Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Scientastic posted:

I have something much more important to discuss than this nonsense.

What should I get for lunch?

A mezze platter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Scientastic posted:

Of course, this is always the correct answer. Hard to find a good one in Camberwell, though...

demand what you want for lunch, and have confidence in yourself. being Reubenless honestly is a choice, unless you're dumb as a doorknob. find someone who you can impress and is willing to fix you a sandwich, and stick with your gumption on getting fed what you think is fair. that's how the world works, unless you're a chippy or large cafeteria or something. and even then its how the world works, just on a much larger, contract driven scale.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
What the gently caress is wrong with you people? Sandwiches, no matter how fancy, are not proper lunch food. Lunch should be a cooked meal, preferably starting with a bowl of soup.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

DekeThornton posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with you people? Sandwiches, no matter how fancy, are not proper lunch food. Lunch should be a cooked meal, preferably starting with a bowl of soup.

lol look at this close-minded scrub

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

DekeThornton posted:

I get the feeling you have way more time to eat lunch than most of us.

Besides, if not at lunch, then when *is* a sandwich appropriate?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Either Linner or Fourthmeal

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
SANDWICHES ARE AN ALWAYS FOOD

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
Especially when they have ghost pepper cheese on them

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

rj54x posted:

I get the feeling you have way more time to eat lunch than most of us.

Besides, if not at lunch, then when *is* a sandwich appropriate?

A sandwich can be appropriate as a light snack between breakfast and lunch, lunch and dinner, or dinner and bedtime, naturally.

And if you people had any common sense you wouldn't live in uncivilized nations without proper lunch breaks.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Name one thing that isn't a sandwich. It can't be done.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Ceci n'est pas une sandwich.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DekeThornton posted:

Oh sure, like a nice bowl of French onion soup. Which has a pice of bread floating on it which means it's an upside down open faced sandwich.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Oh sure, like a nice bowl of French onion soup. Which has a pice of bread floating on it which means it's an upside down open faced sandwich.

Or a Caesar salad, which, with the croutons, is an inside-out sandwich.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
Dinner a couple of nights ago with Dino at Han Dynasty in Philly had minimal sandwich. There were vegetable dumplings which are very sandwich - ish. But the spicy cucumbers, the cumin dusted tofu, the dry pot shrimp and the aroma fish were all decidedly non-sandwich.

Also if you're anywhere close to philly, eat at Han Dynasty. Its all pretty darned authentic sichuan and its all delicious.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

DekeThornton posted:

A sandwich can be appropriate as a light snack between breakfast and lunch, lunch and dinner, or dinner and bedtime, naturally.

And if you people had any common sense you wouldn't live in uncivilized nations without proper lunch breaks.

Unless it's a tiny sandwich, a sandwich is far too much food for a snack. Snacks are a couple bites of cheese, a piece of fruit, done crackers, or the like. The entire point of a sandwich is to be a portable one piece meal.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Phummus posted:

Dinner a couple of nights ago with Dino at Han Dynasty in Philly had minimal sandwich. There were vegetable dumplings which are very sandwich - ish. But the spicy cucumbers, the cumin dusted tofu, the dry pot shrimp and the aroma fish were all decidedly non-sandwich.

Also if you're anywhere close to philly, eat at Han Dynasty. Its all pretty darned authentic sichuan and its all delicious.

Did you give him the business about the poors deserving to be poor because they're poor?

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Did you give him the business about the poors deserving to be poor because they're poor?

I actually hadn't read the wall of ignorance prior to our dinner.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

DekeThornton posted:

A sandwich can be cooked, checkmate. :smug:

Hating on un-cooked lunch is kinda strange. For example, have you never had a good salad in your life ? :raise:

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Phummus posted:

Tommy DiNic's

This looks amazing. I mean I was hungry before coming in here, but drat, that just looks like heaven.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

Xoidanor posted:

For example, have you never had a good salad in your life ? :raise:

Suspend shredded lettuce and cucumbers in lime jello. Serve with mayo.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

In the end, I went with a Cajun chicken baguette. It was good.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

In the end, I went with a Cajun chicken baguette. It was good.

Being in Camberwell, surely the obvious answer is a Camberwell Carrot?

