Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

kcroy posted:

hey awesome thanks. shades of the red wedding there huh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxU2eqZtYmc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Malpais Legate posted:

did you really need to see The War Z done with lovely HBO effects, though?

the Gurm might be slow as gently caress but at least i didn't have to deal with a lovely RPG battle scene between Jon Snow and the Night's King during the most generic zombie holocaust known to man

Much like Littlerfinger GRRM and HBO's primary strategy seems to be to starve you out on epic setpieces until you'll take any old damned thing.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Do people not understand the difference between necromancy and generic zombie virus?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Koirhor posted:

Do people not understand the difference between necromancy and generic zombie virus?

Why don't you break it down for everyone, Professor Poindexter.

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

I'll fight crime when I feel like it...

Arcsquad12 posted:

I liked when Jon Snow fought the Elf from Hellboy 2.

That's where it was from! Man I was trying to remember what that guy looked like during the battle and I couldn't for the life of me remember that movie...

Glad I'm not the only one who thought that. All they did was paint that guy blue.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

SaviourX posted:

*shuffle* pardon *shuffle* me

goddamn it, she actually steps back when she was in range to stab him.

nooneofconsequence posted:

I read The Silmarillion twice and don't remember anything like that?
Really? I thought Eru was a part of that. Or do you mean the gollum tripping poo poo... that I guess was in Tolkien's letters or some crap. I don't know, I read this thread: http://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/23106/when-did-eru-interfere-in-arda-directly

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I for one enjoy the large scale action scenes in the show and hardhome was easily the cream of the crop.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I'm with the guy who was disappointed in the enemy taking action in the third act of a story.

They should still be silently wanking in the distance as a potential threat until the very last second when it no longer matters.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

goddamn it, it's a Hart within a Heart. I don't know why, but that bugs the poo poo out of me.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

kcroy posted:

goddamn it, it's a Hart within a Heart. I don't know why, but that bugs the poo poo out of me.

And Hart to Heart they'll win.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

The Wights are straight up Ice Zombies, nothing more, nothing less. In the two decades since GRUM wrote the GOT prologue, all kinds of zombies have been done to death. Sure, Hardhome was derivative of World War Z, but it would have been derivative of something no matter what direction they took. There's only so much you can do with loving zombies.

I thought it was really well done for a TV show, but more than that we loving finally got to see something about what the Others are all about. Something that's been two decades coming. I mean, just that one bit of information about Valyrian swords managed to get proper discussion out of even the Bad Thread.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Exactly. GoT had reached Dexter / Walking Dead levels of laughable shittiness, and completely saved itself by telling the mountain that blogs to gently caress himself and beat him to the punch on finally showing something that advances the major plot while he's dicking around in Mereen and the Iron Islands.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
yeah I thought Hardhome was pretty fantastic as an action, even heck, horror sequence. And I thought it communicated scale better than even the Wall battle last season which felt like a dozen dudes fighting a dozen other dudes.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Exactly. GoT had reached Dexter / Walking Dead levels of laughable shittiness, and completely saved itself by telling the mountain that blogs to gently caress himself and beat him to the punch on finally showing something that advances the major plot while he's dicking around in Mereen and the Iron Islands.

And on top of that, Tyrion actually met Dany. In 8 episodes they pulled off a feat the Gurm couldn't across 2000 pages and 11 years.

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

Junkenstein posted:

The Wights are straight up Ice Zombies, nothing more, nothing less. In the two decades since GRUM wrote the GOT prologue, all kinds of zombies have been done to death. Sure, Hardhome was derivative of World War Z, but it would have been derivative of something no matter what direction they took. There's only so much you can do with loving zombies.

I thought it was really well done for a TV show, but more than that we loving finally got to see something about what the Others are all about. Something that's been two decades coming. I mean, just that one bit of information about Valyrian swords managed to get proper discussion out of even the Bad Thread.

At least they aren't as awful as the walking dead zombies. I love the episodes where there is literally no tension and even the characters stabbing the zombies look bored of doing it..

"Oh no a slow moving zombie without limbs... Sigh... These are getting kinda boring huh?"

Honestly I liked the zombies and find fast moving ones to be more of a threat but I guess you can't please everyone. How about medium speed zombies? Would that be better? How about we make them werewolves too or they can fly? Because you know if they made them shambling dead like TWD you'd start crying about how boring and cliche zombies are.

Just be happy you got, 20 years later, to finally see some ice zombies that were hinted at in the first damned chapter of the series. Maybe this is George's vision of them too. We'd know more if, I dunno, Blobula actually wrote more than a chapter a year.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

CaptainRightful posted:

And on top of that, Tyrion actually met Dany. In 8 episodes they pulled off a feat the Gurm couldn't across 2000 pages and 11 years.

lets be honest here, it's been 15 years

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Watch GRRM change the ice zombies in the books into something else just to be a big petulant turd.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
My only complaint is that the Others themselves looked less creepy and otherworldly than they did in previous appearances. They changed something about how they draw them for this episode.

Bemis
Jan 5, 2010
It was a step in the right direction but I feel not a lot has actually has happened this season (I know, I know, staying true to the source material). Take for example Jaime and Bronn: they've left and gotten captured and have a 30 second conversation with Myrcella. I'm going to keep watching but we're on the 8th episode and I can't see a reason why most people would want to continue on.

silently wanking in the distance as a potential threat
Gurm spotted.

