Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The Master of Disguise is seriously just baffling and gross to the point where describing it to somebody who has never seen it makes you sound like a madman. And not in a cool trippy Don Bluth/Studio Ghibli/Return to Oz way but in a "guy jerking off through his pants outside of a playground while muttering to himself" way:

-the movie is 80 minutes long. Of these 10 minutes are the credits, which are full of outtakes that often feature entire sets, characters, and plotlines that weren't in the actual movie.
-the main character has a fetish for giant butts because they remind him of his mom's butt. This is explicitly stated multiple times and is a plot point. In one of the aforementioned deleted scenes he has to fight a squad of women in skintight dresses who shake their giant asses at him as a form of attack.
-his main form of fighting people is to slap them while shouting "who's your daddy?" over and over. He learns this from fighting a steampunk combat robot that is actually a midget inside of a mannequin, who at one point climbs out and beats up Dana Carvey as revenge for taking so many hits over the course of the movie.
-he learns how to channel his disguise powers by dressing up in brownface, playing Kenny G on a plastic dollarstore recorder, and then making out with a snake while babbling in an offensive Indian accent
-one of his disguises is a Scarface impression. He uses this to sneak into a party, ask a waiter for "a little weiner and some tiny nuts", and breakdance. When he's caught by the villain's henchmen at the party he evades them by dressing up like Quint from Jaws, doing a parody of the Indianapolis speech from the movie, and then when he gets caught again dresses up like a giant cow pie and is stepped on by the henchmen.
-Brent Spiner plays the villain, who kidnaps Dana Carvey's dad and forces him to use his disguise powers to steal historical artifacts while dressed up as C-list celebrities like Jesse Ventura and Jessica Simpson. He does this by kidnapping Dana Carvey's mom and feeding her caramel corn laced with mind-control potion. There's a running gag where he farts loudly every time he laughs.
-the imdb quotes page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Pistachio Disguisey.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Someone was paid to write that.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
The craziest thing to me about the movie is the fact that it came out after the year 1996. Who was banking on the star power of Dana Carvey in the year 2002?

Sleeveless posted:

-the main character has a fetish for giant butts because they remind him of his mom's butt. This is explicitly stated multiple times and is a plot point. In one of the aforementioned deleted scenes he has to fight a squad of women in skintight dresses who shake their giant asses at him as a form of attack.

Ok, you got me I'm hitting up Netflix right now.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

I think that movie killed Carveys career

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

What the gently caress.

Yeah, I'm getting wasted and watching this.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

As much as I can't stand the Nostalgia Critic, his review of it covers most of the main talking points about how Master of Disguise is pretty much nega-comedy and why Dana Carvey is loving terrible and needs to be stopped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRk3XXlXsKQ

e: Short form is that Carvey is basically in love with his own silly voices and non-characters, and thinks he is still high-larious.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

precision posted:

Yeah, I'm getting wasted and watching this.

I'm intrigued but I don't think there's a glass of water tall enough for that poo poo.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I know a lot about The Master of Disguise thanks to the internet, but I've never actually seen it. That changes... tonight ! ! !

Ror posted:

I'm intrigued but I don't think there's a glass of water tall enough for that poo poo.
Oh we'll just see about that :okpos:

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Okay so I normally hate double posting but right now I hate everything so it balances out

I wrote down every time I laughed while watching Master of Disguise from beginning until the last goddamn frame:

18 minutes: Abraham Lincoln is shown bombing during a speech so a Disguisey in a Lincoln costume swaps places with him and turns the party out; it goes on just long enough for me to reconsider if it was ever funny before it had a chance to end.

36 minutes: Jennifer Esposito gives Dana Carvey a clue while telling him some background information. When he looks at the clue, he hears what she just said in a voice-over, then goes "Do you remember that thing you once said about blah blah blah..." I actually forgot what the joke here was because I just wrote down the timestamp so that shows how desperate I was to laugh.

