Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

The spares are full size while the used ones are minis? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Godholio posted:

The spares are full size while the used ones are minis? :confused:

You'd think someone would have caught that in the design stage.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

The only way I can think that this would make sense is if the fuse box internals changed from normal size fuses to minis at some point during the model run, and someone with the newer type lost the lid / acquired the car used without it, and junkyarded a replacement that happened to be from an older car? Is this even a thing that ever happens?

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Black88GTA posted:

The only way I can think that this would make sense is if the fuse box internals changed from normal size fuses to minis at some point during the model run, and someone with the newer type lost the lid / acquired the car used without it, and junkyarded a replacement that happened to be from an older car? Is this even a thing that ever happens?

Unless they do really inconvenient poo poo like randomly catching fire, fuse boxes almost never get changed/update designs though a model run. They're not the kind of thing that is usually prone to a failure that would warrant a recall and replacement.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Mooseykins posted:

They're not the kind of thing that is usually prone to a failure that would warrant a recall and replacement.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh you silly, silly, bastard.

No recall on these, just a lolfuckyou give us $1500 bucks.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

cursedshitbox posted:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh you silly, silly, bastard.

No recall on these, just a lolfuckyou give us $1500 bucks.

It's a P38, everything is expected to inconveniently burst into flames. You can't possibly expect a Land Rover to be reliable.

Also, Land Rover obviously determined that this was no design or manufacturing flaw and wasn't a common fault, hence no recall. :colbert:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
It started with the lovely rear end relays and bullshit pin mounting. I junkyarded em, fixed em up with some silver solder and beefed the traces while I was at it. Made for good beer money during slow seasons.

I will say the newer ones are pretty decent, but anything from the bmw era is a friggin' nightmare.

and I drink to forget all of it.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

cursedshitbox posted:

It started with the lovely rear end relays and bullshit pin mounting. I junkyarded em, fixed em up with some silver solder and beefed the traces while I was at it. Made for good beer money during slow seasons.

I will say the newer ones are pretty decent, but anything from the bmw era is a friggin' nightmare.

and I drink to forget all of it.

Come to think of it, we did have an L322 at an old place of work that the wiring/fuse box had caught fire. The entire car was a heap of poo poo and a total mess.

Also, every Disco II's ABS pump shat itself due to lovely soldering cracking.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah I replaced one too many shuttlevalves too. First thing I'd do when I bought a rover is pull the fuse for the abs pump. Pull the controller and it tosses CEL codes. pull the pump fuse and it silently shuts the gently caress up.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Black88GTA posted:

The fuse size did change during the model run, but Toyota didn't update the cover or the spares. Came like that from the factory.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

SouthsideSaint posted:

I have had the good fortune of only working on V8 Beamers and older straight sixes. And diesel BMW are a rare thing in the US. But I will say I would rather do a BMW water pump then the horrible mechanical failure that is a Toyota v6 water pump.

Which toyota v6? All the ones I've done were easy as.

Mooseykins posted:

Unless they do really inconvenient poo poo like randomly catching fire, fuse boxes almost never get changed/update designs though a model run.

Nah. Kia mentor ones catch on fire all the time and they didn't change poo poo.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Slavvy posted:

I know they're a bit of a pain in the rear end on the 1MZ-FE when installed in an Avalon (I assume the Camry as well), but more because it's fairly cramped on that side of the engine. Plus, being a Toyota V engine, the upper intake has to come off before you can even think about touching anything.

I'd still rather tackle a water pump (+ timing belt) on the Toyota instead of touching the water pump on my own car - my car runs the water pump off of the timing chain, and getting the timing cover off is far easier with the engine out of the car in my case.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Mooseykins posted:

They're not the kind of thing that is usually prone to a failure that would warrant a recall and replacement.
The fuse box on a friend's early-2000 ish Colorado decided it was a water reservoir. Any time it rained water would pool in the fuse box and he couldn't for his life figure out how it got in there. He had all kinds of electrical gremlins in that car.

At one time all his lights suddenly went out while he was driving along a narrow, winding forest road in the middle of the night. Fun times.

rainwulf
Jan 22, 2004
I must post less.

Slavvy posted:

Your next car should always be a honda, toyota, mazda or nissan. All other brands are garbage, and nissan is pushing the boundaries and might get booted out of the club if they aren't careful.

hyundai. Seriously they are starting to bring out some serious cars. Look at the Genesis, and its sporty brother, the genesis coupe. Serious car.

MrYenko posted:

http://www.fordproblems.com/trends/triton-engine/spark-plug-ejection.shtml

Late-nineties 4.6 Fords loving hate their own spark plugs. It's a common issue.

I read this as "hate loving"... still applies i guess.

MrYenko posted:

Ah, I've never encountered a longitudinal FWD vehicle.

