Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Republican Vampire posted:

Because it's a lazy way of giving the protagonist pathos and ignorance of the setting, but the necessarily brief glimpse we get of his life before the story proper starts undercuts our ability to care about what he's nominally lost.

How is it lazier than giving the player character amnesia in your favorite Fallout?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Because it's a lazy way of giving the protagonist pathos and ignorance of the setting, but the necessarily brief glimpse we get of his life before the story proper starts undercuts our ability to care about what he's nominally lost.

Give him amnesia I say.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Keeshhound posted:

Wasn't that also one of the characters in Mothership Zeta?

There were like three you met plus a bunch in recordings.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

sout posted:

There's always a vault. There's always a man. There's always a guy who says "war never changes."
So you're saying this is in the Bioshock canon?

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
What else did those mysterious audition slides say?

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Yaos posted:

The player character in Skyrim is voiced.

Actual dialogue isn't the same thing as uttering sound effects. Unless you consider Link a voiced character.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

How is that different from living in a utopian vault, which we need to leave to face the dark and evil real world?

Harrow posted:

Well, at least we can be pretty sure that this is what the actual game will look like and we're not being shown some doctored-up marketing graphics.

Right?

...right?

These pictures don't look good enough to be "doctored-up"

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Yaos posted:

How is it lazier than giving the player character amnesia in your favorite Fallout?

The Courier doesn't have amnesia. He or she is just a totally blank slate who can be as ignorant or aware as the player wants.

But it's also not an issue of laziness. I'm sure they've put a lot of work into their dumb premise, complete with flashbacks and lovingly designed ruins full of dioramas they've set up to give you emotions. It's just wasted effort, like all the father/son crap in Fallout 3.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Bethesda's main problem is that we live in a world where The Witcher 3 exists.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I cannot wait to listen to troy baker go "hunh...." or "lookie what we got here..." every time I go through a box

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Part of me wishes that they made the vault dweller a lady just to immolate the Internet.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

1stGear posted:

Witcher 3 has ray guns!?

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Bholder posted:

How is that different from living in a utopian vault, which we need to leave to face the dark and evil real world?

You could and did return to Vault 13 to do side quests and get an ongoing sense of the community and your place in it. Bethesda did something similar with Vault 101, but I don't think it really worked either because so much of that was bound up in James, who was a total nonstarter as a character.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Super good job cancelling Prey 2 to make this Bethesda. A+ decision making.

Mr. Kerstbal
Sep 2, 2011

ORIGINAL MONKEY FUCKER

Rexicon1 posted:

Part of me wishes that they made the vault dweller a lady just to immolate the Internet.

For sure

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

CJacobs posted:

I cannot wait to listen to troy baker go "hunh...." or "lookie what we got here..." every time I go through a box

If Bethesda is smart they'll just hire Matthew Mercer. It's cheaper and they'll get the same performance.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

1stGear posted:

Nobody can make a game as lovely as The Witcher 3, but I'm sure Bethesda will try.

The Courier doesn't have amnesia. He or she is just a totally blank slate who can be as ignorant or aware as the player wants.
Also known as amnesia.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

AlternateAccount posted:

Agreed.

Fellbat
Feb 23, 2014

The vault boy is already super stylized, pop games you lovely plastic baubles hacks.

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012
Ahahahahahahaha

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

But it's also not an issue of laziness. I'm sure they've put a lot of work into their dumb premise, complete with flashbacks and lovingly designed ruins full of dioramas they've set up to give you emotions. It's just wasted effort, like all the father/son crap in Fallout 3.

I don't want flashbacks/pre-war stuff either.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Note literally everyone's elbow in the same spot because gently caress having different animations for very different characters.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

If there's a real problem with the potential engine, it will be about loading screens.

AlternateAccount posted:

Note literally everyone's elbow in the same spot because gently caress having different animations for very different characters.

Just like in every other game, ever.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Yaos posted:

Nobody can make a game as lovely as The Witcher 3

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

If Bethesda is smart they'll just hire Matthew Mercer. It's cheaper and they'll get the same performance.

I was tripping out during Pillars of Eternity because both companions you get at the beginning of the game after the tutorial area are voiced by Matthew Mercer, who sounds exactly like Troy Baker.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

Ahahahahahahaha

Not only does everybody in this shot have the same skeleton, it's the same animation from Fallout 3.

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012

AlternateAccount posted:

Also note that its the exact same run animation they've been using since Oblivion lmfao

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

Also note that its the exact same run animation they've been using since Oblivion lmfao

That dude on the left is using the same crouch animation.

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012

Yaos posted:

That dude on the left is using the same crouch animation.

Lol I didn't notice this at first

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I heard the lead animator for Bethesda Studios was a college friend of Todd Howard who got hired despite the fact that he failed his computer animation course at college twice.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

SunAndSpring posted:

I heard the lead animator for Bethesda Studios was a college friend of Todd Howard who got hired despite the fact that he failed his computer animation course at college twice.

You failed making good posts but that never stopped you.

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

A superstitious cowardly lot.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

make critical VATS headshots make the targets' eyes explode, even when shot from back or side of head = return of eyeshots

And groin shots please. Thank you.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
Give me a gun, a dog and a nuclear wasteland and I will buy your DLCs and play for 200 hours. Seeing how this is a Bethesda in-house production, obviously this isn't going to be as good as F:NV. I doubt however that F4 will be worse than F3 story and gameplay wise and I really enjoyed F3. Agreed that graphics are nothing to write home about, but as the cliche saying goes - no one plays Fallout for graphics.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I know I should be complaining that this is going to be bad and evil and disappointing compared to New Vegas because Bethesda but I'm really loving excited nonetheless.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jun 3, 2015

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Also I wish Bethesda would acknowledge that their implementation of VATS in a 3rd person FPS is loving dumb and doesn't work and needs a pretty serious rethink. OH LOL I SHOT HIM IN THE DICK LOOOOLLLLL

Fellbat
Feb 23, 2014
The fact that they managed to add colours was such a huge innovation for them that they probably gave up and took a nap, instead of fixing everything else.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I know I should be complaining that this is going to be bad and evil and disappointing compared to New Vegas because Bethesda but I'm really loving exciting nonetheless.

Agreed, you are exciting...and dreamy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

AlternateAccount posted:

I still have hope. :smith:

Yaos posted:

Not only does everybody in this shot have the same skeleton, it's the same animation from Fallout 3.

Why'd this take 4 years again?

• Locked thread