Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

Somberbrero posted:

It's not just insubstantial, setup speculation in lieu of real thought is scummy.

To be honest that sounds like a difficult way to play. New players get dealt scum sometimes, let them handle it.

It gets a little annoying but I've made a strict policy to not vote newbies in early days until they've got several games under their belt. It's worth eating a couple losses if it grows the community; if you get dunked early game over and over you never learn anything, get frustrated, and quit signing up for games. I think the best way to handle it is even if a newbie's being SUPER loving scummy, save it for later in the game, let them gently caress up a bunch, then when things are pretty well wrapped up you can dunk them and present them with a well built case that shows exactly where their missteps were. I've pretty much always stuck to this rule and it's worked out pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

CCKeane posted:

This is a compelling point.

IDK that sounds a lot like pirate to me.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
This must be what it's like to have people talking over your head :sigh:

Therefore I assume Somberbrero's got no case and is just making GBS threads around. Go for it. Excuse my SUPER SCUMMY SETUP SPECULATION.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

dscruffy1 posted:

Therefore I assume Somberbrero's got no case and is just making GBS threads around. Go for it. Excuse my SUPER SCUMMY SETUP SPECULATION.

Yo when you're talking about mechanics before you're talking about alignment it's because, whether or not you know it, setup chat is a great way to appear to be contributing content without actually helping to find the scum.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Somberbrero posted:

Yo when you're talking about mechanics before you're talking about alignment it's because, whether or not you know it, setup chat is a great way to appear to be contributing content without actually helping to find the scum.

Please elaborate on the myriad ways to actually help to find the scum in early d1 because the only one I can think of is a random pressure vote. I would love to hear this :allears:

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'm feeling less confident about QPQ being scum now so ##unvote. I don't think The Betrayer is scum and I'm usually pretty good at spotting him out.

##vote Met because I think merk fear is the best case for today.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Met posted:

"Yeah you can hang me if you want."
"He's scum with merk fear."

The Ninth Layer posted:

##vote Met because I think merk fear is the best case for today. :downs:

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Merk is a good player.
Scum would want to kill merk instead of trying to lynch him.
You killed merk instead of trying to lynch him.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

a better reason to argue met killed merk is that merk was heavily implying he held a vig

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

The Ninth Layer posted:

Merk is a good player.
Scum would want to kill merk instead of trying to lynch him.
You killed merk instead of trying to lynch him.

I decided to suicide as scum to get rid of one townie. That's much more likely than any other situation. Okay.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

dscruffy1 posted:

Please elaborate on the myriad ways to actually help to find the scum in early d1 because the only one I can think of is a random pressure vote. I would love to hear this :allears:

Are you aware that there's game outside of the conversation we're having? I feel like you're focusing on this dyad as an excuse to not engage the content of the game as a whole.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Somberbrero posted:

Are you aware that there's game outside of the conversation we're having? I feel like you're focusing on this dyad as an excuse to not engage the content of the game as a whole.

Content of the game as a whole. Okay.

Gulag Dolls has about as much "content" as I do, by your metric.

CCKeane has less.

Gridlocked posted:

Actually you know I agree with this, stabbing a guy just because you are having a poo poo slinging fight is stupid and a waste of a good stab.

##vote met

Why aren't you voting for met? Is there something in the mess of posts and interpersonal arguments I don't understand that I missed about QPQ.

Gridlocked seems to be pushing hard for met. But a lot of people are pushing hard for met. Probably because it was a really queer vig that resulted in a town death.

QuoProQuidis defensive to MEDS CURE SCHIZOS is mostly dismissive of it. Which seems about par for the course for anyone who's thinking YEP SURE GOT THAT SCUM.

Opopanax is pushing hard for met and away from QPQ.

Speaking of QPQ,

QuoProQuid posted:

Assuming Ecco is telling the truth about his/her flip:

- LUTR looks very good. A scum player wouldn't be that combative with their ally on D1 (1), (2);
- Also liking Gridlocked a wee bit more, as there would be no reason to shoot down a defense of your partner (3);
- Liking merk quite a bit less due to Ecco's dismissal of the case against him as "a dumb thing" (4);
- Kill all players trying to perpetuate the joke phase.

still seems fishy and then deflects to me. To you. And then agrees with you on "new player lovely scum" basis.

