Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
animations are mostly artist based and not engine based

also i tried google image searching "skyrim animations" and got a lot of skyrim beastiality animations :psyduck:

[edit] lol http://i.imgur.com/gu4c2Zo.gif

Skyrim modders are something special

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Zzulu posted:

animations are mostly artist based and not engine based

also i tried google image searching "skyrim animations" and got a lot of skyrim beastiality animations :psyduck:

Mods are bad, man. Mods are bad. Come over to the game mods thread we have sights for you to see.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
I'm pretty sure the creation engine is built on top of gamebryo, it's not uncommon practice

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Proposition Joe posted:

It was cool to see a glimpse of Scollay Square in the trailer. I'm wondering if the Combat District is going to be in the game as well?

Combat Zone.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Only raider scum play Fallout games on consoles.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Not quite as excited for this as I am for the new XCom but they're both gonna be great and I will need to seal myself away from my family for a while.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

So fallout Oblivion and Fallout 3 were made with the Gamebryo engine, and it's bad at animations and it was already too old when 3 came out, etc etc.. So then Skryim comes out with a new engine, apparently called the Creation Engine, and it looks way better, especially in animations, and all my friends have spent years saying "can't wait for Fallout in the Skyrim engine".

So why does this trailer look like it was made in the Gamebryo engine? I can't be, it just can't be.

Except that This page suggests that yes I'm not crazy and they're going to release a gamebryo engine in 2015. What? Why? What FPS company ever has gone through the trouble of making a new game engine, then go back and release their next game in the previous generations engine? gently caress, gently caress.

I mean, gently caress, I'll play it, and I'll have a good time but...but drat Bethesda, really?

Edit - I mean really I just wanted Bethesda to do the heavy lifting on a Creation Engine fallout so that then the New Vegas guys could make a game from it.

gamebryo isn't necessarily bad in itself; most of the issues people blame on it can be laid squarely at the door of bethesda's ropey programming, animation work and QA testing. rest assured that if they moved to a new engine it'd likely be worse, and the wait between games would be longer. also creation engine is gamebryo numbnuts!

to skyrim's credit the movement feels a lot better than fo3 (i.e. not as horrible and floaty) and the game as a whole is far more stable, even when loaded down with 100 4K textured horse dong mods. if it continues the trajectory from fo3 to skyrim it could maybe even feel... dare i say it... dece? there's bound to be somem under the hood improvements at any rate to take advantage of the new consoles

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jun 4, 2015

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Lastgirl posted:

call me cynical but Fallout 4 doesn't look very impressive thus yet

I'm surprised that Bethesda could manage to model a german shepard dog and manage to make it look like poo poo still.

Actually no I'm not surprised.

Although when it is mod friendly it might be interesting, but I will probably suffer the skyrim syndrome whereas modding the game would be more fun than playing it

and skyrim was loving shallow, lets not kid yourselves

Yea the trailer looks like poo poo, the mans face in trailer looks like poo poo. I wonder if its some limited because it was designed for last gen consoles thing or what. I wonder if its an issue of game being in development for too long. That might also suggest why its in Gamebryo and not the engine Skyrim was in which was just an updated Gamebryo anyways wasn't it?

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jun 4, 2015

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Well I don't know about y'all but if those rumours are even half true I am loving hyped for this. It looks hopeful that they are developing some of the strong themes of the terribly undercooked F3 story (BOS remaining totally hostile/mysterious until the endgame ensuring appropriate grind/difficulty scaling, Dr. Li :swoon: (I was convinced she was having an affair with Daddy which is why he abandoned you), water as a central theme etc.

I never really understood the majority of criticisms levelled at F3, then again I never played Oblivion so I was more forgiving of Gamebryos faults from the outset. Or I just love the brown+green filter and art deco but it always looked better than NV imo which was going for a less totalitarian more vibrant 50s aesthetic which always seemed weird to me. The Mojave just felt rushed, The NPR/Roman/Cowboy factions didn't fit the post-apoc atmosphere compared with BOS/Raiders/Ghouls/Slavers imo. There were several mods for F3 which pushed it ahead of NV in particular the interior lighting mod (I loved the metros/underground integral to any nuclear holocaust existence), the Wanderers Editon alternative start mod to get rid of most of the starting story etc., and the Ironsights mod, which delivered the main advantage of NV anyway.

