Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

TheresaJayne posted:

I think it was me, I play on a server and was told that all meteors had been cleared and raided, followed my rules with the compass, first small meteor gave me calculation press
second about 100m away gave me logic, silicon, engineering press and about 200 skystone
Meteors not having all of the presses is one the worst things in modded minecraft that I've encountered since I started playing modded mc in 1.4.x. I like the terrain generation aspect of meteors, I don't mind the material being used for things (it's pretty much not though), but having a loot chest in the middle with necessary things is dreadful.

And I play hard mode gregtech packs sometimes.

I don't understand why it's a thing, and if it is on my own server it is the only time I've ever cheated something in. Well, in baby's first space race I cheated in a rubber sapling because I explored 1000m in a few directions and there were only oak trees so I cheated one in. But, besides that.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jun 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
Here's the AE2 Meteors suck Minetweaker Script

http://pastebin.com/DZHJY0KL

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Ghostlight posted:

I've never had a problem with Charged Quartz, but in my OMPi solo map I've gone through 3 loving meteors and am still missing a Logic inscription. Like, make the recipe expensive if necessary for "balance", but man it's a pain in the rear end having it entirely depend on random chance that sees me spending multiple in-game days travelling and excavating across the map for a simple roll of the dice as to whether I get to do build a thing. To add insult to injury, failure means you get to spend ages digging out the entire useless meteor.
See that's just the thing about really rare random things. Every time you get them early or while doing other things, it doesn't bug you. But the one time you just randomly don't find any charged certus you'll be searching in vain for loving hours.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

That was just my personal experience, not meant as a dismissal. I do agree that there's no particular reason to gate charging quartz behind having charged quartz any more than there is to gate inscriptions behind farming meteor chests.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

That was just my personal experience, not meant as a dismissal. I do agree that there's no particular reason to gate charging quartz behind having charged quartz any more than there is to gate inscriptions behind farming meteor chests.

But... all you need is 1 charged quartz to make a charger then you are set for life

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The problem is finding that one piece of charged quartz. On the server I'm on, getting any AE going took two days because we were trying to find some charged quartz.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Continuing TC chat:

quote:

So I made some decisions regarding the smeltery. I will not be adding the flux that is created to the internal store itself - it will just be vented into the aura directly. I tried it the other way and it was just too much of a pita. There was also too many ways getting around it making flux management trivial. This way it WILL go into the aura and you will have to deal with it with any means at your disposal.

Alembics will remain stackable and their internal buffer will remain 32 (for now). I might change that number before release though depending on how testing works out.

Alembics and smelteries got a bit of a new look as well, though I am still working on it.

Basically nothing's changed about the furnaces then, except maybe some ways to add upgrade attachments. Still, I like the new look.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
I've been playing modpacks for a long time now, and somehow I'm continually blown away by how far up their own rear end some mods tend to get over time seemingly for no other reason than their creators seem to think that more steps and unnecessary fiddling and loving around makes the mods more "realistic" or "interesting".

Such has been my experience with Applied Energistics 2. I know I'm late, but I've avoided 1.7 modpacks for the reasons above and seeing what they've done to one of the most useful mods is really depressing.

Is there any similar alternative?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Mr Scumbag posted:

I've been playing modpacks for a long time now, and somehow I'm continually blown away by how far up their own rear end some mods tend to get over time seemingly for no other reason than their creators seem to think that more steps and unnecessary fiddling and loving around makes the mods more "realistic" or "interesting".

Such has been my experience with Applied Energistics 2. I know I'm late, but I've avoided 1.7 modpacks for the reasons above and seeing what they've done to one of the most useful mods is really depressing.

Is there any similar alternative?

AE2 has configs for most of its problems. You can turn channels off if you want a more AE1-like network. That plus eliminating meteor searching with minetweaker, and it's just fine. I will point out that the mod author made channels mandatory when he first released AE2, and only put in the option to disable them much later "so that channels had a chance to catch on." More bullshit "my vision" modding.

Goncyn
May 20, 2005
headlight on a northbound train

Cantorsdust posted:

AE2 has configs for most of its problems. You can turn channels off if you want a more AE1-like network. That plus eliminating meteor searching with minetweaker, and it's just fine.

