Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

aerion111 posted:

I may be misremembering, but I feel like it used to exist way back in the pre-DDA days too.

"Run" in the whales versions was just a mode that'd pause your movement when a hostile comes into sight. Exactly the same as the ! function now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So, are smoker explosions supposed to be fantastically violent? A I made the mistake of driving that V8 Interceptor I built inside a garage and while trying to get it out, a smoke smashed through the back window, being the clever sort I am, I immediately smashed into him with the car. Cue the entire front end of the Interceptor blowing apart for some reason. :negative:

But thats ok, I built the car, and I lost it, the cycle is complete. My new game is going better so far!

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
You probably destroyed the car just from crashing into the zombie or something. I've been smashing smokers in the face with a morning star I found in some old mansion and I always come out of the smoker explosion completely unharmed (except for smoke inhalation of course).

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So, are smoker explosions supposed to be fantastically violent? A I made the mistake of driving that V8 Interceptor I built inside a garage and while trying to get it out, a smoke smashed through the back window, being the clever sort I am, I immediately smashed into him with the car. Cue the entire front end of the Interceptor blowing apart for some reason. :negative:

But thats ok, I built the car, and I lost it, the cycle is complete. My new game is going better so far!

I've seen the same happen with boomer bursts, I can't count the times my shopping cart got wrecked by an exploding boomer standing too close. Even worse than that was an experimental build a few months back that tried to include structural integrity in buildings, badly. A zombie smashing a window could cause a section of roof to collapse, a boomer going off could make an entire house fall down.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, lesson learned then. That's fine, in my new game I'm taking a different route and converting a Hippie Van into a mobile base. I'll just park it outside a town and do the same thing I currently do with my evac shelter, go into town on foot rollerblade dragging a wheelbarrow folding kart and just hauling poo poo back. Probably safer than risking losing my main ride.

That said I still wanna beef it up a bit. What is the most effective mountable pros? A ram? Spikes/blades? Just a heavy frame with armor?

(Edit) Also, I noticed during some reckless driving/part car recovery that smashing into another vehicle caused it to roll forward. It was a pretty violent hit (lost control due to shocker paralyzing me) but can you nudge cars out of the way at lower speeds? I'll have to experiment after work.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jun 2, 2015

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Low-speed bumps will still ding up your car a bit, but yeah, if you're patient you can nudge a car a few times to make it roll clear (assuming it has enough wheels).

Spikes are pretty easy and effective ramming upgrades. They cost fuckall time and materials to mount, do good damage, and simply detach when broken. They often protect your vehicle simply by virtue of hitting and killing creatures before your frame collides with them. I am a big fan of spikes.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Also, spergy nitpick: Why was the engine on the Hippie Van in the front? The engine on a Volkswagen Type-2 is in the back. :colbert:

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
Can I put spikes on my rollers?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Wales Grey posted:

Can I put spikes on my rollers?

Not directly on them, sadly, spikes have to be mounted in front of a frame instead of on it. However, I can assure you that a heavily armoured death fortress with a row of spikes in front of road rollers will utterly clobber basically anything. Any monster that eats a hit from the spikes and survives will almost certainly be wasted outright by the rollers if you're going at a half-decent speed. I've yet to test my hellmobile on a shoggoth or similar nightmare critter, but it has brutalized Brutes and Hulks with satisfying efficiency.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Also, spergy nitpick: Why was the engine on the Hippie Van in the front? The engine on a Volkswagen Type-2 is in the back. :colbert:

I think I'm going to start rear-mounting the engine in all my scratch-built vehicles. I really like ramming stuff head-on, and it gets to be a bit of a pain having to gently pat my engine (with an acetylene torch) and apologize for smashing monster faces into it after every big road battle.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jun 2, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I found a wrecked APC, debating on whether or not to pry some armor plating off it for my van. It also had a mounted M2 Browning .50cal with a surprising amount of ammo. Worth mounting? I dunno, but it'd let me emulate this more closely.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I found a wrecked APC, debating on whether or not to pry some armor plating off it for my van. It also had a mounted M2 Browning .50cal with a surprising amount of ammo. Worth mounting? I dunno, but it'd let me emulate this more closely.

