Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

can i use the discount on mods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I'm gonna play the f4llout and I'm gonna enjoy the f4llout, maybe after a few bugfix patches, but definitely eventually.

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

SunAndSpring posted:

I'm just gonna predict the beginning of the game. You start off just before the bombs land. You go through your army physical or something to set your stats, learn the controls by wandering around a bit, and interact with all your neighbors and wife or husband. Then the bombs start dropping, you run to the Vault with your family and then you enter a cryogenics pod and advance 200 or so years into the future. You wake up, but everyone else is missing, so your main goal is searching for where your family and neighbors went.

I'm... saving this for later because you're probably depressingly correct...

And you'll probably end up the SAVIOR OF THE EARTH because your of your clean pre-war DNA or you know the entry code to some important military installation or some poo poo that makes you feel special but does absolutely nothing to increase player agency.

Hoping for a player power to, I don't know, blow people away when you shout really loud in your Basten accent.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

I had a lot of fun playing Fallout, too. New Vegas at least. Its just incredible to me that they are still using the Gamebryo engine and all the animations, models, and assets that they've had in the engine since oblivion.

Sure. It's not necessarily A Good Thing. I've sort of heard it enough times today though.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I'm gonna play the f4llout and I'm gonna enjoy the f4llout, maybe after a few bugfix patches, but definitely eventually.

:agreed:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
is there any ballpark release date yet

like holiday 2015 or something

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

Lol how can you defend this poo poo

Personally, I think it looks fine. Not good but not to a point where I would call it bad.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Saagonsa posted:

Personally, I think it looks fine. Not good but not to a point where I would call it bad.

it looks barely better than skyrim did in 2011

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

A superstitious cowardly lot.

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

I had a lot of fun playing Fallout, too. New Vegas at least. Its just incredible to me that they are still using the Gamebryo engine and all the animations, models, and assets that they've had in the engine since oblivion.

It's older than that. Elements of the engine date back to Morrowind.

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012

sout posted:

Sure. It's not necessarily A Good Thing. I've sort of heard it enough times today though.

Get ready to hear it a whole lot more next week when we get game play footage.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Ten bucks says they're gonna pull the "well Fallout takes place in a post-ALTERNATE REALITY 1950s, so they're probably actually really progressive" card. The fact this was not true in earlier iterations of the series will likely have no bearing on this decision.

:v: "Nrgh... sorry Elizabethmeat... I was just thinking of my husband.... huff....... he was the best man I ever met..... our son was so beautiful"
:dogge: <Weren't you alive in the 1950s Troy Baker?>
:v: "Yes Elizabethmeat I was...... but it was a different 1950s than the one most people know.... (wink and nod at the audience)... much more progressive for sure....."

Yes, this would totally be out of place. Fallout certainly never did this before. There were certainly not established lore-based situations where, for example, women were part of the army pre-war. Not at all. God drat Bethesda ruining the lore by following the idea that it was an alternate version of history that expanded out of the 1950s, not Literally The 1950s.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I really want Bethesda to put an incarnation of M'aiq The Liar into 4. The reaction in the New Vegas thread alone could fuel hours of "Can you believe people are offended at X or the lack of Y?" dialogue.

Super excited for another main/numbered Fallout.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

Agreed. I can't believe they're going back to in house development instead of letting Obsidian develop 4.

I can't imagine them outsourcing development of one of their hottest IPs to a firm that doesn't have the full time staff do make all of the assets and updates to the engine.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
The worst part is how long we have to wait until someone competent gets their hands on this franchise again. If they let it happen another time.

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012

Saagonsa posted:

4 years ago I would've agreed with you. But not now. The graphics look straight bad put next to modern games.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, this would totally be out of place. Fallout certainly never did this before. There were certainly not established lore-based situations where, for example, women were part of the army pre-war. Not at all. God drat Bethesda ruining the lore by following the idea that it was an alternate version of history that expanded out of the 1950s, not Literally The 1950s.

It also had people being killed in the streets for being gay and made "you are gay" be an unlockable character perk so shrug

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MisterBibs posted:

I really want Bethesda to put an incarnation of M'aiq The Liar into 4. The reaction in the New Vegas thread alone could fuel hours of "Can you believe people are offended at X or the lack of Y?" dialogue.

Super excited for another main/numbered Fallout.

It would have been so easy to have Mike the Liar in FO3 I don't know why they didn't.

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Ten bucks says they're gonna pull the "well Fallout takes place in a post-ALTERNATE REALITY 1950s, so they're probably actually really progressive" card. The fact this was not true in earlier iterations of the series will likely have no bearing on this decision.

