Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Konnie

"Are you serious? I'm still not fine with you playing drums in the band, Jules." Konnie very subtly reminds him. "Mind-power your way into anything and I'll water-power your balls into ice cubes."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Meg

"More like a hobby," Meg says. "The band is our job. Wait, no," she shakes her head emphatically. "The band is our calling. Does that make helping our hobby? Then what's our job?" she wonders. Meg looks back at Jules and huffs faintly. "Because what we really need is a drummer who'll freak out when poo poo gets weird and leave us standing on stage holding our dicks, Kon." Meg grabs for a drunk and guzzles down about half of it. "We could so give you a lift," Meg says. "Aren't we heading to Baltimore next? Anything to get you away from frat douches, I'd say."

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
"I think the last one." Sandy says to Konnie, "I mean, I'll figure out my powers as I go, but I'm not going to go to some lab or Crossfit nightmare to see what I can do. At least, not here. That's the bigger thing. And you guys kinda shook me out of what I was thinking. I was thinking too small. Or at least too local. At this point there's nothing keeping me here. I've got enough money to get out of here. I'm going to google for a blog post about 'best mountain towns for people in their 20s,' or something like that, and figure it out from there."

"So either way, if you're going to Baltimore..." The band's next show was the night after next, in Baltimore, "then I'll probably just catch a train North."

xian fucked around with this message at 04:48 on May 12, 2015

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Konnie

"Fucken' A, Starfish." Konnie nods approvingly. She couldn't argue with any of it, really. "Don't let this shithole town keep you down. Live your life." She encourages, rummaging about her person. "Think we're going that way yeah. I don't know. Ask her." Konnie jerks her head Sherry way. "She organises all this crap." Finally Kon gets the card out. "Ahh, here we go." She hands it off to the starfish. "This is a card for the Sheriffs, that's us and people way smarter and better with powers and poo poo than us, out in New York. So if you need help or everything goes to poo poo or a ghost tries to eat you, call it." She advises.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
"Cool, there's not like... A mountain town full of people like us, is there?" She asks, spinning the card between her finger and thumb. "Guess that's what this is for."

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Konnie

"We have a clubhouse in Brooklyn." Konnie shrugs. "I don't even know if there are enough of us around to have a town full of us." She admits. "I could ask?"

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
"Eh... I think I'm OK." Sandy says, "Stick to my original plan...that I just formed. Don't need to walk into some super powered commune this second."

"One more thing? Give me a ride to my apartment and then to the Train Station? I don't want to lose this energy and back down."

So they do. She's in her apartment for all of fifteen minutes and comes out wearing jeans and a windbreaker, a sagging backpack on her back, carrying a duffel bag that's bulging in odd places. "Just needed to get the essentials." One assumes that somewhere in those bags are stacks of cash, but she never opens them to show the group. "Where would anyone be without their iTunes?" She asks with a mixture of determination and nervousness that comes with big change.

They leave her alone at the station, and she waves them off with a smile. She yells a thank you as they pull away.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

BALTIMORE went very well. They band got there a half a day after saying goodbye to Sandy, so they had the rest of that day and night to get a bit of a breather. Even though they didn't headline at The Horse You Rode In On the following night, some members of the band could think this was their best show on the nascent tour. Enough of the block party feel-good and the college dance rock. The Horse is a metal bar through and through, famous for sticking to its roots while Baltimore changed around it. And being here allowed Gypsy Widow to play to their own roots. They were the Penultimate act, but watching Beyond Mantra close out the show, it was hard for members of Gypsy Widow to think that they didn't get the bigger pop from the crowd when they left the stage than when Beyond Mantra came back out for the encore.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

They were back on the road after the show. They didn't get any sparks of the supernatural from the crowd and one had to assume they weren't going to encounter a powered person at every single show. Between the last few shows, Gypsy Widow has gotten almost 1000 new followers on various Social Media platforms, though some of those are likely the same person following on multiple sites. Either way, Sherry is very pleased by the growth. DC was the next night.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

...And DC couldn't have been more different than Baltimore. The Rock and Roll Motel. Because god help you if you've gotta stay there for long. The manager of the venue acting like he was doing the band a favor and trying to micromanage Sherry. The stage, uneven and tiny. Lighting virtually non-existent. Bartenders more interested in flirting than serving drinks. Merch table set up next to the coat check, so people wanting their coats would crowd out people wanting to buy stuff. The sound system tinny and unbalanced. Even before the late-afternoon sound check was done, the band knew that this was looking like a forgettable show, the kind you have on tour, the kind you just have to get through.