Yeah, the M2 is worth mounting. Just make sure you set it to single shot mode if you don't want it to spray 10-ish bullets per squeeze.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Angry Diplomat posted:

Low-speed bumps will still ding up your car a bit, but yeah, if you're patient you can nudge a car a few times to make it roll clear (assuming it has enough wheels).

Spikes are pretty easy and effective ramming upgrades. They cost fuckall time and materials to mount, do good damage, and simply detach when broken. They often protect your vehicle simply by virtue of hitting and killing creatures before your frame collides with them. I am a big fan of spikes.

Actually that reminds me, I only really need to worry about beefing up my outer frames and quarterpanels, right? I mean, assuming I don't put the van through a wall or plow Into another car at high speed those are the only segments that will take damage, right?

This thing is only a mobile base anyways, I don't plan on smashing it through cities. Still I'll inevitably hit some stuff so I want it to stand up to some abuse. Figure I just armor the front and rear, maybe install heavy frames there and mount some blades on the front and it should be good.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jun 2, 2015

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
A brute just punched me through a Fire Station where I landed at the feet of another loving brute!

RIP Gutter Flash. Just finished her battle wagon the day before and never even got to take it for a test drive.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I once saw a Brute punch an NPC clean through a car. As in, her flying body destroyed the entirety of the windshield and supporting frame in a single motion, from the passenger's side to the driver's side, before she finally came to rest on the sidewalk. Needless to say, she was exceedingly dead.

Ass-Haggis
May 27, 2011

asproigerosis confirmed

Angry Diplomat posted:

Needless to say, she was exceedingly dead.

This is such an accurate and endearing turn of phrase!

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I made a lab mutant, and the game informed me that it was unable to place the lab stairs. After thinking for a minute, it went :shrug: and dumped me in a subway shelter. So I guess Subject O the clawed plant monster just crawled out of the subway and bludgeoned a turkey to death for sustenance. And found a massive amount of heroin on a bunch of corpses :stare:

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Actually that reminds me, I only really need to worry about beefing up my outer frames and quarterpanels, right? I mean, assuming I don't put the van through a wall or plow Into another car at high speed those are the only segments that will take damage, right?

Generally yes, but I've actually had zombies somehow end up inside of my car on rare occasions, presumably because they went flying through my windshield. There's nothing quite like letting go of the steering wheel at 60 km/h to frantically bludgeon the confused zombie sitting in your passenger seat.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Angry Diplomat posted:

Generally yes, but I've actually had zombies somehow end up inside of my car on rare occasions, presumably because they went flying through my windshield. There's nothing quite like letting go of the steering wheel at 60 km/h to frantically bludgeon the confused zombie sitting in your passenger seat.

I have a vision of it being like this but with a zombie hulk instead of a normal one.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
An interesting quirk of the vehicle system is that if your car is on a diagonal, you can just walk right through walls that would be solid if the car were straight. I've had mobs wind up inside my car like that.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

Angry Diplomat posted:

I made a lab mutant, and the game informed me that it was unable to place the lab stairs. After thinking for a minute, it went :shrug: and dumped me in a subway shelter. So I guess Subject O the clawed plant monster just crawled out of the subway and bludgeoned a turkey to death for sustenance. And found a massive amount of heroin on a bunch of corpses :stare:

Lab escapes are nice if you find a teleporter to warp out of the bunker entrance or if you have the good luck to run into a connection to a sewer, a common as dirt hacksaw from the dissection labs can be used to saw the grate off and you can spend two days meandering through the sewer(only to find it leads to nowhere). Starting in a lab makes things potentially very easy since you have a guaranteed lab you can explore later to hunt for stuff, plenty of clothes in bedrooms, tools, supplies, mostly low-danger enemies, no need for shelter and the only real priorities are food and escape, which of course can be very hard if it turns out the upstairs are guarded by a turret unless you luck into stairs leading into a barracks armory. This presumes of course that you don't start right next to a turret to get insta-gibbed one turn later by it.