Modded F3 on PC was beautiful https://www.flickr.com/photos/83889674@N02/sets/72157630926518440

Having said that:

we are not off to a promising start

Flaky fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 4, 2015

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
game is going to look sweet on PC with some mods

its going to look bad everywhere else

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Generic Monk posted:

gamebryo isn't necessarily bad in itself; most of the issues people blame on it can be laid squarely at the door of bethesda's ropey programming, animation work and QA testing. rest assured that if they moved to a new engine it'd likely be worse, and the wait between games would be longer.

Well, that is actually reassuring. Also, It seemed like the animations for the for the mutants coming at your in the super market were way better than the pre war evacuation. I mean, really, it's the pre war scenes that look bad. The shots of the main game world are actually awesome - and the lighting and colors look GREAT.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Reason posted:

Yea the trailer looks like poo poo, the mans face in trailer looks like poo poo. I wonder if its some limited because it was designed for last gen consoles thing or what. I wonder if its an issue of game being in development for too long. That might also suggest why its in Gamebryo and not the engine Skyrim was in which was just an updated Gamebryo anyways wasn't it?

The trailer looks good overall; the main issue graphically is how lowres and flat everything looks up close. Most noticeable on the dog.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Well, that is actually reassuring. Also, It seemed like the animations for the for the mutants coming at your in the super market were way better than the pre war evacuation. I mean, really, it's the pre war scenes that look bad. The shots of the main game world are actually awesome - and the lighting and colors look GREAT.

i'd call it less reassuring since they have a pretty poor track record with adding polish that literally everyone wants. they did add diagonal running animations in skyrim though so the flame of hope still burns within me

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jun 4, 2015

Dead.juice
Dec 14, 2011

Sexier than assless chaps
Trailer looks great. But I long for the day when Bethesda finds a solution for this:
"Oh hey, You've reached the end of the starting dungeon! Look at that bright awesome world outside. Now, you TECHNICALLY can walk off in any direction and kiiinnnnd of start your own adventure... after you stop at the new guy town/only town in miles, and do several quest. "

I want to deal with everything in the starting area, and then be dumped out into the world with three or more small towns in every direction around me that I can randomly stumble on after having explored for a bit, that feel different from each other, and that help push me in entirely different directions than the other towns.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Eonwe posted:

game is going to look sweet on PC with some mods

its going to look bad everywhere else

p much

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Yeah I agree, the prewar stuff all looks bad but I think the rest looks okay. Maybe they did the prewar scenes in a rush for the trailer

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Sharkopath posted:

Hello, cynical.

:wave:

a lot of the footage looks alpha tier.

Or maybe we've been spoiled by skyrim mods for years on terms of graphical update that when they launched the fallout 4 trailer, it's a step up from skyrim but still looks odd because modders have been outdoing bethesda on that level.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Zzulu posted:

Yeah I agree, the prewar stuff all looks bad but I think the rest looks okay. Maybe they did the prewar scenes in a rush for the trailer

Yeah they've been working on this game for 4+ years they sure are rushing this :rolleyes:

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Dead.juice posted:

Trailer looks great. But I long for the day when Bethesda finds a solution for this:
"Oh hey, You've reached the end of the starting dungeon! Look at that bright awesome world outside. Now, you TECHNICALLY can walk off in any direction and kiiinnnnd of start your own adventure... after you stop at the new guy town/only town in miles, and do several quest. "

I want to deal with everything in the starting area, and then be dumped out into the world with three or more small towns in every direction around me that I can randomly stumble on after having explored for a bit, that feel different from each other, and that help push me in entirely different directions than the other towns.

well you literally can just gently caress off and do your own thing in any bethesda game the moment you finish the prologue. that being said in FO3 there was kind of a dearth of quest hubs so megaton was pushed much more heavily than in their other games. a more directed experience which gradually directs you to new parts of the map and different quest hubs is present in new vegas though

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Jack B Nimble posted:

So fallout Oblivion and Fallout 3 were made with the Gamebryo engine, and it's bad at animations and it was already too old when 3 came out, etc etc.. So then Skryim comes out with a new engine, apparently called the Creation Engine, and it looks way better, especially in animations, and all my friends have spent years saying "can't wait for Fallout in the Skyrim engine".

So why does this trailer look like it was made in the Gamebryo engine? I can't be, it just can't be.

Except that This page suggests that yes I'm not crazy and they're going to release a gamebryo engine in 2015. What? Why? What FPS company ever has gone through the trouble of making a new game engine------WebKitFormBoundaryxjF9b5m0qQh4Qh0B
Content-Disposition: form-data; ine? gently caress, gently caress.

