Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I never got too into exploration in F3 because typically the answer to "what will I find?" is dumb crap like the Gary clones. NV had stuff like the Boomers, which for good or ill kinda made it feel like you never left main story behind. IDK, maybe it depends on your tolerance for Random.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gasman
Mar 21, 2013

hey now

achillesforever6 posted:

Oh god I just realized with the whole Android subplot they are going to do something stupid like spend all their VA budget on Harrison Ford because Bladerunner

Now, if it would be Rutger Hauer, that would be totally fine by me.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Firstborn posted:

Nobody is excited about the new pop culture references?
Predictions:

- The wrecking ball from Miley Cyrus video and some guy talks about a ghoul that lost her jaw so she always has her tongue sticking out.
- The Boston Commonwealth has one dude who argues that there's no way the bandits can get through their wall, b/c their stolen jet fuel doesn't melt steel beams
- Pepe the frog scrawled on a wall
- A unique set of power armor colored like Iron Man
- When you get dogmeat the previous owner says "so dog much fallout wow" and is retarded from nuclear fallout
- probably something from Mad Max

Those are actually something you would see in New Vegas with Wild Wasteland on.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Bholder posted:

Those are actually something you would see in New Vegas with Wild Wasteland on.

Yes, but FO3 has a few pop references, too, so I suspect they will build on them.

- I think the Mad Max reference would be cool if a named powerfist is called "Furiosa"

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Well, you just described Witcher (which is in fact a licensed game series based on books, even if that gets overlooked a lot!) You can absolutely pull it off with good writing.

"With good writing" being key there.

Yeah. I mean, if Fallout 3 Dad, the wasteland messiah that he was, reacted appropriately to learning his child had become a monster in the wastes, it would've been interesting and maybe have created another path of the story you could travel along. Maybe the Brotherhood wouldn't want anything to do with you because you lost your dad's respect, so you gotta join the Enclave or some poo poo.

But nope, you just get mildly lectured for being a murderous slaver who nuked a town and then daddy dies.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Firstborn posted:

- a gun named after reddit

they could do a quest where you try to investigate a murder and you bring a picture around to a bunch of people in a town, all of whom speculate on who the killer could be and then based on the (lack of) evidence you lead a hysterical mob to kill the murderer

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Generic Monk posted:

With Bethesda games I've found that you can install a bunch of graphics mods and take some great screenshots of lovely vistas and up close in the right lighting, but in motion somewhat taken out of the game by weird animation or someone glitching into a wall, shadows freaking out etc. Then again these are all planned beauty shots anyway so we'll have to wait for actual gameplay to be sure.

I'm optimistic about the gunplay at least, if only because bows in skyrim were pretty dece to use, and ranged weapons are probably easier to make look good compared to janky melee flailing.

I will take back everything positive I said about the game if you cant still make people explode by hitting them with a sledgehammer if you have bloody mess.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
- a quest where you drag a printer to a girl's house, and there's no reward
- a npc named Dick Butt in a monocle and top hat who has a birth defect where his cock grows out of his buttcheek

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jun 3, 2015

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Eonwe posted:

they could do a quest where you try to investigate a murder and you bring a picture around to a bunch of people in a town, all of whom speculate on who the killer could be and then based on the (lack of) evidence you lead a hysterical mob to kill the murderer

also then the brotherhood catches the real bad guy

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Firstborn posted:

- a quest where you drag a printer to a girl's house, and there's no reward

This will surely make up for the graphics, animations and gameplay from 2009

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Firstborn posted:

Yes, but FO3 has a few pop references, too, so I suspect they will build on them.