Galm
Oct 31, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

This thing is only a mobile base anyways, I don't plan on smashing it through cities. Still I'll inevitably hit some stuff so I want it to stand up to some abuse. Figure I just armor the front and rear, maybe install heavy frames there and mount some blades on the front and it should be good.
Damage can spill over into nearby tiles, but unless you're going above 30 mph it's fairly low. I could drive my light tank through a forest at 29mph and come out with only a few dents. I use rams (Which is made from vehicle plating) up front to absorb the brunt of the damage.

You'll want to keep any fragile stuff like solar panels away from impact sites.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
So I'm new at this. Murdered by a moose while foraging for berries right outside the shelter, not really the way I expected my first character to go...

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Sounds about right for a character starting out in a shelter well outside city limits. Moose are ornery and will run you over before you're ready.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I'm hearing mixed things on exactly how static static spawns are - is everything static, only the zombies, or something in between?

For example, am I going to run out of wildlife?

Galm
Oct 31, 2009
Static spawn only affects zombies. Wildlife will have a higher chance of spawning as their zombified versions as time passes though.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

You can see this with the "sheltered" start if you play with static spawns. You'll stroll out of your shelter and oh jesus zombie bears zombie wolves zombie moose holy gently caress there are zombie sharks in the river :stare:

Then you walk into town and it's almost a relief to encounter the regular human zombies there.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jun 4, 2015

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
I lost 3 sheltered starters in a row to zombears, I don't make them anymore.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
I have a special place of hate for Zombears. There not as bad as they used to be, but they game used to spawn them constantly. For awhile it was almost impossible for your character to get a full nights sleep, because of them bursting through your base windows every hour on the hour. Even reinforced boarded windows were like tissue paper to them.

Cougars used to be able to teleport through walls and windows, so it wasn't unusual to wake up with one laying in bed next to your character.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
It turns out Marloss berries are one of the best options for keeping yourself fed in the mid/late-game. You have a 10% chance of getting the Marloss Carrier mutation anytime you eat one, and once you do, eating one insta-fills you no matter how hungry you are, gives you a colossal morale boost and spawns additional marloss bushes near you, which have up to 1-9 berries on them. Actually getting the berries in the first place is a bit of a challenge, but once you've got them you can fuel a metabolic cybernetic rampage forever.

Also yeah gently caress zombears.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ducttape posted:

This guide assumes that you are relatively new. I'm not going to go into anything fancy, just a guide to getting up an running. When you are more experienced, you can try some of the fancier builds, or challenge scenarios.

Character creation
Starting the evacuee scenario has the tremendous perk of starting in an evac shelter. This will give you some time to prepare your starting equipment in relative peace.

Since it is relatively simple to make your starting equipment, feel free to choose one of the +1 sp professions (Novice MA or chain smoker would probably be best)

As for skills, Quick is easily the most important. Speed is life, and quick speeds up everything. I would also recommend one of the other speed boosting options; Parkour expert lets you furniture dance, while Fleet-footed gives you a speed bonus on open terrain. Picking both is probably a waste; parkour is a bit better for melee (it is easy to guarantee that zombies are move-locked), and fleet footed is a little better if you are planning to be more ranged. But both movement perks are good for either combat style.

Night vision is also pretty must have; being able to see that extra tile makes night raiding a very good thing. It also makes it a lot easier to loot basements, which tend to have the best goodies.

