Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

:laffo:

if that's not a clue that it's nothing but :siren: are using your site I don't know what is

they should have had the old warez site splash page with the button confirming that you are not a cop before viewing the site

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

FMguru posted:

also $20k is a pretty light penalty compared to the scope of the outright fraud they were running

i'm guessing there total cluelessness helped them here. not setting up anything to operate under to avoid personal liability was really stupid but probably saved them.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Erenthal posted:

they should have had the old warez site splash page with the button confirming that you are not a cop before viewing the site

it's 4th amendment violation if you lie about not being a cop here

--something bitcoiners and weedbertarians believe

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf3_MBaarnQ

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

:stare:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

FMguru posted:

also $20k is a pretty light penalty compared to the scope of the outright fraud they were running

yeah, I can only imagine that it's a combination of "how much could we get honestly get", "who wants to spend months making a case for something stronger against these idiots", and "the only people harmed are HN-huffing armchair VCs".

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

what did i just watch?

and what is corona.info? its showing a cloudflare error

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
known poop-toucher neal stephenson's new book, whose plot is based around the earth being destroyed and the need to send the best and brightest into a ~decentralized free market cloud ark~ built around the ISS, has a character that is sent up to the ISS along with all the astrophysicists, space pilots, geneticists, robotics experts, etc.

he is/was head corporate counsel for a silicon valley bitcoin startup, and is responsible for making the new constitution of the post-Earth human race.

:allears:

its also the most fictional thing in this book, since no bitcoin company actually has lawyers working for it

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
who's the guy that came from the dog butt in that video?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tipps posted:

its also the most fictional thing in this book, since no bitcoin company actually has lawyers working for it

I bet bfl does at this point

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

And here I was thinking the Snow Crash world was a through-and-through dystopia suffering from a post-Reagan globalization that shattered the world. He probably put it together thinking stuff like the FOQNEs were a totes awesome innovation because if there's one thing I find cool it's needing a loving passport to drive through a neighborhood.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

FAUXTON posted:

And here I was thinking the Snow Crash world was a through-and-through dystopia suffering from a post-Reagan globalization that shattered the world. He probably put it together thinking stuff like the FOQNEs were a totes awesome innovation because if there's one thing I find cool it's needing a loving passport to drive through a neighborhood.

well yeah it's a lot easier to deny access to blacks that way, seems like a pretty obvious advantage if you're a libertarian

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
this is insane

quote:

In total, these users have spent 64 hours, 6 minutes, 26 seconds (and counting!) engaging with our site between March 10 and May 14. Over 96 hours if you include time on the blog and the founder’s personal website. This is more time than our team spent building the drat web page. We have clearly achieved product-market fit with this demographic.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

ruby idiot railed posted:

We made a betting site.

We faked the order books.

We faked financial reporting.

We literally committed outright fraud.

We shilled it like mad.

We roped in actual suckers.

lmbo

ahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahhaha

ha

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

this is like saying how successful osama bin laden was at bringing american tourist dollars to afghanistan

tens of thousands of visitors who stayed for months at a time!

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
i probably shouldn't get so upset at the "we're hackers, we break rules, so we shouldnt have consequences" line of thought but its absolutely infuriating for me. also the whole "we found one weird trick to bypass the law, the SEC hates it!" thing. the sense of entitlement and fart-huffing attitude of software entrepreneurs is terrible

Predictably, at least a few Hacker News posters are going on about how terrible it all is: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=9642186

quote:

The SEC should have said "Very clever, kids, but, ah, no. Knock it off." A fine here is ridiculous -- the participation was capped at $250, this clearly wasn't intended to take in serious amounts of money. The SEC can't let something like this go on, but it can be less hamfisted in its handling.

quote:

Because we should all talk to lawyers before we do anything.

quote:

We like to whine about how burger-flippers don't get paid enough to literally lift a spatula but we're happy when the SEC goes after a few creative entrepreneurs trying to get ahead?

quote:

It's a shame. How much did the SEC spend chasing an unfunded startup?

luckily plenty of others are calling them out on their stupid rear end reasoning.

ryde fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jun 2, 2015

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

at least they are finally warming up to the idea of dorian satoshi nakamoto being 'their man'

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

quote:

How about a craiglist with drugs?

submitted 3 hours ago by QualityGardenVendor

Aren't all of you tired of being scammed? What about a craiglist-like hidden service, but with reputation and feedback? No exit scams, only direct trading with your trusted vendors, paying directly to their wallets. I lost a lot of money both as vendor and buyer on all those scams. I lost more money from markets than from vendors scamming me in years of buying trough the web.

