Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Malpais Legate posted:

As dumb as it sounds, I'll never forgive them if they take out SPECIAL.
Watch them keep SPECIAL but make it not do anything at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Malpais Legate posted:

As dumb as it sounds, I'll never forgive them if they take out SPECIAL.

I don't mind a voiced protagonist, but it doesn't particularly bode well for the roleplaying aspect of this, you know, roleplaying game. Maybe it'll work out, but I ain't optimistic.

A voiced protag only has me worried because I don't find Bethesda to be very good at VA in general. There'll probably be a lot of repeated dialogue even without voicing the main character to say "Yes!" "No!" "Pay me" and "Arrow in the knee! Get it!?"

Edit: Really, Bethesda should bring over some of the folks from Zenimax that worked on ESO to do VA and dialogue work, cause that game was miles ahead of anything else they've done in those two particular aspects.

bobtheconqueror fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jun 4, 2015

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

JawKnee posted:

What parts of FO1 and FO2, besides the intro songs, would you say are reminiscent of 1950's Americana? Because there's a whole lot more that aint.

There's actually lot of it, and people remember it really clearly because it's played up in loading screens, manuals, and stuff like that.

What people tend to miss is that just as much in the first two games, particularly stuff like the look of building tilesets and the design of weapons, was based on the way that a lot of eighties and early nineties SF riffed on the fifties. The 10mm pistol, for instance, is Nixon/Carl's revolver from Frank Miller's Hard Boiled. It's retrofuturistic, rather than a straight take on the era.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I wouldn't be surprised if Bethesda does something similar to Saints Row 4 in terms of voices. At least a male/female voice, maybe some way to modify them pitch-wise and stuff.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

basically he's the kind of person who sees vanilla skyrim and sighs, "perfection"

also the kind of person valve focus tests to

I don't see what you're so upset about. Skyrim (and Valve games) is commercially and critically well received, and the same stuff I couldn't stand in WoW are generally the same reason why everyone who came back for the latest expansion have left in what was described as its 'biggest quarterly drop ever'. Don't get me wrong, it'd be fuckin' awesome if I alone was some gaming bellweather, but at least I'm part of the group that developers listen to. It's win win. Developers make games folks like I like, gaming gets better because of it.

PM me if you want to talk about it there so it's not a derail, but frankly it seems like you're just upset that developers listen to folks like me over someone like you, and that games are better for it.

cthulhoo posted:

wait wait wait. draenor leveling content was hard? loving lol

Nah, the leveling content was fine. Getting to cap and not being able to flying is unacceptable.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jun 4, 2015

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

MisterBibs posted:

I don't see what you're so upset about. Skyrim (and Valve games) is commercially and critically well received, and the same stuff I couldn't stand in WoW are generally the same reason why everyone who came back for the latest expansion have left in what was described as its 'biggest quarterly drop ever'. Don't get me wrong, it'd be fuckin' awesome if I was some bellweather, but at least I'm part of the group that developers listen to, with obvious benefits to having done so.
I admire their dedication to making games for the cognitively handicapped, they should recieve special needs organization awards

also Warlords of Draenor was way easier than the last two expansions i'm sorry that was too hard for you

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I put on the big boy testing pants

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

MisterBibs posted:

PM me if you want to talk about it there so it's not a derail, but frankly it seems like you're just upset that developers listen to folks like me over someone like you (and that games are better for it).
The developers who don't listen to you make games like Pillars of Eternity and the Witcher 3 which are also very good games for cool people btw

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

cthulhoo posted:

The concepts of "basic reading" and "paying a tiny amount of attention to game mechanics" were too much for MisterBibs

MisterBibs posted:

Nah, the leveling content was fine. Getting to cap and not being able to flying is unacceptable.
I'm pretty sure the questing became fine when you got fellow guild members who weren't annoyed yet to cruise you through solo quests :eng101:

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jun 4, 2015

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Watch them keep SPECIAL but make it not do anything at all

Superfluous Programming Effectively Caused by Insane Amounts of Laziness

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

MisterBibs posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Bethesda does something similar to Saints Row 4 in terms of voices. At least a male/female voice, maybe some way to modify them pitch-wise and stuff.