Tremendous Taste is white noise. I'm sure there's things worth looking at there but the first page isn't it.

And then there's you. Pretty much your only response so far has been responding to Gridlocked's vote and "what do you think of dscruffy1"

Also I guess mills and shanakin are in the game in theory. Ecco gambit I guess.

PinterestMom stabbed ecco for what seems like dumb reasons and it was scum. Doesn't seem like something scum would do to scum given knowledge but I'm sure that's happened before.

Right now I don't like Opopanax, Gridlocked, and I'm going to ##vote QuoProQuid

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Met posted:

I decided to suicide as scum to get rid of one townie. That's much more likely than any other situation. Okay.

This happens all the time, especially to get rid of strong aggressive town. In a nightless setup when you can't get rid of a player like merk by just killing him, this is even more true. If a player is a danger to your entire scum team, trading one member for them is a good deal.

Also you seem alive, so.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Look Under The Rock posted:

This happens all the time, especially to get rid of strong aggressive town. In a nightless setup when you can't get rid of a player like merk by just killing him, this is even more true. If a player is a danger to your entire scum team, trading one member for them is a good deal.

Also you seem alive, so.

Trading someone worth 3 townies for one townie is not a good trade especially when merk was acting like a nincompoop.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

The Ninth Layer posted:

I'm feeling less confident about QPQ being scum now so ##unvote. I don't think The Betrayer is scum and I'm usually pretty good at spotting him out.

##vote Met because I think merk fear is the best case for today.

Yeah, I'm down.

##vote Met

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Met posted:

It makes more sense than you suicided as town because you couldn't stand to be voted for a whole hour by merk.

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Day 3 Vote Count

Met (5): Gridlocked, GulagDolls, Tremendous Taste, Opopanax, -GulagDolls, The Ninth Layer, CCKeane
MEDS CURE SCHIZOS (3): QuoProQuid, GulagDolls, Somberbrero
QuoProQuid (2): The Ninth Layer, MEDS CURE SCHIZOS, GulagDolls, -GulagDolls, -The Ninth Layer, dscruffy1
Gridlocked (1): Met

ETA to deadline: 1 day, 4 hours

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

The Ninth Layer posted:

It makes more sense than you suicided as town because you couldn't stand to be voted for a whole hour by merk.

Who suicided? You're purposefully misrepresenting what I actually said.

Met posted:

Yes, it turned out to be. From my point of view, I need to go out for the day and someone is on my rear end when I have a dayvig in my pocket. I don't feel like coming back lynched and a wasted vig.

Met posted:

I stand by the merk vote. It's a vote based on actions in the game as opposed to a vote based on actions before a game. It's only a foot higher on the hill but I find it to be a solid vote reasoning in a nightless Mafia unless someone scumslips horribly.

Tremendous Taste posted:

if it catches on and met flips town it's avoidable via housekeeping/principle argument

if it doesn't catch on he can retreat and say it's because of the post he made earlier

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

It's you who characterized your play as suicidal, not me.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Again, misrepresenting my position. I exclaimed it would be suicidal as scum to do so.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I don't see how a play could be suicidal for scum to make but at the same time stand as a savvy move if town did it. What you did was scummy as hell as either alignment.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

MEDS CURE SCHIZOS posted:

I am happy and calm. :angel:

However, I figure that prefacing any response to QuoProQuid with "You're a loving moron" is suitably visible enough to fall into his idea that scum would hate to put themselves out into the open, and I want him to attempt to reconcile his vote: Either he's clearly voting based on OMGUS, or he has some deeper secret Eleusinian Mysteries Mafia knowledge that he should share with everyone else.

No, what you are doing is not really "throwing yourself out in the open." All that is happening is that you are being childish and unpleasant, so I stand by my recommendation that you need to chill out. All I intended was that when it comes to content, it is generally not the goal of scum to stick out. There are exceptions to this, especially if hiding amongst the crowd has been ruled out as a viable option, but I usually find it safe to assume that scum will go with the flow instead of fighting against the current. I never demanded that you follow this line of thought, only that it is what I tend to use in Mafia, especially early on.