Show-time was as bad as expected, if not worse, since the door security was drinking on the job, and painfully slow about letting people in. Gypsy Widow went on with the place about half full. An enervated crowd. The band are pros, though, and the show must go on. So it does. Even as the entire band notices, halfway through their set list, some seriously bad vibes floating around the bar. Supernaturally malevolent vibes.

xian fucked around with this message at 02:07 on May 13, 2015

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Meg

"Send us maple syrup!" Meg calls, when the Starfish takes her leave. "I liked her," she says to the group as they pull away.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Baltimore kicked rear end. They went around a couple club and the crowds were super into it. All sorts of people, jamming and rocking and drinking and having a great time. That's the way it should be. That's why Meg got into this to begin with! That and the chance to do a speed metal version of Good Morning Baltimore. Meg gets in plenty of partying afterwards, and some lucky fans wind up getting to do body shots off the speedster. It's that kind of town.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

"This place suuuuuuucks," Meg groans from the wings. "I'm gonna kill myself on that stage," she says. Her shoes and tendency to jump around like a maniac won't help either. "Shouldda let me get that guitar that shoots fire."

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Konnie

"I'm all for enabling bad life decisions." Konnie smirks, bonking Sandy in the elbow. "Sure we can, pile in."

Not that Konnie did any of the driving, but the Frogger was more her van than anybody else here. She keeps up the banter with Sandy the Starfish, until they get to her apartment and she climbs back into the Frogger. "Oh!" Konnie perks up a little. "Gypsy Widow. We're on iTunes." She looks over to Sherry. "Right? That's a thing we're on?" After a quick confirmation, she turns back to Starfish. "We're on there. Check us out, seriously. Kinda like keeping in touch, right?"

Konnie nods. "Yeah, she wasn't do bad."

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Konnie didn't know where Sherry got these gigs from, but she was loving great at it. The Horse You Rode In On was a stupid name for a fantastic bar. This place was was almost as good as the local haunts Gypsy Widow have back in New York, except back there they had a whole set to do and weren't just covering for some other crappy band. Not to call Beyond Mantra poo poo or anything, but they weren't Gypsy Widow. But in this, their proper environment, Gypsy Widow were off the loving chain. They rocked the loving house down with their own drat songs and the crowd ate every little bit up. Konnie was pretty sure halfway through she was losing her voice, but that didn't stop her. The energy was just too frantic to be sensible about things like that. Besides, it wasn't anything that tequila wouldn't fix after the show.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Konnie didn't know what social media stuff was, but Sherry said it was good so Kon believed her. This tour was going pretty great! They helped out at least three people with powers, and had at least two good shows! And apparently had a thousand people following their social media! And Konnie was really hungover again!

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Konnie didn't know where Sherry got these gigs from, but she was loving terrible at it. 'The Rock and Roll Motel'? Seriously? The place sounded like a shithole, and not in a good way, and it totally was a shithole!! The manager was a piece of poo poo! The stage was poo poo! The lights and audio were loving poo poo! The bar bitches were all absolute pieces of poo poo and didn't know how to pour! The lovely bouncers let in a totally lovely crowd! The only thing that kept Konnie from punching people out was being reminded by Sherry, and Eliza, and Meg, and Jules that the band did actually need to get paid here.

But after they get their money? Konnie was going to crack skulls.

As Eliza was doing one of her time filling keyboard whatever-the-gently caress-it-was-she-dids, Konnie moved herself towards the rear of the stage. "Oh you are so not killing yourself! No way am I letting you just leave me here with all these fuckers." Kon hisses into the wings at Meg. Konnie didn't have the luxury Meg had of just pissing off stage, she was the front-woman after all. She had to captain this ship even after it hit the iceberg that was this lame loving bar.