I'd be happy just to have Laura Bailey's Boss voice and fitting dialogue.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Theta Zero posted:

Superfluous Programming Effectively Caused by Insane Amounts of Laziness
code:
if specialSTR > 0
{
//gently caress it, let obsidian handle this
}

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Is this the one where commander shepard kills the reapers?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Ahundredbux posted:

Is this the one where commander shepard kills the reapers?

No he chose the green ending.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
that trailer was really badly edited and everything looks like a brightly coloured toy world so thats pretty worrying up front. hopefully it turns out good.

edit: the more i read about this the worse it sounds. looks like this is gonna be the bad one and obsidian can make the good one this time. drat what a long wait. fallout 3 good -> new vegas poo poo -> fallout 4 poo poo -> fallout 4 new washington or whatever the gently caress good. how long a wait is that in between good fallout games like a loving decade?

Mr. Unlucky fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jun 4, 2015

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Sharkopath posted:

He's standing on it and the soft shadow is rendered with a fading point at his feet from that lod at that distance.

It's super minor, friend.

Except the shadow of the crate in front of him is further away and isn't fading at all.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
Information about Fallout 4 was leaked 11 months ago and it turns out the leak was true. It's really long so don't be afraid of splitting your pants by going to Reddit.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Fallout/comments/28v2dn/i_played_fallout_4/

quote:

Before you all say: "TROLL!" "LIAR!", etc, you can all can your mouths and ask one of the Bethesda Employees about Me (my username is my name) and they will confirm I worked for Bethesda. I am strictly posting this in "Revenge" for them firing me.

Anyways, I worked at Bethesda Game Studios in Maryland up until last month before I was fired for releasing confidential information (but it was an accident!) and so here I am, sitting unemployed with my 2 kids thanks to those fools. So, I wanted to say: I worked on, and played, Fallout 4. Yes, I did.

I want to confirm that the recent leaks about Fallout 4 are true. In Fallout 4, you are in Boston, and it takes place in the year 2287, exactly 10 years after Fallout 3. In Fallout 4, mixing things up, we are making the game more "Story Based" and the player character will finally talk, and narrate his storyline.

At the beginning of the game, you create your character (You can only be a male in the main story), and afterward, you start the game with a blast. After the blast, you awake to see the building you are standing inside blown apart and your wife, Lydia, dead. Robots and Androids are storming the place, killing and kidnapping the people inside. You, known as "The Officer", must escape and get revenge.

LOCATION: Fallout 4 is set in and around Boston and the surrounding countryside.

The downtown area is entirely controlled by "The Institute", a group of techies and scholars, as well as researchers, who devote their lives to technology. The countryside area is a "Wasteland" with small towns and settlements, as well as vaults here and there. Logan International Airport is taken over by the Brotherhood of steel, who are there trying to control the technology, and are currently waging a war against the institute, as they both have disagreements as to who should be in control of the technology in the area.

Meanwhile, Vault 79, located outside of Boston, is under the control by "The Railroad", a group of people dedicated to helping Androids escape the institute.
The map of Fallout 4 is about 3 times the size of Skyrim. The reason for this is to make a much more realistic and interactive world, that players can always find new things, even if they have played it for years after release.

FACTIONS:
The Railroad returns from Fallout 3, where you only had a small glimpse of it during the "Replicated man" quest. In this game, they are a full faction and are much larger.

The Brotherhood Of Steel returns and control Logan Airport. This BOS is not the same as seen in Fallout 3. Instead, a similar BOS to the ones seen in the classic Fallout games as well as Fallout New Vegas make an appearance, only caring about technology, and will obtain it by force if they have to.

The Institute returns from Fallout 3, and is headed by a man named Thomas Littleton. They are the primary antagonists of the game, and control most of Boston Downtown. Their patrols in Downtown Boston are the counterpart in this game to the Super Mutants in Downtown DC in Fallout 3.

Talon Company also returns, but in a much smaller force. They base operations outside of a bunker located in Downtown Boston.
Raiders return too.

CREATURES:
Super Mutants return, in the same form as the ones from Fallout 3, keeping in line with the "East Coast" mutants.

Feral Ghouls return as well.

Vicious Dogs return.

Feral Cats are new, and exclusively located in one of the vaults.

Spore Carriers return from Fallout New Vegas, and are located in sewers.

