Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

vulturesrow posted:

What size pack would be good considering I probably won't be doing anything over a weekend any time soon?

45 to 65 liters is typical for a weekend pack. Go on the small end if you want to be encouraged to bring only the necessities, go larger if you want to do longer trips eventually. If you choose to go minimal or to invest in good compressible gear, 45L can feel roomy for a weekend trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

vulturesrow posted:

Thanks for writing that post. What size pack would be good considering I probably won't be doing anything over a weekend any time soon?

What trails in the Pasayten are you looking at?

That looks amazing.

Yeah I've been perusing it and it is definitely helpful. I'm just looking for personal recommendations to supplement the info I've been able to find.
Numbered for not particular reason. I assume you're talking from Seattle metro area:
1) Get a 35 - 50 liter pack, overly large for a dayhike, but you'll be able to fit overnight gear in there when you get to that point
2) Try lurking on nwhikers.net, which is a great local resource for hiking/backpacking trip ideas, and one of the better hiking forums out there.
3) Recommended: All the above recommendations are good. I'd say at least make a goal to do the section of the PCT from Stevens > Snoqualmie Pass. It's fairly easy, easy to travel to, and you can have someone drop you off and pick you up at each trailhead. You should get this exact book for ideas, it is great: http://www.amazon.com/100-Hikes-Washingtons-Alpine-Lakes/dp/089886707X

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

OSU_Matthew posted:

That is patently false
:colbert:

Also the number one reason I want a pup, to take with me backpacking.

http://m.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/hiking-dogs.html

Some confusion there. I meant specific to these dogs. The one could outwalk/outrun us all for days, but the other gives up after 2 miles and has to be carried for the next hour. That's after he takes a dirtbath rest for 10 minutes and rubs it all over you.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

So last September I hiked Commonwealth Creek here in Kananaskis. Decided to go there again on Tuesday with a friend.

We were going to do King Creek Canyon but it was raining and the limestone was too slippery so we decided against it.

So we went to Commonwealth instead. A gorgeous area but this time of year is basically slogging through mud. The parks have a warning on the trail due to conditions, and we went as far as we could until we encountered a steep section of basically 2 feet deep snow surrounded by ice sitting on mud that we weren't prepared for. We could have gotten up, but coming down would have been a challenge.

Even with some snow at elevation, and a bunch of mud, it's ridiculously dry right now. Usually this area is completely filled with a few feet of snow this time of year. This particular spot:

still had a lot of snow at the end of summer last year. There was a snow bridge over the waterfall that was thick enough we could walk across, and it was easily 2-3 feet deep in places. And now, in late spring, there's barely any snow to even start with. I anticipate forest fire and water shortage issues later this year.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Vulturesrow: normally I'd say 50ish, add others said, as that will take you up to several-day trips and encourage you to learn to pack light. But are you going to be going on backpacking trips with your kids? Are they old enough to carry much or are you going to be carrying a significant amount of their stuff?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
On the topic of packs, I have been eying this Osprey Kestrel 48. I have a super tiny Osprey pack I use for day hikes and fishing trips and I couldn't be more happy with it.

I think I will be doing mostly overnights and plan on not using a tent so I want a smaller pack. I am also a big over-packer so having a hard limit will be helpful. The only multiple night trip I foresee is on a trail with many opportunities to restock food and water along the way.

Any of you all have an opinion on this?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Seems fine for an overnight or couple of day pack depending on how you pack. Probably could be considered overkill for overnight really but that really depends on how much stuff you pack. Sometimes it's nice to have that extra space instead of cramming everything into something that just barely fits. Osprey makes good traditional packs that are comfortable and have a lot of bells and whistles

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

bunnielab posted:

On the topic of packs, I have been eying this Osprey Kestrel 48. I have a super tiny Osprey pack I use for day hikes and fishing trips and I couldn't be more happy with it.

I think I will be doing mostly overnights and plan on not using a tent so I want a smaller pack. I am also a big over-packer so having a hard limit will be helpful. The only multiple night trip I foresee is on a trail with many opportunities to restock food and water along the way.

Any of you all have an opinion on this?

That's the exact pack I have, and i couldn't be happier. Or, the only way i could be happier is if it had adjustable rear straps on the lid so i could jam larger stuff under there. But it's great, and I've used it for up to 4 day trips.