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Phummus posted:

Tommy DiNic's

I think that sandwich won, or came in a close second, on some Best Sandwich tv series, whose finals I watched. It was that same guy that had the eating challenge show, Man vs. Food. It was a very subjective competition, based solely on his tastes and some criteria he made up, but that sandwich right there was my main take-away from the show.
Wanting that sandwich.

theparag0n
May 5, 2007

INITIATE STANDING FLIRTATION PROTOCOL beep boop

Xoidanor posted:

For example, have you never had a good salad in your life ? :raise:

"Salad" means chopped up and mixed with Mayo right?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Very Strange Things posted:

I think that sandwich won, or came in a close second, on some Best Sandwich tv series, whose finals I watched. It was that same guy that had the eating challenge show, Man vs. Food. It was a very subjective competition, based solely on his tastes and some criteria he made up, but that sandwich right there was my main take-away from the show.
Wanting that sandwich.

But what is a sandwich really? Can we ever truly know?

Is it a true sandwich if it has beans in it?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
What about a salad sandwich? Would everyone call it "lunch" if it didn't have meat?
In other news sometimes I put some tinned smoked tuna, cucumber, vinegar, mayo and wasabi on wonderbread and pretend it's makizushi.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jun 2, 2015

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

Sandwiches are just portable salads anyway.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Totally Reasonable posted:

Sandwiches are just hand salads anyway.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

Very Strange Things posted:

Wanting that sandwich.

That was the purpose...or one of the purposes of going there. We were going to go to John's to compare, but then the day got away from us. And you're correct, it did win on Richman's best sandwiches show.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

CommonShore posted:

Name one thing that isn't a sandwich. It can't be done.

jackie chan

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

mindphlux posted:

jackie chan

Couterpoint: Your opinions are terrible, therefore by default, jackie chan is a sandwich.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Sandwiches aren't a meal, they're a way of life.

e: here is a simple sandwich that I have enjoyed making many times. It's a bánh mě or something, I don't know. It's good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipcvgAb5y0U

Ingredients
  • 1 tbsp soy sauce
  • 1 tbsp runny honey
  • 2 thin sirloin steaks or minute steaks, trimmed of fat, each cut into 1cm strips
  • 1 carrot, peeled and grated
  • 1˝ tsp rice vinegar
  • 1 baguette
  • Olive oil, for frying
  • ˝ cucumber, deseeded and julienned
  • Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 tbsp chopped coriander, to taste
FOR THE DRESSING:
  • 1 tbsp fish sauce
  • Juice of ˝–1 lime, to taste
  • 1 tsp caster sugar
  • ˝ red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped

Teeter fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jun 2, 2015

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Phummus posted:

Couterpoint: Your opinions are terrible, therefore by default, jackie chan is a sandwich.

ill have my butler respond to this post as soon as he is done polishing my collection of 19th century italian cordovan shoes

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

While visiting Philadelphia, we went to La Colombe in Fishtown. Half Bakery/Cafe/Coffee House and half Rum Distillery. They had excellent coffee and their baguette was very sandwichworthy. I also had, for the first time, Osseau Iraty cheese (on aforementioned baguette) I have a new favorite cheese.

Rum casks:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Sandwiches are just extra-stiff tacos.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Phummus posted:

While visiting Philadelphia, we went to La Colombe in Fishtown. Half Bakery/Cafe/Coffee House and half Rum Distillery. They had excellent coffee and their baguette was very sandwichworthy. I also had, for the first time, Osseau Iraty cheese (on aforementioned baguette) I have a new favorite cheese.

Rum casks:

That's a really cool thing, those rum casks.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mr. Wiggles posted:

That's a really cool thing, those rum casks.

So is Ossau Iraty. That's good eatin'.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

theparag0n posted:

"Salad" means chopped up and mixed with Mayo right?

Olive oil or vinaigrette you heathen.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

therattle posted:

So is Ossau Iraty. That's good eatin'.

I bet it is, but I've never had it.

I was more commenting on the coolness of the resurgence of small scale liquor production. Not the fake small scale stuff like the zillion bourbons, either, but small houses taking chances and doing cool new things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I bet it is, but I've never had it.

I was more commenting on the coolness of the resurgence of small scale liquor production. Not the fake small scale stuff like the zillion bourbons, either, but small houses taking chances and doing cool new things.

I know it's not a "small house", but my favorite mass market brewer, Dogfish Head, makes (made? not sure if they still do it) gin. I guess it's only available in Delaware or some poo poo like that so I'll never be able to try it. Would that I could.