Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

This is probably not the best thread to ask this, but eh...

I currently drive a 2013 wrx, and today I decided to browse local auto ads and found this:

1985 325 327i, making around 250hp at 5800rpm. Car looks fine from all that I can check online, although owner hasnt anwered what the original mileage is on the car (he said it has around 6k km since last rebuild.
I think I might go look at it this weekend.

Should I sell my car and get this one? I've always wanted an e30...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
327i?

That car looks really good but I've found a lot of the owners with cars that look like that tend to take photos from myspace angles that conveniently miss the tattered interior and rusting sills.

Worth a look though.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

revmoo posted:

327i?

That car looks really good but I've found a lot of the owners with cars that look like that tend to take photos from myspace angles that conveniently miss the tattered interior and rusting sills.

Worth a look though.

Looks like it's a somewhat common upgrade

I believe it's a 325e (M20B27) with the 325i head.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
it doesn't make 250 horsepower though, even being a supereta.

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Looks clean:

According to owner, its been stripped and painted, so there shouldnt be any rust there (have to check). He also sent me the pics of the seats, the leather doesnt have cracks in them. He should be sending me more images when he gets home.

Going to ask for a test drive, I've never driven one of these before. I've always loved the boxy body style, just can't get enough of it.

edit: dyno: 250 best case scenario.. should still be fun to drive!

El Laucha fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jun 2, 2015

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

El Laucha posted:

edit: dyno: 250 best case scenario.. should still be fun to drive!

That seems a little late for torque to be peaking...

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Gorgeous color on that car!

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
The car looks nice and clean but it confuses me how you would get 70 horsepower out of .2 extra liters.

Stock 2.5 M20 makes 170hp in the late/early 90s. I've ridden in a couple superetas and they didn't seem like they had THAT much more power.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Lightbulb Out posted:

The car looks nice and clean but it confuses me how you would get 70 horsepower out of .2 extra liters.

Stock 2.5 M20 makes 170hp in the late/early 90s. I've ridden in a couple superetas and they didn't seem like they had THAT much more power.

It's not making 250 because it's a super eta (eS), the super etas made less power than the M20B25 in the iS cars. This is likely a eS bottom end with an iS head and some other stuff. It's basically a budget 2.7 stroker M20 engine. Eh guess Cornholia covered this...

Either way looks like a fairly clean car but keep in mind it's 25 or whatever years old. Daily driving an E30 is great but you need to realize poo poo will break and you need to be ready to spend time working on it.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I've never seen a stroker dyno anywhere near 250hp. Even the best ones I've seen aren't hitting 200rwhp. That's not to say you can't get high numbers out of small motors (local guy has a 260hp M42) but anywhere over 200hp on an M20 would probably cost more than the car itself.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Crustashio posted:

I've never seen a stroker dyno anywhere near 250hp. Even the best ones I've seen aren't hitting 200rwhp. That's not to say you can't get high numbers out of small motors (local guy has a 260hp M42) but anywhere over 200hp on an M20 would probably cost more than the car itself.

Yeah, that is really suspicious. Getting over 200hp on an M20 requires FI or an insane custom buildout.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

Jealous Cow posted:

Yeah, that is really suspicious. Getting over 200hp on an M20 requires FI or an insane custom buildout.

Whoops wrong thread.

Yeah, those numbers are very suspicious, even for bhp.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Maybe it has a stroked m50/52?

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
M5x strokers are usually 3L aren't they? M54 crank (90mm stroke) with 84mm pistons.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Wished I could have captured it in a photo but on my way to work today I saw an E36 with very badly aligned badges on the trunk lid: left side was an //M badge and the right side had a '540ci' badge, with the numbers and letters on the right badge not lined up well with each other.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

HotCanadianChick posted:

Wished I could have captured it in a photo but on my way to work today I saw an E36 with very badly aligned badges on the trunk lid: left side was an //M badge and the right side had a '540ci' badge, with the numbers and letters on the right badge not lined up well with each other.

Speaking of cars that don't exist, I curse BMW every day that they didn't build an E39-based coupe.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Like, one curse for each day in that time period?

:v:

Ormy
Apr 5, 2005

the milk machine posted:

Oh right, haha. It was dark and still raining by the time I got home, so I just rehosted these from the dealer's website.

It's a 2001 (9/2000 build), and I'm the second owner and it has 58k miles. The interior is nearly new looking, and the only typical E39 or M5 problem is dead pixels in the cluster display and a very faint VANOS rattle on a cold start that goes away pretty quickly.

I traded in a 2010 Audi S4, and this thing is both more fun and more comfortable at the same time. I'm very excited.

Edit: I'd really hate to drill into the front bumper to mount a front plate (stupid Virginia)... can anyone recommend a bracket or something? I would just chance it, but I use the toll roads around here enough that I'd just get busted eventually.

Congrats, it's lovely! And yes, tunnels are the best thing. Gonna get rid of the mufflers?

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

A few weeks ago I saw the same blue colored BMW 3 blocks away from where I live, I had to slow down to appreciate the car. Turns out its the same car... went over yesterday to see it up close. Saturday I'll be checking it with the owner. For the asking price, I suspect it does have some extra engine work, I guess we'll find out in a few days.

Pierced Bronson
Dec 26, 2011

shooting laser guns
and eating pussy

Aren't the bumpers supposed to be unpainted stainless steel with a rubber strip? or is that a u.s. only thing

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Pierced Bronson posted:

Aren't the bumpers supposed to be unpainted stainless steel with a rubber strip? or is that a u.s. only thing

The diving boards are a US thing.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

HotCanadianChick posted:

The diving boards are a US thing.