Some others that you may want to consider (depending on your preference):
Light step is good for night raiding
If you are planning on keeping this character to endgame, Robust genetics makes mutating much more beneficial
Inconspicuous makes it less likely that wandering mobs will get you in your sleep (not usually an issue if you are living in your evac shelter)

Negatives:
You should certainly get negative traits; some of them are basically free points. Since NPC's aren't on by default (and not that great yet), Ugly and Truth-teller have no downsides. Poor hearing is almost a perk, as it will keep you from being awoken; and taking night vision allows you to detect zombies beyond melee range already. Glass jaw is a pretty minor penalty for the points that it gives. Trigger happy is only a problem if you use automatic weapons with few bullets. Lactose intolerance is pretty safe; milk doesn't last very long and the other milk-based foods aren't farmable. Junk food intolerance is so-so; you usually end up eating a lot of this as a young character, but you shouldn't if you have healthier options. Water isn't usually an issue (toilets are plentiful, as is rainwater) so High thirst is usually a safe bet. Insomniac can get a little annoying, but the two points you get are worth it. Weak stomach only serves to magnify the penalty for eating things you shouldn't (later on causes a little problem for using an alcohol burner CBM, but something you can deal with). These should get you over the 12 point threshold

Stats: you want each of these to be at least 11. If you have extra points, strength always benefits (you need 12 to use the best bow, most of the other benefits are to melee, but it does improve your resistance to disease and poison) Dex benefits from bringing it to 12, but not much higher. If you are certain that you want to focus on a ranged character, a 12 perception gives a little benefit, but less than the other stats (whereas less than 11 means that you run the risk of not detecting landmines, which is very bad).

Skills: Looking at the long term, points in skills are wasted, since this is the one area that you will improve. However, if you are just starting out, a single point in dodge lets you skip the most dangerous phase of training.

Preparing
If you started out in the evac shelter, you have a bunch of materials availabe to you.

Removing the curtain from a couple windows gives you string and rags, which can give you thread. Smashing a bench gives you wooden splinters which lets you make wood needles. Start off reinforcing all of your clothing, even if you aren't going to end up wearing them. This should raise your tailoring by a point, so you can make more. If not, make bandanas and reinforce them until you have tailoring of 1. At this point, you want to make clothing that 1) gives you the warmth you need to stay fast, 2) the storage you need, and 3) low encumberance. Consider making a trenchcoat, long underwear pieces, arm and leg warmers, shorts, hand and feet wraps. For your head, you will want to make a balaclava, but that requires 1 point of survival, so you should go outside and forage some bushes until your survival gets to 1.

If you want to start as melee (or after making your outfit you are low on supplies and need to raid now), I recommend making a makeshift crowbar. Get a pipe from smashing a locker, and a rock from outside, and make a makeshift crowbar. If you took quick, you can still sting it faster than regular zombies can move, the +2 to hit is very good when you are starting, and you will need it anyway when you are breaking into houses. If you have a little more time, consider making a nailboard trap out of nails and 2x4's; set it up, wait behind it, and the zombie that steps on it will be damaged and slowed.

If you have the freedom and want to jump in to ranged combat, make a self bow out of a heavy stick and string, lockpicks out of splinters and wooden arrow shafts out of 2x4's until you have 1 fabrication. Practice with the bow on nearby small game until you also have 1 archery; this lets you add nails to the arrow shafts to make field point wooden arrows, which is arrow enough to start.

Your first scavenging trip
Where you should target depends on your build, the time of day, and your requirements:

If you need food and/or water, you should probably find a house at the outskirts of town. Don't worry about bringing consumables back to base yet, just eat what you can. Some things that you will want to grab if available: a caffeinated soda (or other upper), a screwdriver, any aspirin, vitamins, and other 0 volume drugs/items you can find. Basic skill books. If you find a big bag clothing item, strap it on, and begin looting in earnest; just remember that you will have to drop it (and most of your loot) if you plan to engage a zombie in melee.

If it is night time: you are a lot more flexible. Look for a grocery store reasonably close to the edge of town, and head there. When you are close to/in town, tread carefully. If a zombie comes into sight range, walk around them. Once you get to the grocery store, you will hopefully find the most important item for the early game; a shopping cart. Shopping carts hold more volume and weight than you could hope to, and don't cost you any encumbrance while doing so. They are a little annoying to move around, but well worth it for raiding.

If it is day time, but you don't have any pressing needs, you can start some cautious raiding (or wait till night, practicing whatever you want). Go to the outermost house that you can see. If you don't see any hostile creatures, you are free to start looting. If you do, you have to choose to a) engage, or b) loot, while recognizing that you are on a timer before that zombie reaches you. You might want to consider first making sure that you have an exit; smash one of the windows and clear the shards for a back door.

