Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I am in search of a good headlamp. I want something simple, just off/bright/dim, don't want or need red or blinking lights. I really want something that has a firm enough switch that it will not turn on in my bag. Also needs to be less then $50 cuz I need to buy like 4 of them.

I found a Fenix Light one that I loved but now, 2 years after buying 5 of them, they are all starting to fail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

bunnielab posted:

headlamp request

Princeton Tec Byte
Petzl Tikka 2 Plus

Both have high/low/red, but the controls on the Petzl are better in my opinion. Short click to turn on high, short click to switch to low, short click to turn off, long click at any time to switch to red. Short click to turn red off, long click at any time to switch back to white light. The Princeton Tec just cycles through high/low/red/off.
Surprisingly even with three batteries vs two they feel about the same weight.
The beam is much more consistent and brighter on the Petzl.
The headband is thicker on the Petzl.

edit: ooof, I just realized you said NO red. I've no idea then. Red is awesome.

Comatoast fucked around with this message at 03:52 on May 31, 2015

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

bunnielab posted:

I am in search of a good headlamp. I want something simple, just off/bright/dim, don't want or need red or blinking lights. I really want something that has a firm enough switch that it will not turn on in my bag. Also needs to be less then $50 cuz I need to buy like 4 of them.

I found a Fenix Light one that I loved but now, 2 years after buying 5 of them, they are all starting to fail.

The Black Diamond spot is like staring into the surface of the sun. While hiking with a buddy who had one, I thought my petzl headlamp was running low on batteries, but nope, after popping in some fresh batteries I realized that it just really sucks in comparison. After picking one up for myself, I can definitely say that it's the best headlamp I've ever owned:

http://m.rei.com/product/858704/black-diamond-spot-headlamp

Upside/downside is with all the different modes, you've gotta study the manual to get the hang of it. But it also has a lock mode, which prevents it from getting turned on accidentally in your pack and draining the battery, and that feature is just tits.

Edit: oh, and you can adjust the dimness all the way from faint, medium, to the bat signal

king of the bongo posted:

Are the merrel moabs any good?

I've got the Moab mid ventilators, and while they're comfy and a good general shoe, they don't do so hot ventilating. Too much padding, especially around the tongue. They just soak up water and keep your feet toasty, even in the middle of winter. I've even worn mine on my motorcycle and still barely felt the ventilation. BUT they do come in wide sizes, and are a good fit. A few weeks ago I picked up some New Balance trail runners for my everyday shoe, and I'm really loving them. They're super comfortable, plus they come in wide sizes. I haven't done much in the way of hiking terrain with them, but they seem like they'd be really grippy. I don't know how well they'd dry out though... they didn't do so hot today with my cotton socks (though proper wool/art. fiber wicking socks would probably fix that)

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 05:08 on May 31, 2015

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

OSU_Matthew posted:

The Black Diamond spot is like staring into the surface of the sun. While hiking with a buddy who had one, I thought my petzl headlamp was running low on batteries, but nope, after popping in some fresh batteries I realized that it just really sucks in comparison. After picking one up for myself, I can definitely say that it's the best headlamp I've ever owned:

I've had fine luck with mine (except my first one blew up literally the first night I used it). That being said it has a hilariously stupid turn off / off / red mode / etc. The light doesn't turn on fully bright - it's just silly how complicated the thing is.

blista compact
Mar 12, 2006
whats a fyad :(

Finding non waterproof, low cut day hiking and trail shoes is proving to be pretty annoying. They all run really narrow for some reason. Are the merrel moabs any good? The people at the store said they don't offer much support and didn't have much positive to say about it. The hoka one one challenger atr feels amazing but they feel like they will fall apart pretty fast if you use them for anything other than pure running. I was just going to try the new balance mt1210 leadvilles tomorrow since they seem decent on paper and have wide options. Anything else I am missing? Oboz felt good but rubs against my ankles. Vasque felt odd on my foot with the fit in the store.

I had a pair of salomon xa pro 3d that the upper mesh ripped across the top of my foot and the soles edges fell apart so I am hesitant to buy them again but might cause they are pretty much what I want in a shoe even though the wides fit a bit tight for the first few weeks.