60 minutes: Jennifer Esposito goes in for a kiss while Dana Carvey is rambling about god knows what. He rambles straight through her kiss, then kisses the air where she used to be. It's a little Actually Cute and might have worked as a throwaway joke in a Woody Allen movie.

The 70 minute runtime with 10 minutes of credits makes it sound like this would be a lean movie, but the weird cuts and total lack of continuity hints at some five hour epic that was filmed where this was the only remotely presentable material. I wonder if all the original footage still exists, or if the ground beneath it gave way as Hell could not bear to be without its purest creation.

Edit: and to the point of the thesis, no, ain't a glass tall enough, ain't a water icy cold enough

DoombatINC fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jun 4, 2015

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

DoombatINC posted:

The 70 minute runtime with 10 minutes of credits makes it sound like this would be a lean movie, but the weird cuts and total lack of continuity hints at some five hour epic that was filmed where this was the only remotely presentable material. I wonder if all the original footage still exists, or if the ground beneath it gave way as Hell could not bare to be without its purest creation.

When I was growing up we actually owned the DVD because I had a younger sibling who inexplicably loved the movie, the DVD not only has a bunch of deleted scenes but Carvey actually introduces each one in-character as The Turtle Guy.

There's an entire alternate ending where instead of showing up as President Bush and saving the day he shows up as Captain America and saves the day by throwing his shield at Brent Spiner when he tries to run away.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

The Love Guru and Master of Disguise were bad enough that taken together they make me question whether Wayne's World was actually good.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The Master of Disguise is a loving wretched movie. God help me for watching this.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Someone go write the OP for the Master Of Disguise thread.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

So in The Lost World episode, they quickly mention that Dennis Nedry was either Hammond's son or nephew. What? Was that a thing? I always assumed he was a contractor, hence the line, "Get Nedry's people on the phone." Was this actually mentioned in the movie and I've just never noticed it? Or something from the book?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

LORD OF BUTT posted:

The Master of Disguise is a loving wretched movie. God help me for watching this.

How does it compare to Easy Rider 2? That seems to be one of their benchmarks for horrid movies.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

So in The Lost World episode, they quickly mention that Dennis Nedry was either Hammond's son or nephew. What? Was that a thing? I always assumed he was a contractor, hence the line, "Get Nedry's people on the phone." Was this actually mentioned in the movie and I've just never noticed it? Or something from the book?
He's not related to Hammond, he just works at the park.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Evil Mastermind posted:

He's not related to Hammond, he just works at the park.

That's what I thought, so I have no idea where that came from, but all 4 of them were in agreement that he was either his son or nephew.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

DoombatINC posted:

Okay so I normally hate double posting but right now I hate everything so it balances out

I wrote down every time I laughed while watching Master of Disguise from beginning until the last goddamn frame:

18 minutes: Abraham Lincoln is shown bombing during a speech so a Disguisey in a Lincoln costume swaps places with him and turns the party out; it goes on just long enough for me to reconsider if it was ever funny before it had a chance to end.

36 minutes: Jennifer Esposito gives Dana Carvey a clue while telling him some background information. When he looks at the clue, he hears what she just said in a voice-over, then goes "Do you remember that thing you once said about blah blah blah..." I actually forgot what the joke here was because I just wrote down the timestamp so that shows how desperate I was to laugh.

60 minutes: Jennifer Esposito goes in for a kiss while Dana Carvey is rambling about god knows what. He rambles straight through her kiss, then kisses the air where she used to be. It's a little Actually Cute and might have worked as a throwaway joke in a Woody Allen movie.

The 70 minute runtime with 10 minutes of credits makes it sound like this would be a lean movie, but the weird cuts and total lack of continuity hints at some five hour epic that was filmed where this was the only remotely presentable material. I wonder if all the original footage still exists, or if the ground beneath it gave way as Hell could not bear to be without its purest creation.