I have to disagree with this. It's not the channels that really put me off, it's the incredibly complex crafting tree. Look at any item that actually does something -- take the ME Storage Bus, example. ME Storage Bus < ME Interface < Formation Core + Annihilation Core < Fluix Dust (grown then ground) + Logic Processor < Printed Logic Circuit + Printed Silicon (both inscribed). That's more than five combination steps using four different crafting methods. I realize that it's meant to all be automated eventually, but you still have to do it manually for a while until you have a system built, and that means I have to constantly refer to NEI or the wiki to remember what I'm doing. Contrast that with a mod like Ender IO in which machines are mostly two steps: you craft a machine frame, then you craft the machine, both in the crafting table.

AE2's complexity makes my eyes glaze over. I'm tempted to remove all the stock recipes and go through and write my own, simpler recipes for every item in the mod, but then I think, that's silly, why go to so much effort for something you don't like because it's too much effort.

I noticed the upcoming version of Ender IO is adding an Inventory Panel that's very similar to the ME Crafting Panel. I poked at it in creative a bit, and it works, but it seems pretty clunky (I couldn't find any way to pick up a single item out of the attached inventories, for example). There's also Automagy, if you want to go thematic and wildly complex in a different way. :shrug:

At least a few modders are experimenting with alternatives.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Botania also has an inventory system, post-elf gate, the Chordata system. You use chat to ask for items from the chests.

I think I'd be more willing to try to understand AE if I understood what it does beyond being an infintie capacity chest better. Then again I haven't played too much with the "build giant machines to get 10000 apples!" side of minecraft either.

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jun 3, 2015

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Acne Rain posted:

Botania also has an inventory system, post-elf gate, the Chordata system. You use chat to ask for items from the chests.

I think I'd be more willing to try to understand AE if I understood what it does beyond being an infintie capacity chest better. Then again I haven't played too much with the "build giant machines to get 10000 apples!" side of minecraft either.

i've mostly been pretty impressed with botania so far. been having trouble with the boss so i don't have any gaia spirits yet, but everything else has been relatively easy to use and the mana collection system plays nicely with being on a server with others due to it collecting when i'm away. also made a system to crank out dungeon loot mostly by using cake, which i'm sure sounds simple as gently caress compared to what other mods do, but it's been fun. haven't messed with the corporea system yet, but it'll be nice to have a remote way to access my junk.

the auschwitz diet
Mar 19, 2004
I toast mine own alcoholism

Acne Rain posted:

The Corporea system, rather. Botania is wonderfully versatile but after only one play through in Regrowth I'm sick to death of manually making runes. Does anyone have any good suggestions for semi-automation of the runic altar?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I like Botania too but early game mana generation is so godawful slow, even arrays of hydroangeas just don't do the job fast enough for me. (I'm told the cake flowers are great, but those are post alfheim :()

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

the auschwitz diet posted:

The Corporea system, rather. Botania is wonderfully versatile but after only one play through in Regrowth I'm sick to death of manually making runes. Does anyone have any good suggestions for semi-automation of the runic altar?

I just finished up a minetweaker script to craft runes in a crafting table. I hate making runes too. This uses the same ingredients but it takes a mana diamond, sucks the mana out and gives it back to you.

http://pastebin.com/bKdjBEDq

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

bigperm posted:

I just finished up a minetweaker script to craft runes in a crafting table. I hate making runes too. This uses the same ingredients but it takes a mana diamond, sucks the mana out and gives it back to you.

http://pastebin.com/bKdjBEDq

StealthArcher please do the needful

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
It's pretty easy to automate runes with the open bottom barrel and an ME interface.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Am I missing something about the open barrel? It's just a dropper that doesn't need a signal, right?

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Vib Rib posted:

Am I missing something about the open barrel? It's just a dropper that doesn't need a signal, right?

Pretty much, yeah.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

Gilok posted:

StealthArcher please do the needful
Woah...put a trigger warning on that.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Shukaro posted:

Pretty much, yeah.

Doesn't it also drop it straight down instead of at a weird angle? I thought that was the benefit.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Falcon2001 posted:

Doesn't it also drop it straight down instead of at a weird angle? I thought that was the benefit.