- I think the Mad Max reference would be cool if a named powerfist is called "Furiosa"

Instead of Mysterious Stranger there's a perk for Doof Warrior.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Doof Warrior is +20% to Heavy Weapons (that was flamethrower, right?), +20% to Guitar

Feats of Strength
Feb 9, 2012

Man, If god told me to sacrifice my son I'd tell
him to fuck off.
I hope Bethesda learned some lessons from Obsidian, I really really hope they don't retreat to their standard formula of "Go to _x Cave/Metro/Dungeon/Bunker/Vault to collect _y Geck/Magic Sword/Power Armor/Murgelurk Semen for _z Caps/Gold/Enchanted Shoes/Double-cross" for every quest and also try and follow a non-linear narrative for the main quests rather than the good/bad railroad where whatever you do you essentially end up being good anyway despite your choices. Anyway looks interesting they seem to have gone for a slightly more cartoon-like appearance, guess it saves effort in the long run.

Nothing like a bit of Shandification

Feats of Strength fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 3, 2015

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

There better be a Cult of Tom Brady that use pumps as weapons.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Groovelord Neato posted:

There better be a Cult of Tom Brady that use pumps as weapons.

:eyepop:

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Craftable pressure cooker bombs.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I liked how colorful it was. Very curious as to if they'll undercut that with a dumb color filter like they did in the last 2 games.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

gasman posted:

Now, if it would be Rutger Hauer, that would be totally fine by me.
They should get Jeff Goldblum to voice a companion because who wouldn't want to hang out with Jeff Goldblum in the post post apocalypse?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Firstborn posted:

Nobody is excited about the new pop culture references?
Predictions:

- The wrecking ball from Miley Cyrus video and some guy talks about a ghoul that lost her jaw so she always has her tongue sticking out.
- The Boston Commonwealth has one dude who argues that there's no way the bandits can get through their wall, b/c their stolen jet fuel doesn't melt steel beams
- Pepe the frog scrawled on a wall
- A unique set of power armor colored like Iron Man
- When you get dogmeat the previous owner says "so dog much fallout wow" and is retarded from nuclear fallout
- probably something from Mad Max

Why are you talking about Borderlands 3 in the Fallout 4 thread?

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

Ariong posted:

I liked how colorful it was. Very curious as to if they'll undercut that with a dumb color filter like they did in the last 2 games.

There's probably a dumb color filter on it right now that's upping the saturation and contrast.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Looking forward to this game, hope it has coop so I can explore with my friends (probably won't).

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Knifegrab posted:

Fallout 4: Too autistic to pet a dog

I hope I can make him into a robot dog

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
The audition thing mentions a character that is a "cross between Buddy Holly and Vin Diesel".

What the gently caress? Can I just picture young Gary Busey with Riddick's goggles?

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?

Firstborn posted:

The audition thing mentions a character that is a "cross between Buddy Holly and Vin Diesel".

What the gently caress? Can I just picture young Gary Busey with Riddick's goggles?

Imagine if Buddy Holly had punched out the pilot and flown the plane to safety. Then saved an exploding titty.

Count Canuckula
Oct 22, 2014

Firstborn posted:

So a super mutant with the voice of an angel?

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Count Canuckula posted:

So a super mutant with the voice of an angel?

No idea if it's a super mutant. It just says his name is Sturges, he is an engineer. And that.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Really hoping this is just alpha graphics. With everything that's come out in the last half decade, gamebryo is just fugly. Not looking for a Witcher 3 level of quality, but some solid iteration on faces and figures would be nice to show after 5 years. Dogmeat looks straight out of FO3/NV.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sharkopath posted:

I thought DC was a cooler setting than the desert.

You are objectively wrong :colbert:

The Fallout 3 -> Fallout NV thing convinced me that an arid southwestern setting is as big a part of what makes a (good) Fallout game as the retro streamline moderne aesthetic.

Maybe Fallout 4 will prove otherwise. And if not, we can always hope for a Fallout: New Angeles in a few years that will correct its mistakes.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

OAquinas posted:

Really hoping this is just alpha graphics. With everything that's come out in the last half decade, gamebryo is just fugly. Not looking for a Witcher 3 level of quality, but some solid iteration on faces and figures would be nice to show after 5 years. Dogmeat looks straight out of FO3/NV.