Try some Altras. Olympus or Lone Peaks.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

blista compact posted:

Try some Altras. Olympus or Lone Peaks.

I love my Lone Peaks (1.5). I'm on pair number six now I think and I still have a new pair stashed away.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

OSU_Matthew posted:

http://m.rei.com/product/858704/black-diamond-spot-headlamp

Upside/downside is with all the different modes, you've gotta study the manual to get the hang of it. But it also has a lock mode, which prevents it from getting turned on accidentally in your pack and draining the battery, and that feature is just tits.

Edit: oh, and you can adjust the dimness all the way from faint, medium, to the bat signal

This is one of the other's I have bought and...

n8r posted:

I've had fine luck with mine (except my first one blew up literally the first night I used it). That being said it has a hilariously stupid turn off / off / red mode / etc. The light doesn't turn on fully bright - it's just silly how complicated the thing is.

Yep, thus my desire for a simple rear end light on my head. The touch interface is especially dumb, I totally want the light to change when I am just trying to adjust the tilt a bit.

That being said, I didn't realize there was a lock function, that would eliminate a huge complaint.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

n8r posted:

The light doesn't turn on fully bright - it's just silly how complicated the thing is.

Why do you need it to start at full brightness of you're getting up to pee. Just wasting battery to do it that way.

I'm always turning my lights on and then dimming them down a bunch so it makes me happy that mammut and BD are having them start at low or mid.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I'm a huge fan of the Princeton tech remix light. Had it for years, really bright, easy to use and lasts forever on the same batteries.

They make different versions with second light color variations like white green or red.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Finding non waterproof, low cut day hiking and trail shoes is proving to be pretty annoying. They all run really narrow for some reason. Are the merrel moabs any good? The people at the store said they don't offer much support and didn't have much positive to say about it. The hoka one one challenger atr feels amazing but they feel like they will fall apart pretty fast if you use them for anything other than pure running. I was just going to try the new balance mt1210 leadvilles tomorrow since they seem decent on paper and have wide options. Anything else I am missing? Oboz felt good but rubs against my ankles. Vasque felt odd on my foot with the fit in the store.

I had a pair of salomon xa pro 3d that the upper mesh ripped across the top of my foot and the soles edges fell apart so I am hesitant to buy them again but might cause they are pretty much what I want in a shoe even though the wides fit a bit tight for the first few weeks.
I have wide feet (I wear 13's but am really a 12 wide) and the Saucony Peregrines are my jam. Nice comfy toe box that doesn't cramp my style.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

So I was playing around with Microsoft's Hyperlapse Pro software, which is a free preview right now. One of the things that popped into my mind as a good candidate for high-speed smoothing was my descent into the Grand Canyon a couple of years ago. I wore a GoPro 3+ Silver on a chest mount rig. As you would expect, the video was a bit jerky, and when sped up to 8x, it was pretty jarring to the point of being pretty much unwatchable. So I ran it through Hyperlapse and while it isn't perfect, I was pretty impressed at the results. This is the descent from the south rim along south Kaibab descent at sunrise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1cyH3OCbgE

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot
If you want a good, simple headlight for not much money, Mamuut T-Trail. $35, bright enough, won't turn on in your pack, no extra features. A little bit difficult to turn on with gloves (you have to push the button twice with a certain timing).

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Hungryjack posted:

So I was playing around with Microsoft's Hyperlapse Pro software, which is a free preview right now. One of the things that popped into my mind as a good candidate for high-speed smoothing was my descent into the Grand Canyon a couple of years ago. I wore a GoPro 3+ Silver on a chest mount rig. As you would expect, the video was a bit jerky, and when sped up to 8x, it was pretty jarring to the point of being pretty much unwatchable. So I ran it through Hyperlapse and while it isn't perfect, I was pretty impressed at the results. This is the descent from the south rim along south Kaibab descent at sunrise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1cyH3OCbgE

That was cool! The video definitely gives you a better sense of the scale of the canyon that photos often will. I've always wanted to get a GoPro, this might make me finally start to look seriously at them.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Please do more of these, TIA :allears:

n8r posted:

It's ridiculous how over complicated that thing is. It's a great headlamp, but it seriously took me twenty minutes of poking around to figure out how the battery back is supposed to come off (it's not at all intuitive), and that's not counting the time spent studying the manual to figure out red/dim/lock modes. Once you get it, it's not bad, but it's seriously like trying to set the time on a digital watch--hold function for ten seconds, cycle the mode, hit reset to save the settings, same kinda nonsense.

