Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bholder posted:

Yes, I'd rather have an actual Post Apocalyptic wasteland rather than recent, extremely brown battlefields.

I'd rather get a game that can at least score an 85 average, something Obsidian just couldn't deliver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Fallout 4: Too autistic to pet a dog

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

Why should we accept a lovely base product that needs mods to either fix or make every aspect of it acceptable?

Don't buy games from Bethesda then. I mean this is not the first game that will be like that but rather 6th (or 5th if you count FNV as Obsidian's). They all needed mods. Also, the graphics don't look lovely to me, perfectly serviceable and hopefully this means good frame rate in consoles.

Knifegrab posted:

Guys, this game is totally great once you mod it to hell and ensure that you are as far away from the released vanilla game as possible!

Yeap, that's Bethesda for you.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
I hope the dog lives. :ohdear:

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Bholder posted:

Yes, I'd rather have an actual Post Apocalyptic wasteland rather than recent, extremely brown battlefields.

Funny, because I'd rather have factions with some actual depth to them instead of a Disney version of Brotherhood of Steel where they are the Good Guys and you are forced to fall in line, regardless of what was originally written about them.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Paper With Lines posted:

I hope the dog lives. :ohdear:

u r the dog

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

It boggles my mind that theres anybody who thinks New Vegas was anything but a massive improvement improvement over fallout 3

The setting wasn't as I thought DC was more interesting (setting, not story).

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012

Bholder posted:

That's just the art style and setting you're complaining about though. How does that make Obsidian bad developers?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, this would totally be out of place. Fallout certainly never did this before. There were certainly not established lore-based situations where, for example, women were part of the army pre-war. Not at all. God drat Bethesda ruining the lore by following the idea that it was an alternate version of history that expanded out of the 1950s, not Literally The 1950s.

I honestly think it'd be an interesting start if the female PC starts off as a simple housewife instead of a soldier. Gives you both sides of the pre-war conflict; soldier gets to see the pre-war jingoism and single-minded hatred of the Chinese that goes on around the military, housewife gets to deal with the repressive and stagnant values of pre-war US culture. But, Bethesda wouldn't be skilled enough to pull it off in a way that doesn't make people cringe so yeah they'll probably just make both genders soldiers and call it a day.

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

A superstitious cowardly lot.

Bholder posted:

And the unreal engine dates back to 98, nobody complains about that.

If you look within Unreal Engine 4, you're unlikely to see legacy code from 2002.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I know this is going to be an ugly, broken, janky game with stilted diagloue but at the same time, all Fallout games have been, same with Skyrim

still fun

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Were titties bigger in the '50s, and related, does radiation make titties bigger?

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!

that would be awesome since he is obviously the vault dweller's dog and the vault dweller doesn't have a pleb job like "anime curator." i'll take second seat to basically a super hero.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

It boggles my mind that theres anybody who thinks New Vegas was anything but a massive improvement improvement over fallout 3

I thought DC was a cooler setting than the desert.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Everyone in this thread's gonna buy it and have over 4000 hours play time, like they did with Oblivion, Fallout 3, New Vegas and Skyrim, the graphics aren't the best but they are far from terrible, infact, graphics are the last thing I'd give a poo poo about in Fallout.
All I want is to wear future robot armour and shoot lasers at mutated dudes/shopkeepers/dogs, everything else is secondary.

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012

oblomov posted:

The setting wasn't as I thought DC was more interesting (setting, not story).

I can see that. But the quest design, mechanics, and everything else were undeniably better in NV.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Oh god I'm getting dragged into arguing about the loving Fallout story in Bethesda games.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Firstborn posted:

Were titties bigger in the '50s, and related, does radiation make titties bigger?

no, yes

and im glad of it

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Judge Tesla posted:

Everyone in this thread's gonna buy it and have over 4000 hours play time, like they did with Oblivion, Fallout 3, New Vegas and Skyrim, the graphics aren't the best but they are far from terrible, infact, graphics are the last thing I'd give a poo poo about in Fallout.
All I want is to wear future robot armour and shoot lasers at mutated dudes/shopkeepers/dogs, everything else is secondary.

