Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
If your computer blows up while running the Windows 10 upgrade, how do you get it back? Do you get a key and can download an installer to put on a USB stick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

hooah posted:

Breaking away from Windows 10 talk for a minute, I find myself wanting a more robust clipboard program. I'm a comp sci TA, and often find myself typing the same things when grading students' programs. What do people recommend? I'd like it to work well on a laptop as well as a desktop (i.e. with or without a number keypad).

If I'm understanding you correctly, it sounds like you could benefit from something like AutoHotKey. Or if you're in Word, there's a built in way to make shorthand expand into word phrases. If you're wanting to keep a couple buffers around to paste and they vary between assignments, I've only ever used the stuff built in to vim/emacs.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Yaos posted:

If your computer blows up while running the Windows 10 upgrade, how do you get it back? Do you get a key and can download an installer to put on a USB stick?

Why wouldn't you have made a backup first?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I didn't even think of AHK; I was focused on a clipboard replacement program like Ditto or ClipX; AHK will be better, since it won't save passwords from LastPass, and I won't have to pull up a separate program to do this. And it's already running on my laptop, since Lenovo arranged the home/end/pgUp/pgDown keys stupidly. Thanks!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Yaos posted:

Details around whether you get a Windows 10 key and can download an iso for a clean install seem sorely lacking from MS. It's going to be fun to be a CJ when a bunch of small businesses and home users decide to install Windows 10 without asking if it's a good idea first and there's no way to know how smooth of a process upgrading will be.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Hm, had the windows 10 upgrade icon on my desktop windows 8.1 install since this morning, but it's not showing up on my windows 8.1 tablet??

pissdude fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jun 2, 2015

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Is there a way to tell how old a windows install is? Timestamp on a special file(s)?

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Shaocaholica posted:

Is there a way to tell how old a windows install is? Timestamp on a special file(s)?

Open a command prompt and enter: systeminfo | find /i "install date"

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

WorkingStiff posted:

Open a command prompt and enter: systeminfo | find /i "install date"

Thanks! Looks like I'm at 24months on my oldest machine. Can't wait to nuke it for Win10.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I had no idea people were so eager to wipe their machines, these things aren't Windows 98 anymore there is no harm really in just letting them go for years unless you are constantly getting viruses or something.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
First time Windows 8 user here. Start screen is kinda fun (especially knowing that "Desktop" is always right there waiting for me) and I like the live tiles. Some live tiles never seem to work, however. Games, installed by default, has never done anything, and if I click it I can see that I'm actually signed in properly and it shows my Xbox 360 info inside the app and everything. Twitter and YouVersion Bible, downloaded from the store, don't seem to be working (I've gone in the Twitter options and made sure Live Tile is allowed), while Facebook worked fine as soon as I installed it. Websites with live tiles seem to be working fine when I pin them to the start screen.

Any idea why some live tiles would work while others wouldn't? I've tried out a few methods, include the app troubleshooter from the miscrosoft help site, refreshing the store, syncing purchases, etc. I guess it's not a huge deal since I'll be installing WIndows 10 in a few months anyway, but it's bugging me in the meantime and I want my new toy to look right!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

socialsecurity posted:

I had no idea people were so eager to wipe their machines, these things aren't Windows 98 anymore there is no harm really in just letting them go for years unless you are constantly getting viruses or something.

If I don't wipe and reload every week, I won't get the highest 3DMark scores.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

socialsecurity posted:

My windows directory on my desktop is up to 38gb, and that's after I nuked all the temporary files I could find. Is there a reliable way to cut down that bloat any without nuking? A fresh install is closer to 20GB, which is a huge amount of difference on a 160gb SSD.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

My windows directory on my desktop is up to 38gb, and that's after I nuked all the temporary files I could find. Is there a reliable way to cut down that bloat any without nuking? A fresh install is closer to 20GB, which is a huge amount of difference on a 160gb SSD.

I'm in a similar position to this and doing a flatten and reinstall because my Windows director is 43GB for some reason.

Being able to wipe and reload at any time also enforced good backup / offsite data storage practices.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

You have to run Disk Cleanup, then click the option to Clean up System Files. Once that scans it allows you to delete Windows Update files that are just there in case you need to uninstall an Update. This can be many gigs of files.

You can also run this on a server but for some gently caress you reason you have to install the Windows Desktop Experience Feature.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Disk Cleanup is installed, you just need to copy files out of some mile long directory path to their normal location to get it without the whole "experience".

Do you have a mountain of RAM? Cutting the page file down to something reasonable will return a lot of space at the cost of not being able to dump memory when it crashes.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

I've had the same Windows 7 install for nearly 6 years, have transferred it between 3 laptops and at least 3 different hdds/ssds and it's only this big:

What sort of stuff are you installing that adds up to 38 gb?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Nintendo Kid posted:

I've had the same Windows 7 install for nearly 6 years, have transferred it between 3 laptops and at least 3 different hdds/ssds and it's only this big:

What sort of stuff are you installing that adds up to 38 gb?

I wish that I could tell you what happened to my Windows 7 directory, but it's still over 40GB after running Disk Cleanup with "Clean Up System Files".

All that I've really had on here is lots of games, dev environments and tools.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /analyzecomponentstore

followed by

Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase

This will delete all the backup installer files that Windows update leaves on your system, after doing this you will not be able to roll back any updates so make sure you are happy with your current configuration, or backup an image.

Also you might want to get something like DriverStore Explorer and check to make sure you don't have 46 copies of your audio driver and the last 14 catalyst updates hiding in some corner of your drive.