That too, as well.

wylker
Jul 7, 2009

This is not how I envisioned this working out.
Also I just learned that Botania hacks vanilla dispensers to do right clicks for you if you put a botania wand in them. TMYK

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Also, Runic Altars give out redstone signals based on status. IIRC, it's 1 when working, and 2 when it's ready to be whacked with the wand. It's pretty easy to automate, even with just Botania and vanilla.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Been trying to play OMP-i but it is unplayably unstable, poo poo is constantly popping into and out of existence, it chugs even with chuck render turned low, fast graphics and no smooth lighting, is anyone else having this problem?

And yes, I have allocated enough RAM.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Yep -

StealthArcher posted:

Update to 2.2.2_1FC, this is an issue with the old version of COFHTweaks we use, it's not useful for everyone. The FC variant adds fastcraft back in until i can get the newer version to work with our stuff.
Or roll back to 2.2.1, which is what I did.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Goncyn posted:

I have to disagree with this. It's not the channels that really put me off, it's the incredibly complex crafting tree. Look at any item that actually does something -- take the ME Storage Bus, example. ME Storage Bus < ME Interface < Formation Core + Annihilation Core < Fluix Dust (grown then ground) + Logic Processor < Printed Logic Circuit + Printed Silicon (both inscribed). That's more than five combination steps using four different crafting methods. I realize that it's meant to all be automated eventually, but you still have to do it manually for a while until you have a system built, and that means I have to constantly refer to NEI or the wiki to remember what I'm doing. Contrast that with a mod like Ender IO in which machines are mostly two steps: you craft a machine frame, then you craft the machine, both in the crafting table.

AE2's complexity makes my eyes glaze over. I'm tempted to remove all the stock recipes and go through and write my own, simpler recipes for every item in the mod, but then I think, that's silly, why go to so much effort for something you don't like because it's too much effort.

I noticed the upcoming version of Ender IO is adding an Inventory Panel that's very similar to the ME Crafting Panel. I poked at it in creative a bit, and it works, but it seems pretty clunky (I couldn't find any way to pick up a single item out of the attached inventories, for example). There's also Automagy, if you want to go thematic and wildly complex in a different way. :shrug:

At least a few modders are experimenting with alternatives.

The fluix doesnt have to be grown, the grown one is the PURE fluix, - you do have to make it but its quicker.
i have an automated inscriber using hoppers and item conduit. but most packs I have played recently has Steve's Machine Manager which allows you to fully automate creation of stuff meaning you can set up auto crafting.

@acnerain:
It starts off as an easy storage and becomes an amazing processing system, imagine you start with a room that is Jet black, with a green terminal on the far wall.
you open the terminal and desire a Couple of tessaracts, you click on them in the gui, and it asks how many do you want. you select 2 and press go. In the distance you hear lots of machine noises and suddenly you have your 2 Tessaracts ready for use.

That is the point of it, making the task of making items a non task allowing you to concentrate on harnessing the power of the elements, whilst trying to avoid the Eldritch Guardians and bouts of Thaumoriah...

On another note if a mod could look up on NEI/Recipes and assign a value to each block, so a recipe for something needs x points, I think EE had the right idea just not set properly.
Make manually an item,
put it in a scanner,
That is now known,
Put stuff into the main system it gets turned into energy.
you want an item no making sub items just if it has been scanned its now available
example - i make a ludicrite block, scan it now i put 2 million cobble into the system and can pull out ludicrite blocks if i have enough points. Damaged armor etc goes in - and gets turned into energy.
lost your imbued sword not a problem just pull another out based on the template you scanned
That is how to do Matter energy transfer :)

TheresaJayne fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jun 4, 2015

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Ciaphas posted:

I like Botania too but early game mana generation is so godawful slow, even arrays of hydroangeas just don't do the job fast enough for me. (I'm told the cake flowers are great, but those are post alfheim :()

the cake flower is definitely pretty good, but the limiting factor is of course needing lots of cake over time if you want to keep using it. i think you can see a mana pool's bar actually tick up after maybe ~2 cakes so if you have a way to automate making those it turns into a good source.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Honestly my fix for AE2 is to cheat in the presses and then make it so you can grind down pure crystals into dust, giving you the ability to generate infinite crystals with a pulverizer and crystal growth chamber and sand. Is it fair? gently caress if I care, but it requires at least some assembly beyond just 'click, recieve processor'.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

