Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

Yeah but something tells me those nice effects and lighting are going to be mysteriously absent in the final game.

on consoles? yes

definitely

on pc? no they'll still be there and then people will put out graphics enhancements + nude mods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

BlackLaser posted:

My guess is October 23rd, 2015. October 23rd, 2077 (http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Great_War). It's would be a Friday launch, same as Skyrim.

This is my birthday and I live outside of Boston.

Confirmed.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

It would have been so easy to have Mike the Liar in FO3 I don't know why they didn't.

Oh that's rather simple: It might be called 3, but it was the first Fallout for the majority of the population. Characters like M'aiq work because most people reading/listening to his stuff will understand that people were actually asking/bitching about that stuff, and outside of folks like NMA, that didn't exist for Fallout 3.

With a proper numbered sequel helmed by the dudes who made 3, they have it. They've got people who think Fallout 3 was great to complain about this-or-that, and you've got the modern incarnation of NMA with Obsidian fetishists who think New Vegas was awesome. A great Mockery Base (for lack of a better term) for a Mike character.

Mr. Kerstbal
Sep 2, 2011

ORIGINAL MONKEY FUCKER

Bholder posted:

Yes, I'd rather have an actual Post Apocalyptic wasteland rather than recent, extremely brown battlefields.

Taste my blade.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Merry Magpie posted:

If you look within Unreal Engine 4, you're unlikely to see legacy code from 2002.
It's actually pretty darn likely there is. No one in their right mind throws everything out the window and start from scratch, reinventing the wheel as they go along, unless they're somehow forced to. Where possible everyone - not just Bethesda - re-uses stuff.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Sharkopath posted:

I think it looks pretty good, at least the atmospheric effects and lighting are definitely a step above bethesdas other games.

it is, but I guess people expected Far Cry 5 or something

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

I can see that. But the quest design, mechanics, and everything else were undeniably better in NV.

Oh, no question, NV, was better in that regard. However, I like to explore in Bethesda games and for that DC was more fun (for me). NV is still a better game. Noe, if we are talking consoles then NV would be the only choice as default vanilla F3 wasn't that good. Then again, IMO, Bethesda games work best on PC due to mods.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
I don't understand the pissing and moaning about graphics, every Bethesda game looks like a janky turd and I don't know why anyone would expect otherwise.

Game is still gonna own bones.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

I don't understand the pissing and moaning about graphics, every Bethesda game looks like a janky turd and I don't know why anyone would expect otherwise.

But, but Witcher 3 had glorious Geralt hair. What will er do without that? To be fair, I am fairly certain that W3 has better writing then F4 with have, but that's a different topic :).

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

I think it looks pretty good, at least the atmospheric effects and lighting are definitely a step above bethesdas other games.

Yeah it looks waaaaaay better in motion than in the stills which is encouragingly the opposite of most Bethesda games.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

Yeah, this and on the bright side, it'll probably run ok on everyone's 10 year old PCs.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I can't wait to kill Wally the Super Mutant under the Green Monstah.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Honestly, the player character being voiced and having a tragic back-story seems really limiting to me. I liked that the New Vegas guy was just some dude or lady from the wastes who delivered mail and got shot in the head. That was it. I didn't like that the DLC introduced this weird narrative revolving around how you accidentally ruined a budding wasteland community and some guy was trying to kill you because of it. It really takes the imagination out of the game. Just let me play pretend as my custom wasteland dude that I spent an hour making.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I'm just happy we have real directional lightning this time

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Generic Monk posted:

Yeah they look waaaaaay better in motion than in the stills which is encouragingly the opposite of most Bethesda games.

I think most games look better that way, or at least I've always been really disappointed every time I take a steam screenshot of something I thought was really cool at the time and look at it later.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

1stGear posted:

Bethesda's main problem is that we live in a world where The Witcher 3 exists.

magic and potions are gay. gimme guns and nukes

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

achillesforever6 posted:

Hopefully they take cues from New Vegas which had a surprisingly stacked cast
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1706601/

It's a Bethesda game. Before long, everything about it is going to be surprisingly stacked :v:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

SunAndSpring posted:

Honestly, the player character being voiced and having a tragic back-story seems really limiting to me. I liked that the New Vegas guy was just some dude or lady from the wastes who delivered mail and got shot in the head. That was it. I didn't like that the DLC introduced this weird narrative revolving around how you accidentally ruined a budding wasteland community and some guy was trying to kill you because of it. It really takes the imagination out of the game. Just let me play pretend as my custom wasteland dude that I spent an hour making.

Lonesome Road was fine in that regard because you didn't actually do it you were just making a delivery like couriers do (that was kind of the point). But yeah it's really gonna be dumb if they go even further down the lovely route FO3 did with the main storyline.