My case against you is that you jump on a case that seems like its gaining momentum and leave plenty of room to distance yourself if it turns belly up ("Oh, I just voted for better play") (1). You then completely ignore the weird as hell vig against merk in an attempt to revive a bandwagon that you are barely attached to (2). I really don't like you trying to misconstrue this as a simple retaliatory measure (3) because it feels dishonest. Going to ignore literally every other comment between that and the one I am quoting.

dscruffy1 posted:

Somber has already mentioned that part of the issue is set-up speculation replacing actual scumhunting (4) but for me a large part of your problem is that you seem to be aware that you aren't contributing anything (5). It would be one thing for a player to get distracted trying to figure out the game logically, but you seem consciously rejecting the idea that any kind of contribution can be made (5), which is both unhelpful and scummy.

Tremendous Taste posted:

a better reason to argue met killed merk is that merk was heavily implying he held a vig

Okay, I still don't buy the Met case but this is at least the better explanation I was looking for.

dscruffy1 posted:

Content of the game as a whole. Okay.

Gulag Dolls has about as much "content" as I do, by your metric.

CCKeane has less.

Gridlocked seems to be pushing hard for met. But a lot of people are pushing hard for met. Probably because it was a really queer vig that resulted in a town death.

QuoProQuidis defensive to MEDS CURE SCHIZOS is mostly dismissive of it. Which seems about par for the course for anyone who's thinking YEP SURE GOT THAT SCUM.

Opopanax is pushing hard for met and away from QPQ.

Speaking of QPQ,

still seems fishy and then deflects to me. To you. And then agrees with you on "new player lovely scum" basis.

Tremendous Taste is white noise. I'm sure there's things worth looking at there but the first page isn't it.

And then there's you. Pretty much your only response so far has been responding to Gridlocked's vote and "what do you think of dscruffy1"

PinterestMom stabbed ecco for what seems like dumb reasons and it was scum. Doesn't seem like something scum would do to scum given knowledge but I'm sure that's happened before.

Right now I don't like Opopanax, Gridlocked, and I'm going to ##vote QuoProQuid

Hypocritical, I know, but this is almost entirely a brief summary of the bleeding obvious.

Scruffy, you mention that Gridlocked seems to be pushing to lynch Met. Why talk about Gridlocked in particular when, as you say, "a lot of people are pushing hard for met?" Do you find anything suspicious about his behavior or his vote in particular? If so, what?

Can you provide some explanations as to why you think people are engaging in these behaviors? Just listing off what has happened over the last ten pages isn't immensely helpful.

Met posted:

Who suicided? You're purposefully misrepresenting what I actually said.

What confuses me is how you are framing the kill. You don't initially explain your attack on merk as a result of your suspicions, but because "someone was on [your] rear end" (6). That kind of motivation doesn't entirely make sense for a town player, who should be motivated by finding scum above personal survival. It reads like you are just retaliating against someone who appears to be a threat against you, which is 3P behavior at best.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

dscruffy1 posted:

I asked Gulag why s/he wasn't voting for met because it was his/her all-caps comment that it was a bad stab that tiped me over voting for met. I don't think I'd want to waste a vote on a guy just because I don't like the way he was constantly having personal arguments with people in the thread, but the fact he used a game mechanic to "win" was stupid.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Also sorry I haven't been posting as much as in Krem but I just got the Witcher 3

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
Oh hey there isn't 200 posts of people awkwardly insulting eachother to get through today, nice. A double stabbing really slowed things down, oddly enough. I guess the extra time frame helps, or rather hinders discussion.

dscruffy1 posted:

Gonna have to agree. This game has help my interest less than I was expecting it to.

Somberbrero posted:

I agree in theory, but in practice it can be kind of hard when you're not entirely familiar with intricacies of the game, scumhunting and all that. In my last game a basically convinced everyone I was scum, when I wasn't, simply by trying in earnest to post actual content and doing my own attempt at scum hunting. I admit there was some bad luck and timing in there but eh.

Personally there's an awful lot of content in this thread, but so little actually stands out beyond the petty bickering of recent days. Everyone's arguments end up looking about as good as each others. QPQ kind of stands out as either trying hard, or trying too hard. Tasty also stands out for just being everywhere. A few people stand out by their absence, probably myself included, but I can currently empathise with that so hell I dunno.