I mean, gently caress, I'll play it, and I'll have a good time but...but drat Bethesda, really?

Edit - I mean really I just wanted Bethesda to do the heavy lifting on a Creation Engine fallout so that then the New Vegas guys could make a game from it.

"Bethesda should get full marks for releasing a trailer featuring representative graphics from the game, even if their graphics are dated. How brave of them!" :downsgun:

Yes, thank you bethesda for not brazenly lying to us; therefore you are exempt from criticism. Talk about abused spouse syndrome...

Story/sandbox is important-don't get me wrong-but I don't think it's too much to ask for some iota of improvement in character models/animation after nearly a decade since their last game in the series.
Count me in the "barring major improvements, I may pick this up 4-6 months after launch during a sale and after the inevitable 15 patches required to make it playable" camp.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jun 4, 2015

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Honestly the only part of the trailer that looked bad to me was the guy and the dog at the end. I mean yeah I wasn't amazed but the shots otherwise looked decent.

My only real concern is that I might have to hang out with that dog.

gently caress dogs.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Ahundredbux posted:

I'm pretty sure the creation engine is built on top of gamebryo, it's not uncommon practice
It is. There's zero question about this. Skyrim's Creation engine reused code from Bethesda previous engine. And yeah it is common practice. No one in their right mind throws away old code and start wasting time & resources reïnventing the wheel after all.

Generic Monk posted:

gamebryo isn't necessarily bad in itself; most of the issues people blame on it can be laid squarely at the door of bethesda's ropey programming, animation work and QA testing. rest assured that if they moved to a new engine it'd likely be worse, and the wait between games would be longer.
Gamebryo - not Bethesda's creation, but the thing that you can license - indeed not bad. It's actually decent. Note that Gamebryo is often referred to as a game engine (pretty sure it's also marketted as such), but it's really not. It's a suite of code libraries that's not much more then a graphics renderer.
The developer still needs to add all of the other stuff that goes into a game engine like AI, animation, gameplay logic, etc, etc. If you take the game engine that was used for Oblivion, then Gamebryo is in there somewhere doing its thing, but it's burried under layers and layers of Bethesda's own wonky spaghetti code.
For some dumb reason probably related to licencing a lot of game engines that use Gamebryo are called "Gamebryo" as well which has resulted in a lot of confusion on the Internet (Oblivion, Civ4, Playboy: The Mansion and Epic Mickey don't all use the same engine) and people blaming Gamebryo for the problems Bethesda's lovely QA and wonky spaghetti code caused.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

i guarantee you this is garbage to look at in motion/play even without the letterboxing

Raygereio posted:

It is. There's zero question about this. Skyrim's Creation engine reused code from Bethesda previous engine. And yeah it is common practice. No one in their right mind throws away old code and start wasting time & resources reïnventing the wheel after all.

Gamebryo - not Bethesda's creation, but the thing that you can license - indeed not bad. It's actually decent. Note that Gamebryo is often referred to as a game engine (pretty sure it's also marketted as such), but it's really not. It's a suite of code libraries that's not much more then a graphics renderer.
The developer still needs to add all of the other stuff that goes into a game engine like AI, animation, gameplay logic, etc, etc. If you take the game engine that was used for Oblivion, then Gamebryo is in there somewhere doing its thing, but it's burried under layers and layers of Bethesda's own wonky spaghetti code.
For some dumb reason probably related to licencing a lot of game engines that use Gamebryo are called "Gamebryo" as well which has resulted in a lot of confusion on the Internet (Oblivion, Civ4, Playboy: The Mansion and Epic Mickey don't all use the same engine) and people blaming Gamebryo for the problems Bethesda's lovely QA and wonky spaghetti code caused.

tempted to put this in the op

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Caidin posted:

Honestly the only part of the trailer that looked bad to me was the guy and the dog at the end. I mean yeah I wasn't amazed but the shots otherwise looked decent.

My only real concern is that I might have to hang out with that dog.

gently caress dogs.

Just shoot the dog then.
*Dog is unconscious*

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Generic Monk posted:

i guarantee you this is garbage to look at in motion/play even without the letterboxing

I think I'll stick with vanilla if this is what the mods do.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Raygereio posted:

There's a reason why I call it "Bethesda's logic engine"

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The dog will follow you around and auto-scavenge cool stuff for you, fight enemies with you and bark real loud if it finds a hidden entrance to some cool place. You and the dog will become best buds, he will be the only friend you truly trust in this broken world. Then the bad guy will kill your dog :(

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Zzulu posted:

The dog will follow you around and auto-scavenge cool stuff for you, fight enemies with you and bark real loud if it finds a hidden entrance to some cool place. You and the dog will become best buds, he will be the only friend you truly trust in this broken world. Then the bad guy will kill your dog :(

If Bethesda wants me to give a poo poo about animal companions they should have given me a gecko.