And maybe, just maybe, it wasn't solely the gig that was pissing off Konnie. "Hey." Kon, moving herself towards the drums, hisses at Jules. "Jules." She hisses again, her eyes scanning everything in front of the stage. Her frogeyes. "This crowd feeling bad to you?" She asks Jules, wanting a second opinion. "Something's feeling real bad to me."

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Konnie can't see much specifically because of the sea of fish in front of her, but she knows that there's something lurking. Some predator just beneath the depths. It's not the everyman. One, they haven't used their powers anywhere near explicitly enough to draw attention, and two, it feels different than how Liana described it. Not some force of nature, of the world. More like a barnacle stuck to the bottom of a ship. An insidious barnacle.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Konnie

"…real barnacle bad!" Kon hisses at Jules yet again, all while appearing inconspicuous to the crowd. What an actor!

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Jules

Jules looks up for a moment. "What, you mean more bad than feeling like we're playing to a pack of zombies?" Jules murmurs in reply to Konnie. Baltimore was awesome - but this place kinda sucks. Any more smart-rear end quips are left quiet as Konnie continues to speak to him and Jules frowns thoughfully. He blinks for a moment and then glances into the crowd, as quiet and bored as it is, letting his telepathic senses take over.

Something bad? Barnacles? What should he be looking for? He should ask for some sort of Konnie dictionary. Barnacle. That's one of those things that just sticks to things, right? And they damage them? Jules isn't sure.

Still, if the crowd is so lackluster, anything too abnormal and 'barnacle bad' should stick out like a sore thumb, right?

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Meg

"First starfish, then barnacles. You've got a brain thing, Kon," Meg says, narrowing her eyes, considering hard. They can almost smell the smoke. "Maybe you're right. This place is off. Not just musically. It's like it's...vibrating wrong," Meg says. "What you got, Julesy?" she asks, edging on on her boyfriend and pressing to him. Because that'll help him focus. Right?

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Konnie

"I didn't pick to see everything as fish!" Kon argues back in a hushed tone, not wanting to give away that they knew that somebody was maybe up to something in the crowd!

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Sherry

Touring as a small-time band is like climbing a ladder to the roof of a house... only you have to build the ladder first, and each rung is a venue. And sometimes you scavenge some really solid wood, like Baltimore, and sometimes you get some rotten poo poo, like this analogy.

DC isn't much better.

Sherry's mantra for this leg of the tour is 'it was the best I could find', and she's repeated it often enough to achieve Nirvana... if the urge to kill that micromanaging prick wasn't keeping her chained to the physical world. He was middle management in a previous life, and probably earlier in this one before... buying this dive in a mid-life fit, or something. 'Dear'. 'Honey'. She's heard it all before, from deeply gross, corrupt people, but coming from this twerp it makes her fantasize that they'd set aside the money for that fire-breathing guitar for Meg. Strike a blow for drinking and music! ...Get sent up the river for a while, but well.

The rare people who come over to the merch display are more interested in chatting her up than buying... which, to be mercenary about it, is part of the reason why Sherry does double-duty back there. Few of them are enthusiastic enough to buy anything more than a beer cozy.

Place is as lively as a carbon monoxide leak, she thinks to herself. As that oppressive vibe begins to spread through the bar, Sherry realizes reality might be even more dangerous. She doesn't have Konnie's eyes, but she's a decent judge of body language and has... not the absolute worst view of the venue. With few customers, she has the opportunity to watch the crowd for possible sources of badness.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Jules notices a...well, it's unlike anything he's seen before, even his brush with the Everyman. It's like there is some sort of mesh network, of minds, in the room with them. Six different nodes, all connected. Three in a group towards the back of the room, another three scattered throughout the crowd. He's not sure how they are connected. He wonders if they are a hive mind. He can't get a read on them beyond that. They're dressed like how he imagines low level political workers to be dressed. Khakis, polo's, button ups, loafers or boat shoes.

