Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JibberJabberwocky
Mar 24, 2012

cpaf posted:

Keep grinding through the story and put 'em on Snow instead, imo

Understood. I'm autoing my way through the Locke event as far as I can. Might have to start paying attention soon. Saving the growth eggs. I'll use them on Snow when unlocked. Soon as I can't handle/complete a dungeon in the Locke event, I'll hop over to story mode to progress and unlock te remaining characters. For now Josef is tossing out 1400 damage per attack and so is Cloud with his 4-star sword. Cyan is having a good day too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
What level should I be for hard fal'cie? Would like to get more free orbs before it goes away, but I don't wanna get my rear end kicked and waste stamina since I lack any realm synergy and my highest dudes are 33ish. At the very least I have some 4 and 5* gear now :toot:

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Minrad posted:

What level should I be for hard fal'cie? Would like to get more free orbs before it goes away, but I don't wanna get my rear end kicked and waste stamina since I lack any realm synergy and my highest dudes are 33ish. At the very least I have some 4 and 5* gear now :toot:

How much Thunder and Water damage do you have honed? Do you have a Retaliate combo set up?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Schwartzcough posted:

So these "shared soul break" items- does that mean anyone that equips it can use that soul break? The Mystery Veil gives a full-party healing ability; that seems pretty nice if you didn't get Aeris' rod.

Ugh, but I can't justify doing a pull for FFVI stuff when I've already got a ton of good FFVI stuff.

I did a pull for FFVI stuff when I've got a ton of good (or decent) FFVI stuff!

I got a 4* FFX-synergy Katana and a Blitz Sword. :psyduck:

DaveWoo posted:

So, what's the consensus on the new gacha? Worth chucking 50 stones at, or should I wait?

Yes. Shared Soul Breaks are actually pretty drat nice to have, so there's actually 4 "winning" 5* pulls here, or 3 even if you don't want to use Locke.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Suzaku posted:

Oooh, look at all those 3* Lightning Orbs! :allears:

Amen! 15 3* lightning orbs goes a long way towards helping me get Intimidate to rank 3. I'll still need 3* power orbs (none in this event?) but it really helps not to need the lightning orbs.

Suzaku posted:

Okay, advice time.

In the course of finishing the Vanille event, I ended up with enough Power orbs to hone another break. Assuming I do Power the next time I get a Lightning orb, would Magic or Armor be better next. I'm leaning toward Armor, because it seems like primarily magic opponents are much less frequent, and everything is weak to being hit harder.

I prioritize the offense-breaks (power and magic). Those are essential for winning some fights, while armor/mental breaks are nice to have but you can win without them.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

KataraniSword posted:

Yes. Shared Soul Breaks are actually pretty drat nice to have, so there's actually 4 "winning" 5* pulls here, or 3 even if you don't want to use Locke.

Okey-dokey.

... Well, I guess my team's going to have a fair amount of extra healing power now.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
I'm really enjoying the fact that I'm one shotting everything up until at least the second to last classic stage. All the previous events I've felt underpowered, now I might actually have a shot at elite. Thundaja definitely helps.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

DaveWoo posted:

Okey-dokey.

... Well, I guess my team's going to have a fair amount of extra healing power now.

Moonring Blade's not a bad thing to pull right now either; it means Locke will have plenty of oomph behind his attacks if you use him in this event.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Saved up 50 mithril for the Locke banner and the results were fairly pleasing: Genji helm, my second blitz sword and rising sun :getin:

Looks like my new lineup is Cloud, Celes, Locke, Vanille and Snow. Nice synergy for the new event.

PBnJamo
Feb 11, 2014
I did a 11 pull too thanks to all the mithril events. Got a Zantetsuken (VI) and a 4 or 5 4 star equips. Not bad, but you'd really think it'd give a soul break to someone. Still, good time as any to get Sephiroth on the cleaning crew.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Suzaku posted:

How much Thunder and Water damage do you have honed? Do you have a Retaliate combo set up?

2/5 watera, 2/5 thunder strike, and the free thundaga at 1/5. 2/5 retaliate and 2/5 double cut, to boot.

I get the feeling I'll end up cutting it close on behemoths and the uh... mechthings, assuming 4 retaliate charges is enough for Anima. I'll probably wait until I get warrior of light later and catch him up so I can have two 5* weapon using dudes.

James Totes
Feb 17, 2011
Think I'll 50 pull this banner--I usually don't on single banners, and am not really psyched for Locke, but the shared soul breaks are pretty good, I need a decent ranged weapon, and the Kaiser Knuckles are boosted too.

What can I lose? Not like Locke becomes bad later on, anyway--thief abilities are good!

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

PBnJamo posted:

I did a 11 pull too thanks to all the mithril events. Got a Zantetsuken (VI) and a 4 or 5 4 star equips. Not bad, but you'd really think it'd give a soul break to someone. Still, good time as any to get Sephiroth on the cleaning crew.