RETURNING CHARACTERS:
Madison Li returns from Fallout 3. 10 years prior to Fallout 4, she left D.C after the Loss of James and having thought she lost the lone wanderer as well. Having had enough, she left to Boston, as it is home to one of the biggest Scientific facilities. Madison will once again be voiced by Jennifer Massey.
Three Dog returns as well, although he is only heard on the radio, and not seen in person. People believe the radio is not actually live, and that it is simply a looped recording. (Based on the fact that you CAN kill him in Fallout 3.) He is voiced by Erik Todd Dellums.

Bryan Wilks returns from Fallout 3. Yes, the little boy you saved from Grayditch. He is now 19 years old and is a mercenary, working with Talon Company. He bases his reason as to working with them on "Once someone saved me, and I wanted to be just like them!" He is voiced by Jerry Jewell.

Other Fallout 3 characters return as well, but only through save transfer (Detailed below).
PLATFORMS:
Fallout 4 will be available for a wide range of platforms after launch. The first version that will be released is being developed for Playstation 4, Xbox One and PC. This version uses a brand new engine built from the ground up to take advantage of the power of next gen systems. Absolutely everything is new, and no assets or scrips are being used from Fallout 3/NV or Skyrim.

Fallout 4 will also be available on Playstation 3 and Xbox 360. This version is also being developed by Bethesda Game Studios, but will release a year after the advanced version. This version runs on the Creation Engine, the same engine that powered Skyrim. This is being done so that PS3/360 users can play the game without problem. Everything will be the same in this version as the advanced version, except for the graphics, gameplay and some additional features.

Also, Fallout 4 on PS3 and Xbox 360, last I knew, was around 20GB+. This means that it will most definitely require install. Also, players of the PS3/360 version will be pleased to know that Fallout 4 will be able to import your Fallout 3 save, and adapt choices you made from that game for Fallout 4. This means that some additional characters could pop up, depending on if you killed them or not in Fallout 3. Also, some story references from Fallout 3 will be mentioned. Did the BOS save the capitol wasteland? Or did it fall? Did Sarah turn on the purifier and die? Or did the lone wanderer do it? It might get mentioned depending on your choices!
DEVELOPERS: Fallout 4 is being developed by Bethesda Game Studios, the same developer behind Fallout 3.

GAMEPLAY:
Fallout 4 plays similar to Fallout 3 and New Vegas. You can play in Third Person or First Person, or on the PC version, a new "Classic Mode" that will put the game into birds eye view and play similar to the classic Fallout Games. (Although by my experience, it actually looked and played more like the PS2/Xbox Fallout: Brotherhood of steel.)

Unlike Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas, you can only play as a man. This is due to the storyline requiring it. However, after the main story is over, you can have a gender change. BGS did not rule out Females for possible standalone DLC, however.

Additionally, full support for Trophies/Achievements are present on all console versions, and full steamworks support is present for the PC version.

PROGRESS: By my estimate, Fallout 4's PS4/XboxOne/PC version is about 40% complete, while the PS3/Xbox360 version is about 15% complete. Both versions are being developed by BGS.

RELEASE DATE: BGS has a "Roadmap" already planned out for Fallout 4 and a spinoff. I already was informed about it from the studio when I worked there, and I read it. Basically, the roadmap is this:
June 2015 - Fallout 4 reveal at E3, trailer only
July 2015 - First gameplay trailers
August 2015 - More information
October 2015 - PS4/Xbox One/PC release
November 2015 - First DLC
December 2015 - Second DLC, as well as PS3/360 version release
January 2016 - Third DLC
March 2016 - Forth DLC
April 2016 - Fifth and Final DLC
June 2016 - Fallout Spinoff revealed, in development by Behaviour Interactive.
October 2016 - Fallout Spinoff released for PS4/Xbox One/PC
PROOF:
As I said, ask about me, but don't ask about this. If you do, it will 100% be denied. Bethesda will not comment on rumors.

PS. I leaked some of the first Fallout 4 info by accident, and it ended up in the hands of Kotaku. Oops.

She does say no assets are reused, and it's pretty obvious they are reused in the trailer, so maybe she's a really good liar?

Edit: OML, read the comments, everybody ripped the post apart and really hammered on the things we know are true now.