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

Bemis posted:

It was a step in the right direction but I feel not a lot has actually has happened this season (I know, I know, staying true to the source material). Take for example Jaime and Bronn: they've left and gotten captured and have a 30 second conversation with Myrcella. I'm going to keep watching but we're on the 8th episode and I can't see a reason why most people would want to continue on.

Gurm spotted.

The whole point of the Jaime/Bronn stuff was to see that chick's tits. And it was worth it. Send Jaime back north who cares now we saw what we wanted to see here.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

My only complaint is that the Others themselves looked less creepy and otherworldly than they did in previous appearances. They changed something about how they draw them for this episode.

It's the first time they've appeared fully clad in armor, their previous appearances they were bare chested which I guess is a little more badass? I mean, if you are already imprevious to non-enchanted weapons and clearly don't care about the cold the armor seems somewhat surplus to requirements. And if they absolutely had to wear armor for some reason I would have preferred something a bit more ornate and less rubbery looking.

Just checked this and when the night's king previously made an appearance (when converting craster's baby) he was wearing black leather but it didn't look like proper armor.

Ultimately I much prefer Martin's description of the others but I guess it just wasn't 'horror' enough for the purpose of the show. Also a convincing ice armor effect might have been tougher to produce.

Allegedly Allergic
Nov 3, 2002

Crazy Bus Person #3
I'd like to think they're making the Others fairly simple costume-wise, because they're trying to save money for later seasons, but we all know they just spent their cash on tits.

Allegedly Allergic fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jun 3, 2015

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Malpais Legate posted:

A lot of the whole ~mysterious tension~ of Beyond The Wall is really lost when you see Zombie Apocalypse #335 on-screen.

It was spooky before because the only time a White Walker is ever encountered on-screen, Sam's half dead and blind in the snow. Before then, wights were mostly off-screen armies that just made them a lot more "looming" than "skeleton army of the Lich King come to eat your children." That scene was just long and boring and made the White Walkers seem a lot less threatening.

Also lol dead children are the Spearwife's ONE WEAKNESS.

aiel lover spotted

also hardholme was the best GRRM related thing in 15 years. By not sucking.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Why don't you break it down for everyone, Professor Poindexter.

oh shiiiiiiiit

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
It's hardhome guys, it's a hard home.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Hardyhore you say?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

emanresu tnuocca posted:

It's the first time they've appeared fully clad in armor, their previous appearances they were bare chested which I guess is a little more badass? I mean, if you are already imprevious to non-enchanted weapons and clearly don't care about the cold the armor seems somewhat surplus to requirements. And if they absolutely had to wear armor for some reason I would have preferred something a bit more ornate and less rubbery looking.

Just checked this and when the night's king previously made an appearance (when converting craster's baby) he was wearing black leather but it didn't look like proper armor.

Ultimately I much prefer Martin's description of the others but I guess it just wasn't 'horror' enough for the purpose of the show. Also a convincing ice armor effect might have been tougher to produce.

Yeah, I just think this:

is spookier than this:

The first one seems almost to be a part of the snows around him. You even see it misting off the back of him. He's barely clothed and he looks very old. You look at it and can't begin to imagine what motivates a creature like that.

The second one looks like an Uruk Hai general in LOTR or something. He's literally standing there in his plastic armor in a bring it on pose. This isn't a mysterious and terrifying enemy. He just wants to kill poo poo up, just like every other loving character in this show. If this is based on GRRM's notes, than he really dropped the ball here. He had the opportunity for the Others to be something other than the generic foreign horde that every fantasy novel flings at the heroes. They could have had motivations completely incomprehensible to the humans. Instead it seems like their motivation is basically "KILL U".

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
"bring it on" pose? sounds like someone's never been hugged

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Also, I just noticed that the textures on the second pic are insanely blurry and lovely compared to the detail on the first one. The whole thing was just a huge step backward from what they'd already done.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The best thing with the season 2 walker is that his eyes seem to express indifference, him looking right at Sam in that frame only makes it better. The night's king and the walker jon fights really have a much less enigmatic malevolent look on their face, agreed it's much less cool.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I actually think that hardhome is easily the best action sequence they've had on the show and I think it was high time to have the walkers kick some rear end, some of the artistic choices are a step backwards for sure but it was still a kick rear end scene. The armor is utter garbage though.

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

That's the Undertaker/Kane pose so I was expecting either the lights to lift on Hardhome or some kick rear end pyro to go off around the Night's King.

:bahgawd: Blizzards and Ravens! It's the Night's King, ...King!

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Junkenstein posted:

the difference between wights and zombies was supposed to be wights don't eat or infect their victims and they're controlled by an outside force

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hunky Joe posted:

The whole point of the Jaime/Bronn stuff was to see that chick's tits. And it was worth it. Send Jaime back north who cares now we saw what we wanted to see here.

alright, i will

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

ol

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Quoting again because how is everyone involved with this not dead from embarrassment.

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The best thing with the season 2 walker is that his eyes seem to express indifference, him looking right at Sam in that frame only makes it better. The night's king and the walker jon fights really have a much less enigmatic malevolent look on their face, agreed it's much less cool.

i can't get over the mummy white walkers, people are going to think they're just wights who got smarter

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Quoting again because how is everyone involved with this not dead from embarrassment.

wait why is jaime's sword in his right hand

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

A Major Fucker posted:

wait why is jaime's sword in his right hand

thats bronn

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

i trolled you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU