine. There's a good case to be made for every season from 1-4 being "the best one", I doubt anyone would try to argue that 5 is, even Louis. I look forward to what's next though, because this season did have some poo poo that felt like he was finally growing and confronting some of his biggest flaws.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

The last two episodes were middle of the road but the one before that was maybe the best of the series. Louie is all over the place but always interesting and worth watching.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I liked this season better than the last

Zsa Zsa Gabor
Feb 22, 2006

I don't do drugs, if I want a rush I just get out of the chair when I'm not expecting it

Zzulu posted:

I liked this season better than the last

Same, and some of its moments are instant classics, like the creepy nightmare dude and Louie taking his youngest daughter to the doctor.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
The highs were higher but the lows were lower. Still overall a great season just for the absolute gems it produced.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

It's funny, I was thinking about Stephen Wright during that last episode and the credits said the story was by Stephen Wright and Louis CK. It was kind of a heartwarming story, with the rear end in a top hat dying happy, doing what he loved

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
42351 if we're doing the ranking thing. Maybe swap 1 and 5 but 5's best episodes were INSANELY good, especially the horror one.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The first episode had that awful potluck lesbian woman. That was a good one.

I liked how in the nightmare episode, the atmosphere is all weird when he wakes up and he says "oh no" when the doorbell rings, like he has a premonition that something awful is going to happen but he has no way to avoid it. It reminded me of the diner scene in Mulholland Drive.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jun 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010
So is that it for the series, or are there plans for new ones next year?

• Locked thread