There isn't a central point in the network. Nothing that signifies command or that one of them is in charge. When he tries to scan each of them further, he's rebuffed. Not mildly, either. From one, he gets a wall of noise. Another, scrawling mathematical formula that feels like a cluster headache when he tries to dig through it. Obtuse congressional language on another--the finer points of subsection IV of article D of paragraph who-knows-what. It's dense information streaming through their heads continuously, that serve to enshroud anything beyond that.

Except for one thing: when he scans each of them--as in, the moment he tries to probe deeper than purely surface thoughts-- there's a strong emotional urge to
JOIN US! It's forceful, but welcoming. Authoritative, but soothing. It'll make his headache go away for sure. It feels good, and dangerously tempting. And actually, the tactile sensation of Meg rubbing up on his body helps to shake off their beckoning call.

Sherry notices the trio to the back. They look...skittish isn't the right word. They look wholly out of their element. The way she would imagine an alien would, if you put it down in the middle of Times Square. It's like they're trying to take in everything, observe everything, the crowd, the venue, the music, and parse it into something that makes sense to them.

Watching them for a couple minutes, she notices something else. Well, two things. The first is that she hasn't seen them say a single word to each other. The second is harder to put her finger on, or point to one moment exactly, but it feels to her like they're moving with one mind. All their shifts and adjustments compliment each other a little too perfectly. Like their movements are as choreographed as a ballroom dance.

xian fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 31, 2015

Drakli
Jan 28, 2004
Goblin-Friend
Eliza 3/3

Eliza blinks a couple of times and looks up, "Barnacle Bill? The Sailor?" She glances around, having lost herself in the moment and only just now realizing no one in the crowd is doing so. Well, they've lost themselves, just not in the moment.

"Oh, barnacle bad!"

She scans the crowd with her eyes, and then... shudders. She doesn't have fur, but it's still not hard to imagine a jitter of shivers working their way up from her heels to the top of her head, like a wave of bristling fur. Her hair actually does seem to frizz out slightly from the tips to the crown in just such a wave, "I really hope that's not Legion. If it's Legion, we gotta get outta here."

There's a sort of a weird tension/fizzling building up around Eliza, though it's hard to see with all shadows and spotlights contrasting, as if her probability bending ability is subtly arming. She looks... kind of frightened, which isn't something Eliza generally does.

====

Eliza's going to cleverly +3 try and assess the situation, using the aspect of Imp if she needs to draw on any occult background.

Drakli fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jun 3, 2015

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Sherry

It's... not the most exciting gig from Sherry's end, no offense to the band. The venue's twitching at best, which means she can't really go into her harangue without cutting into the music... and she was given explicit instructions from the site's manager not to do that kind of thing anyway. He probably thinks she's competition for people's food funds. Jerk.

With little else to do and that uneasy feeling of malevolence drifting around the place like a bad smell, Sherry lets her attention 'boredly' wander about the venue. Her first thought, upon spotting the trio near the back is, are those Feds? She dismisses it immediately: the Feds she's met were all very familiar with social environments.

Are they Mormons? Glance away, don't stare too long. Stare into the abyss and it stares back and things get awkward. Not Mormons, not even the ones she heard about on TV once, kicked out of fundamentalist compounds and stuck negotiating the fallen world. There's uncertainty, but no... anxiety.

There's something almost infantile about them. Not in the smiling Buddha baby sense, but the wide-eyed way babies seem to absorb everything they can possibly encompass with their senses. At least these ones aren't putting anything but food in their mouths. They never talk with one another. They never look at one another, and when one moves the others shift to cover the new blind spot. It's like dancing, the slow, intricate kind. That, or the workings of one of those fancy mantle clocks.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Jules

Huh.

Huh.

It's an unusual feeling, to say the least. Generally, individual minds are separate things in mental 'space', like a school of fish. If you're just glancing, it can be hard to pick an individual out - but when you take the time to look, you can get flashes of individuals there, begin leafing through them at a more detailed level. He draws line of sight on the three at the back of the room - and they're all dressed the same, how strange - and lets his eyes focus past them.

It's not the best decision he's made. A whirlwind screams to life behind his eyes. The wall of noise actually causes Jules to slam his head backwards, barely missing giving Meg a concussion. The mathematical formula is just as incomprehensible - he's never been a numbers man - and attempting to follow it makes Jules feel like he's going to bleed out of his eyes. The third and final defensive barrier, the never-ending litany of legal minutiae of something that no one can possibly care about is perhaps the least harsh, but it's like getting sucked into a whirlwind and the simple fact is that it's too many concepts to follow.

