Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Sharkopath posted:

cropping stillframes makes all games look bad

The whole opening sequence with the dog looks loving awful, in motion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

cropping stillframes makes all games look bad

Counterpoint: no it doesn't.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

Whatever you define as 'Good Story Telling', it sure as hell didn't make New Vegas better than 3. Sympathetic but mundane good guys (NCR), unsympathetically evil guys (Cesar) fighting over a low-scale/low-impact thing (Hoover Dam). Yawn.

Compare to walking behind a giant gunmetal Optimus Prime, shouting anti-communist slogans, throwing nukes like a football, against remnants of the US Government, in order to purify the water for the entire east coast of the setting. loving awesome.

fnv is cool, fo3 is what twelve-year-olds think is cool hth

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

*me, seeing a climactic battle for the single foothold the NCR have in the entirety of the mojave, which also coincidentally happens to be a largely useless but symbolically important part of the past, said obsession with the past being a core theme running through the entire game and DLCs*

wtf is this poo poo where's my mothershitting god drat giant robot blowing up shitfucking enclave fuckwankers

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Thug Lessons posted:

The whole opening sequence with the dog looks loving awful, in motion

It looks alright, to me.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i like dogs

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

i hope we can turn him into a cyberdog like the one from fnv

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

Counterpoint: no it doesn't.

It divorces it from any environmental composition or wider context with regards to the color palette of an area, but also blowing it up afterwards just makes it look even worse.

It's not like painting where getting a detail from a larger work reveals craftsmanship invisible in a wider view, because its image files and they dont scale well.

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012

Genocyber posted:

fnv is cool, fo3 is what twelve-year-olds think is cool hth

megalodong posted:

*me, seeing a climactic battle for the single foothold the NCR have in the entirety of the mojave, which also coincidentally happens to be a largely useless but symbolically important part of the past, said obsession with the past being a core theme running through the entire game and DLCs*

wtf is this poo poo where's my mothershitting god drat giant robot blowing up shitfucking enclave fuckwankers

Exactly lol

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

It divorces it from any environmental composition or wider context with regards to the color palette of an area, but also blowing it up afterwards just makes it look even worse.

It's not like painting where getting a detail from a larger work reveals craftsmanship invisible in a wider view, because its image files and they dont scale well.

Maybe you didn't notice but the man was floating 4 inches off the ground.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

I've had enough of the Boy And His Dog poo poo from Bethesda to be honest. I don't have a PS4 or a tough enough PC to get Fallout 4 bur if and when I do get it I will be killing every single dog I see, even- no, especially- ones that are non-hostile and named.

NadaTooma
Aug 24, 2004

The good thing is that everyone around you has more critical failures in combat, the bad thing is - so do you!

We all float down here Georgie, and when you're down here, you'll float too.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

Maybe you didn't notice but the man was floating 4 inches off the ground.

He's standing on it and the soft shadow is rendered with a fading point at his feet from that lod at that distance.

It's super minor, friend.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

2house2fly posted:

I've had enough of the Boy And His Dog poo poo from Bethesda to be honest. I don't have a PS4 or a tough enough PC to get Fallout 4 bur if and when I do get it I will be killing every single dog I see, even- no, especially- ones that are non-hostile and named.

Reported you loving monster. Enjoy your time in fart gently caress hell. Nobody kills a dog.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
Not sure what system to pick fallout 4 up for if i get it. PC or ps4. pc has mods and my computer can run it, but it will probaly be buggy as poo poo, and i hate tinkering around in mod menues and game crashs. So maybe ps4. Idk.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

2house2fly posted:

lol if you think every npc isn't going to be unkillable

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Not sure what system to pick fallout 4 up for if i get it. PC or ps4. pc has mods and my computer can run it, but it will probaly be buggy as poo poo, and i hate tinkering around in mod menues and game crashs. So maybe ps4. Idk.

if you go console you'll trade bugginess for straight up crashes if the previous console ports are any indication. tho given this doesn't seem to be much of a major graphical upgrade, and the new consoles are much better/less weird apparently, that might not be an issue. who knows.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Woah, hey, welcome to EB Games. Check out the new Fallout 4 trailer that a triple A game developer apparently couldn't comb over a couple times to ensure there were no obvious clipping issues, duplicate character models, or people floating off the ground.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

dont buy a bethesda gamebyro game on a sony console. dont buy a bethesda gamebyro game on a sony console

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

I hope this game has This Machine in it, because man, that gun ruled.