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

OSU_Matthew posted:

It's ridiculous how over complicated that thing is. It's a great headlamp, but it seriously took me twenty minutes of poking around to figure out how the battery back is supposed to come off (it's not at all intuitive), and that's not counting the time spent studying the manual to figure out red/dim/lock modes. Once you get it, it's not bad, but it's seriously like trying to set the time on a digital watch--hold function for ten seconds, cycle the mode, hit reset to save the settings, same kinda nonsense.

Maybe I missed the part about opening the back in the manual... I just use one of the plastic buckle things on the head band to pry it open a little, and then get my fingernails in there and hope I don't break anything :D

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

OSU_Matthew posted:

Please do more of these, TIA :allears:

Here, have some switchbacks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmiuN_FugYA

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose
I traversed five mountains in Glacier Park yesterday, 8500 vertical feet, 14 miles.

Beginning of the day, Flinsch Mtn is center, Rising Wolf on the right.

A sea of mountains. I've climbed most of these, except for Mt St Nick, upper left, and Stimson, upper right.

Towards the end of the day, looking up Ole Creek valley.

My route. Henry and Ellsworth were out of the way, but I had never climbed them before so why not?

Atop Red Crow, looking at Grizzly Mtn, in November and yesterday.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

Costco has really loving good carbon trekking poles this year. $30, carbon, 1lb combined weight, and no more lovely twist-locks. I've used them a few times this season and outside of weight/packed size there's no advantage to my fancy $160 black diamond poles.

I went to two Costco's, but both of them said they haven't got poles this year. Are the ones on their website the good ones?

Those are 45 bucks and don't list the weight. Not sure of they're the one or two pound versions. Made by Yukon Jack, or something like that.

bad news bareback
Jan 16, 2009

Hello hiking thread. I'm trying to get back into backpacking/camping after about 20 years of being lazy and citified. I live in Los Angeles and have been hiking the Veteran's Park trail to get in hiking shape and camping out by the Kern river to get back in "outdoor mode". Does anybody local have any recommendations on some camping areas <6 hours from LA? The vast majority of my wilderness treks were done in Arizona so I don't know southern/central California as well. I'm looking for places that you can hike into, 4x4 access is fine, 3-7 day trips, and water access. Thanks!

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

6 hours from LA puts you in range of Sequoia/King's Canyon and Yosemite. Also Big Sur on the coast.

There are some trails running through the San Gabriel Mountains (Silver Moccasin Trail among others) that can keep you occupied for a few days. Just drive one hour up the 2.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Hackan Slash posted:

I went to two Costco's, but both of them said they haven't got poles this year. Are the ones on their website the good ones?

Those are 45 bucks and don't list the weight. Not sure of they're the one or two pound versions. Made by Yukon Jack, or something like that.

The $45 ones are pretty good, but not the super awesome ones people are looking for at Costco. The $45 poles weigh 2lb5oz. Pair which is about double what the awesome ones weigh.

Yukon Jack = not too shabby
Cascade = awesome

bad news bareback
Jan 16, 2009

khysanth posted:

6 hours from LA puts you in range of Sequoia/King's Canyon and Yosemite. Also Big Sur on the coast.

There are some trails running through the San Gabriel Mountains (Silver Moccasin Trail among others) that can keep you occupied for a few days. Just drive one hour up the 2.

Yeah I went up to the San Gabriels once and up to Angeles Crest a few times. I live off the 210 in the north valley so it's super close for me. Any places in Big Sur and Yosemite that you can point me towards? The info on the .gov sites are great but I don't really have any outdoorsey friends here that I can get some anecdotal advice from.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Smoove J posted:

I traversed five mountains in Glacier Park yesterday, 8500 vertical feet, 14 miles.