A radscorpion or yau guai would also be acceptable.

Caidin fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 4, 2015

Torgo2727
Oct 24, 2004
Taking Care of the Place While the Master Is Away
I have some friends that were excited about the trailer, and, in order to hype themselves for Fallout 4, are playing New Vegas. :allears:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Torgo2727 posted:

I have some friends that were excited about the trailer, and, in order to hype themselves for Fallout 4, are playing New Vegas. :allears:

I mean yeah why not? Playing that WOULD make you more excited if you didn't remember they aren't developed by the same people. It's probably better they remain ignorant. They probably love Fallout 3 just the same, though.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
They wont be need to take cues from New Vegas. I think they also need to take cues from The Witcher and really any sort of action oriented RPG put out between New Vegas and now.

they won't tho

Testicle Masochist
Oct 13, 2012

Lolling at Steam wanting to charge me $103 AUD for a digital edition of the game. I'm sure closer to release date there'll be physical collectors editions at similar (or just a bit more) prices.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Generic Monk posted:

I got pretty close with no problems

Flaky fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 4, 2015

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Eonwe posted:

They wont be need to take cues from New Vegas. I think they also need to take cues from The Witcher and really any sort of action oriented RPG put out between New Vegas and now.

they won't tho

I'm sure they have taken cues from Mass Effect's ending.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Caidin posted:

gently caress dogs.

With the power of modding that'll be possible my friend

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich
This is the only game I would buy a PS4 for.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Torgo2727 posted:

Good idea, that's a good game. Better than Fallout 3 imo.
I'm cautiously optimistic for 4, could be worse than NV and still be pretty fun.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

sout posted:

Good idea, that's a good game. Better than Fallout 3 imo.
I'm cautiously optimistic for 4, could be worse than NV and still be pretty fun.

I just started playing it for the first time and think I prefer 3 more as is, so far. Mostly because I think goodsprings and the surrounding desert isnt as interesting as fallout 3s intro but also because I think its weird that before even leaving the doctors shack you already have four sets of full condition armor and like ten weapons.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

I just started playing it for the first time and think I prefer 3 more as is, so far. Mostly because I think goodsprings and the surrounding desert isnt as interesting as fallout 3s intro but also because I think its weird that before even leaving the doctors shack you already have four sets of full condition armor and like ten weapons.

p2w ftw

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Sharkopath posted:

I think that's with the DLC? Truth be told I don't think I ever had that, and if I did I disabled it, seemed like a dumb idea to me to mess up the balance of the game from the start.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Generic Monk posted:

gamebryo isn't necessarily bad in itself; most of the issues people blame on it can be laid squarely at the door of bethesda's ropey programming, animation work and QA testing. rest assured that if they moved to a new engine it'd likely be worse, and the wait between games would be longer. also creation engine is gamebryo numbnuts!

to skyrim's credit the movement feels a lot better than fo3 (i.e. not as horrible and floaty) and the game as a whole is far more stable, even when loaded down with 100 4K textured horse dong mods. if it continues the trajectory from fo3 to skyrim it could maybe even feel... dare i say it... dece? there's bound to be somem under the hood improvements at any rate to take advantage of the new consoles

One thing that is the engine's fault and they should somehow fix is how they render things and with it, how loading screens are used.

Bethesda games, as far as I know, load everything and renders everything at once, while other open world games nowadays load while you play, which is alright if the system can handle it.
They also really like detailed indoors areas, which is why they make all indoors their own zone.

It's still up in the air how they did it this time, I know they kept saying in interviews that they wanted to work on next gen titles just to fix these issues and they were even hiring people specializing in this back in the day.

Torgo2727 posted:

That's what I'm doing as well, but mostly because I never finished New Vegas and the DLCs are the best part.

I'm also planning on playing through the other 3 games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sout
Apr 24, 2014

As soon as the latest waves of rumors (that Linkedin thing) started up I decided to go through the old ones having never played Fallout 1 and 2, beat the first one and will probably start 2 soonish, even though 4 is gunna be nothing like the Interplay ones.
Plus, finally get to see what's so un-Fallout about 3.

• Locked thread