Disorientated as he is from the noise and the numbers and the political litany, the siren's call of JOIN US feels like the most potent thing he's ever touched with his mind, hell, ever drank or eaten or otherwise touched. In that moment, there's only the overriding feeling - not a belief, that's too conscious - that that mental network is, well, everything. But still, brief touch of six interconnected minds is something strange and new and different and-

-and it's the feel of Meg pressing against his back that centers him and makes him realise just how worrying that encounter was.

One hand finds Meg's own, squeezes hard, and his other reaches up to press at the bridge of his nose. "Ah, gently caress," Jules murmurs. "Something's up. Something's bad. Those three at the back? There's three more in the crowd, and they're working some sort of psychic hive mind network thing between them all. It's like- it's like I don't know how to put it... They're locked up tighter than Fort Knox but there's something really reassuring about them." God, that sounds so stupid. But the feeling lingers there, like some sort of psychic shadow, clinging to his hindbrain. Join us, join us, join us... Sure, they might not be calling to him now, but the memory of it is almost as powerful.

He's still clustered right in with Meg when he asks Konnie, "Are those three your barnacles? Do you see them, Sherry? At the back, public servant looking guys."

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Konnie

Having a sister work at a big hospital meant you hear a whole lot of stories. Through osmosis alone Konnie had a fair idea of what a crazy bad seizure looked like. And Jules throwing his head backwards and jerking about like somebody tazed him and kinda going crazy? Sounded a lot like the worst kinds of crap Maj had to see in hospital. Except that Jules was also looking for those barnacle things and that meant he was braining out over the crowd that was melting his frontal lobe.

So that wasn't good.

Thankfully Meg was there, so Konnie didn't have to openly show any concern for Jules. Because the universe itself might end if she had to do that. If something was strong enough, and bad enough, to get to Jules like this it was serious bad news. "The three dudes at the back?" Konnie takes another, closer look through her FrogEyes. Sometimes the vague water poo poo was annoying, but here? Considering how bad it got Jules maybe her eyes were like that on purpose. Keep the frog alert, keep the frog aware of predators around her, but don't draw so much attention that you get eaten. "Yeah. I think they're it." She nods, taking Meg by the arm. "Clear the stage, we're out of here."

Then it was time to be a rock star. "All right! That's it!" Konnie declares, barging back to the front of the stage and ruining the middle of Eliza's jam. "Show's over! There won't be any encores! We have better things to do than waste our time on you!" She snarls. "Just go home to your mommies before you break curfew!" In true prima-donna lead singer style, Konnie disrespects the crowd and leaves then with a middle finger as she escorts Eliza backstage.

"Some serious bad stuff." Kon whispers to Eliza to fill her in. "Some psychic brain thing, really getting to Jules. We should book it."

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Meg

Just like that time they got run out of Hackensack. Meg nods emphatically at Konnie. "Dig, yah, yah," she says. "Julesy," Meg whispers, once Konnie's heading back towards the front. "Be careful, okay?" she says. With that, Meg slings her guitar on her back and promptly grabs a couple amps, sauntering off-stage and then power-speeding to the Frogger.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Sherry

The Mormon wallflowers, moving like assembly line robots? Hard not to notice them, Sherry thinks, studiously fiddling with a frustratingly full box of merch. You think they're--

Konnie's announcement drops like someone cannonballing into a pool, though it probably splashes Sherry more than it does the anemic audience. drat it, tearing down the kiosk takes time! It does in a larger, more vibrant venue, at least. There's an art to setting up shop (probably a science, but art sounds better in Sherry's head), figuring out how much and what is going to sell based on the audience. There's no point in unloading half the Frogger at a place like this, and either too much or too little on the table can look unprofessional.

But no, really, Sherry's got the ball caps stowed before Konnie stalks off the stage. The rest of the stuff follows almost as quickly.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Jules

"Be careful? I'm bailing out with the rest of you, just give me a second to have a drink of water."