Beginning of the day, Flinsch Mtn is center, Rising Wolf on the right.

:magical:

I really wish I lived further out West... that is spectacular!

Doesn't even remotely hold a candle to that kind of scenery, but I went out to Dolly Sods the other week, and it was everything I had hoped it'd be. Best part was rolling up to a tiny gas station/gun store way out in the boonies, and picking up a strawberry rhubarb pie at the bake sale out front. I don't think I've ever seen a pie disappear so fast as that night at camp.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

OSU_Matthew posted:

Doesn't even remotely hold a candle to that kind of scenery, but I went out to Dolly Sods the other week, and it was everything I had hoped it'd be. Best part was rolling up to a tiny gas station/gun store way out in the boonies, and picking up a strawberry rhubarb pie at the bake sale out front. I don't think I've ever seen a pie disappear so fast as that night at camp.

I always wanted to go to the Dolly Sodds but never got around to it and now I'm moving out of the area.

On the other hand, I'm aiming for a trip in Idaho in late June (hopefully the snow and weather isn't an issue) and have several trips in the Sierra planned so hopefully that makes up for it

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Highly recommend Kings Canyon to anyone looking for a few days' hiking. I took a newbie friend up there last weekend and hiked out of Roads End, doing part of the Rae Lakes loop that takes you over to the JMT. We'll come back and do the whole 4-day thing sometime, it was great. The park gets some visitors but nothing like the numbers in Yosemite.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Highly recommend Kings Canyon to anyone looking for a few days' hiking. I took a newbie friend up there last weekend and hiked out of Roads End, doing part of the Rae Lakes loop that takes you over to the JMT. We'll come back and do the whole 4-day thing sometime, it was great. The park gets some visitors but nothing like the numbers in Yosemite.

I'm hiking out of Road's End on my trip this year but slogging up the Copper Creek trail and eventually wrapping all the way back around to return on the Bubb's Creek trail. That's a long ways off for me though, boo

Rae Lakes are really pretty but quite crowded

Generally though yeah Kings/Sequoia is a fantastic area with some great alpine hiking and places to explore that don't get a lot of visitors as long as you avoid the JMT corridor

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Gropiemon posted:

Yeah I went up to the San Gabriels once and up to Angeles Crest a few times. I live off the 210 in the north valley so it's super close for me. Any places in Big Sur and Yosemite that you can point me towards? The info on the .gov sites are great but I don't really have any outdoorsey friends here that I can get some anecdotal advice from.

For the San Gabriels, I think the Silver Moccasin Trail is your best bet. It's 53 miles long with 15k of elevatioin gain (about 5d/4n). Start at Chantry Flats in Sierra Madre and end at Vincent Gap off the Angeles Crest Highway. Basic itinerary is Chantry Flats to Westfork (9 miles), Westfork to Chilao (11 miles), Chilao to Buckhorn (13 miles), Buckhorn to Little Jimmy (9 miles), and Little Jimmy to Vincent Gap (11 miles). You have to plan ahead for some of the sites and probably want to book them early. You also need to figure out your transportation.

For Yosemite/Sequoia/King's your options are really endless. Get a good map of the parks and just start connecting some dashed lines. I've only done day hikes in Big Sur but there are longer options.

EveryTrail, ModernHiker, and HikeSpeak have a lot of good trail information.

e- There's also the Trans-Catalina Trail that takes about 4d/3n on Catalina Island. My wife and I hiked the first section of it and plan to do the whole thing in the fall or next spring.

khysanth fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 2, 2015

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

khysanth posted:

e- There's also the Trans-Catalina Trail that takes about 4d/3n on Catalina Island. My wife and I hiked the first section of it and plan to do the whole thing in the fall or next spring.

I'm headed there this summer. The girlfriend and I would like to take our hybrid bikes-- the entry-level or so Trek kind. Are there enough improved dirt roads on the island for us to travel on, or is it almost all for mountain bikes?

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

OSU_Matthew posted:

Looks quite a bit different with the leaves out, glad to hear it lived up to your expectations!

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Levitate posted:

I always wanted to go to the Dolly Sodds but never got around to it and now I'm moving out of the area.