Bonus: it fits perfectly into airplane overhead bins. It's my only luggage I own for when I do non-hiking travel, too.

Also osprey has implemented a retroactive lifetime no questions warranty since I bought mine :toot:

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Picnic Princess posted:

So last September I hiked Commonwealth Creek here in Kananaskis. Decided to go there again on Tuesday with a friend.

We were going to do King Creek Canyon but it was raining and the limestone was too slippery so we decided against it.

You're in British Columbia right? Every time you post photos it looks amazing. I have to get some time clear to go up there one summer and spend a month. Instead I'm stuck in Minnesota and Alaska until winter.

If you were headed up there for the first time what areas would you recommend exploring first?

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Ultimate Direction makes a Fastpack 30 which sizes anywhere from 20-30L depending on how much you roll it down. I really like UD's running vests with the shoulder'mounted bottle holders and wraparound design. I've been thinking of getting one of these for small overnight trips to really challenge myself to go small.

They also make a Fastpack 20, but I think that's smaller than I want. I already have one of their 11L running packs for day hikes.

whatupdet
Aug 13, 2004

I'm sorry John, I don't remember
This is a pretty active thread, hoping I can get clothes suggestions.

I just bought an Arc'teryx Alpha SL jacket (good price, light weight, packable, wicked colour and my first goretex jacket) to use for hiking. Was it a good choice or should I return for something else?

Last year I decided that I would hike rain or shine and went on a strenuous 16km hike with my friend in the rain and I got soaked head to toe which definitely started to annoy me towards the end. Granted at the time I only wore a water resistant (DWR) jacket but I had a pair of North Face Hyvent rain pants and waterproof hikers. I'm not sure if my legs were wet from sweating or the rain itself and I'm confident my feet got wet where the bottoms of the pants touched/dripped onto the top of my socks/hikers and gradually started to soak down through as there was a lot of tall wet grass we walked through.

I plan to do more hiking this year and wanted recommendations on good waterproof/breathable hiking pants?

Finally, how much water do most of you carry on single day hikes? Most of the hikes I do are 10-20km and moderate-strenuous, I'd typically take 2-3 1L water bottles which is probably excessive and unnecessary weight. I'm a big guy (250lbs) and sweat a lot, even when it's cool/cold.

Thanks

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

BaseballPCHiker posted:

You're in British Columbia right? Every time you post photos it looks amazing. I have to get some time clear to go up there one summer and spend a month. Instead I'm stuck in Minnesota and Alaska until winter.

If you were headed up there for the first time what areas would you recommend exploring first?

She's located in Calgary I believe but the Rockies there are between BC and Alberta basically so I'm sure you could access them from the BC side as well

Hungryjack posted:

Ultimate Direction makes a Fastpack 30 which sizes anywhere from 20-30L depending on how much you roll it down. I really like UD's running vests with the shoulder'mounted bottle holders and wraparound design. I've been thinking of getting one of these for small overnight trips to really challenge myself to go small.

They also make a Fastpack 20, but I think that's smaller than I want. I already have one of their 11L running packs for day hikes.

I have a GoLite day pack that's just under 20L that I got on clearance and am tempted to try it on a summer overnight at some point...the trick would be shelter since taking my regular tent probably wouldn't fit

whatupdet posted:

I plan to do more hiking this year and wanted recommendations on good waterproof/breathable hiking pants?

Finally, how much water do most of you carry on single day hikes? Most of the hikes I do are 10-20km and moderate-strenuous, I'd typically take 2-3 1L water bottles which is probably excessive and unnecessary weight. I'm a big guy (250lbs) and sweat a lot, even when it's cool/cold.

Thanks

Where do you live and is it usually wet out there? Waterproof + breathable is always kind of tough and it's quite easy to get very sweaty instead of rain soaked, especially depending on the temperature. I think a lot of people just use some quick drying nylon hiking pants and maybe use something like a rain kilt to help keep their legs dry if they need it.

2-3 liters for a 20km hike isn't too much IMO though again it probably depends some on the weather and temperature. If your hikes are near decent water sources you could just take a squeeze filter or some water treatment to fill up your bottle on the regular rather than packing a bunch with you.