...Because that's stupid. :v:

Let me introduce you to mr saab....

Ferremit posted:

Spark ignitions a bit of voodoo to me- ive been compression ignition since i started to drive so the idea of changing plugs is a bit foreign.

Although the landcruiser is desperately overdue for diesel injectors... and Toyota in their infinate wisdom embedded the things INSIDE the head, between one of the most complex quad valve systems Ive ever seen that seriously does NOT like getting knocked.

My mates older tech toyota diesel, the old 1HZ is "Pull cross over pipe, Pull glow plug rail, undo injector pipe and wiggle to side,remove injector return pipe, unscrew injector from head". Mines "Remove cross over pipe, remove rocker cover, remove injector pump cover, remove and dispose of injector pipes. Remove return pipe, lever out 6x seals from side of head, undo injector hold down without breaking your valve system with a slipped spanner, lever injectors out without breaking expensive valve system..."

Thankfully, the injectors in this drat POS are easy... http://imgur.com/eOLbL4K you actually use the camshafts to pull the sleeves out heh. Nothing to break in there, apart from the loving stupid injector harness clips.
No one talks about the high pressure oil feed... THROUGH the tappet cover..

Its a cat/isuzu/holden bastardization of a 3.0 litre turbo diesel.

1500quidporsche posted:

All interiors are cheap garbage now anyways.

My dad bought some 2012 Mercedes SUV and I swear to god it was like I was riding around in a Rubbermaid container.

gonna say it again, check out the latest Genesis. You will be loving floored by the build quality.

rainwulf fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jun 1, 2015

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Slavvy posted:

The one where you have to remove the water pump and lift the motor up. Then you have just enough room to do it. Versus most v8s where its right front and center. Or a Saturd that has it in the belt drive at the lowest forward place. Where most cars put an a/c compressor or alternator. Basically if I am pulling a motor mount and lifting the motor I better have to be doing the timing belt. I am mostly sour because we have a lady who comes into my shop with one and she has killed one motor in 60K. Thanks to a coolant temp sensor that will tell you its cold if there is no coolant near it .:downsgun:

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

some texas redneck posted:

I know they're a bit of a pain in the rear end on the 1MZ-FE when installed in an Avalon (I assume the Camry as well), but more because it's fairly cramped on that side of the engine. Plus, being a Toyota V engine, the upper intake has to come off before you can even think about touching anything.

When people do a v6 swap in mr2's, its not uncommon to cut an opening into the trunk so you can access the plugs a bit easier

Granted, still doesn't help access to the front bank once the engine is in....

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

rainwulf posted:

gonna say it again, check out the latest Genesis. You will be loving floored by the build quality.

You are my GenBro :):hf::)

insta
Jan 28, 2009

TKIY posted:

You are my GenBro :):hf::)

Does this count for the coupe, and what year does this take effect? Not hugely impressed by my '13 :(

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
The sedan is a whole different ballgame.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Ugh, I'm about to enter day 3 of my almost totally unnecessary timing belt job. I was quoted 17 hours of labour at my local garage, I'm on track to beat that myself by a few hours.

All because of a horrible mechanic/PO failure. Spot the difference:

The reluctor ring on the 'old' sprocket was nowhere to be seen, and is on the back of the sprocket so would be retained if it became detached. This means it was present when the sprocket was removed from the car, but not present when it was replaced. THANKS.

Also, I should have just changed the loving belt while I was in there. Never mind - I'll do it all again later.

rainwulf
Jan 22, 2004
I must post less.

insta posted:

Does this count for the coupe, and what year does this take effect? Not hugely impressed by my '13 :(

I am a fan of the coupe as well, but my bro in law is a Hyundai salesman, and showed us all the latest genesis sedan. It is an absolute work of art. Australia doesnt get the coupe :(

But the sedan.. holy crap. When you walk up to it with the keys in your pocket.. it ONLY unlocks the door you are closest too. You just get in, press start and off you go. It has every drat amazing thing you could ever expect, all the fantastic radar things, the line following cameras, hell, the rear seats have their own music and air con console. Its just loving nuts.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah they just brought the genesis sedan here as well and it's an absolute cracker compared to basically everything else in the segment.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

rainwulf posted:

But the sedan.. holy crap. When you walk up to it with the keys in your pocket.. it ONLY unlocks the door you are closest too. You just get in, press start and off you go. It has every drat amazing thing you could ever expect, all the fantastic radar things, the line following cameras, hell, the rear seats have their own music and air con console. Its just loving nuts.

Does this mean "only unlocks the driver door", or literally if you walk up to the passenger-side rear door with the key then that's the one that opens?

If the latter, I wonder what technology they're using to detect proximity. But more importantly, I wonder what use case that is solving. Who is getting into a non-driver door with the key?