On the other hand, I'm aiming for a trip in Idaho in late June (hopefully the snow and weather isn't an issue) and have several trips in the Sierra planned so hopefully that makes up for it

It's been a light year in terms of snow for Idaho. There shouldn't be much to worry about unless you're planning on hitting some north facing slopes on some of the taller peaks. A bigger issue right now is rain. It's generally not a lot and the thunderstorms usually blow by quickly in the mountains but there's been more rainfall in the last month than normal.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
Hiking thread,

I'm thinking of selling my Tatonka Bison 75 for a ULA circuit pack. 75L is pretty excessive, even on extended hikes. Plan to be flying a bit too which is a pain with such a large pack. It's really nice though :ohdear:

Any advice? Planning some multi week hikes and travel across eastern Europe. My worry is using a UL backpack and carrying 7+ days worth of supplies. My gear comes in at around 8 kilos.

http://www.ula-equipment.com/product_p/circuit.htm

queef anxiety fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jun 3, 2015

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
I've just recently moved back to the Pacific Northwest (little northeast of Seattle) and I want to take better advantage of the hiking and camping opportunities here. It was a little difficult the times I was here before due to having a family with lots of little ones and tons of work commitments. Both are much less of an issue this time around and as a bonus my children, especially the older ones, are really wanting to do this as well. So I have a few questions. I'm not a complete novice when it comes to this stuff but its probably better if you treat me as if I were.

1. What are the absolute must haves in terms of equipment? Obviously the younger ones aren't going to be hauling a lot (if any) stuff. I don't see us doing anything more than maybe a long weekend for quite some time due to my children's school and sports commitments. We might get a little longer trip in then here and there but I'd say a week at most and very rarely. Related, what is the best way to acquire this stuff in a budget friendly manner. I know that gear isn't the end all but at the same time I don't want to sacrifice enjoyment of what we are doing because I didn't want to spend a few extra dollars. I'd like to do a mix of day hikes, overnights/weekends where we camp on the trail, and car camping (to accommodate my lovely wife whose idea of roughing it is staying at Best Western ;) ).

2. Besides this thread, what are some good other forums/books/etc to get more knowledgeable?

3. Bonus question for those acquainted with the PNW: what are some good hikes to start off with in the above categories of trips? We just did the Ice Caves Trail at Big 4 and for a really short trail it was pretty flipping awesome.

Feel free to add any relevant information/advice etc.

bad news bareback
Jan 16, 2009

khysanth posted:

For the San Gabriels, I think the Silver Moccasin Trail is your best bet. It's 53 miles long with 15k of elevatioin gain (about 5d/4n). Start at Chantry Flats in Sierra Madre and end at Vincent Gap off the Angeles Crest Highway. Basic itinerary is Chantry Flats to Westfork (9 miles), Westfork to Chilao (11 miles), Chilao to Buckhorn (13 miles), Buckhorn to Little Jimmy (9 miles), and Little Jimmy to Vincent Gap (11 miles). You have to plan ahead for some of the sites and probably want to book them early. You also need to figure out your transportation.

For Yosemite/Sequoia/King's your options are really endless. Get a good map of the parks and just start connecting some dashed lines. I've only done day hikes in Big Sur but there are longer options.

EveryTrail, ModernHiker, and HikeSpeak have a lot of good trail information.

Awesome thanks! I think the Sliver Moccasin will be in the future but that did point me in the direction of Silver Knapsack which is shorter and easier. Not quite in 5 day hiking form yet and I'm trying to not end up on the news getting airlifted out of the San Gabriels. That Catalina trail looks awesome though.

Blinkman987 posted:

I'm headed there this summer. The girlfriend and I would like to take our hybrid bikes-- the entry-level or so Trek kind. Are there enough improved dirt roads on the island for us to travel on, or is it almost all for mountain bikes?

Looks like you may not want to do that specific trail but there's TONS of biking on Catalina that will suit you.

