Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I hate gambling and/or losing. I'm IN. Flash rule, maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Posthumor posted:

I'm in for gambling & would like flash rule.
Old Maid. To the death.

JcDent posted:

I hate gambling and/or losing. I'm IN. Flash rule, maybe?
One of your characters lives by the rule "It's not cheating if you don't get caught." Tonight, however, their preferred methods are unavailable to them.

Bonus points if you make them likable despite their habits.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

Fuschia tude posted:

Enchanted Hat - The Monster of Adelphia

Thanks for the crit! Also in for this week

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

JcDent posted:

I hate gambling and/or losing.

How appropriate, I hate you.

The plural you, that is. I'm not playing favorites.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

:siren:
Okay so I guess the OP does technically say that posts will be judged by the last week's winner and two selected co judges so if you feel that you were UNFAIRLY DEPRIVED OF JUDGEMENT please, hesitate to PM me and I'll change your avatar back or whatever.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
lol

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
bye

anime was right fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Oct 27, 2015

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Congratulations to the first guy in TD's three-year history to complain to the mods over judgment.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jun 3, 2015

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Bad seafood, perhaps you should allow Thranguy to make some of the flash rules, especially since this is his first win.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

(10:57:21 PM) BadSeafood: But yeah I love gambling stories. Is it alright if I offer flash rules?
(10:57:57 PM) Thranguy: Okay, so that's set up. Sure, go ahead and offer flash rules, was just about to say that I wasn't going to myself but that it would be fine.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

blue squares posted:

Bad seafood, perhaps you should allow Thranguy to make some of the flash rules, especially since this is his first win.

Nah, I decided to pass that responsibility to the co-judges.

Also, thanks for the crits to you, Bad Seafood, Angel Opportunity, Fuscia Tude, and Sitting Here

Thranguy fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jun 3, 2015

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Take a gamble with Djeser's flash rules. Are you going to have to write about an egg? Only one way to find out.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Bad Seafood posted:

Congratulations to the first guy in TD's three-year history to complain to the mods over judgment.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Bad Seafood posted:

(10:57:21 PM) BadSeafood: But yeah I love gambling stories. Is it alright if I offer flash rules?
(10:57:57 PM) Thranguy: Okay, so that's set up. Sure, go ahead and offer flash rules, was just about to say that I wasn't going to myself but that it would be fine.

Good deal, my bad

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
For the record, the person who complained wasn't Fausty. Hit me up in irc if you actually care who it was. Which you shouldn't.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Djeser posted:

Take a gamble with Djeser's flash rules. Are you going to have to write about an egg? Only one way to find out.

hit me

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

An adventurer wagers a pricless artifact.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
gently caress it, :toxx: and give me a flash rule.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Jonked posted:

gently caress it, :toxx: and give me a flash rule.
Your protagonist is the person being bet on, and they're none too happy about it.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

newtestleper posted:

For the record, the person who complained wasn't Fausty. Hit me up in irc if you actually care who it was. Which you shouldn't.
You're really gonna do me like that, aren't you?

Fine. Let's get it all out. It was me. I was the one who got a mod involved. And you wanna know why? It's because three judges are required per prompt. Every one of us who signed up went in blind but I was the only one who asked why there wasn't two other judges I'd be lying if I said this wasn't personal, but you know what T-Rex, how would I know if your decision to make me a dishonorable mention wasn't personal? How do I know that there isn't still any antagonism on your end towards me? Even after that brawl we settled? I don't but what I do know is that I poured a lot of heart and soul into a story which was incredibly unpleasant to write and did not need to be posted. But it did not deserve the DM. That's why I'm crying foul. Because this week should be null and void. Because you broke the rules. And all I have to go on is how you have an extra-special crit ready for me:

Tyrannosaurus posted:

Wait for my crit, darling.

You know what, T-Rex? Keep it to yourself. You are no more qualified to judge anybody than I am.

Newtesleper, you think you can say "I know who did it" and then scurry off where I can't go? You are a two-faced snake.