TheTrend fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jun 4, 2015

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Roobanguy posted:

dont buy a bethesda gamebyro game on a sony console. dont buy a bethesda gamebyro game on a sony console

Iirc Sony has specifically made the PS4 more developer friendly after their last-gen strategy of assuming they'd remain top dog forever and making the PS3 super hard to work with to ensure they'd have all the exclusives because it wouldn't be worth it to make an Xbox AND PS3 version of a game didn't go as planned.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

I don't know how people can play fallout on consoles without the more realistic wasteland females mod.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

megalodong posted:

I don't know how people can play fallout on consoles without the more realistic wasteland females mod.

you mean the one that gives them dongs, right?

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Doesn't really fit fallout's tone anymore. The environment's don't look post-nuclear at all. Colorful fantasy dog adventure.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

T-72 posted:

The whole point of Fallout is campy 50s Americana in a post apocalyptic setting.

Have you played the first 2? Because this really only became the case in FO3

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

the black husserl posted:

Doesn't really fit fallout's tone anymore. The environment's don't look post-nuclear at all. Colorful fantasy dog adventure.

A bunch of ending slides from the first two games were easily as colourful as that trailer.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

What if Enclave was... good????

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
It's really depressing that Obsidian was only awarded $500,000 for developing New Vegas. How many salaries can that support for one operating year, like 8?

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Dandywalken posted:

President Eden was right.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

More hyped for the potential spin-off by Obsidian, and the eventual mod that will merge the two. Guess I only have to wait about 7 years for that =(

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
If I'm going to have to play a loving cryogenic MERICAN come back from before the bombs Im definitely going to be playing a flag wearing fatass neckbeard that kills anyone who tries to take mah guns or is Too Communist

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
I'm just wondering how long it will take before then offer it for $5 on Steam every two weeks.

PerpetualSelf
Apr 6, 2015

by Ralp
Gamer Opinions are like white people. They should all just die.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

2house2fly posted:

Iirc Sony has specifically made the PS4 more developer friendly after their last-gen strategy of assuming they'd remain top dog forever and making the PS3 super hard to work with to ensure they'd have all the exclusives because it wouldn't be worth it to make an Xbox AND PS3 version of a game didn't go as planned.

The PS3 was built, primarily, on alien architecture and there are people still studying it and learning new things about it on a daily basis. We know more about the moon than about the PS3's "CPU".

Added Space posted:

I'm just wondering how long it will take before then offer it for $5 on Steam every two weeks.

About 24-30 months.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Dandywalken posted:

I hope the Enclave is still around, but it's like a bunch of aging middle management types who have literally no idea what they should be doing after Eden's death, so they send out vaguely menacing pamphlets in an attempt to get new recruits and run for city council elections.

You'll get a quest where the Enclave asks you to get petition signatures that they can get ballot access for the Boston Public School Board.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

QuoProQuid posted:

I hope the Enclave is still around, but it's like a bunch of aging middle management types who have literally no idea what they should be doing after Eden's death, so they send out vaguely menacing pamphlets in an attempt to get new recruits and run for city council elections.

You'll get a quest where the Enclave asks you to get petition signatures that they can get ballot access for the Boston Public School Board.

I'd be 100% all over this poo poo.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

QuoProQuid posted:

This would honestly fit into a Fallout game with the mood of Fallout 2. There'd also be some sort of reference to the "sub-prime" crisis of 2008-09.

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

PerpetualSelf posted:

Gamers are like white people. They should all just die.

TheTrend fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jun 4, 2015

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I am just really curious what they have done to revamp the gameplay of these games. If they are sticking with VATS have they done anything to make it more fun/strategic? Have they got rid of enemies that scale to your level like in Skyrim? Will the be a robust faction system that has a big impact of the game world?

If its just Fallout 3 with a fresh coat of paint then I am waiting for GOTY edition or a nice steam sale.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

One thing I wish for VATS is to have more options for spending AP- using healing items, swapping weapons, etc. In New Vegas I might be fighting a heavily armoured enemy next to one with no armour at all and I'll want to quickly swap between AP and HP ammo. That probably won't crop up in Fallout 4 though, shotguns will once again fire simply Shotgun Shells as God intended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I agree anything that would make VATS more about choosing strategic options for different scenarios would be great. The old games are always about shooting the thing in the head in all circumstances.

• Locked thread