BIKE PASSES/CYCLING AREAS
For the safety of hikers, and the enjoyment of cyclists, bikes are permitted on about eight miles of the Trans-Catalina Trail – from along Renton Mine Road, East End Road and Divide Road to Dakin Peak (the microwave tower) on the East End. However, there are nearly 50 miles of dirt roads and nearly 9 miles of paved roads in the interior for mountain bikers to enjoy. Conservancy “Freewheeler” Bike Passes, which include the added benefits of Conservancy membership, can be purchased at Conservancy House in Avalon, the Airport in the Sky and the Visitor’s Center in Two Harbors.

bad news bareback fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jun 3, 2015

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

vulturesrow posted:

I've just recently moved back to the Pacific Northwest (little northeast of Seattle) and I want to take better advantage of the hiking and camping opportunities here.

1. What are the absolute must haves in terms of equipment?

2. Besides this thread, what are some good other forums/books/etc to get more knowledgeable?

3. Bonus question for those acquainted with the PNW: what are some good hikes to start off with in the above categories of trips? We just did the Ice Caves Trail at Big 4 and for a really short trail it was pretty flipping awesome.

Nice, I'm looking forward to the end of the year when we'll be out that way as well. I'm looking forward to having great hiking/backpacking opportunities nearby.

As for gear, Seattle has a lot of great second hand places, one of the benefits of being so close to the mountains. There are several shops that sell used gear like Second Ascent, 2nd Base, Play it again sports etc. REI being a big national chain and all is still a great resource because they carry a ton of product but better yet they sell used/returned stuff in their garage sales every so often.

Essential gear
Essential gear depends on your activity but you should always have the 10 essentials in some fashion. http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-adv...2LCkaAtCP8P8HAQ

For day hikes, you won't need as much. Just some backpacks, a way to carry or filter water, some food, a small first aid kid, a compass and map if you have it but most day hikes are clearly marked trails. Trail runners or running shoes are usually more than capable of most terrain. Bring an extra layer (and rain shell since you're in the PCNW) in case the temps drop.

Overnight backcountry trips become more involved as far as gear goes. Food and water becomes a bigger part of your trip. You can certainly eat cold dry food the entire time but a hot prepared meal soothes the soul after a long day of hiking and takes the chill out of your body on a cold morning. You will need a stove of some sort if you go this route. Bear canisters are used to store your food and might be required depending on where you go, I would suggest just renting one if you need it. The other thing is that you need to carry what you will need to eat for the whole trip so food weight can really start to add on. The typical adult requires about 1.5-2 lbs of food per day. Depending on what kind of food, the person, etc the weight could vary. Car camping obviously had none of these issues, if it fits in the cooler, bring it.

A water filter of some sort (chemical, physical, etc) is necessary on nearly all backcountry trips.

Sleeping bags, backpacks and tents will probably be your biggest expenses. Decent backpacking tents can be had around $100-200. Backpack prices vary depending on brand and size but decent packs can be had between $150-200. Sleeping bags depend on what seasons you intend on sleeping in. For only having one sleeping bag, I would suggest a 15-20º bag which will get you through most 3 season situations. Down or synthetic is up to the person using it. Synthetic doesn't last as long, performs better when wet, weighs more, and packs bigger but is generally cheaper. Down is more expensive, weighs less, packs smaller but is nearly useless when wet. Good entry level bags typically suggested here are the Kelty Cosmic 20 (Down, 2.5 lbs 20º around $160 new) and the North Face Cats Meow (synthetic, 3lbs 20º ~$160).

Some people are willing to forego the weight of a tent and opt for a tarp instead. I'm not one of those people but its a cheap lightweight option.

If you ever plan on going backpacking, buy backpacking gear rather than car camping gear. Backpacking gear can do both whereas car camping gear is so heavy and bulky that its really only suitable for car camping. Eventually you might end up picking up some car camping specific things and some backpacking specific things. Maybe you have some thicker sleeping pads for car camping whereas backpacking you're willing to sacrifice some weight.

Suggested hikes
There are tons of options available nearby ranging from hourly day hikes, car camping, multi day backpacking to the PCT. The options are nearly endless in that area. I would say that you should start with car camping and day hikes just to get everyone back outside and ease into it if needed. For some people, jumping head first into a backpacking trip might not be ideal. Maybe getting them out into nature little by little is a more comfortable way of easing them into it and feeling comfortable outside.

