Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

sarehu posted:

Tips like that probably don't work so well for people whose elbows don't go fully straight like mine.
It also doesn't prevent you from overdoing it and standing too close to the ball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmac
Jun 12, 2007

quote:

let your right hand go with your arm limp to swing out to your side

I can't wrap my mind around that visual or feel. But whatever works for you is the way to go.

Another way to think about it: I prefer to focus on my posture when trying to correct ball positioning. Let your arms hang loose in your normal setup. If there's less than a hand-width between the butt of the club and your crotch, you'll tend to take the club back outside your intended line. If there's more than a hand-width of space you'll tend to take the club back inside your intended line. Getting to the right spot should be adjusted with your posture not by stretching out your arms and shoulders. Get in front of a mirror and check that your posture looks on point while your arms are hanging without tension. More often than not, I see golfers with too much knee flex that don't have enough bend at the hips. That tends to make people feel like they're too close, but adjusting your feet positioning is more of a treatment than a cure.

If you're a visual learner look at how the men/women on tour set up from multiple angles. (LPGA Tour swings are pure.) Video your swing from those same angles and try to emulate the positions.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Man, I've got the golf bug bad today. A couple good deals in GolfNow, but we've been pummeled by rain in Atlanta this week. More than 1" yesterday and over 1.5" on Monday/Tuesday. :sigh:

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
You're telling me. I need a wetsuit to play in Houston.

Edit - Also, for you US-Open-Torture types, you should be watching the Irish Open. Cut is +4, may be higher by the end of the day.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kameh posted:

You're telling me. I need a wetsuit to play in Houston.

Edit - Also, for you US-Open-Torture types, you should be watching the Irish Open. Cut is +4, may be higher by the end of the day.
Watching the Irish Open makes me think the courses MIGHT be okay despite the rain, even though I know it's a fool's errand to try to play today.

pmac
Jun 12, 2007
Links courses tend to handle moisture more effectively than parkland. I know your pain though. Summer rain in South Florida is crazy. I grew up playing year round in Seattle and summer turf conditions in FL are like winter conditions in Seattle, except it's 95, humidity is at 100% and the lightning horn probably just sounded.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Just had a friend that was in Ireland last week and he posted a pic of him playing a links course (his first time in Ireland - don't know which course) and dear God the green looked like a bombing testing ground.

edit: I should add that his pic was complete and utter joy.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 29, 2015

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Witnessed two, yes two hole in ones this past weekend, on two different courses and two different people. One was a 148y par 3 slightly down hill where the guy who sucked otherwise hit a 6 iron that bounced off a hill at the back of the green and trickled down right into the hole almost in slow motion. The second was a 194y par 3 where the guy hit a 4 iron and it dove right into the hole and took out a 3 inch section of the side of the cup. We actually though it came up short and stuck into the side of the hill because the sun was so blindingly bright, then I noticed the hole looked torn up and went to investigate/fix it and there was the ball.

Sadly neither were me, but I did destroy both of these guys in total score. First guy shot a 114 and I carded an 86, never played the course before. It played 6700 yards and featured a 640 yard Par5 18th, that I tried to reach in 2... Didn't work out well, ended up in a creek I didn't know was there and ended up with a triple, but I figured my drive was insanely long because it kept rolling and I had maybe 300 in so I smashed my 3 wood. Needed about 10 more yards of carry to make it over and still be slightly short though.

Second round was a course I play often and I shot a 83 and the hole-in-one fucker shot 98. In both cases their hole in one instantly made them better golfers than me even though their scores don't reflect it. It was hilarious.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

thebushcommander posted:

148y par 3 downhill 6 iron

Sounds like this guy should be playing up a few tee boxes if he's hitting a 6 iron from what should be a wedge range, no wonder he shot a 114. He must be hitting driver then 3 wood on all the par 4s.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

mattfl posted:

Sounds like this guy should be playing up a few tee boxes if he's hitting a 6 iron from what should be a wedge range, no wonder he shot a 114. He must be hitting driver then 3 wood on all the par 4s.