To everyone else: call me a rat, call me a snitch, call me every last nasty name in the book. I don't care. Don't for a minute think that you, or anybody else, can break the rules. Because it's not about the rules, it's about us. It's about how we're supposed to be a community of writers and a competition but if one person breaks the rules, that completely destroys any confidence in what we have. I love the Thunderdome and I won't stand for this. I won't stand by and have our community turn into a prison gang.

Either of you have a problem with me? Anybody have a problem with me? Good. You know where to find me, I'm going nowhere.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
bye

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
too lazy to find the post i made earlier so ill just repeat it

oh my god shut up nobody cares

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

We've had two-judge weeks before.

Noah always judges solo.

No rules were broken.

Rest assured though I read your story and it awful. Had I accepted Tyrannosaurus' offer to co-judge in IRC I would have agreed with him 100%.

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

The Smart Baseball Dargon Sez:

"Baseball is chaos!"

His bat is signed by Carl "Yaz" Yastrzemski

Benny the Snake posted:

[Sounds of a retarded monkey child flailing and flinging its own poop]

Broenheim posted:

oh my god shut up nobody cares

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Kinda weird it's Benny going off about the rules though considering he breaks them all the time when it suits him.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Benny the Snake posted:

Fine. Let's get it all out. It was me. I was the one who got a mod involved. And you wanna know why? It's because three judges are required per prompt. Every one of us who signed up went in blind but I was the only one who asked why there wasn't two other judges I'd be lying if I said this wasn't personal, but you know what T-Rex, how would I know if your decision to make me a dishonorable mention wasn't personal? How do I know that there isn't still any antagonism on your end towards me? Even after that brawl we settled? I don't but what I do know is that I poured a lot of heart and soul into a story which was incredibly unpleasant to write and did not need to be posted. But it did not deserve the DM. That's why I'm crying foul. Because this week should be null and void. Because you broke the rules. And all I have to go on is how you have an extra-special crit ready for me:

You know what, T-Rex? Keep it to yourself. You are no more qualified to judge anybody than I am.

Newtesleper, you think you can say "I know who did it" and then scurry off where I can't go? You are a two-faced snake.

To everyone else: call me a rat, call me a snitch, call me every last nasty name in the book. I don't care. Don't for a minute think that you, or anybody else, can break the rules. Because it's not about the rules, it's about us. It's about how we're supposed to be a community of writers and a competition but if one person breaks the rules, that completely destroys any confidence in what we have. I love the Thunderdome and I won't stand for this. I won't stand by and have our community turn into a prison gang.

Either of you have a problem with me? Anybody have a problem with me? Good. You know where to find me, I'm going nowhere.

hi. I'm Sitting T. Here, you may know me from such works as, the OP of this thread and the OP of the last thread. im here to talk to you today about STOP RULES LAWYERING THE THREAD.

judgment in TD has never been an objective ruling by objective people. lol at anyone who thinks it is. this isn't loving FIFA it's a silly internet writing thread with a loose competitive aspect to help drive interest. Plus, there have been plenty of weeks with atypical judging arrangements. We have the "rule" of 3 because there needs to be a guideline, and 3 is the lowest possible number of judges where you can break a tie.

Benny, I appreciate your enthusiasm about maintaining the spirit of TD. But in this case, the thread is now derailing because of something that, in the grand scheme of things doesn't matter as long as we're all writing and critting.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
bye

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Benny the Snake posted:

Hail, all ye writers, all ye readers, for a reminderI bring upon thee, that once in the year 2014, this Benny the Snake, venerable police-seer of rules of of Great Thunderdome, May the Blood Gods Forever Hold its Name True, broke the rules in such a spectacularly dumb fashion that everyone clamoured and tantrumed for his banishment, but I alone said nay, for he shall be absolved for his crimes through sound and just punishment, and for my efforts spat he in my face after one year, whence he believed memories are as fragile as his wit:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3598931&pagenumber=46&perpage=40#post426936855

Arbiter and Enforcer, venerable AI Kaishai posted:

You've been added to the list, but I'd like to draw your attention to this part of the prompt:

Kaishai posted:
Realistically, this is a difficult rule to enforce, and I'm counting somewhat on an honor system, but if I do find out you've asked for help it's an instant DQ for you.