Zantetsuken is a sword, not a katana. :ssh: Sephiroth can't use it.

PBnJamo
Feb 11, 2014
Ah drat, you're right. I did pull like 3 other katanas though, so he'll be useful in the next FFX event or something. I'm compiling my inventory on that website now. I recommend to anyone else to fill out that inventory management site sooner rather than later. There's so many things to keep track of.

Edit: I found I pulled a masamune blade (VII). Why is there even a separate ff7 masamune? That's just cruel.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

My only 5 stars have been golden spears.

Maybe I should combine them to form one, very golden spear.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I don't get why people tend to think Odin's sword would be a Katana. This isn't Lupin III. :v:

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

The Cranes dropped a Beret for me. That's nice, I guess.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
I got a regal gown out of my 11 pull, which I promptly put on snow and giggled like a 12 yearold about it.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
Did an 11 pull with the shared breaks. Got a Hawkeye which actually seems pretty good with a chance to blind. Got some other assorted junk but I did manage to pull an Ice Shield which should be really helpful with the final dragon. I'm running into a problem where I have a bunch of 3* staves with various boosts that are just taking up space right now.

Can characters permanently learn the shared Soul Breaks? If so, Rinoa will probably be my top mage with spells and a blind SB.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Evil Fluffy posted:

I don't get why people tend to think Odin's sword would be a Katana. This isn't Lupin III. :v:

It's a curvy sword with a Japanese name, obviously that means it's a katana, because katana means Japanese sword. :v:

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

cirus posted:

Can characters permanently learn the shared Soul Breaks? If so, Rinoa will probably be my top mage with spells and a blind SB.

Unfortunately no :( I have a bunch of shared SB equipment in Japan that I'd really like to have learned permanently.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Hypocrisy posted:

My only 5 stars have been golden spears.

Maybe I should combine them to form one, very golden spear.

I like to imagine combining weapons just involves crudely duct taping them together. Karin gets a really long spear made out spears attached end to end. That's why you can't go over ++: because after that, the spear gets too wobbly.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Evil Fluffy posted:

Cyan can equip it in FF6 :tinfoil:

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Bobulus posted:

I like to imagine combining weapons just involves crudely duct taping them together. Karin gets a really long spear made out spears attached end to end. That's why you can't go over ++: because after that, the spear gets too wobbly.

Spear-flail. Tie all of them to the end of one and swing away.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Killing Vector posted:

In the Locke event, when you're selecting the level you want to enter, the background is a map of the World of Balance, but when you switch to the elite levels it changes to a map of the World of Ruin. That's a neat little touch.

I also like that the rewards make story sense the same way. World of Balance gives you Locke, but to get Phoenix you basically have to go through the cave where Locke found it in the World of Ruin.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So, compared to the sorceress event. How hard is it to beat this one on elite?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Much easier. There's only one multi-boss rush and it's earlier (and thus easier) than the Parade Float fight, and the bosses all have important status vulnerabilities (Guard Captain can be petrified/instant deathed, almost everything else can be paralyzed, and the Red Dragon can be poisoned and blinded). Red Dragon has a ton of hit points and heavy offense, but nowhere near the defense level that elite Seifer had.

Most importantly, FF6 synergy gear is way, way more common than FF8 synergy gear.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

How important is synergy anyway? Like should I swap out Cloud for FF6 characters, for instance? Or should I swap out 5* gear for 4* gear that gets synergy?

EDIT: Does that 5* sword have technically unlimited non-class restricted lightning slash for its limited break? That's kind of rad.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Character synergy is nice but not super vital. For characters, synergy is +10 levels, which is usually a few hundred HP and 20 or so to their major stats.

Item synergy is huge. For items, the amount they gain from synergy is based on their level. At levels 1-4, It's a flat +5 levels. At 5-9, it's +10. At 10-14, it's +20. 15-19 is +30. 20-24 is +40. 25-29 is +50, and 30 is +60 levels. (this formula doesn't apply to accessories, those get +50% to their effect)

And yes, the new shared soul breaks can be used by anyone equipping the item. They're not as powerful as character-specific soul breaks, but they can be incredibly useful.

EDIT: Just beat the Red Dragon on Elite and it's still very difficult. I had two people alive and neither of them had more than a sliver of health remaining. Probably not going to bother going back to try and master it for the Major Fire Orb. I reeeeeeeaaaaaallllly need to get my Power and Magic Breaks honed up. I wish non-elemental and power orbs were easier to farm.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jun 2, 2015

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Nuebot posted:

How important is synergy anyway? Like should I swap out Cloud for FF6 characters, for instance? Or should I swap out 5* gear for 4* gear that gets synergy?