Moving forward
You are going to want to focus on scavenging the outskirts. Try not to take on any of the fancy zombies until you have the skills to do so. Build up your food and water reserve, until you are confident that you could last a few days without going outside. You can also get food and water from the wilderness, but it takes a little more effort. Bushes can be foraged for a lot of things. Pinecones can be cooked into pine nuts. Once you have a gallon jug you can make a funnel to capture rainwater.

Once you have the supplies, you can start the process of long-term survival. Spend a couple days reading the basic skill books (the ones for your style(s) of combat (especially the dance books), basic construction, fabrication, cooking, and tailoring). These are a pretty cheap way to raise your skills, as they don't require you to spend supplies or risk yourself in actual combat; plus many of them contain recipes for things that you really want. You also might want to consider either moving to a safe house closer to town (assuming you can clear the zombies from that area), or just fortifying your starting shelter (board up the windows, dig pit traps, etc.)

After this, the world is your oyster. Pick a goal and go for it.

silentsnack posted:

If you want to grind some skills and make good gear quickly and but don't have a lot of supplies or are not in a totally isolated/safe area, the time and materials for crafting can be significant.

Train Survival 1 by repeatedly crafting a sheet into a 'makeshift sling' and then (D)isassembling the sling back into a sheet, 2 minutes per cycle.
Train Survival 2 by crafting Digging Sticks (stick or 2x4) 20 minutes

Train Tailoring 1 by crafting a few rags into a 'hand wrap' or 'foot rags' and can be disassembled if you don't have a ton of rags 2 minutes per cycle and doesn't require a needle and doesn't consume thread.
Train Tailoring 2 by crafting Light Gloves (takes 3 rags, needle, 4 thread)
Train Tailoring 3 by crafting a balaclava (requires Survival1 and takes 4 rags, 3 thread, 5 minutes

Train Fabrication 1 by making fishing hooks, because that takes relatively little in-game time and only requires nails plus a rock or chunk of steel (from breaking a locker or shelf) takes 1 minute
Train Fabrication 2 by making knitting needles which takes 3 minutes and 2 skewers which you can get by cutting up a wooden object... such as a digging stick.
Train Fabrication 3 by making a distaff/spindle (2x4 or stick) takes 6 minutes

Fabrication is generally for making tools, weapons, and a crapload of handy things.

Some potentially very good things to craft:
Tailoring1+Survival1 lets you craft a balaclava, which is very good for keeping your head warm.
Tailoring2 lets you craft a duffel bag (good for storage, bad for combat)
Tailoring3 lets you make a hoodie and trenchcoat which both give good warmth and storage and you can wear one of each with zero encumberance

Survival1 lets you make a 'self bow' which is obviously a crappy bow that is basically useless, but if you want to start down the path to a world of pincushions... skip this anyway.
Fabrication3+Archery3 is the actual starting point for Archery since it lets you make arrows that aren't garbage... chicken-and-egg how to train Archery, except:
Fabrication2 lets you make a blowgun (takes darts which can be crafted at zero skill) which lets you train Archery until it's actually useful

A lot of crafts require Survival 1 or 2 for cooking/weapons/tools.

The precision and attack speed make Cudgel probably the best thing against skeleton dogs, which are bothersome when you have no armor and low skills.

Cudgel does less damage per hit and attacks faster, which lets you train Melee skill and Bashing Weapons quickly... which is handy because Bashing2 (and Fabrication3) lets you craft a Quarterstaff which is fast and hits hard. Speaking of bashing weapons...

If you want a to break into (out of) some interesting places, need to have the right ID card (which can be hard to find) or hack a computer... or just (s)mash a wall. To break through a wooden wall, you need your strength (+ the 'bash' damage dmg value on the item description) more than 30. This lets you loot Gun Stores(!) and the locked room in a Doctor's Office, and enter (or exit!) a Lab and break into the CBM storage vaults inside a Lab Just be careful when demolishing walls and stand outside if possible because sometimes the roof can collapse.

