Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
That final scene where he pets the dog looks like Interplay rose from the dead to make more FMV cutscenes IMHO.

Gonna play the poo poo out of this game though, can't wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remb
Feb 2, 2014

Every successive Bethesda title makes the main story less and less open. Their games are all about freeform exploring, yet their focus on a single railroaded narrative contradicts what makes their games unique.
Morrowind gave you some papers and let you out the door. This one doesn't even let you play your own character (from what I've seen at least).

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

There will be level scaling. Every dungeon will be full of weak ghouls that die in one hit and an overpowered super mutant as a boss that kills you in one hit and takes no damage.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

Well, more people own Fallout: New Vegas than Fallout 3 judging from sales and Steam data, so I think they should at least try and take some cues from it.
Unlike F:NV, FO3 wasn't exclusively released via Steam on the PC.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Fereydun posted:

so whats up w the pre-war scene stuff using ingame assets

are you gonna be an eternal highlander who survived a nuclear apocalypse just to go out into the wasteland to hunt other highlanders for the secret of true immortality

The two common theroies so far are; that Vault 111 was an experiment in Cyrostasis or whatever the gently caress and in typical Vault-Tec fashion it hosed up and killed everyone but you, OR that you are actually an Android with human memories because there are Androids everywhere in the Commonwealth apparently. I think there was a quest about that in Fallout 3

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

SunAndSpring posted:

Well, more people own Fallout: New Vegas than Fallout 3 judging from sales and Steam data, so I think they should at least try and take some cues from it.

Fallout 3 wasn't initially a Steam title. A lot of people bought it retail and via GFWL.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Mordaedil posted:

I want to get excited, I was pretty excited, up until I slowly started to realize that adding voice-acting to the main character is not only going to put some severe restraints on modding, it will absolutely kill the level of roleplaying possible in a narrative.

At least for a game of this type, that seems to be a real killer.

Also what the gently caress happened to the dog. Did they forget to turn on the effects? He looks flatter than the COD dog.

People said the same thing back in Oblivion when voice acting was introduced.

I'm betting one of the first mods will be about removing said voices.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Bizarre because it's really the opposite. I mean the fact that FO3 is good for probably one playthrough when I went through NV four times (since my computer had to be reformatted or replaced between DLCs so I had to replay to get to them).

It's not just the setting, New Vegas is better in every other way as well.

Not sure why people consider the New Vegas maps better.

It had literal invisible walls and though enemies to put you in a selected route, a route you have to follow once and never again, if you return you'll feel extremely out of place.

For example, was there ever any reason to return to Goodsprings?

Not to mention the overall dungeon design and the severe lack of ruins to scavenge.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

mackintosh posted:

Fallout 3 wasn't initially a Steam title. A lot of people bought it retail and via GFWL.

please put a trigger warning for GFWL going forward

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Orange Crush Rush posted:

The two common theroies so far are; that Vault 111 was an experiment in Cyrostasis or whatever the gently caress and in typical Vault-Tec fashion it hosed up and killed everyone but you, OR that you are actually an Android with human memories because there are Androids everywhere in the Commonwealth apparently. I think there was a quest about that in Fallout 3

It's gonna be both, you think you were in cryostasis with a family but you're really a god drat robot.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Remb posted:

Every successive Bethesda title makes the main story less and less open. Their games are all about freeform exploring, yet their focus on a single railroaded narrative contradicts what makes their games unique.
Morrowind gave you some papers and let you out the door. This one doesn't even let you play your own character (from what I've seen at least).

Probably because this is not an Elder Scrolls game.

All Fallout games, save New Vegas gave you a set backstory.

Actually nevermind, even New Vegas gave you a backstory, but it forgot to tell you until you played the DLCs.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Bholder posted:

Not sure why people consider the New Vegas maps better.

It had literal invisible walls and though enemies to put you in a selected route, a route you have to follow once and never again, if you return you'll feel extremely out of place.

For example, was there ever any reason to return to Goodsprings?

Not to mention the overall dungeon design and the severe lack of ruins to scavenge.

fallout 3 had invisible walls loving everywhere too, especially around Rivet City. Also theres like 7 quests that take place in or around Goodsprings, although you can do them pretty early in the game I suppose

Moltke
May 13, 2009
Although I got more replay out of NV, I enjoyed the grittier, darker setting in FO3 more. It made exploration more fun for me.

FO3 was groundbreaking for its time and NV expanded on what FO3 brought to the table. I liked them both and hope that FO4 continues to improve the franchise.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Bholder posted:

Probably because this is not an Elder Scrolls game.

All Fallout games, save New Vegas gave you a set backstory.