Even so, it has plastic bumpers on it - which are from 89-91's.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Ormy posted:

Congrats, it's lovely! And yes, tunnels are the best thing. Gonna get rid of the mufflers?

Thanks, I'm a big fan. Hopefully this summer, plus maybe an x-pipe.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

After racing the E30 race car all weekend (2400lb, M20) I took the M3 out for a shakedown run before the E30 meet this weekend. That car is properly loving fast as long as you stay above 4500 rpm. I need to get it on the track.

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005
Today has been the most perfect day I have ever seen
I'm looking for an E90/E92 M3, 40K or under, can anyone think of a reason why I shouldn't buy any one of the cars below?

http://goo.gl/vFveW2 (this is my top pick, low miles, no iDrive)

http://goo.gl/Ic2Njv (low miles, sedan, no iDrive)

http://goo.gl/tC9av5 (2011, low miles, wheels and options)

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

BusinessWallet posted:

I'm looking for an E90/E92 M3, 40K or under, can anyone think of a reason why I shouldn't buy any one of the cars below?

http://goo.gl/vFveW2 (this is my top pick, low miles, no iDrive)

http://goo.gl/Ic2Njv (low miles, sedan, no iDrive)

http://goo.gl/tC9av5 (2011, low miles, wheels and options)

They are all boring colors.

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005
I'm pretty settled on the first car, however in the carfax it's listed that it was purchased at auction. Also, I noticed that it has a lovely CAI on it, is that concerning?

Carfax: http://goo.gl/LIVcLO

The only other car I found that's decent under 40K is the one below, but that's at the top end of my budget and has stupid iDrive.

http://goo.gl/u7dY8M

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BraveUlysses posted:

Not the most scientific but an infrared thermometer gun could tell you if one rotor is hotter than the other

Well, bought an IR temp gun on the way home from work. Avoided using the brakes pulling into my driveway and found that both rear rotors were about the same temperature but up front I had 230* on the driver side and about 205* on the passenger side. Consistent with the direction of pull. Guess I'll pull the wheel off and see if I can clean the caliper out tomorrow.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Come on guys, the superETA stroker is a well-documented thing.

No, it does not make 250 hp. Yes, it is awesome as gently caress and I highly recommenced it and I'm going to drive my open header-ed one to work tomorrow so long as it doesn't rain because :getin:

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

BlackMK4 posted:

Well, bought an IR temp gun on the way home from work. Avoided using the brakes pulling into my driveway and found that both rear rotors were about the same temperature but up front I had 230* on the driver side and about 205* on the passenger side. Consistent with the direction of pull. Guess I'll pull the wheel off and see if I can clean the caliper out tomorrow.
30° F? difference isn't much, and according to old timers at a shop I worked at, the driver side brakes wear faster because of you sitting on that side. Maybe it's bullshit but I don't know.

Do a hard stop(s) and check temps again.

SuperDucky posted:

Come on guys, the superETA stroker is a well-documented thing.

No, it does not make 250 hp. Yes, it is awesome as gently caress and I highly recommenced it and I'm going to drive my open header-ed one to work tomorrow so long as it doesn't rain because :getin:
I've ridden in a track prepped coupé e30 with a "budget" stroker that had high compression pistons, full exhaust, intake, and a "custom" tune. It was wonderful and pulled great.

From what I understand, even m30 guys struggle to hit those numbers NA. S50B30s require cams, intake/maf, headers, and a tune for about 250whp (almost $4k in parts alone for decent stuff).

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

BusinessWallet posted:

I'm pretty settled on the first car, however in the carfax it's listed that it was purchased at auction. Also, I noticed that it has a lovely CAI on it, is that concerning?

Carfax: http://goo.gl/LIVcLO

Not so fast. Look at the carfax. Did you notice how there's less than 10 miles put on it in the last year? Do you wonder why?

This is a perfect example of why Carfax is only ONE point of data, but doesn't show the history of the car. Autocheck picked something up that you may find interesting:

http://imgur.com/a/QDbbX

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005
Jesus, thanks for the head's up. Seems impossible to find a reliable example of this car for less than 40K.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

BusinessWallet posted:

Jesus, thanks for the head's up. Seems impossible to find a reliable example of this car for less than 40K.

That's life's way of telling you that you should really be looking for an E46 M3 (god's own true M3) instead. :getin:

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

BusinessWallet posted:

My GTI got t-boned sitting in a parking lot and took like $8k of bodywork to fix which was done at a reputable shop through my insurance.

Carfax: clean. No accidents.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

mafoose posted:

30° F? difference isn't much, and according to old timers at a shop I worked at, the driver side brakes wear faster because of you sitting on that side. Maybe it's bullshit but I don't know.

Do a hard stop(s) and check temps again.
Did a decent stop - 300f on both fronts. Brought it into the driveway with light braking and the left rotor was hotter again. I don't know what else it could be at this point. :lol:

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Does Carfax have any type of incentive to report clean histories? I don't know how they make money aside from people purchasing reports. I guess some dealerships offer Carfax reports for all their used cars (I know Carmax does) but I don't know how that is arranged.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

BusinessWallet posted:

Break your budget and go look on BMWCCA classifieds, and when looking at cars at Non-BMW dealers.............avoid any cars that were ever in Texas or Florida.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Chemmy posted:

My GTI got t-boned sitting in a parking lot and took like $8k of bodywork to fix which was done at a reputable shop through my insurance.

Carfax: clean. No accidents.

how long after the accident did you check? there can be a delay in reporting for up to 2 years

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Hmm, well, there is a tight spot when you turn the rotor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0vcX2NoBao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

BraveUlysses posted:

how long after the accident did you check? there can be a delay in reporting for up to 2 years

I sold it to a dealer and they gave me a copy of the Carfax, but something like five years.