Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Genocyber posted:

Doesn't FO3 take place in the same timeframe?

e: I looked it up and yeah, NV takes place only a few decades after FO3.
Yeah FO3 starts in 2077 while NV starts in 2081

I imagine FO4 begins in like 2088 and hopefully FNV2 is like 2092

MisterBibs posted:

DC was a better setting because it's the goddamed capital of the US, and its strategic nature meant a lot of bombs would fall on it, ensuring that everything-is-rubble look would remain even 200 years down the line.

The nest NV expansion/mod/whatever was the one, unsurprisingly, that was a big corridor of ruined buildings. Fallout being post-apocalyptic, not post-post-apocalyptic, who would've thought.
Its kind of surprising that in the Pitt that Pittsburgh didn't really get nuked to oblivion considering it strategic industrial value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.
Everything in Fallout games looks like post World War 2 Berlin, not a nuked city since an almost completely flattened city is boring.

Commissar Of Doom
Apr 21, 2009
I just hope Obsidian makes another Fallout game.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

achillesforever6 posted:

Yeah FO3 starts in 2077 while NV starts in 2081

I imagine FO4 begins in like 2088 and hopefully FNV2 is like 2092

Its kind of surprising that in the Pitt that Pittsburgh didn't really get nuked to oblivion considering it strategic industrial value.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Commissar Of Doom posted:

I just hope Obsidian makes another Fallout game.

ill help you with simulating it

done

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

All I really care about is if they have iron sights and if I finally get to have a car to ride around the wasteland like in Fallout 2. :getin: :killdozer:

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

so whats up w the pre-war scene stuff using ingame assets

are you gonna be an eternal highlander who survived a nuclear apocalypse just to go out into the wasteland to hunt other highlanders for the secret of true immortality

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Fereydun posted:

are you gonna be an eternal highlander who survived a nuclear apocalypse just to go out into the wasteland to hunt other highlanders for the secret of true immortality

First ghoul player character

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

Oh by an 8 year old engine for a game that will be released in 2015 on last gen consoles. Yipee. You've really hit it out of the park this time, Bethesda. Whoo-hoo.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fereydun posted:

given that they had some like "memory lane" or whatever store i have a feeling you'll be able to go into simulations ala that 50s wonderland that got invaded by Chinese commies

I would love for there to be a lot of quests like that

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Boston sucks, why couldn't they pick a good city?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Droid posted:

Oh by an 8 year old engine for a game that will be released in 2015 on last gen consoles. Yipee. You've really hit it out of the park this time, Bethesda. Whoo-hoo.

i feel like remembering saying like 'no way are they going to use gamebryo on the next game' like at least 2 times in the past already

and here we are

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

slev posted:

Hate us 'cause ya aint us.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

slev posted:

i was calling for the Texas Commonwealth which would have owned, but i guess would have been too much like new vegas unless it was east Texas / Arkansas

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I am excited for this game and also excited I won't have to update my graphics card, but maybe I will I don't know

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Eonwe posted:

i was calling for the Texas Commonwealth which would have owned, but i guess would have been too much like new vegas unless it was east Texas / Arkansas

But we already knew the Commonwealth is MA in the Fallout setting (it's also the most famous state using the term commonwealth). Plus all the Institute stuff.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Digital trips? If you steal anything from an open world Ubisoft game, make it that.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Groovelord Neato posted:

Uhh but we already knew the Commonwealth is MA in the Fallout setting (it's also the most famous state using the term commonwealth). Plus all the Institute stuff.

yea but they did have a Texas Commonwealth in fallout lore im pretty sure

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
I preferred 3's setting to New Vegas. Everything in the Capital Wasteland felt like it was in a state of flux, with people huddled into poisoned, bombed-out towns and rotting, mirelurk-infested aircraft carriers because those places only might kill you when what's outside definitely will. New Vegas by comparison just felt a little bit too settled and safe. Nonchalantly wandering off into the hills to shoot varmints should be a death sentence, not a training mission.

I know that some level of normality should have resumed ~200 years after the bombs, but that doesn't mean it makes for a better game.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Professor Shark posted:

I am excited for this game and also excited I won't have to update my graphics card, but maybe I will I don't know

its gamebryo there is no loving way you are going to have to upgrade

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I want to get excited, I was pretty excited, up until I slowly started to realize that adding voice-acting to the main character is not only going to put some severe restraints on modding, it will absolutely kill the level of roleplaying possible in a narrative.