He was playing from the white tees. For reference I was playing from the tips which was about 180 according to the score card and I hit a 8 iron about pin high. Hole probably played 20 yards shorter because the tee box was elevated. His 6i was past the hole a good 10 yard and smacked a hill and then rolled down off onto the green where it just caught a slope to move it more toward the hole. If the hole had been relatively flat tee to green he would have been way past, but we're talking about a dude who probably won't ever break 100. His longest drive of the day was maybe 220 yard which is a normal 3 iron for me.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

thebushcommander posted:

He was playing from the white tees. For reference I was playing from the tips which was about 180 according to the score card and I hit a 8 iron about pin high. Hole probably played 20 yards shorter because the tee box was elevated. His 6i was past the hole a good 10 yard and smacked a hill and then rolled down off onto the green where it just caught a slope to move it more toward the hole. If the hole had been relatively flat tee to green he would have been way past, but we're talking about a dude who probably won't ever break 100.

Ahh ok, I gotcha.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
I had the most fun with a bad player a couple of weeks back. This guy was a 36 handicapper and we were playing the usual Stableford round. You get a certain amount of shots on each hole to score points - hit it too many times and you simply pick the ball up. He wiped the first 2 holes by just mindlessly spraying the ball around and laughed it off - mildly annoyed but he didn't care.

On the 2nd hole he had given up any chance of scoring points after we'd spent 5 minutes looking for his ball in long grass. I found this TaylorMade Tour Preferred with personalised writing that read F&#K YOU! in capital letters. I had a chuckle to myself and then turned to him and gave him the ball saying "Here I found something for you". He had a good laugh and promised to use it.

He then asked me for a couple of tips. The only one I gave him was to STOP TRYING TO MURDER THE FKING BALL YOU IDIOT.

Well...the next 3 holes he managed to Par which for him was a first. There were high fives and fist bumps all around and apparently this ball was the greatest thing to ever happen to him (not the slower swing speed haha).

Oh yeah I had one of my worst 9 holes of the year followed by my best ever on Sunday. Sometimes golf makes no sense.

Halo14 fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jun 2, 2015

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Halo14 posted:

I had the most fun with a bad player a couple of weeks back. This guy was a 36 handicapper and we were playing the usual Stableford round. You get a certain amount of shots on each hole to score points - hit it too many times and you simply pick the ball up. He wiped the first 2 holes by just mindlessly spraying the ball around and laughed it off - mildly annoyed but he didn't care.

On the 2nd hole he had given up any chance of scoring points after we'd spent 5 minutes looking for his ball in long grass. I found this TaylorMade Tour Preferred with personalised writing that read F&#K YOU! in capital letters. I had a chuckle to myself and then turned to him and gave him the ball saying "Here I found something for you". He had a good laugh and promised to use it.

He then asked me for a couple of tips. The only one I gave him was to STOP TRYING TO MURDER THE FKING BALL YOU IDIOT.

Well...the next 3 holes he managed to Par which for him was a first. There were high fives and fist bumps all around and apparently this ball was the greatest thing to ever happen to him (not the slower swing speed haha).

Oh yeah I had one of my worst 9 holes of the year followed by my best ever on Sunday. Sometimes golf makes no sense.

Personalized balls are fun IF the place making them lets you use profanity. A couple years back I won some personalized E6's from some website and they wouldn't let me put anything good on it. Even if it was implied like the F&#K they would have said no. Ended up just putting, "If you found this your game needs work" hoping it would be a slight dig at someone if they found it in the woods even though I would have been the one to hit there anyway. One time I lost one trying to drive the green at a links course and it disappeared into some long weeds between fairways. When I made the turn and was getting some beers this old guy comes in with his buddies and was talking about how the ball he found was correct and it was even worse that he lost it on the very next hole. :D

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Club list chat:

I missed out on getting a Nike Method 006 Prototype last month, the same exact putter that Rory McIlroy uses. It was a $450 limited release and sold out within like 5 minutes, assuming you could even access the site. While I'm not wedded to Rory or Nike, I do love the shape, based on the Scotty Cameron 009, a tour-only model.