EDIT: Does that 5* sword have technically unlimited non-class restricted lightning slash for its limited break? That's kind of rad.

Synergy for characters gives them +10 levels. It's definitely nice to have, but you shouldn't bring a level 35 Cyan over a level 50 Cloud because of it or anything. Item synergy, on the other hand, gets pretty bonkers. Absolutely bring a 4* item with synergy over a 5* item without (although chances are you'll want to bring both). Typically a 3* item with synergy will be comparable to a 5* item without synergy.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Neat. That might explain why the FF8 event was so balls then. We have like no FF8 characters and FF8 equips are few and far between. This time around once I get locke I'm going to level him and Terra up so I can use them instead of Tyro and Cecil.

EDIT: Is it worth rolling on all this FF6 gear?

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jun 2, 2015

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I'm at a point where the Vanille event on Hard is a joke but Heroic is a nightmare. I somehow got lucky enough with health drops and conveniently-timed level ups that I made it through heroic once and mastered it. I wish I could get through it two more times to finish up all the memories I need to get Thundaja but of course it won't be that easy :sigh:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

How many more do you need? Farming Hard is fairly easy and fast. You get like 7k per run and if you're like me and you haven't cleared all of the main dungeons yet, you can dip into those and get some easy stamina back so you can refill and return to farming hard.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Zurai posted:

EDIT: Just beat the Red Dragon on Elite and it's still very difficult. I had two people alive and neither of them had more than a sliver of health remaining. Probably not going to bother going back to try and master it for the Major Fire Orb. I reeeeeeeaaaaaallllly need to get my Power and Magic Breaks honed up. I wish non-elemental and power orbs were easier to farm.

Any tips? Poison, Blind, Fire Resistance, and... ? Only did Rinoa up to getting my Wings, never even tried to get the Parade down. Going to actually try for Phoenix this time around.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Nephzinho posted:

Any tips? Poison, Blind, Fire Resistance, and... ? Only did Rinoa up to getting my Wings, never even tried to get the Parade down. Going to actually try for Phoenix this time around.

Water skills. I forget if we have Waterga yet, but if not and you have a honed Water Strike or Watera, you'll be a lot better off. One of the mastery requirements is to not exploit the Fire Dragon's ice weakness on Elite, and the only other weakness it has is Water, so if you've got a good source of that it will help a lot.

Nuebot posted:

Schwartzcough posted:

Synergy for characters gives them +10 levels. It's definitely nice to have, but you shouldn't bring a level 35 Cyan over a level 50 Cloud because of it or anything.

That said, a L50 Celes with Synergy will generally be better to bring than a L50 Cloud without. It all depends on what characters are what levels, and what niches you need filled. Locke will work better in this event than Wakka or Tidus if he's levelled properly, Celes will be comparable to Cloud (except with better RES), Terra was one of the best mages anyway, and Cyan... Cyan exists, I guess. :geno:

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jun 2, 2015

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
Is a 50 roll worth it for this locke event?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
What's the best way to sort through my gear and figure out what I need to keep? I feel like I have way too many rods and spears

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

The Biggest Jerk posted:

Is a 50 roll worth it for this locke event?

Do you plan on using Locke/Wakka? Rising Sun is really good and turns Locke into a powerhouse with a huge multiplier aoe damage + slow.

The Mystery Veil lets you turn a magic user's lovely default soul break into a white mage AoE heal, the Thunder Blade gives you a strong lightning AoE soul break for any sword wielder and the Hawkeye is okay but eclipsed (heh) by Rising Sun.

I personally am sticking with Vanille's banner since her relic rod is insane and there are very few good rods that give that amount of magic.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

For mastering stages, does anything matter beyond champion/expert status on stages?

ie, is barely getting expert worse than being just short of champion? It seems like there's enough leeway you can master any stage with a single expert, as long as the rest are champions. Nice for the stages with dumb debuff boss conditions.

E: To follow up on that, is it worth making dark attack/dark buster, for dreadnought? Is it a good enough debuff for Other Things, or should I just focus on making and honing power/magic break, a couple of dumb debuff masteries (lookin @ that double dreadnought fight in 13) be damned?

Minera fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jun 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Beasteh posted:

Lightning is my darling wife and I will kill each and every person who states otherwise

Lightning gets a lot of hate for being a really, really obvious creator's pet, but in all fairness I often found her attitude refreshing among the usual 'avoid interpersonal conflict at all costs' Japanese mindset. She has absolutely no problem calling people out on it when they're being retarded, and one of her most character-defining moments in the game was decking a fellow party member in the face for pissing her off - and it wasn't being played for comedy, either. Her appearance in Dissidia was nice, too, considering that she was literally the only good guy who was willing to question if Cosmos was right or even worth fighting for at all.

But yeah, that's pretty much all FF13 or Lightning had going for them.

• Locked thread