The current scheme is not helping anyone, stop thinking escrow will save your rear end.

If there is any interest I'll gladly code something like that.

like localbitcoins for drugs

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Alan Smithee posted:

like localbitcoins for child prostitutes

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Alan Smithee posted:

like localbitcoins for drugs

he took my money and stabbed me. never got the drugs. one star

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

haveblue posted:

he took my money and stabbed me. never got the drugs. one star

i stabbed him and got to keep the money and the drugs. five stars

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

univbee posted:

harm reduction because six feet under he can't stab anyone else.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

univbee posted:

isn't this basically venmo

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

maybe I'm part of the problem, but tbh if someone said "let's create a prediction market/betting site for all these random startups" my thoughts would go to gambling laws, but not securities ones. I mean, I understand and agree once it's been explained, but I can also imagine myself having that blind spot.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
pretty sure they were in violation of gambling laws, too

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Poe's Law as gently caress

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

pretty sure they were in violation of gambling laws, too

yeah, I don't know much about them -- was the house taking a cut?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
e: wrong thread!!

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Subjunctive posted:

maybe I'm part of the problem, but tbh if someone said "let's create a prediction market/betting site for all these random startups" my thoughts would go to gambling laws, but not securities ones. I mean, I understand and agree once it's been explained, but I can also imagine myself having that blind spot.

thats where my mind would go too. and then Id think "i need to research this because dont want to gently caress with gambling laws" and probably talk to a lawyer, who would hopefully clue me in. its not reasonable to expect everyone to know everything about the law, but there should have been enough of a red flag that you should know you need to talk to an expert.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
idk the financial data part of it is what immediately sets off my alarms

and that's deffo sec

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

ryde posted:

thats where my mind would go too. and then Id think "i need to research this because dont want to gently caress with gambling laws" and probably talk to a lawyer, who would hopefully clue me in. its not reasonable to expect everyone to know everything about the law, but there should have been enough of a red flag that you should know you need to talk to an expert.

the out of date constitutional law book i found in the dumpster behind taco bell says nothing about this, so we must be in the clear.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

fuctifino posted:

bitcoins: I spent most of the month in the bathroom crying

Feh, I've been doing that with fiat for years :smug:

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
i was sympathetic to them until i realized i missed the part where they said they were using real money

i thought it was just some sort of a simulation or game. nope, they really were that dense

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ponzicar posted:

i was sympathetic to them until i realized i missed the part where they said they were using real money

i thought it was just some sort of a simulation or game. nope, they really were that dense

real money, fake profiles of real companies, trading bots. and it never occurred to them that any of this might be frowned upon

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
i still dont understand their business plan

they were going to decentralize an already existing thing (stock market simulators) based on numbers from a central authority so that people could pay them money to gamble on stock performance?

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

cumshitter posted:

i still dont understand their business plan
they were targeting start ups that are not publicly traded. the idea is that you could "bet" on the valuation of the company but it sounds like it was more set up as an equity market. private companies can't be traded by your average joe.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

I bet bfl does at this point
With all the craziness from Ross I had forgotten about BFL. Don't they have a trial coming up?

also

Boxturret posted:

who's the guy that came from the dog butt in that video?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

CampingCarl posted:

With all the craziness from Ross I had forgotten about BFL. Don't they have a trial coming up?

next year i think now

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

next year i think now

they cant even ship a trial on time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

quote:

Another thing I learned: If you’re gonna try to make yourself look like a legitimate financial institution, you’ll be prosecuted like a legitimate financial institution.

Heresiarch posted:

the cargo cultists built their planes and runways out of straw and now they're getting strafed

• Locked thread