The Mil-Spec Newport from like 13 years ago is the retail model with the closest head shape, and I'm currently negotiating for a 9/10 condition one for $200 shipped. There's no guarantee I'll even putt well with it, but I kinda really want it. :negative:

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
Scotty Camerons suck. Bettinardi/Rife for life.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

thebushcommander posted:

Personalized balls are fun IF the place making them lets you use profanity. A couple years back I won some personalized E6's from some website and they wouldn't let me put anything good on it. Even if it was implied like the F&#K they would have said no. Ended up just putting, "If you found this your game needs work" hoping it would be a slight dig at someone if they found it in the woods even though I would have been the one to hit there anyway. One time I lost one trying to drive the green at a links course and it disappeared into some long weeds between fairways. When I made the turn and was getting some beers this old guy comes in with his buddies and was talking about how the ball he found was correct and it was even worse that he lost it on the very next hole. :D

Haha they must employ someone who screens all the requests. Great job that would be.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

Club list chat:

I missed out on getting a Nike Method 006 Prototype last month, the same exact putter that Rory McIlroy uses. It was a $450 limited release and sold out within like 5 minutes, assuming you could even access the site. While I'm not wedded to Rory or Nike, I do love the shape, based on the Scotty Cameron 009, a tour-only model.

The Mil-Spec Newport from like 13 years ago is the retail model with the closest head shape, and I'm currently negotiating for a 9/10 condition one for $200 shipped. There's no guarantee I'll even putt well with it, but I kinda really want it. :negative:
After closer inspection, I decided the Mil-Spec was too different from the Nike 006/Cameron 009 so I ended up buying the OG Ping Dalehead. At least if I don't have any success with it, I should be able to recover most/all of my cost:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jun 3, 2015

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Looks great. Bit of nostalgia for me there - I used to play with a very similar brass Ping Anser.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Omerta posted:

Scotty Camerons suck. Bettinardi/Rife for life.

Older Camerons were solid, the new stuff is pretty *meh* for me though.

Also, paging Zinc again, we should get a round in soon. I think I'm going to play Saturday morning if you are interested(you don't have pms).

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DoctaFun posted:

Older Camerons were solid, the new stuff is pretty *meh* for me though.
Yeah, I think this is a good compromise. On balance, everything before the Studio Select in 2008 was good, though I didn't like the Studio Style from 2005-07.

The specific things I like about the 009 are the parallel shoulder/rounded bumper combination. Nike did just release a retail version of the Rory 006 Proto last month, but I think it looks like poo poo and there will be plenty on the used shelves in about 6 months:

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
The thing is, I think Scotty Cameron is a ridiculously skilled putter-maker/metal-worker/designer. But I think in the mid-late 00s he realized the gold mine he was sitting on.

His putters became 'collectable' mainly because of the tour presence he had and the lack of availability of those putters. Then he created an off the rack business that sold some putters with a tour inspired design. Finally, he realized that the fan-base was big enough(and rich enough) to support just about any level of customization and accessorization he was willing to spend his time on.

Think of all the work involved with designing, engineering, and distributing a new line of putters every couple years? It really is a gigantic effort. Every putter sells for $300-$400 and he makes $x of profit on each one.

Now think of the much less effort involved with designing a headcover. Sketch a design, do a few prototypes, send it to A&E and have them make it. Release new ones every month to the Cameron collector crazies at ridiculous margin. When a new headcover is released there's normally a very small percentage that are rarities(example: every year he releases a headcover with hula girls on it, like 10 of them out of 1000 will have one hula girl out of 20 not wearing a top but covering herself with her hands or something http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Scotty-...=item35eaf4f201). These 'topless' hulas would sell on the collectors market for crazy amounts.

So everyone in the collector's club pays a yearly fee to be able to order these 'special release' headcovers when they are released(if you are fast enough). There is a feeling of excitement as this might be the time you get a special one and can cash out for a big payday.