Nah, that's pretty much what we will get, since the game is probably a holiday 2015 release.

(Also, "alpha" has completely lost its meaning after Ubisoft showed a video from their six months away Assassins Creed game and called it alpha footage)

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

mackintosh posted:

Agreed. I think for a lot of people NV was too far into the future setting-wise. I think a lot of players wanted Fallout's setting to be in the early post-apocalyptic days, as opposed to 200 years in the future. Fallout 3's art direction and map design made it feel like the bombs fell recently. Which, obviously, was at odds with the entire Fallout lore.

Doesn't FO3 take place in the same timeframe?

e: I looked it up and yeah, NV takes place only a few decades after FO3.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

mackintosh posted:

Agreed. I think for a lot of people NV was too far into the future setting-wise. I think a lot of players wanted Fallout's setting to be in the early post-apocalyptic days, as opposed to 200 years in the future. Fallout 3's art direction and map design made it feel like the bombs fell recently. Which, obviously, was at odds with the entire Fallout lore.

this was honestly the worst part of fallout 3

if its 200 years in the future yes things should be a wreck but there shouldn't be scraps from the war just piled like they were when the bombs dropped right in the middle of the road

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

man nurse posted:

I don't care about a new Fallout, but I'm happy for the people that do.

I appreciate you and people like you.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

My favorite part of Fallout 3 was turning on the robot factory, and then remembering I didn't have the ability to modify their programming, so now there's just a factory constantly making angry robots and I've made everybody's lives a little more dangerous.

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.
There better be a quest to save Ted Williams' frozen head or they're wasting the setting.

Fallout: New Bahston (You know they won't be able to resist using the stereotypical Boston accent with a lot of characters)

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

As I am going to be buying this and putting in 200 hours, all I need to know is if that is USS Constitution with rocket engines attached. :science:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
DC was a better setting because it's the goddamed capital of the US, and its strategic nature meant a lot of bombs would fall on it, ensuring that everything-is-rubble look would remain even 200 years down the line.

The nest NV expansion/mod/whatever was the one, unsurprisingly, that was a big corridor of ruined buildings. Fallout being post-apocalyptic, not post-post-apocalyptic, who would've thought.

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

Wahr.... wahr neva changes

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales
I know this thread is mostly for trolling but this game could have Morrowind-era textures and I'd still spend 200+ hours crouch-walking the wastes, sniping people in the dick and stealing their clothes so :shrug:. It would be nice if they built upon some of the general gameplay improvements of FNV (ammo types, companion wheel, faction rep, getting rid of Big Guns, etc) but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm guessing there's no way it will be released until 2016, at the earliest? Teasers like this always come out about a year ahead of time, right?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

DC was a better setting because it's the goddamed capital of the US, and its strategic nature meant a lot of bombs would fall on it, ensuring that everything-is-rubble look would remain even 200 years down the line.

The nest NV expansion/mod/whatever was the one, unsurprisingly, that was a big corridor of ruined buildings. Fallout being post-apocalyptic, not post-post-apocalyptic, who would've thought.

No, the best NV expansion was the one with the crazy robot scientists.

And the capital wasteland looking like the bombs just fell doesn't make any sense. On it's own it wouldn't be so bad, but it's just part of many big and small issues with the writing that just makes the game grate on you after a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

Wolfsheim posted:

I know this thread is mostly for trolling but this game could have Morrowind-era textures and I'd still spend 200+ hours crouch-walking the wastes, sniping people in the dick and stealing their clothes so :shrug:. It would be nice if they built upon some of the general gameplay improvements of FNV (ammo types, companion wheel, faction rep, getting rid of Big Guns, etc) but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm guessing there's no way it will be released until 2016, at the earliest? Teasers like this always come out about a year ahead of time, right?

For what it's worth, Todd Howard has said he'd like to see shorter timeframes between teasers and releases. It would not be shocking if this was a Christmas release.

• Locked thread