I always suggest rattlesnake ridge for a fairly easy/short/scenic hike. If I remember correctly its only about 30-45 minutes from Seattle.

If you're looking for something more, you have Mt Baker/Snoqualmie NF, North Cascades NP, Pasayten Wilderness, Okanagan Wanatchee NF, Olympic NP, Rainier NP etc. each with something different to offer and all in close proximity to the city. Maybe pick up some area based hiking/backpacking books from Amazon or at a local shop. Talk to people when you're buying gear, I find that personal recommendations are generally some of the best. The flagship REI in Seattle has rangers from the NP and NF services so you can ask questions and get suggestions. You can always call any of the parks visitor centers to get more information.

I will have to admit, coming from multiple suggestions from people in this thread, Pasayten Wilderness was insane. I will definitely be back.

Verman fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jun 3, 2015

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Gropiemon posted:

Looks like you may not want to do that specific trail but there's TONS of biking on Catalina that will suit you.

BIKE PASSES/CYCLING AREAS
For the safety of hikers, and the enjoyment of cyclists, bikes are permitted on about eight miles of the Trans-Catalina Trail – from along Renton Mine Road, East End Road and Divide Road to Dakin Peak (the microwave tower) on the East End. However, there are nearly 50 miles of dirt roads and nearly 9 miles of paved roads in the interior for mountain bikers to enjoy. Conservancy “Freewheeler” Bike Passes, which include the added benefits of Conservancy membership, can be purchased at Conservancy House in Avalon, the Airport in the Sky and the Visitor’s Center in Two Harbors.

Thank you very much.

Also, just booked a car camping trip at Pyramid Lake (LA area) that has lots of dayhiking, fishing around it. We're restricted to car camping for the sake of the doggies, but our next trip should be in the backwoods and we'll board the dogs. I also was able to convince some coworkers to come along as well, and it'll be their first time hiking. So, thanks to everyone who's answering my inane questions and helping me get into this hobby.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Brinner posted:

Hiking thread,

I'm thinking of selling my Tatonka Bison 75 for a ULA circuit pack. 75L is pretty excessive, even on extended hikes. Plan to be flying a bit too which is a pain with such a large pack. It's really nice though :ohdear:

Any advice? Planning some multi week hikes and travel across eastern Europe. My worry is using a UL backpack and carrying 7+ days worth of supplies. My gear comes in at around 8 kilos.

http://www.ula-equipment.com/product_p/circuit.htm

I've got about 650 miles of the PCT on my ULA Circuit and there are plenty more out there who have finished the Triple Crown with a Circuit. It's a tested pack that holds up to decent abuse. I really enjoy the size and shape of the bag. It does top out around 35 pounds though. It definitely stops being comfortable above that number and you won't want to put many miles in with much more.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

Verman posted:

I will have to admit, coming from multiple suggestions from people in this thread, Pasayten Wilderness was insane. I will definitely be back.

I'm probably doing the Boundary Trail this summer :getin:

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

vulturesrow posted:

The Washington Trails Association website is your friend - they have a hike finder map where you can find trails and search based on distance, elevation etc and have trip reports and other info so you know if the hike is appropriate or not. They also have blog posts and so forth where they highlight some particularly good hikes in different areas.

http://www.wta.org/

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Verman posted:

Nice, I'm looking forward to the end of the year when we'll be out that way as well. I'm looking forward to having great hiking/backpacking opportunities nearby.

As for gear, Seattle has a lot of great second hand places, one of the benefits of being so close to the mountains. There are several shops that sell used gear like Second Ascent, 2nd Base, Play it again sports etc. REI being a big national chain and all is still a great resource because they carry a ton of product but better yet they sell used/returned stuff in their garage sales every so often.

Essential gear
Essential gear depends on your activity but you should always have the 10 essentials in some fashion. http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-adv...2LCkaAtCP8P8HAQ

For day hikes, you won't need as much. Just some backpacks, a way to carry or filter water, some food, a small first aid kid, a compass and map if you have it but most day hikes are clearly marked trails. Trail runners or running shoes are usually more than capable of most terrain. Bring an extra layer (and rain shell since you're in the PCNW) in case the temps drop.