Yaos fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jun 4, 2015

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
Some of that is probably true, some an educated guess. It doesn't look like F4 is using a brand new engine, and if it is, it seems to be heavily reliant on its immediate predecessor. We'll know when they release gameplay footage. It's crazy to speculate purely on a basis of a reveal trailer.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Yaos posted:

Information about Fallout 4 was leaked 11 months ago and it turns out the leak was true. It's really long so don't be afraid of splitting your pants by going to Reddit.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Fallout/comments/28v2dn/i_played_fallout_4/

She does say no assets are reused, and it's pretty obvious they are reused in the trailer, so maybe she's a really good liar?

Edit: OML, read the comments, everybody ripped the post apart and really hammered on the things we know are true now.

This thing also talks about 360 and PS3 versions being released a year after the 'next gen' version on the old engine too, sure that that makes sense. Totally. Developing them at the same time even!

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

a clown posted:

I was fired for releasing confidential info so im gonna release even more confidential info as revenge. This will surely not affect my position in the industry. I am a smart person

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
the casting documents leaked (which seem to be accurate) called for both male/female VAs for the main character too

sout
Apr 24, 2014

NightVis posted:

the casting documents leaked (which seem to be accurate) called for both male/female VAs for the main character too

If not: somebody will ~elegantly~ pitch shift Troy Baker

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

mackintosh posted:

Some of that is probably true, some an educated guess. It doesn't look like F4 is using a brand new engine, and if it is, it seems to be heavily reliant on its immediate predecessor. We'll know when they release gameplay footage. It's crazy to speculate purely on a basis of a reveal trailer.

It helps if you realize that that piece came several months after the VA Sides leak to Kotaku. That leak revealed the location, several of the factions, the whole soldier/cryonics setup, and a bunch of other stuff.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

NightVis posted:

Maybe Todd Howard got angry at the whole GamerGate thing and demanded the player character only be male.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

Jim Cummings as every character

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

bustin up an enclave base suddenly wonder where goofy and max are

sout
Apr 24, 2014

NightVis posted:

bustin up an enclave base suddenly wonder where goofy and max are

Boston World announced for Kingdom Hearts

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Everything that's been 'leaked' so far that's been corroborated by the trailer has been stuff that people have been assuming was going to be in Fallout 4 since Fallout 3 came out.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Uh, like the character design for the main character? That's something that people thought would be in Fallout 4 since Fallout 3 came out?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Uh, like the character design for the main character? That's something that people thought would be in Fallout 4 since Fallout 3 came out?

Sorry, I should have specified, but when I put 'leaked' in quotes, I meant all the bullshit stuff, that's obviously fake outside of 'it's set in Boston!!! The Insititute!'

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Oh wait, if you mean the Reddit stuff, that's all obviously bullshit. I thought you were talking about Kotaku's leak.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

I really hope it's bullshit, because No Girls Allowed would be pretty dumb.
Also, there's very little evidence that we even get to customise the character: which I guess wouldn't in reality be that big of a deal but would still be lovely.

These weeks of speculation are going to be unbearable.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

sout posted:

Also, there's very little evidence that we even get to customise the character: which I guess wouldn't in reality be that big of a deal but would still be lovely.

Character customization is literally the cornerstone of the genre. Let's not go into full meltdown mode, please.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Oh wait, if you mean the Reddit stuff, that's all obviously bullshit. I thought you were talking about Kotaku's leak.

The Reddit stuff and there's been other similar stuff before.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

mackintosh posted:

Character customization is literally the cornerstone of the genre. Let's not go into full meltdown mode, please.

:unsmith: this is true. Gah, this stuff is all weird, can't wait to actually see some official information.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Yeah, a Bethesda game where you can't play as a woman and they also want to sell mods, not likely

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

strong bird posted:

Reported you loving monster. Enjoy your time in fart gently caress hell. Nobody kills a dog.

what kinda soft serve bitch made princess playthrough did you do in nv?

need dat dog brain for my robo pooch.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
I killed at least two dogs the first time I entered Nipton

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

sout posted:

I really hope it's bullshit, because No Girls Allowed would be pretty dumb.

These weeks of speculation are going to be unbearable.

This is like back when people complained about the look of the player in the Skyrim trailer

Good times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

President Eden was right.

Was President Eden always a Liverpool fan or is that a mod?

edit: Has anyone done a Scouse mod where everyone nicks everything that isn't nailed down and everyone has a perm and a muzzy?

• Locked thread