Don't get me wrong, the guy is a genius and ridiculously skilled at what he does, but I think it's been like 8 years since he was just a putter maker. The guy just cashes in on headcovers, pivot tools and garage/custom putters now. He creates 'garage' putters in his home shop that will sell upwards of $20,000, and are very popular on the japanese market.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

I've really started to hate my current putter. I don't know what has happened to what was once the strongest part of my game, but I'm finding myself spending half my strokes on the green. I've been trying out putters at Golfsmith, and the one that feels fantastic is the Ping Karsten Anser 2. While I could just drop the $150 at Golfsmith, I'd rather just go on EBay. My only concern is, is there something specifically I should be looking for when getting this club? Would the model year be a significant difference in the club? Because the Ping Karsten 1959 Anser 2 Putter Right 35" Black Dot looks really sleek. Sorry if this is a dumb question. I am pretty golf retarded.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sataere posted:

I've really started to hate my current putter. I don't know what has happened to what was once the strongest part of my game, but I'm finding myself spending half my strokes on the green. I've been trying out putters at Golfsmith, and the one that feels fantastic is the Ping Karsten Anser 2. While I could just drop the $150 at Golfsmith, I'd rather just go on EBay. My only concern is, is there something specifically I should be looking for when getting this club? Would the model year be a significant difference in the club? Because the Ping Karsten 1959 Anser 2 Putter Right 35" Black Dot looks really sleek. Sorry if this is a dumb question. I am pretty golf retarded.
The Karsten Anser 2 (left) looks slightly different than the Karsten 1959 Anser 2 (right), specifically in the shoulders, but otherwise they'll be extremely similar.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
it seems the most in stock versions of the Karsten Anser 2 is the bronzey one:

PING Golf Karsten TR Anser 2 - 2014

The other Anser 2's are the Cadence TR........I got the heavy version a few months ago and like it and the 2013 Scottsdale TR and the Anser Anser 2 milled (what Bubba uses).

Morton Golf has some relationship with Ping where they still stock all the "old classics" if you wanted a really old but new Anser/Anser2 not sure if Golfsmith does as well.

https://www.mortongolfsales.com/PING-Putters-s/583.htm

you might want to go back and see if they have the Ping putter fitting kit with the different lies to test out (red dot/green/blue/black) etc. Sometimes a red dot -1 degree flat (like Bubba has) works better to promote a slight arc. Also if you order Ping will toss on a Superstroke grip for $20 as well.

Golfsmith has the milled Anser 2 for $150 as well:
http://www.golfsmith.com/product/30053259/ping-anser-milled-putter-black-dot

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jun 3, 2015

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

On a related note, does anyone have an extra putter headcover that will fit the Ping Anser? I'll pay for shipping, of course.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

This is a dumb game, or rather, it's a good game that makes me want to do dumb poo poo.

I've been playing really well this year. Somehow I started this spring off playing better than I was last fall despite minimal practice over the winter. I've gone like four or five rounds without an OB or putting a ball in a hazard, I've been hitting par 5s in two often, haven't hit any terrible duffed or bladed shots, etc. But now I'm unhappy that I can only hit draws and straight shots with my irons so I've been trying to hit ridiculous over-the-top cut swings with my irons out into my field/makeshift driving range. It's probably more likely that I'll just ruin my normal swing but I can't help myself. And all last year when I was hitting fades, I wanted to be able to hit draws. It's maddening.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
I know what you mean. Somehow I can hit a specific shape shot on purpose only when it's to avoid an obstacle or get out of trouble. On the tee or in the middle of the fairway I have less success.

I wouldn't mind to be in your position though - straight or draw would be ideal for me. I'm always hitting these pissweak fades/pushes or getting stuck and leaving the club face slightly open.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
Anyone ever use GolfTEC? My dad bought me a swing evaluation there which I'm going to tomorrow. Not gonna lie I'm a little worried it's going to be too much analysis and mental tweaks that will make the game less enjoyable. I can keep a few things in my head at once but beyond that it just makes me hit like poo poo.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Summit posted:

Anyone ever use GolfTEC? My dad bought me a swing evaluation there which I'm going to tomorrow. Not gonna lie I'm a little worried it's going to be too much analysis and mental tweaks that will make the game less enjoyable. I can keep a few things in my head at once but beyond that it just makes me hit like poo poo.