New Vegas gives you a backstory through dialogue choices instead.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

mackintosh posted:

i bought fo3 when it came out on steam. still used gfwl tho.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

Bizarre because it's really the opposite. I mean the fact that FO3 is good for probably one playthrough when I went through NV four times (since my computer had to be reformatted or replaced between DLCs so I had to replay to get to them).

It's not just the setting, New Vegas is better in every other way as well.
It's possible I just have rose tinted glasses for 3. Me and my flatmate both got really into it and played through together, getting drunk and popping raider skulls with a railway rifle. He loves the poo poo out of NV, too, though, so maybe I just have a thing for wandering around derelict wastelands only incidentally progressing the plot. It would certainly explain my hundreds of hours logged in the STALKER games.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Sharkopath posted:

It's gonna be both, you think you were in cryostasis with a family but you're really a god drat robot.

Thanks for giving away the plot! :psylon:

I can't help but get a sort of post-apoc steampunk fusion angle from the trailer. Which is interesting, but it can really go sideways if the writing isn't solid.

So yeah, sideways.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

I will preorder this game and then incessantly defend it prior to release from any and all minor criticisms. Once it launches I will shift to telling people that if they don't like it why are they posting about it?

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Orange Crush Rush posted:

fallout 3 had invisible walls loving everywhere too, especially around Rivet City. Also theres like 7 quests that take place in or around Goodsprings, although you can do them pretty early in the game I suppose

The only "invisible walls" were inside the DC ruins because all of those parts were actually their own maps divided by loading screens.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Bholder posted:

Not to mention the overall dungeon design

I mean your posts are wrong and terrible in LoL and the dota threads why stop now.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Bholder posted:

The only "invisible walls" were inside the DC ruins because all of those parts were actually their own maps divided by loading screens.

No really, there really are lots of invisible walls in the Capital Wasteland, especially close by Rivet City. I remember this because there is a skillbook by a collapsed tower and it's a bitch to get there because there's so many invisible walls

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Well I hope it'll be good, Fallout 3 was a fun if flawed game, but I'm a sucker for the setting which goes a long way towards forgiving the flaws. I'd like to think they will have at least taken some of what New Vegas did better onboard for this one, and that they'll find a way to incorporate the open-world aspects with the main storyline so that I don't end up like I did in Skyrim - feeling completely detached from the (huge and pretty) world I was in and lacking any desire to continue playing.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
I just started a rumor that Seth MacFarlane will be doing multiple voices in the game. Interesting if true.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

This game is gonna suck but I'm still gonna buy it, all the DLC, and then spend 300+ hours on it because I am a pathetic and depraved human being.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

megalodong posted:

I will preorder this game and then incessantly defend it prior to release from any and all minor criticisms. Once it launches I will shift to telling people that if they don't like it why are they posting about it?

literally this

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Guys, is this a good game?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ShadowMar posted:

This game is gonna suck but I'm still gonna buy it, all the DLC, and then spend 300+ hours on it because I am a pathetic and depraved human being.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

yes gently caress you for questioning this this is the fallout thread if you dont like it go somewhere else

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

ShadowMar posted:

same

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

It's the best.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

No for real why do people preorder games you can download all your games now.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

ShadowMar posted:

same except with 1000+ hours

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Groovelord Neato posted:

No for real why do people preorder games you can download all your games now.

Because they must have the super duper laser guided vibrator vault toy pre-order bonus.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

I know that some level of normality should have resumed ~200 years after the bombs, but that doesn't mean it makes for a better game.

Don't mean to pile on you, but this is pretty much exactly what the new trailer is showing with it's colorful little townships and wired up towns?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Icept posted:

Don't mean to pile on you, but this is pretty much exactly what the new trailer is showing with it's colorful little townships and wired up towns?
What he says isn't contradicting you, he just says "it doesn't make for a better game"

and that's a bad opinion and he should be flogged and sent to the Metro

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

mackintosh posted:

Because they must have the super duper laser guided vibrator vault toy pre-order bonus.

that sounds hot and im glad of it

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
It does, as he was praising Fallout 3 over NV precisely because it was less settled.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Like I hadn't bought a console game in years until I bought Bloodborne and the guy's all did you preorder and I go nah and he goes we're all sold out but oh you can just buy a download code.

Commissar Of Doom
Apr 21, 2009
Rope Kid make a new fallout game plz

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Groovelord Neato posted:

Like I hadn't bought a console game in years until I bought Bloodborne and the guy's all did you preorder and I go nah and he goes we're all sold out but oh you can just buy a download code.

man im glad i dont have to go into a store anymore to buy a game and deal with those shitlords

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Commissar Of Doom posted:

Rope Kid make a new fallout game plz

but if there are base building mechanics dont make them entirely pointless and tacked on like pillars of eternity

• Locked thread