Homewrecker has bash:28 and requires no skill to craft, just some long strings and 4 chunks of steel. To get the string, either tear down a lot of curtains or craft a Short Rope from 30 rags (requires Tailoring3) and disassemble it for 6 strings (do this twice because you need 8)

I'm re-posting these to get them added to the OP they're both very necessary and important.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Turtlicious posted:

I'm re-posting these to get them added to the OP they're both very necessary and important.

Has the OP even posted here in ages?

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
His last post was a long time ago suggesting we make a new thread because he doesn't play anymore.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Has anyone got detailed info on weapon and martial art special attacks? Some stuff is either obvious, like rapid strike, and others are easy to interpret after you use them like brutal strike. But there's still so much I don't know about the melee system, how does block differ from parry? I know some martial arts forms can activate special moves even when you're not fighting bare handed in some versions but is that still true?

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
It looks like if you get the accompanying marloss traits from marloss berries, gelatin and seeds, you get the 'Marloss Gateway' mutation, your body will reject any other mutagen and the fungal shrubs that spawn will now be filled with 'mycus fruit'. Eating one of them will start you down the fungal mutation path, with further fruit having a chance to mutate you.

Problem is you have a very high chance of getting 'Mycus Feeder' if you eat any more fruit, which only allows you to eat mycus fruit from then on. You can't eat any marloss items after you pass the fungal threshold, and eating mycus fruit doesn't spawn any other bushes. I haven't found a way to obtain them through any other means either. Even purifier will be rejected, so you're doomed to slow but eventual starvation.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

CheeseThief posted:

Has anyone got detailed info on weapon and martial art special attacks? Some stuff is either obvious, like rapid strike, and others are easy to interpret after you use them like brutal strike. But there's still so much I don't know about the melee system, how does block differ from parry? I know some martial arts forms can activate special moves even when you're not fighting bare handed in some versions but is that still true?

Parrying just prevents all damage.

Blocking makes you take half damage, and always to the arm (or sometimes leg) you used to block. So I guess if you have a martial art that gives blocking, you should prioritize arm protection.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I have just discovered this game doesn't Alt-Tab brilliantly with other games.

Also what the fucks a Mi-Go and why did it just loving destroy my face?

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jun 4, 2015

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Parrying just prevents all damage.

Blocking makes you take half damage, and always to the arm (or sometimes leg) you used to block. So I guess if you have a martial art that gives blocking, you should prioritize arm protection.

Does that apply to weapons with block as well?

Gridlocked posted:

I have just discovered this game doesn't Alt-Tab brilliantly with other games.

Fullscreen mode is quite unstable, I found it hates anything using flash player in the background. Windowed doesn't have that problem.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

CheeseThief posted:

Fullscreen mode is quite unstable, I found it hates anything using flash player in the background. Windowed doesn't have that problem.

Honestly I have it in Windowed and I tried alt-tabbing with Warcraft open and the window just goes all black and I can't interact with it.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Gridlocked posted:

Also what the fucks a Mi-Go and why did it just loving destroy my face?

Space Fungus from Yuugoth, a planet in our solar system beyond Pluto. They're a Lovecraft creature. A popular rendition of their appearance:

In Cataclysm, they're an enemy in the same "family" as the Gracken and Keck. They imitate human speech and are sometimes found near dead science and military teams.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Gridlocked posted:

Honestly I have it in Windowed and I tried alt-tabbing with Warcraft open and the window just goes all black and I can't interact with it.

The black screen goes away as soon as I refresh (f.e go to inventory or character screen) the window. YMMV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Wales Grey posted:

In Cataclysm, they're an enemy in the same "family" as the Gracken and Keck. They imitate human speech and are sometimes found near dead science and military teams.

Yeah, ran into one of these and a kreck engaged in taking apart a coyote on a road right outside of town on the first foray from the shelter. That character...didn't last long.

I've yet to have anyone survive leaving the shelter for longer than five minutes, honestly.