Edit: and to the point of the thesis, no, ain't a glass tall enough, ain't a water icy cold enough

Uhhaaha... Hahaha... HAHAHAHA *fart*.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

thrawn527 posted:

I completely forgot that they bring this up. I don't know if someone misspoke but they were all in agreement that Hammond and Nedry were related for some reason.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

DrVenkman posted:

I completely forgot that they bring this up. I don't know if someone misspoke but they were all in agreement that Hammond and Nedry were related for some reason.

In the book he's his nephew, I'm pretty sure.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

In the book he's his nephew, I'm pretty sure.

In the film he sarcastically calls him "Dad". He says something like "Thanks a lot, dad". He's definitely related to Hammond because there was something in the book about how he only got the job because of that.

Also, we watched Master of Disguise last night and I legitimately don't remember anything about it. :tinfoil:

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
:psyduck:

When you people described the thing, I figured it was one of those terrible mid-90s feature length cartoons, not a freaking live action movie. Jesus, what the gently caress?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Love Guru, Master of Disguise , Wayne's World marathon.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

It was nice knowing you.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

bobkatt013 posted:

3movies1bullet.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Wayne's World at the end guarantees you'll die before you see a good movie.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

precision posted:

In the film he sarcastically calls him "Dad". He says something like "Thanks a lot, dad". He's definitely related to Hammond because there was something in the book about how he only got the job because of that.

Also, we watched Master of Disguise last night and I legitimately don't remember anything about it. :tinfoil:

I'm pretty sure Hammond mentions in the movie that they only got Nedry because he's the only one who could handle the workload.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DrVenkman posted:

I'm pretty sure Hammond mentions in the movie that they only got Nedry because he's the only one who could handle the workload.

It's really weird that apparently so many people came to the conclusion that he was related to Hammond if there's no mention of it. I guess it must just all come from the "thanks a lot dad" line and the way he acts toward Hammond in general is very uncle-nephew or something.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

sean10mm posted:

How does it compare to Easy Rider 2? That seems to be one of their benchmarks for horrid movies.

I think Master of Disguise might be worse on a more concentrated level, but Easy Rider 2 is longer and is making GBS threads on a good movie, so I'll go for the latter.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

precision posted:

It's really weird that apparently so many people came to the conclusion that he was related to Hammond if there's no mention of it. I guess it must just all come from the "thanks a lot dad" line and the way he acts toward Hammond in general is very uncle-nephew or something.

It's 100% not something that is from the movie. I'm pretty sure it's in the book, Googlefu gives me nothing, though.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

sean10mm posted:

I haven't seen Easy Rider 2, but I can tell you that hands down, Master of Disguise is the worst movie I have ever seen.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Easy Rider 2 is an insult to Easy Rider, while Master of Disguise is an insult to humor, art, film and human expression as a whole

Sidenote: SwiftKey followed my writing "master of disguise is" by suggesting "unwatchable" so SwiftKey knows what's up :respek:

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

"Tell Jim Henson he's fired. No no no no no no, tell him to drop dead.

He what?"

Eric is the loving best.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

DangerDummy! posted:

"Tell Jim Henson he's fired. No no no no no no, tell him to drop dead.

He what?"

Eric is the loving best.

What episode was this from

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Super Mario Brothers. It's a goody.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

weekly font posted:

Wayne's World at the end guarantees you'll die before you see a good movie.

But wait, it turns out the tape was mislabeled and you actually end up watching Chris Kattan's Corky Romano.

Twilight Zoned!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

If you can watch a Master of Disguise/Love Guru/Corky Romano marathon you can get into heaven for free. You get the pass.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Their Invisible Child chat is one of my favorites. The movie can be found on youtube too. Check it out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mucktron
Dec 21, 2005

"But I've been twelve for a very long time"
The entire gang's utter rage and disgust they normally save for lovely sexist/homophobic scenes, at that lovely baby t-Rex puppet had me in hysterics. And their constant bashing on Hammond
"Ohhh! They're just harmless dinosaurs!"
"THEY CAN loving FLY!!"