Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PYROxSYCO
May 14, 2015
If anybody bought "The Stomping Lands" you get bling shades for your T-rex. Who wants to buy it just for the shades?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

FalloutGod posted:

Some of these guys really are dense as gently caress. Like Lirik not connecting the dots that when you run it makes your water drain faster. Hes constantly collecting poo poo but not upgrading his character to create anything new. I can't believe this dude makes 6 figures a year. I've been cycling through the various streams and people are just making GBS threads in their hands and throwing it at people while not bothering to explore anything about the game. I've heard you can ride the flying dinos which sounds cool. I haven't seen any of the larger varieties yet.

I wish I could make 6 figures for playing video games and calling viewers idiots.

It looks like they gate taming bigger dinosaurs by making stuff like saddles dinosaur-specific, with each thing being locked behind a certain level. Makes sense. Biggest challenge to getting a flying one beyond that seems like knocking the thing out before it escapes into the air.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
I think I'm going to allow myself to be cautiously optimistic about this game. It seems like a multiplayer survival game except actually fun

edit: I will never get bored of the characters' screams as they punch trees with their bare hands :allears:

unwantedplatypus fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jun 2, 2015

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Have any of them shown single player? It seems like the main screen just has a join or host option.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!

Reason posted:

Have any of them shown single player? It seems like the main screen just has a join or host option.

I think single player is just hosting a local server on your computer, probably.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
If anyone is still watching the streams. Aavak seems to be grasping the mechanics and his group is currently taming some pigs

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
Dinosaur abuse simulator 2K15

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie
This looks amazing. Been following it for a bit but holy hell was not actually expecting it to pay off. :20bux: if it doesnt explode to poo poo when it goes live tomorrow.

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

:laffo:

Orv
May 4, 2011
Before I stopped watching streams because they were all about as hilarious as the clap, and that screenshot especially enumerates it; the UI is loving terrible.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Orv posted:

Before I stopped watching streams because they were all about as hilarious as the clap, and that screenshot especially enumerates it; the UI is loving terrible.

True, but the game is minimum a year away from being done, so the UI has a long way to go.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

True, but the game is minimum a year away from being done, so the UI has a long way to go.

I am so intensely tired of poo poo UIs that I'm not even willing to buy the alpha/EA/beta/whatever excuse at this point. A ton of games from the last three or four years have had loving awful, awful UIs, that technical difficulties of making them aside (because UI is mechanically hard to do, no question), look and function like shiiiiiit. And I'm tired of it. gently caress you, make a good UI, don't plaster the entire screen in 22 Ariel and giant pop-up Sims boxes for someone on mic.

E: And yes, before someone goes "you're still going to buy it Orv, you love this poo poo", yes I will, I have a serious goddamn problem and the only solution is more terrible survival games. :cripes:

Orv fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jun 2, 2015

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I don't care if this game has a terrible UI, it allows me to kill people by chaining them up and feeding them their own poo poo until they die.

e: I can make a pubbie prison and make them feed each other their own poo poo until they die. :getin:

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I don't care if this game has a terrible UI, it allows me to kill people by chaining them up and feeding them their own poo poo until they die.

e: I can make a pubbie prison and make them feed each other their own poo poo until they die. :getin:

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
I actually don't mind the UI. It seems to me like it gets the job done and, at this early stage, that's probably the best approach to take. Kinda like how trees/rocks just fall through the world after destruction, yeah it looks weird but they probably realize the game isn't optimized and want to decrease server load.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Guys what is our tribe going to be called

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
"Piggy Was Right"

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

Jurassic Pork
Poop Squad
Goon Poop
I got nothing :effort:

Fake edit: Goon server will be up in a few hours by the name of "RAPTOR EXPLOSION: SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST" or by the ip 63.251.20.193
Just like RoK gonna advertise it everywhere I can, so we have a lot of pubs

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Givin posted:

"Piggy Was Right"

:golfclap:

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Strotski posted:

Jurassic Pork
Poop Squad
Goon Poop
I got nothing :effort:

Fake edit: Goon server will be up in a few hours by the name of "RAPTOR EXPLOSION: SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST" or by the ip 63.251.20.193
Just like RoK gonna advertise it everywhere I can, so we have a lot of pubs

Dodo Defense Brigade

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Looks like a better Rust with Dinosaurs, day 1 purchase.

This unlocks for early access in ~15 minutes right?

Edit
gently caress, there goes postponing lunch.

sushibandit fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 2, 2015

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

sushibandit posted:

Looks like a better Rust with Dinosaurs, day 1 purchase.

This unlocks for early access in ~15 minutes right?
correct, unless they postpone it by another hour

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

If this is anything like rust then i'm probably going to end up sinking hundreds of hours into this.
poo poo looks fun

*Edit:
Looks like they bumped back the release by another few hours.

quote:

Hello everyone!

Working on final server testing. The island of ARK: Survival Evolved will open on Steam at 2pm PST // 5pm EST // 9PM GMT.

TwatHammer fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jun 2, 2015

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

quote:

UPDATE 09:50PST // 12:48 EST // 16:50 GMT
Hello everyone!

Working on final server testing. The island of ARK: Survival Evolved will open on Steam at 2pm PST // 5pm EST // 9PM GMT.

See you then!