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Data Graham posted:

Does this mean "only unlocks the driver door", or literally if you walk up to the passenger-side rear door with the key then that's the one that opens?

If the latter, I wonder what technology they're using to detect proximity. But more importantly, I wonder what use case that is solving. Who is getting into a non-driver door with the key?

Approaching with an arm full of groceries or babies, maybe?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Data Graham posted:

It works by an inductive pickup in the door handle. The key being in proximity alerts the system, your hand in the handle unlocks that particular door. Toyota have been doing this exact thing for years; I've never been able to 'trick' the system and open the handle so fast that the door lock doesn't have a chance to open.

You'll find that the other doors would unlock the same way once the key is inside the cabin volume, or there'll be a setting to turn that feature off if you don't like it. On all the latest Korean cars these settings are adjustable through the instrument cluster.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

rainwulf posted:

But the sedan.. holy crap. When you walk up to it with the keys in your pocket.. it ONLY unlocks the door you are closest too.

So what if all the doors unlock instead of just the one you are closest to? What problem is this supposed to solve - in case a zombie carjacker jumps into the passenger seat with you?

Slavvy posted:

It works by an inductive pickup in the door handle. The key being in proximity alerts the system, your hand in the handle unlocks that particular door. Toyota have been doing this exact thing for years; I've never been able to 'trick' the system and open the handle so fast that the door lock doesn't have a chance to open.

You'll find that the other doors would unlock the same way once the key is inside the cabin volume, or there'll be a setting to turn that feature off if you don't like it. On all the latest Korean cars these settings are adjustable through the instrument cluster.

I think the new BMWs with frameless windows use this too, when you put your hand on the handle the window has to drop down an inch before you open the door, and then roll itself back up when you close it, because I guess the windows go into a recess when the door is closed and without rolling the windows down the door wont open or the glass shatters or something.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Throatwarbler posted:

I think the new BMWs with frameless windows use this too, when you put your hand on the handle the window has to drop down an inch before you open the door, and then roll itself back up when you close it, because I guess the windows go into a recess when the door is closed and without rolling the windows down the door wont open or the glass shatters or something.

I'm laughing but this is totally a thing BMW would do

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

8ender posted:

I'm laughing but this is totally a thing BMW would do

Porche does it too.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Any modern car with frameless windows will do it to cut down on noise.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
It's probably partially to protect the track the window rides on; at the top, the glass is basically free to pivot around, distorting the track when the door shuts and the glass suddenly stops. Roll it down an inch or two, and now the bottom of the glass has to exert that stress on a larger area of track, the seal that rides on the glass helps, too.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
And on the BMWs, cold weather wreaks havoc on this system. The window will freeze on the window seal, then it will detect excess force needed to roll the window down and abort, leading to the window losing its zero point, leading to windows that don't close. I specifically chose an E87 over an E81 for this reason (five door has normal doors, two door has frameless.)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

bolind posted:

And on the BMWs, cold weather wreaks havoc on this system. The window will freeze on the window seal, then it will detect excess force needed to roll the window down and abort, leading to the window losing its zero point, leading to windows that don't close. I specifically chose an E87 over an E81 for this reason (five door has normal doors, two door has frameless.)

Lost count of people coming in to complain about this issue on the e46 and e90. Not frozen on from cold weather, but grabbed/jogged accidentally while closing.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Throatwarbler posted:

Dad had an early G35 coupe, it would drop the windows about an inch either when unlocking with the fob or opening a door (I forget which, he got rid of it years ago). They'd roll back up once the door was closed.

I always figured it was to prevent damage to the window and seal, since they were a tight fit once the door was closed.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I guess it's a good system in theory, but the failure modes are just rather... horrible.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah, hell, my '06 mustang does it.

Oh, you disconnected the battery to work on the car? For the love of God hook it back up so I can roll down the window

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Throatwarbler posted:

So what if all the doors unlock instead of just the one you are closest to? What problem is this supposed to solve - in case a zombie carjacker jumps into the passenger seat with you?

Or an abusive boyfriend, a violent assailant, etc. Not unlocking doors by default that the operator doesn't want unlocked is a pretty good design decision.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Wait what? People are bagging on VAG and then praising a Korean car that starts at 38k? I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

veedubfreak posted:

Wait what? People are bagging on VAG and then praising a Korean car that starts at 38k? I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

Over here it's £48k (And there are no options, besides exterior and interior colour.)

48k is like loaded Audi A6 money.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Handcranked posted:

Sorry but the VW's in europe sucks cock too

I guess I check that feature on the list, my loss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Phanatic posted:

Or an abusive boyfriend, a violent assailant, etc. Not unlocking doors by default that the operator doesn't want unlocked is a pretty good design decision.

Wouldn't the other doors unlock anyway, since the key is in range and it has no way of knowing who's actually carrying it? Or does that system disable once one door is unlocked?