Question, what does OMGUS stand for?

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Shanakin posted:

This game has help my interest less than I was expecting it to.

That seems like a failing on your part rather than a failing of the game itself. Lots of stuff has happened, it really should not be that hard to have opinions on things.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Shanakin posted:

Oh My God, U Suck

Argument/voting because you're mad at someone, or because they dare to vote you, etc

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

LUTR I got a sick deck of CAT TAROT

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Shanakin posted:

Personally there's an awful lot of content in this thread, but so little actually stands out beyond the petty bickering of recent days. Everyone's arguments end up looking about as good as each others. QPQ kind of stands out as either trying hard, or trying too hard. Tasty also stands out for just being everywhere. A few people stand out by their absence, probably myself included, but I can currently empathise with that so hell I dunno.

I agree entirely on the amount of content. Perhaps it is because it's our second game and we don't know how to tell the content from the filler but yeah, I too am having issues filtering though it all. People making personal attacks and arguments and poo poo doesn't help at all.

And in all seriousness can someone post a list of acronyms and their meanings for us?

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

WIFOM: Whining Idiot Failure Of Mafia

OMGUS: Oh My Gus

LUTR: Look Under the Rock

LLUTR: Lynch Look Under the Rock

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Look Under The Rock posted:

That seems like a failing on your part rather than a failing of the game itself. Lots of stuff has happened, it really should not be that hard to have opinions on things.

That may be so, and maybe mafia just isn't for me.

Tremendous Taste posted:

Oh My God, U Suck

Argument/voting because you're mad at someone, or because they dare to vote you, etc

Thanks. It seemed like its usage was something like that but I couldn't work out what the US stood for.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

GulagDolls posted:

WIFOM: Whining Idiot Failure Of Mafia

OMGUS: Oh My Gus

LUTR: Look Under the Rock

LLUTR: Lynch Look Under the Rock

GDI

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Gulag Dolls Idiot

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

what happened to your retsuprae

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Tremendous Taste posted:

LUTR I got a sick deck of CAT TAROT

freal tell me all about it (in the DJ room so as not to gently caress up game)

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

QuoProQuid posted:

Can you provide some explanations as to why you think people are engaging in these behaviors? Just listing off what has happened over the last ten pages isn't immensely helpful.

Off the top of my head I'd say it's easy to vote for met as HE LYNCHED TOWN A BLOO BLOO BLOO. He's already obvious as gently caress so it won't exactly be hard to make a case later.

I think people (you) are engaging in these behaviors because you're scum and it looks like town participation. Hope this helps.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

You're a loving moron.

I'm not attaching myself to a case with a justification that I can walk back from for two reasons.

A: This isn't a game where there's some magical revelation that's going to allow me to go "Whoa, okay, maybe they are a lovely candidate for a lynch, I can't continue to vote for a claimed doctor". There's no goddamned way out of the game, and unless someone actually claims scum and says to vote for them, my vote is staying right the gently caress here.

B: For years I have advocated that people should pursue cases with vigor and enthusiasm, rather than half-heartedly imply something and then be able to walk it back. Hesitation is weakness.

But let's actually look at your ridiculous drivel, shall we?

QuoProQuid posted:

All I intended was that when it comes to content, it is generally not the goal of scum to stick out. There are exceptions to this, especially if hiding amongst the crowd has been ruled out as a viable option, but I usually find it safe to assume that scum will go with the flow instead of fighting against the current. I never demanded that you follow this line of thought, only that it is what I tend to use in Mafia, especially early on.

The first half of this thought is literally "Scum don't like to stick out, unless they do." Congratulations on not only saying nothing, but trying to couch it in a way that defends and clarifies that you said absolutely loving nothing. You claim that I'm twisting your words around, but the sad fact of the matter is that you went from a statement that was laughably incorrect to one that is nothing but white noise in an attempt to look like you actually posted something. You should have said nothing.

quote:

My case against you is that you jump on a case that seems like its gaining momentum and leave plenty of room to distance yourself if it turns belly up ("Oh, I just voted for better play") (1). You then completely ignore the weird as hell vig against merk in an attempt to revive a bandwagon that you are barely attached to (2). I really don't like you trying to misconstrue this as a simple retaliatory measure (3) because it feels dishonest. Going to ignore literally every other comment between that and the one I am quoting.