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

A superstitious cowardly lot.

Raygereio posted:

It's actually pretty darn likely there is. No one in their right mind throws everything out the window and start from scratch, reinventing the wheel as they go along, unless they're somehow forced to. Where possible everyone - not just Bethesda - re-uses stuff.

Fair point.

Still, Epic licenses Unreal out to other developers. I would hope they at least attempted to remove code for no-longer supported features.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Zzulu posted:

it is, but I guess people expected Far Cry 5 or something

Talking of which I was thinking to myself that I hope the gunplay will be better or at least not complete floaty jank like FO3, then thought of first person open world games with dece gunplay, thought of Far Cry and instantly recoiled. gently caress Far Cry, or more specifically gently caress the grindy, ineffective skinner box Ubi have turned it into. I'd rather play Fallout 3. as a shooter

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
I am ready to play this video game.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?

SunAndSpring posted:

None of which is worse than FO3's story, in which you were forced to be an altruist or had to ignore the main quest line. At best you could be a horrible slaver who would occasionally come back to sass talk your dad while helping him save the wasteland.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
looking forward to the new easter egg memes.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's too bad Obsidian isn't making it though for real.

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012

Eonwe posted:

on consoles? yes

definitely

on pc? no they'll still be there and then people will put out graphics enhancements + nude mods

Guaranteed consoles are the lead platform as has been the case with every Bethesda game so if the effects get the axe there, they're gone on PC too.

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's too bad Obsidian isn't making it though for real.

Yeah it really is.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
if you like obsidian so much why dont you marry them

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

If only it were legal...

strong bird
May 12, 2009

while corporations are legal persons in terms of property and tax law they are not legal persons in terms of marriage law

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

David Corbett posted:

It's a Bethesda game. Before long, everything about it is going to be surprisingly stacked :v:
Oh god I just realized with the whole Android subplot they are going to do something stupid like spend all their VA budget on Harrison Ford because Bladerunner

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SunAndSpring posted:

Well, you just described Witcher (which is in fact a licensed game series based on books, even if that gets overlooked a lot!) You can absolutely pull it off with good writing.

"With good writing" being key there.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Nobody is excited about the new pop culture references?
Predictions:

- The wrecking ball from Miley Cyrus video and some guy talks about a ghoul that lost her jaw so she always has her tongue sticking out.
- The Boston Commonwealth has one dude who argues that there's no way the bandits can get through their wall, b/c their stolen jet fuel doesn't melt steel beams
- Pepe the frog scrawled on a wall
- A unique set of power armor colored like Iron Man
- When you get dogmeat the previous owner says "so dog much fallout wow" and is retarded from nuclear fallout
- probably something from Mad Max

strong bird
May 12, 2009

What VA budget are you talking about exactly

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

Guaranteed consoles are the lead platform as has been the case with every Bethesda game so if the effects get the axe there, they're gone on PC too.

thats pretty much now how that works tho

they just pretty much disable the effects and questions about "which version looks the best" get ignored and then the PC version looks way better

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Firstborn posted:

Predictions:

- The wrecking ball from Miley Cyrus video and some guy talks about a ghoul that lost her jaw so she always has her tongue sticking out.
- The Boston Commonwealth has one dude who argues that there's no way the bandits can get through their wall, b/c their stolen jet fuel doesn't melt steel beams
- When you get dogmeat the previous owner says "so dog much fallout wow" and is retarded from nuclear fallout
- probably something from Mad Max

same but IRL unironically agreed

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Firstborn posted:

Predictions:

-The boston bomber brothers make a surprise appearance and are ritualisticly murdered by the surviving government to rapturous applause

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

what a loving nerd

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

Well, you just described Witcher (which is in fact a licensed game series based on books, even if that gets overlooked a lot!) You can absolutely pull it off with good writing.

"With good writing" being key there.

I don't like it in any game because the player character should be a cipher as video games are not films or books.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

strong bird posted:

-The boston bomber brothers make a surprise appearance and are ritualisticly murdered by the surviving government to rapturous applause

- a gun named after reddit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

I think most games look better that way, or at least I've always been really disappointed every time I take a steam screenshot of something I thought was really cool at the time and look at it later.

With Bethesda games I've found that you can install a bunch of graphics mods and take some great screenshots of lovely vistas and up close in the right lighting, but in motion somewhat taken out of the game by weird animation or someone glitching into a wall, shadows freaking out etc. Then again these are all planned beauty shots anyway so we'll have to wait for actual gameplay to be sure.

I'm optimistic about the gunplay at least, if only because bows in skyrim were pretty dece to use, and ranged weapons are probably easier to make look good compared to janky melee flailing.

• Locked thread