TheresaJayne posted:

On another note if a mod could look up on NEI/Recipes and assign a value to each block, so a recipe for something needs x points, I think EE had the right idea just not set properly.
Make manually an item,
put it in a scanner,
That is now known,
Put stuff into the main system it gets turned into energy.
you want an item no making sub items just if it has been scanned its now available
example - i make a ludicrite block, scan it now i put 2 million cobble into the system and can pull out ludicrite blocks if i have enough points. Damaged armor etc goes in - and gets turned into energy.
lost your imbued sword not a problem just pull another out based on the template you scanned
That is how to do Matter energy transfer :)
ProjectE, formerly Equivalent Exchange, is this exactly. Every item has a value -- cobblestone and dirt are 1. Iron is like 256. Diamonds are 8,192. After you've obtained an item and used the tablet to "learn" it, you can burn up any item into its raw cost and pull out whatever it was you needed. Dump in 128 full stacks of cobblestone and you could grab yourself a diamond, or vice versa. It's super convenient but basically overrides every other mod once you get it, which is why it's probably best having it as a true endgame thing.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

ProjectE, formerly Equivalent Exchange, is this exactly. Every item has a value -- cobblestone and dirt are 1. Iron is like 256. Diamonds are 8,192. After you've obtained an item and used the tablet to "learn" it, you can burn up any item into its raw cost and pull out whatever it was you needed. Dump in 128 full stacks of cobblestone and you could grab yourself a diamond, or vice versa. It's super convenient but basically overrides every other mod once you get it, which is why it's probably best having it as a true endgame thing.

I did mention EE in my post,

but i hate how you need one of x to get another one, sounds like projectE is going more as I would want it. (so like a star trek replicator as it can only make stuff you have scanned into the library

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Yeah, my point is more that modern EE is not the same as it used to be. ProjectE is a more faithful recreation, flaws and all.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

Yeah, my point is more that modern EE is not the same as it used to be. ProjectE is a more faithful recreation, flaws and all.

Speaking of EE, does EE3 actually do anything yet?

Goncyn
May 20, 2005

Vib Rib posted:

This sounds exactly like EE3 as explained in a recent direwolf20 mod spotlight. How is it different?

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Goncyn posted:

This sounds exactly like EE3 as explained in a recent direwolf20 mod spotlight. How is it different?

EE3 isn't finished, is it? And never will be?

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Dunno-Lars posted:

There is also the Aether mod but I don't know how well it's value s things these days and have never actually used it.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/mapping-and-modding/minecraft-mods/1293204-aethercraft-1-4-5-aetheral-alchemy-turn-matter

Goncyn
May 20, 2005

Dunno-Lars posted:

Looks like it's under active development to me? I was watching a recent Forgecraft2 episode, and the developer was on voice talking about his plans and how much work he's put into getting the basic features rock-solid.
https://github.com/pahimar/Equivalent-Exchange-3/commits/master

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

I've been playing with ProjectE for a little while now, and I really like it. Everything has a use, and materials I'm heavy on can be recycled into the ones I need right now. It does a pretty good job of mod support as well--all of TE's metals are supported, all of MFR is supported, Big Reactors, Extra Utilities, most mods, etc. AE2 is probably the least willing to play with ProjectE, however, due to the requirement for pressed parts and such. Fortunately, ProjectE let's you manually assign conversion values to items while in game with console commands. It took an afternoon with a calculator and number crunching to get everything set up, but now it all plays nicely. It is a very faithful recreation of EE2, and so far its machines don't seem to be very hard on the server.

I would caution you that it will change your playstyle significantly. You'll find yourself prioritizing different materials when mining. 1 emerald is worth 2 diamonds, 8 gold, or 64 iron. No need for a massive tree farm when a magical crops emerald farm will provide everything you need. Hell, enough emerald farms could buy you anything--monster parts, wood, food. Most machines can be bought outright as well. I really like it, but it may mess with your sense of progression.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
I like projecte but I can't help myself from looping something to get EMC and it ruins a world for me at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

What are my options for getting rid of liquids in OMP-i? I used to use void pipes on ender quarries with the pump attachment so I could get rid of all the unneeded water, but OMP-i doesn't have those. Any equivalent?