No, your case against me is "Waaaaah, he voted for me, TWICE".

I'm ignoring the vigilante kill against merk because, surprise surprise, merk flipped town. The only thing I stand to gain from staring at a townperson's flip is "Who wanted merk dead", which is a long list because merk is an rear end in a top hat. I can't say "Well, so&so was really protecting merk..." because there's no actual alignment call to be made there. It's loving useless and a red herring to second-guess it like this. Convenient for you, because you don't actually have any opinions, you're just rambling about nothing and trying to justify the fact that you're indignant that someone has called you out on being worthless.

quote:

Somber has already mentioned that part of the issue is set-up speculation replacing actual scumhunting (4) but for me a large part of your problem is that you seem to be aware that you aren't contributing anything (5). It would be one thing for a player to get distracted trying to figure out the game logically, but you seem consciously rejecting the idea that any kind of contribution can be made (5), which is both unhelpful and scummy.

If you find him scummy, vote for him. If you don't find it scummy, it's a waste of goddamn time to point it out.

quote:

Okay, I still don't buy the Met case but this is at least the better explanation I was looking for.

So the vigilante kill on merk was, in your words "weird as hell" and it's scummy that I ignored it, but you don't buy a case on the guy. Good to see you're covering all of your bases again.

quote:

Scruffy, you mention that Gridlocked seems to be pushing to lynch Met. Why talk about Gridlocked in particular when, as you say, "a lot of people are pushing hard for met?" Do you find anything suspicious about his behavior or his vote in particular? If so, what?

You're begging the question and asking someone else to provide content, rather than acknowledge any of it yourself. I don't know why I'm in the least big surprised that you're desperately trying to avoid anything that could possibly be misconstrued as 'actual thought'.

quote:

More requests for explanation! QuoProQuid needs your help, everyone! He can't understand this Mafia game on his own, he needs you to help form his opinion for him so that he can hide behind the fact that you made a convincing case when he inevitably ends up on the bandwagon of a townsperson!

quote:

What confuses me is how you are framing the kill. You don't initially explain your attack on merk as a result of your suspicions, but because "someone was on [your] rear end" (6). That kind of motivation doesn't entirely make sense for a town player, who should be motivated by finding scum above personal survival. It reads like you are just retaliating against someone who appears to be a threat against you, which is 3P behavior at best.

I am going to pretend that all of this ambivalence and completely useless alignment talk didn't actually happen, because I don't want to contemplate why you just invoked the concept of Ideal Town as well as a possible third party entity in a game with absolutely no evidence whatsoever that third party players exist.

Ladies and gentlemen, QuoProQuid is either too goddamn stupid to be allowed to live long enough to actually influence lynches, or he's the laziest scum ever trying to hide under everyone else's opinions so that he can distance himself from them if he gets caught out.

Do your patriotic duty as proud non-rebelling sailors. Vote early, vote often, vote QuoProQuid.

##unvote

##vote QuoProQuid

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

QuoProQuid posted:

My vote had been on him all game, I didn't have time to babysit the game all day and I didn't want to come back to a lynch with a vig in the pocket.

I don't know what TT was talking about merk hinting I had a vig. That didn't have anything to do with it.

But you guys go ahead and lynch me and then explain to each other how it wasn't a bad lynch. At least you guys will have something to work with tomorrow.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Just giving the thread a heads up that I PMed Quandary for a replacement. Between the day job needing me to help out some other people as deadlines are approaching and the night job needing having to a bunch of crap to deal with over red cards, appeals, and referee assault after last night, I'm not going to have the time to play in a daily game. Sorry about that and thanks for understanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

chaoslord posted:

Just giving the thread a heads up that I PMed Quandary for a replacement. Between the day job needing me to help out some other people as deadlines are approaching and the night job needing having to a bunch of crap to deal with over red cards, appeals, and referee assault after last night, I'm not going to have the time to play in a daily game. Sorry about that and thanks for understanding.

Aw poo poo, I am sorry to hear that.

I also didn't know you were a ref.

• Locked thread