Keep it in mind, hmm?

Judas of our times, Benny the Snake, hisses his name posted:

I'm very much aware :tipshat

Clamourer for Death, Muffin, he of the puffing of chests and deliciousness of pastries posted:

Ah, that would explain why you've been asking Fanky and Sebmojo to help you edit your piece, then.

We talk, dude. You are the worst cheater. As in, you are terrible at it.

Whatever you submit had better be an entirely new story from the one you've been passing around this week.

Quote I, for I was of Mercy, though Perhaps Ill-Placed, and Woe Shalt it be to me for I have placed them on the wrong soul posted:

IN LIGHT of this incredible development, it has been convened, and it has been agreed, that for you, Benny the Snake - in order for your story to escape both disqualification and/or humiliation, the following FLASH RULES shall be applicable to you:

1. YOU MUST WRITE A NEW STORY other than the one attempted to be shown to, or has been shown to, Sebmojo and Fanky Malloons. We are fully aware we cannot control this, so let your own conscience be your guide.

2. YOUR STORY MUST PROMOTE THE FOLLOWING MATTERS AS GREAT VIRTUES:

(a) reading and listening to instructions carefully
(b) not being a liar.

We look forward to reading your story!

Yet, with such rule-breakage our community, said Grand Thunderdome, Praise the Gods for Its Perseverance, continued to grow and stay strong, despite you, ye Snake, ye of Hisses and Hydras, ye who continues to befell yourself upon us despite us who looks at you with eyes of disdain and whispers of jeerings, prostrate yourself now and allow the Gods to judge upon thee, for we shan't. Let the shame wash upon your soul.

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

The Smart Baseball Dargon Sez:

"Baseball is chaos!"

His bat is signed by Carl "Yaz" Yastrzemski

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

new rule i just made up: if 10 people emptyquote this, benny the snake, the legendary rulebreaker, is banned from entering the thunderdome ever again

Kaishai
Nov 3, 2010

Scoffing at modernity.
For the benefit of newcomers to the thread who may be unaware and confused:

There is precedent for anywhere from one to five judges for Thunderdome. Three is the strongly suggested number, and like "no fanfiction" and "no erotica," it is stated in the OP as a rule. Like nearly every rule there is, it may be rendered void by the lead judge at will. The one, true law of Thunderdome is ius iudicis. Judge's law. The prize for winning Thunderdome is to decide the rules for a week, just as the price of winning Thunderdome is the obligation to read upward of 20,000 words of fiction and render a verdict before someone hunts you down to brand FJGJ on your flesh.

It isn't Humboldt Squid's job to enforce Thunderdome-specific rules, and calling him to do so puts a burden on someone who has more important forum duties. It is a dick move.

If anyone new to the game has questions about the thread runs, go on and ask--or just read Sitting Here's last post and take it to heart.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
Oh my god you whiny little babies this is what brawls are for.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Jonked posted:

Oh my god you whiny little babies this is what brawls are for.

I think Benny's well aware of what brawls are for

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
bye

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

Ironic Twist posted:

I think Benny's well aware of what brawls are for
imma brawl you backtalker

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Jonked posted:

imma brawl you backtalker

Only if Benny someone whose name starts with the letter B judges

Ironic Twist fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jun 3, 2015

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

new rule i just made up: if 10 people emptyquote this, benny the snake, the legendary rulebreaker, is banned from entering the thunderdome ever again

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Djeser posted:

How appropriate, I hate you.

The plural you, that is. I'm not playing favorites.

Echo Cian
Jun 16, 2011

Benny the Snake posted:

Don't for a minute think that you, or anybody else, can break the rules.

But, of course, this doesn't apply to you. :ironicat:

Thunderdome is, and always has been, up to judge whim with general guidelines for people not yet comfortable enough to do their own thing. Which you would know if you actually paid attention to this community you're trying to champion, instead of trying to fall flailing back on rules because you're butthurt about a DM/DQ for a nonsense story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Cian
Jun 16, 2011

• Locked thread