Overnight backcountry trips become more involved as far as gear goes. Food and water becomes a bigger part of your trip. You can certainly eat cold dry food the entire time but a hot prepared meal soothes the soul after a long day of hiking and takes the chill out of your body on a cold morning. You will need a stove of some sort if you go this route. Bear canisters are used to store your food and might be required depending on where you go, I would suggest just renting one if you need it. The other thing is that you need to carry what you will need to eat for the whole trip so food weight can really start to add on. The typical adult requires about 1.5-2 lbs of food per day. Depending on what kind of food, the person, etc the weight could vary. Car camping obviously had none of these issues, if it fits in the cooler, bring it.

A water filter of some sort (chemical, physical, etc) is necessary on nearly all backcountry trips.

Sleeping bags, backpacks and tents will probably be your biggest expenses. Decent backpacking tents can be had around $100-200. Backpack prices vary depending on brand and size but decent packs can be had between $150-200. Sleeping bags depend on what seasons you intend on sleeping in. For only having one sleeping bag, I would suggest a 15-20º bag which will get you through most 3 season situations. Down or synthetic is up to the person using it. Synthetic doesn't last as long, performs better when wet, weighs more, and packs bigger but is generally cheaper. Down is more expensive, weighs less, packs smaller but is nearly useless when wet. Good entry level bags typically suggested here are the Kelty Cosmic 20 (Down, 2.5 lbs 20º around $160 new) and the North Face Cats Meow (synthetic, 3lbs 20º ~$160).

Some people are willing to forego the weight of a tent and opt for a tarp instead. I'm not one of those people but its a cheap lightweight option.

If you ever plan on going backpacking, buy backpacking gear rather than car camping gear. Backpacking gear can do both whereas car camping gear is so heavy and bulky that its really only suitable for car camping. Eventually you might end up picking up some car camping specific things and some backpacking specific things. Maybe you have some thicker sleeping pads for car camping whereas backpacking you're willing to sacrifice some weight.

Suggested hikes
There are tons of options available nearby ranging from hourly day hikes, car camping, multi day backpacking to the PCT. The options are nearly endless in that area. I would say that you should start with car camping and day hikes just to get everyone back outside and ease into it if needed. For some people, jumping head first into a backpacking trip might not be ideal. Maybe getting them out into nature little by little is a more comfortable way of easing them into it and feeling comfortable outside.

I always suggest rattlesnake ridge for a fairly easy/short/scenic hike. If I remember correctly its only about 30-45 minutes from Seattle.

If you're looking for something more, you have Mt Baker/Snoqualmie NF, North Cascades NP, Pasayten Wilderness, Okanagan Wanatchee NF, Olympic NP, Rainier NP etc. each with something different to offer and all in close proximity to the city. Maybe pick up some area based hiking/backpacking books from Amazon or at a local shop. Talk to people when you're buying gear, I find that personal recommendations are generally some of the best. The flagship REI in Seattle has rangers from the NP and NF services so you can ask questions and get suggestions. You can always call any of the parks visitor centers to get more information.

Thanks for writing that post. What size pack would be good considering I probably won't be doing anything over a weekend any time soon?

What trails in the Pasayten are you looking at?

Officer Sandvich posted:

I'm probably doing the Boundary Trail this summer :getin:

That looks amazing.

gohuskies posted:

The Washington Trails Association website is your friend - they have a hike finder map where you can find trails and search based on distance, elevation etc and have trip reports and other info so you know if the hike is appropriate or not. They also have blog posts and so forth where they highlight some particularly good hikes in different areas.

http://www.wta.org/

Yeah I've been perusing it and it is definitely helpful. I'm just looking for personal recommendations to supplement the info I've been able to find.

vulturesrow fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jun 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Blinkman987 posted:

We're restricted to car camping for the sake of the doggies, but our next trip should be in the backwoods and we'll board the dogs

That is patently false
:colbert:

Also the number one reason I want a pup, to take with me backpacking.

http://m.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/hiking-dogs.html