At least for a game of this type, that seems to be a real killer.

Also what the gently caress happened to the dog. Did they forget to turn on the effects? He looks flatter than the COD dog.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

I preferred 3's setting to New Vegas. Everything in the Capital Wasteland felt like it was in a state of flux, with people huddled into poisoned, bombed-out towns and rotting, mirelurk-infested aircraft carriers because those places only might kill you when what's outside definitely will. New Vegas by comparison just felt a little bit too settled and safe. Nonchalantly wandering off into the hills to shoot varmints should be a death sentence, not a training mission.

I know that some level of normality should have resumed ~200 years after the bombs, but that doesn't mean it makes for a better game.

i like that too actually i just would have liked to see a bit more industry on behalf of people i guess, which i felt like new vegas had

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Eonwe posted:

i feel like remembering saying like 'no way are they going to use gamebryo on the next game' like at least 2 times in the past already

and here we are

At this point, its less of a gamebryo and more of an octogamerian. Gameiatric?

Commissar Of Doom
Apr 21, 2009

If you wander up north of Goodsprings it IS a death sentence. In Fallout 3 you'd just meet a level scaled super mutant that can be killed by grazing it with a .22 pistol

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

OAquinas posted:

At this point, its less of a gamebryo and more of an octogamerian. Gameiatric?

:eyepop:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

You run into deathclaws much sooner in New Vegas than you do 3. You can also go the wrong direction and get wrecked by the strongest enemy in any of the newer games (gently caress cazadores).

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

SERPUS posted:

Why would you preorder this?

Why would you preorder any videogame? They won't run out.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Mordaedil posted:

I want to get excited, I was pretty excited, up until I slowly started to realize that adding voice-acting to the main character is not only going to put some severe restraints on modding, it will absolutely kill the level of roleplaying possible in a narrative.

At least for a game of this type, that seems to be a real killer.

Also what the gently caress happened to the dog. Did they forget to turn on the effects? He looks flatter than the COD dog.

You could always get modders to fill in for the voice actors. I'm sure they'll do a good job :suicide:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Yeah I had a brain fart on that :downs:

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Groovelord Neato posted:

You run into deathclaws much sooner in New Vegas than you do 3. You can also go the wrong direction and get wrecked by the strongest enemy in any of the newer games (gently caress cazadores).

A deathclaw randomly spawned in front of the Super Duper Mart when I was only at level 2. It was terrifying.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I really liked The Pitt and the Zion Park DLC areas in F3 and NV respectively but aside from that most of the landscape was forgettable samesy trash in both games. Can't imagine F4 will be that interesting of a setting, maybe there will be opportunities to get on a boat and go somewhere that is not Massachusetts (aka not boring as gently caress) at some point.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Please let there be no level scaling.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

True, that was a bad example, I just remember 3's wasteland feeling a lot more dangerous and unpredictable than NV's, and that being the reason 3 hooked me for multiple playthroughs while I played through NV maybe twice.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

I like that New Vegas is basically a post apocalyptic Western and that you are basically a man with no name. Also great is that the radio doesn't patronize or demonize you for every choice you make in New Vegas

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

True, that was a bad example, I just remember 3's wasteland feeling a lot more dangerous and unpredictable than NV's, and that being the reason 3 hooked me for multiple playthroughs while I played through NV maybe twice.

Bizarre because it's really the opposite. I mean the fact that FO3 is good for probably one playthrough when I went through NV four times (since my computer had to be reformatted or replaced between DLCs so I had to replay to get to them).

It's not just the setting, New Vegas is better in every other way as well.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SunAndSpring posted:

Please let there be no level scaling.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Groovelord Neato posted:

Bizarre because it's really the opposite. I mean the fact that FO3 is good for probably one playthrough when I went through NV four times (since my computer had to be reformatted or replaced between DLCs so I had to replay to get to them).

It's not just the setting, New Vegas is better in every other way as well.

thats true except for the DLC with like the neck explosive thing

that one was bad

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Well, more people own Fallout: New Vegas than Fallout 3 judging from sales and Steam data, so I think they should at least try and take some cues from it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Eonwe posted:

thats true except for the DLC with like the neck explosive thing

that one was bad

I did get unlimited money thanks to it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Dead Money was pretty bad. I mean, atmospheric-wise it was great, but the mechanics it introduced were just not-fun. At least it didn't kill my playthrough like goddamned Mothership Zeta. THAT turned into an interminable slog.

• Locked thread