:rip:

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!
welp, that's what happens when they only give out keys one day before release and then have to panic fixing things

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Smoremaster posted:

welp, that's what happens when they only give out keys one day before release and then have to panic fixing things

Streamers are still playing, so I doubt it's some serious instability problem. Seems more likely that they realized that their servers are going to get slammed (a real shocker, right?) and are trying to figure out how to not have things burst into flames. Seems like they've done zero stress-testing, so I'm assuming it's going to be a disaster.

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

LuciferMorningstar posted:

Streamers are still playing, so I doubt it's some serious instability problem. Seems more likely that they realized that their servers are going to get slammed (a real shocker, right?) and are trying to figure out how to not have things burst into flames. Seems like they've done zero stress-testing, so I'm assuming it's going to be a disaster.
How is it going to be a disaster if there's going to be hundreds of private servers in a matter of minutes?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Givin posted:

"Piggy Was Right"

"We've got the :gonk:"

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Strotski posted:

How is it going to be a disaster if there's going to be hundreds of private servers in a matter of minutes?

If the server browser can't cope, there will be an issue. I hope there's not an issue. I really do. I certainly don't want there to be one, since it's just frustrating for everyone. But concerns about day-one stability (with regard to traffic) seem more plausible than panic fixes as a reason to delay release. Maybe I'm wrong.

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

There's no way to start downloading this is there?

Raioner
Mar 28, 2006

Not yet no.

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD
Looks like the game has some potential as long as the devs work hard on getting it optimized and stable before adding more stuff, otherwise it will just just end up being flavor of the month like Reign of Kings and dead soon after.

Raioner
Mar 28, 2006

Lirik just got run down by a dude riding a raptor :allears:

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Raioner posted:

Lirik just got run down by a dude riding a raptor :allears:

While this part was amusing, I have to wonder, is there a streamer that isn't completely insufferable and/or a douche?

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

unwantedplatypus posted:

While this part was amusing, I have to wonder, is there a streamer that isn't completely insufferable and/or a douche?

Nope.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Nah it kind of goes with the territory

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

Dumping tips while we wait for release, gonna edit this to include more

quote:

Stim berries wake up things that are unconscious.
Narcoberries put them to sleep. It apparently makes taming longer too.

The first dino you can tame is basically a pack mule, but it runs quickly. Might be better to knock him out with a small group, unless you want the chase. I notice most people ignore this one.

Dilphosaurus is probably the best thing to go after once you have a few levels on you, makes a great guard pet and can help with hunting. Since you can have multiple dinos, might be wise to tame a few and then hunt larger dinos.

You can jump on the back of a turtle and beat the crap out of it with no problem.

The axe apparently gathers more stone than the pickaxe and the pickaxe gathers more wood than the axe.
If you break an item, Axe, pick, spear, w/e you don't need to open your inventory to craft a new one. If you have the materials you just press shift+the hotkey it's on and you will start crafting a new one.

Don't go inland until you are absolutely ready. There are T-Rexs and Raptors.

Don't go diving too far out or deep with low stamina. You need it to swim back to the surface and it wont regenerate while swimming!

You see those light things they go by 3 colors : white , green , purple

You can go to them and get some pretty good loot !
The white ones can be looted by anyone
The green ones can only be looted by someone level 15 and above
The purple one can be looted by people level 35 and above

Strotski fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jun 2, 2015

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

I'd add to the berry thing that there's a button in the middle of the screen when you load up, say, a dinosaur's inventory with berries labelled "remote use." That's the force-feed button. Apparently the dinos won't eat the narcoberries on their own or something.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Strotski posted:

If you break an item, Axe, pick, spear, w/e you don't need to open your inventory to craft a new one. If you have the materials you just press shift+the hotkey it's on and you will start crafting a new one.
NOICE

quote:

The pick allows for the gathering of “finer” resources. The hatchet is the reverse, prioritizing wood over thatch, stone over flint, and hide over meat.
vvv this is also cool vvv

Jackard fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jun 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

Strotski posted:

Dumping tips while we wait for release, gonna edit this to include more

adding to this:

Quick Tip – Gathering: There is a difference between gathering with the pick and gathering with the hatchet. The pick allows for the gathering of “finer” resources and therefore is more likely (but not guaranteed) to gather thatch than wood from trees. The same goes for rocks where it gathers primarily flint, and animals where it tends to receive more meat. The hatchet is the reverse for all of those, prioritizing wood over thatch, stone over flint, and hide over meat.

Quick Tip – Leveling: By now you should have leveled up. You gain experience points for various activities, but also passively as time goes on. Every time you level up you get one point to increase your stats (health, movement speed, melee damage etc.) and a few Engram Points (EP). Engrams are essentially crafting recipes, which your character will keep permanently and can be used as many times as you like. For now, grab the hatchet as your first engram pick. As for stats, I recommend investing in Health or Fortitude early on. Maybe melee damage if you’re feeling like you’re going to be doing a lot of fighting. Health and Melee damage are pretty straightforward. Health increases your max HP and melee damage boosts you overall damage output with melee weapons. Fortitude (my usual first pick) is less clear cut. Fortitude is the general “toughness” of your character. Investing in it allows you to resist the harsh elements, which is nice early on as you won’t have clothes to help in that area until a bit later down the road. Fortitude also gives you a resistance to torpor, or level of unconsciousness, meaning all the players throwing punches are a bit less likely to knock you out.