I used it for like 2 lessons. It is a lot of analysis, hand positioning, body positioning, etc. You strap into this weird harness, you'll hit a few balls, they video you, go over the video and make adjustments rinse and repeat. It fixed a few things for me like hand and club position but other than that, I wasn't getting much out of it. I hate hate hate hitting off mats and I'd much rather be out on a range with a pro hitting real shots and actually seeing where the ball is going. Sure the trackman or whatever system they have setup shows the flight of the ball but it's just not the same. Give it a shot if it's free, but it's not something I'd ever pay for again. You'll get more outta a few lessons with a real pro than with the trained golftec "pros".

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I had some sort of out of body experience yesterday. It was really rainy up here in St. Paul most of the day so it looked like I wasn't going to be able to play, but when I left work, the radar looked like it was going to clear up. I got to my course and like I predicted it was absolutely deserted.

I went straight to the first tee to make sure I didn't get stuck behind anyone with the same idea as me. I preceded to hit my first ball OB. Then I hit my second one which would have been OB except it hit a tree and kicked out a bit. Made double on the first(and easiest) hole on the course.

What happened after that was something I've never experienced before. I hit 16 of the remaining 17 greens in regulation, the only one I missed was after hitting my drive behind a clump of trees and having no choice but to pitch back to the fairway. I was just automatic.

It was incredible, I made a bit of an adjustment at the range last weekend(I must have hit about 200 balls with just my 7 iron), and it appears to have stuck.

Naturally I two putted every green except one so I ended up shooting two over(even par after the first hole).

It was the most fun I've ever had on the course, I've never in my entire life hit so many solid iron shots. I almost had a hole in one on the 14th hole, 192 yards to a back pin. I hit a 7 because long is dead there and it hit about 6 inches from the hole.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Never taken a video of my swing before. I would love feedback. Forgive the bad camera phone.

https://youtu.be/cpHfzid0ffk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpHfzid0ffk

daslog fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jun 4, 2015

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

So I posted in here last week about putters, I tested a bunch and think I've eventually settled on a Ping Ketsch. I tend to do better with mallet or mid-mallet putters and I've found a used one with the right shaft length for a reasonable price. I liked the Odyssey White Hot line, and the Nike Method mallets I tried were good but were either too quiet or didn't have the right feel for me when striking the ball. I strongly considered the new Ping Cadence Rustler but the look of it was a turnoff and it felt just a touch too light in my hands. There was another Ping Cadence mid-mallet I tried but it just felt weird. Not too heavy, but a little unbalanced. I'm currently shooting high 80s and a lot of the extra strokes recently are coming on the green so we'll see if upgrading my old and bad putter shaves off a few strokes.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Ping makes a Cadence Ketsch heavy 388g as well if you like that head over the Rustler. It also has the choice of 3 head balances which translates to their (straight, slight, strong) labeling.

http://www.ping.com/clubs/puttersdetail.aspx?id=18298

You could also go gonzo with the counterbalancing and put on a Superstroke Flatso 2.0 XL and add the 50g screw in grip weight to it. I did that on a Ping Craz-E and it ends up being the putter I use when I am hungover or on really fast greens.

https://www.superstrokeusa.com/index.php/products/putter-grips/series-flatso-2-0-xl/#.VXBj1EY3KtM

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jun 4, 2015

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

Keyser S0ze posted:

Ping makes a Cadence Ketsch heavy 388g as well if you like that head over the Rustler. It also has the choice of 3 head balances which translates to their (straight, slight, strong) labeling.

http://www.ping.com/clubs/puttersdetail.aspx?id=18298

You could also go gonzo with the counterbalancing and put on a Superstroke Flatso 2.0 XL and add the 50g screw in grip weight to it. I did that on a Ping Craz-E and it ends up being the putter I use when I am hungover or on really fast greens.

https://www.superstrokeusa.com/index.php/products/putter-grips/series-flatso-2-0-xl/#.VXBj1EY3KtM