:v: "Nrgh... sorry Elizabethmeat... I was just thinking of my husband.... huff....... he was the best man I ever met..... our son was so beautiful"
:dogge: <Weren't you alive in the 1950s Troy Baker?>
:v: "Yes Elizabethmeat I was...... but it was a different 1950s than the one most people know.... (wink and nod at the audience)... much more progressive for sure....."

Fallout takes place in an alternate reality where the pop culture of the U.S. stagnated in the late-50's/early-60's. The bombs fell in 2077. Where did you think the power armor and laser guns came from?

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
I should probably start planning on saving up my FO4 Mod coupons for the really heinous sex mods.

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012

TheBuilder posted:

I can't imagine them outsourcing development of one of their hottest IPs to a firm that doesn't have the full time staff do make all of the assets and updates to the engine.

There aren't going to be any updates to the engine anyway. Have you played a Bethesda game in the last 10 years?

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Eonwe posted:

is there any ballpark release date yet

like holiday 2015 or something

Nothing official. I think it's going to be announced at E3.

My guess is October 23rd, 2015. October 23rd, 2077 (http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Great_War). It's would be a Friday launch, same as Skyrim.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Just imagine what this game will look like once people start noticing that the actual game graphics are worse than they looked in the trailer. The downgrade arguments are going to be hilarious.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Merry Magpie posted:

It's older than that. Elements of the engine date back to Morrowind.

And the unreal engine dates back to 98, nobody complains about that.

Icept posted:

The worst part is how long we have to wait until someone competent gets their hands on this franchise again. If they let it happen another time.

So definitely not Obsidian

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

ImpAtom posted:

I would assume based off Bethesda's long-running history of games that look kind of rear end and yet people still play for roughly seven thousand hours.

Also, while Gamebryo is crappy, can somebody name another game similar to Skyrim or FNV in scope that allows that much modding.

The graphics look serviceable so hopefully the game runs at decent frame rate on consoles while in PCs there will be 4k texture mods, graphic mods to take care of the issue.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Roobanguy posted:

it looks barely better than skyrim did in 2011

I'm okay with that. Skyrim looked/s amazing.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I want one of those body replacer mods with super big titties and lovingly modeled flaccid dongs.

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012

Ice Fist posted:

Just imagine what this game will look like once people start noticing that the actual game graphics are worse than they looked in the trailer. The downgrade arguments are going to be hilarious.

I don't think you could possibly get any worse but I'm sure I'll be pleasantly surprised

Mr. Kerstbal
Sep 2, 2011

ORIGINAL MONKEY FUCKER

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

Lol how can you defend this poo poo

Very carefully.

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012

Bholder posted:

Lmao. Really?

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

Agreed. I can't believe they're going back to in house development instead of letting Obsidian develop 4.

Gameplay was fine after judicial amount of modding and personally I preferred the setting to FNV. That said, yeah story was weak.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Anime Curator posted:

I'm okay with that. Skyrim looked/s amazing.

skyrim with mods can look pretty as heck. but vanilla skyrim is pretty eh by todays standards atleast.

in a world where the witcher 3 exists and looks super good and is open world, a game released later this year/next year and looks like slightly better skyrim will just look super bad in comparison.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

oblomov posted:

Gameplay was fine after judicial amount of modding and personally I preferred the setting to FNV. That said, yeah story was weak.

Guys, this game is totally great once you mod it to hell and ensure that you are as far away from the released vanilla game as possible!

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012

oblomov posted:

Also, while Gamebryo is crappy, can somebody name another game similar to Skyrim or FNV in scope that allows that much modding.

The graphics look serviceable so hopefully the game runs at decent frame rate on consoles while in PCs there will be 4k texture mods, graphic mods to take care of the issue.

Why should we accept a lovely base product that needs mods to either fix or make every aspect of it acceptable?

Mr. Kerstbal
Sep 2, 2011

ORIGINAL MONKEY FUCKER

Bholder posted:

Durrrrr?

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012
It boggles my mind that theres anybody who thinks New Vegas was anything but a massive improvement improvement over fallout 3

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

Why should we accept a lovely base product that needs mods to fix every aspect of it?

It's disappointing, but good enough not to ruin the enjoyment of the game.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Yes, I'd rather have an actual Post Apocalyptic wasteland rather than recent, extremely brown battlefields.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Generic Monk posted:

Word on the street is it's set in Boston.
Wah.

Wah nevah changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."
I've only ever played fallout 1. Never experienced the jump to 3D. I just might buy a ps4 this Christmas..

• Locked thread