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Konnie

"I'll make you water on the Frogger." Konnie insists, throwing her bass on her back and grabbing whatever she could get her hands on. "We've already been hosed over by power assholes at a gig once, not letting that poo poo happen again."

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Meg

Meg prances back on stage with a bottle of water for Jules. "We fight or we fly, Kon, what do you think?" Meg asks. There's an edge in her voice. Been a while since Meg got in a fight.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Konnie

"We don't even know what we fighting here, Meg. Running is smart."

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
The band gets the gear loaded into the Frogger quickly, with the only trouble appearing in the form of the manager. It takes the band two trips to get all the gear out to the truck, and the manager, a balding middle aged guy in jeans, a denim shirt, a leather vest follows them out from backstage after their second trip, "What do you think you're doing?!? You... you freakin kids can't just ditch out in the middle of a show like that! I'll pay you little punks when I see you in hell!"

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Konnie

"Bite me!" Kon snaps, dumping the last amp in the back of the Frogger.

Drakli
Jan 28, 2004
Goblin-Friend
Eliza

"By the Malice Mizer; I hope they're just a psychic brain thing." Eliza replies, hustling alongside Konnie. She needs no reminder to hurry, "They remind me a lot of someones from the old country. The really old country. Also, underground and on fire."

She skids past the balding patron and vaults into the Frogger, shooting an aside to him cryptically, "Don't count on it!"

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Meg

"Could pay us now," Meg says with a grin. "I'd prefer to go to hell face-smashed drunk."

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
"Don't think I could. The hell was that, anyway? Just bolt out of any show that isn't going your way?"

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Konnie

"Oh no." Konnie grits her teeth, throwing her stuff down and turning around to face the manager. "You don't get to fill your armpit of a room with those stunned mullets and then bitch us out when it looks like those fuckin' freaks are going to charge the stage." She growls at the man. "Put a guy with two fuckin' eyes on the door first next time."

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
"You wish they were going to charge the stage. loving mausoleum in there, thanks to you."

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Konnie

Konnie wasn't in any mood before this tub of lard trundled out and started acting like a piece of poo poo. Now she was a few seconds away from smashing his skull in. Thankfully, discretion prevailed. "Jules!" She grabs Meg's boytoy as he was shoving the last box of hats into the Frogger. "You deal with this fuckass before I smash his fuckass face in, yeah?" She instructs, not even giving said fuckass another look as she heads for the front seat

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Sherry

"More zombie-like shuffle. Should maybe get that place checked for gas leaks," Sherry notes, hurrying past, eyes barely clearing the stack of boxes in her arms.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
The manager's indignant rage fades pretty quickly after Sherry rushes past, cables and merch and anything left behind sloshing around in the boxes she's carrying. "Just get the hell outta here already." He says, then turns back towards the bar.

The question is: where to? Everyone in the Frogger knew there was something weird going on back there. Something bad weird. Barnacles and networked humans and things that gave Jules a cluster headache.

Could they really just ignore whatever *it* is and head to the next show?

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Konnie

"So we wait until everybody starts to leave, catch those fuckers on their own, and Meg you kneecap 'em with a tyre iron." Kon strategises. "Then we can figure this poo poo out on our terms."

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Meg

Meg pumps her fist in the air. "Way ahead of you!" she declares, holding the frogger's tire iron. "But what if they try to leave before the crowd lets out," Meg asks, emphasizing the word 'crowd' with as much packed-in contempt as she can manage.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Konnie

"Umm. poo poo, I don't know. Distract them?" She casts an eye Eliza-ward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakli
Jan 28, 2004
Goblin-Friend
Eliza

Eliza cringes behind a speaker as Konnie draws attention to her, clutching the edge with her fingers and whimpering slightly.

She does give the idea some consideration, however, "I expect I could drop a spark of disarray into the neural web. Complex systems tend to do poorly when you introduce entropy or chaos into their order. Turn off a synapse, fry a node, DOS a server. If the collective relies on their network of brains to communicate and coordinate, they might well start to glitch and lag if a handful of their minds can't stop thinking about Pink Elephants."

• Locked thread