yes but we can still make fun of the game

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

Thats just the setting though! Everybody who likes 3 over NV seems just prefer it because of the setting.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SunAndSpring posted:

I honestly think it'd be an interesting start if the female PC starts off as a simple housewife instead of a soldier. Gives you both sides of the pre-war conflict; soldier gets to see the pre-war jingoism and single-minded hatred of the Chinese that goes on around the military, housewife gets to deal with the repressive and stagnant values of pre-war US culture. But, Bethesda wouldn't be skilled enough to pull it off in a way that doesn't make people cringe so yeah they'll probably just make both genders soldiers and call it a day.

That would be legit interesting but probably just not something you can pull off well in a game. It's almost impossible to make a player-controlled character have thoughts and feelings the player doesn't. The best you get is like Geralt and even then he's pretty open-minded/progressive/ect based off player action. You can show the values but you can't really make a character who lives them AND has player choice.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Firstborn posted:

snakes now have titties

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
A game set in New England? I don't care what it is, but it's an excellent excuse to employ Martin Sheen. Do that and I'll buy for sure. Bartlett-tan :allears:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Firstborn posted:

No and yes.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

SunAndSpring posted:

That'd be neat in theory but let's be honest it would just be a bunch of hamfisted bullshit if they actually tried to do it. Trying to do political statements in video games usually doesn't end well at all.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

Thats just the setting though! Everybody who likes 3 over NV seems just prefer it because of the setting.

Yah the setting means a lot to me cause I cared more about the exploration more than the story or writing.

I liked finding cool buildings and areas and just exploring them.

Also the alien spaceship, that alien spaceship was cool.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

A large part of open world games is the setting, so that makes sense.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Judge Tesla posted:

I think it looks pretty good, at least the atmospheric effects and lighting are definitely a step above bethesdas other games.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Eonwe posted:

yes but we can still make fun of the game

i plan on posting really bad about the game just because it will upset people even though im gonna play the poo poo out of it

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Sharkopath posted:

Yah the setting means a lot to me cause I cared more about the exploration more than the story or writing.

Also the alien spaceship, that alien spaceship was cool.

I wanna go to the Institute and chat with androids and earn both rewards through specific timing tricks for EVERY quest there.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Eonwe posted:

i plan on posting really bad about the game just because it will upset people even though im gonna play the poo poo out of it

That seems lame, you should just post good about stuff you like instead.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Sharkopath posted:

I think it looks pretty good, at least the atmospheric effects and lighting are definitely a step above bethesdas other games.

it reminds me of fallout with bioshock infinite graphics

im glad of it

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Sharkopath posted:

That seems lame, you should just post good about stuff you like instead.

ill do both friend

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Sharkopath posted:

Yeah, they really look perfectly good. They aren't holy poo poo amazing or anything but that really doesn't matter too much to me.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Eonwe posted:

ill do both friend

Thank you.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

im being down on the game now but its not going to stop me from buying it day one and playing it because im a big loving idiot.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

CJacobs posted:

I cannot wait to listen to troy baker go "hunh...." or "lookie what we got here..." every time I go through a box
I think they should just hire the Boss voice actors from Saints Row for all the voice options.

Oh and I wonder what the voice cast is going to be?

Hopefully they take cues from New Vegas which had a surprisingly stacked cast
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1706601/

Sharkopath posted:

But the desert can be really cool, there is so much beauty in its desolation

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Sharkopath posted:

Oh yes, it looks a lot, lot better than previous Beth games, it's pretty much what I'd expected it to look like after Skyrim.

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

Yeah but something tells me those nice effects and lighting are going to be mysteriously absent in the final game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Sharkopath posted:

Agreed. I think for a lot of people NV was too far into the future setting-wise. I think a lot of players wanted Fallout's setting to be in the early post-apocalyptic days, as opposed to 200 years in the future. Fallout 3's art direction and map design made it feel like the bombs fell recently. Which, obviously, was at odds with the entire Fallout lore.

• Locked thread