Avulsion fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jun 2, 2015

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream
I am aware that a lot of businesses will just follow Microsoft dutifully & upgrade to Windows 10 when it finally comes out.. It just seems like the phrase "Best in the Bizz" is overused in the corporate world. Buzzwords in general tend to get thrown around like confetti or other people's old sandwiches in the company Kitchen refrigerator.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

socialsecurity posted:

These are the same people who manually defrag their drives every week.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

Twerk from Home posted:

I wish that I could tell you what happened to my Windows 7 directory, but it's still over 40GB after running Disk Cleanup with "Clean Up System Files".

This isn't ever clear, but you have to reboot after running that. It finishes the process then.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I wipe and reinstall maybe every 12-18 months because it's easier than running the uninstaller for a few dozen programs I installed and used once.

A wiple/reinstall is super easy when almost everything you do is "in the cloud".

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Television rules the nation.

Thermopyle posted:

I wipe and reinstall maybe every 12-18 months because it's easier than running the uninstaller for a few dozen programs I installed and used once.

A wiple/reinstall is super easy when almost everything you do is "in the cloud".

Yeah, I wipe and reinstall every several months just because I like the feeling of having a fresh, clean install.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

-Dethstryk- posted:

This isn't ever clear, but you have to reboot after running that. It finishes the process then.

Cleaned up system files, rebooted, it's still 43GB. Flatten & reinstall here I come.

Let me see whats big in it with WinDirStat.

Edit: winsxs is 16.3GB, whats in there? Then it's Installer with 9.0GB and assembly with 5.4GB.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Winsxs has system critical files like DLLs and poo poo, I think it over reports its size because it contains NTFS junctions or symlinks though?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Twerk from Home posted:

Cleaned up system files, rebooted, it's still 43GB. Flatten & reinstall here I come.

Let me see whats big in it with WinDirStat.

Edit: winsxs is 16.3GB, whats in there? Then it's Installer with 9.0GB and assembly with 5.4GB.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/winsxs-folder-windows-7-8

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Thermopyle posted:

I can't imagine what scenario you're in where waiting for all the updates to happen again is shorter than running uninstall on like 20 programs a year tops.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

A3th3r posted:

I am aware that a lot of businesses will just follow Microsoft dutifully & upgrade to Windows 10 when it finally comes out..

This is like the opposite of how businesses work

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Most businesses still run Windows 7 and will most likely continue to run 7 until they get 10 figured out.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
If you're able to just click through windows updates to do the upgrade, a lot of people are going to do it without realizing what it is and be annoyed when their menus all change.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
Is there any way to shrink the size of the window bezels in Windows 8.1? It's too thick

coke zero mit mayo
Nov 5, 2008
There is. Copy this into a file, save it with a .reg extension and double-click the file:

code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics]
"BorderWidth"="0"
"PaddedBorderWidth"="0"
Reboot. Done.

Edit: Or set the keys manually in regedit, I guess.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

coke zero mit mayo posted:

There is. Copy this into a file, save it with a .reg extension and double-click the file:

code:

"BorderWidth"="0"
"PaddedBorderWidth"="0"
Reboot. Done.

Awesome thanks! All set :)

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Nintendo Kid posted:

I can't imagine what scenario you're in where waiting for all the updates to happen again is shorter than running uninstall on like 20 programs a year tops.
"Shorter" isn't the greatest metric for comparing the two options.

For one thing, updates don't require me to do anything. For another, it requires me to invest mental energy deciding whether I might or might not want to use the program again. It's a lot easier to install a program when I need it then it is to determine in advance if I might ever use a program again.

A flatten/install is very little work nowadays. If your work is all in the cloud and you keep good backups, it's nothing.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Thermopyle posted:

"Shorter" isn't the greatest metric for comparing the two options.

For one thing, updates don't require me to do anything. For another, it requires me to invest mental energy deciding whether I might or might not want to use the program again. It's a lot easier to install a program when I need it then it is to determine in advance if I might ever use a program again.

A flatten/install is very little work nowadays. If your work is all in the cloud and you keep good backups, it's nothing.

Hey, I'm still the guy that had two partitions on his windows drive. One for the OS and one for data, would reformat annually. :)

Once i moved to SSDs that became tougher so i stopped

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

coke zero mit mayo posted:

code:

"BorderWidth"="0"
"PaddedBorderWidth"="0"
Reboot. Done.

Roargasm posted:

Awesome thanks! All set :)

What are the default values? In case I'd want to change them back...

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I'm not sure if this is the correct thread, but the storage megathread seems to be too "professional" for what I need.

I got an external 2tb drive to use for backups; do I just use Windows Backup to configure weekly backups of the folders I want, or do I use some other program for this? Windows Backup seems to use some weird structure/storing, it doesn't just copy the files over, and I'm not 100% sure it's not tying it to my current Windows installation somehow (which would be stupid but maybe it's doing it for security purposes?).

tl;dr: I want to select folders to backup to an external drive on a weekly basis (some of them daily). Windows Backup yea/nay?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Maybe try Veeam Endpoint? I think it would work for your situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Edmond Dantes posted:

I'm not sure if this is the correct thread, but the storage megathread seems to be too "professional" for what I need.

I got an external 2tb drive to use for backups; do I just use Windows Backup to configure weekly backups of the folders I want, or do I use some other program for this? Windows Backup seems to use some weird structure/storing, it doesn't just copy the files over, and I'm not 100% sure it's not tying it to my current Windows installation somehow (which would be stupid but maybe it's doing it for security purposes?).

tl;dr: I want to select folders to backup to an external drive on a weekly basis (some of them daily). Windows Backup yea/nay?

I'd just use SyncToy

Windows Backup is going to try and back up as much as it can - with SyncToy you can just select specific folders. It's built in functionality doesn't allow it to automatically run weekly/daily, but googling "Automate Synctoy" brings you a few tutorials on how to set up a task. I use it to mirror my data drive to an external hard drive (two drives actually, I'm a wee bit paranoid about data loss)