I did try the heavy and the traditional rustler, the heavy was definitely too much weight for my stroke. It's too bad because I like the look of the heavy ones better (grey/black inserts instead of the metallic blue). I also have a straight stroke and the Ketsch I found has the right shaft bend. The (non-heavy) Ketsch is 5g heavier than the traditional rustler, so for me personally it's not a big enough difference for it to matter. I'll probably pick up the Kestch before I play this weekend and see how it performs when I actually get out there.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
That's the thing with the heavy head with the heavy grip combo - it evens it all out so you don't feel the head as much so even an alcoholic yipper can make a somewhat straight stroke.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Halo14 posted:

I know what you mean. Somehow I can hit a specific shape shot on purpose only when it's to avoid an obstacle or get out of trouble. On the tee or in the middle of the fairway I have less success.

I wouldn't mind to be in your position though - straight or draw would be ideal for me. I'm always hitting these pissweak fades/pushes or getting stuck and leaving the club face slightly open.

Yeah I think I'd be thrilled hitting draws all day if I had a membership to any other course in the area except for the one I'm actually a member at... There is one single hole where a draw is obviously preferable to a fade, while there are like 7 where a fade is ideal and the rest are fine for either shape. It's basically set up to be very friendly for your average hacker hitting 200 yards off the tee and fades/slices with every club.

I shot a 10-over 80 this morning playing from the back tees which I'm very happy with. I had a couple birdies including the 210 yard 9th hole with a hybrid that landed 10 feet short of the pin and stopped after one bounce, two feet short of the hole. I also bogeyed a few holes that are among the easiest on the course when playing from the white tees but are a ton more frightening playing 40-50 yards farther back.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
I'm playing the prairie club and Ballyneal next month. Anyone been to either? I've heard good things but don't know anyone who made the trip.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Can anyone recommend some good youtube videos for learning to hit fairway woods and hybrids? For a guy who totally sucks.

Background: I was never good at golf, a typical guy who shot like 120 and sucked. A month ago I played again for the first time in 2 years, shot a 108 (best score ever), and yesterday shot a 104. I am taking a 5 lesson series called Get Golf Ready. The first week was putting (the one thing I am not terrible at).

I am OK with irons 8 and up (including wedges) and OK most of the time with the 7 and 6. I played yesterday pretty much hitting only my 7 iron and longer. I got paired with a 78 year old yesterday and just hit off the short tees with him. I shot a 104 but the aerated greens cost me at least 3 putts.

I really do believe I can break 100 (from the real tees) before the summer is out, and when I do this will be me at the 19th hole

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Ribsauce posted:

Can anyone recommend some good youtube videos for learning to hit fairway woods and hybrids? For a guy who totally sucks.

Background: I was never good at golf, a typical guy who shot like 120 and sucked. A month ago I played again for the first time in 2 years, shot a 108 (best score ever), and yesterday shot a 104. I am taking a 5 lesson series called Get Golf Ready. The first week was putting (the one thing I am not terrible at).

I am OK with irons 8 and up (including wedges) and OK most of the time with the 7 and 6. I played yesterday pretty much hitting only my 7 iron and longer. I got paired with a 78 year old yesterday and just hit off the short tees with him. I shot a 104 but the aerated greens cost me at least 3 putts.

I really do believe I can break 100 (from the real tees) before the summer is out, and when I do this will be me at the 19th hole

As a guy who also totally sucks, the only advice I'd heard was that you hit a hybrid EXACTLY how you hit an iron. That's it. It's just an iron with a little more beef on it.

I broke 100 once in my life, last year at a course I'd never even played. I was your posted picture, except it was scotch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

So I ended up playing a quick 9 after work yesterday and took my new Ping Ketsch out, I only had one 3-putt on a course that has some tough greens so I'd say there is a difference. I'll have to play a few more times to determine whether or not I was just playing well on the greens yesterday, but I do feel my distance control is noticeably better, especially on longer lag putts. Very pleased so far though, probably should have replaced my putter years ago.