Levitate fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jun 4, 2015

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

whatupdet posted:

This is a pretty active thread, hoping I can get clothes suggestions.

I just bought an Arc'teryx Alpha SL jacket (good price, light weight, packable, wicked colour and my first goretex jacket) to use for hiking. Was it a good choice or should I return for something else?

Last year I decided that I would hike rain or shine and went on a strenuous 16km hike with my friend in the rain and I got soaked head to toe which definitely started to annoy me towards the end. Granted at the time I only wore a water resistant (DWR) jacket but I had a pair of North Face Hyvent rain pants and waterproof hikers. I'm not sure if my legs were wet from sweating or the rain itself and I'm confident my feet got wet where the bottoms of the pants touched/dripped onto the top of my socks/hikers and gradually started to soak down through as there was a lot of tall wet grass we walked through.

Thanks

No matter how much you spend you will eventually sweat out in any rain gear if you keep on hiking. Doesn't matter the brand, material, price, etc it's going to happen. With that said I approach rain gear as more of temperature regulator than anything. If it's the rain comes and goes quickly you'll be fine but if you are out in the rain for a longer period of time the rain gear is basically used to keep you warm. All that said Marmot's PreCip pants work well. I've also got a pair of Carhartt rain pants that do the job.

One area where hunting clothing really has hiking clothing beat is in rain gear that's almost silent. In the future I think I'll start wearing my dorky camo rain pants. The swish swish swish is enough to drive you nuts sometimes.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...

whatupdet posted:

A waterproof but breathable jacket like the Arc'teryx you bought will help a lot with staying dry, though as you say, sweating might be an issue. I think when walking in continuous rain you can't realistically stay 100% dry. So wearing a waterproof jacket and quick-drying pants might just be what it comes down to. Gaiters might solve the wet feet, but once your softshell pants start to get really wet, water will wick onto your socks and into your shoes. That's where trail runners are a better choice as they dry out way faster than waterproof boots. Bottom line is: if you can't stay dry, at least make sure you get dry quickly once the rain lets up.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Just to add to the rain discussion. I was once on a moose hunting trip that lasted 6 days and it rained the ENTIRE time. We were on 4 wheelers for a great deal of time so I opted for the heavy duty Helly Hansen rain gear that you see commercial fisherman use. I was wearing HH overalls, a coat, and neoprene boots along with a wide brimmed hat. To their credit I stayed pretty dry until about day 4. After that all of the sweat and body heat just made me clamy and wet. So yeah, basically there is no escaping it. Just relent and do the best you can.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Also you really want gaiters to go with those rain paints if you're going to spend any real amount of time trudging through the rain/mud.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

alnilam posted:

That's the exact pack I have, and i couldn't be happier. Or, the only way i could be happier is if it had adjustable rear straps on the lid so i could jam larger stuff under there. But it's great, and I've used it for up to 4 day trips.

Bonus: it fits perfectly into airplane overhead bins. It's my only luggage I own for when I do non-hiking travel, too.

Also osprey has implemented a retroactive lifetime no questions warranty since I bought mine :toot:

Awesome guys, thanks for the info. I am some what bag/pack obsessed and tend to buy them for specific tasks, so I have no problem having a small, medium, and large hiking pack eventually.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Rain gear is for keeping you warm.

This goon is correct. Rain gear is pointless for keeping you dry assuming you're actually hiking. Sure, you can keep the rain off but you're going to be dripping in your own sweat. Besides, I never could figure out how to keep my shoes from getting soaked, and thats all that really matters. I've no idea how gaiters are going to keep your shoes dry after 8 hours of walking through the river that the trail has become. On my AT thruhike I ditched all of my rain gear in mid-May. Just let yourself get wet and make sure you're wearing shoes and clothes that dry quickly.

I suppose the exception is if its really cold out and you're hiking. In which case rain gear may be a necessity. Just deal with the sweat and make drat sure you have a pair of dry camp clothes.

Comatoast fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jun 4, 2015

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Comatoast posted:

This goon is correct. Rain gear is pointless for keeping you dry assuming you're actually hiking. Sure, you can keep the rain off but you're going to be dripping in your own sweat. Besides, I never could figure out how to keep my shoes from getting soaked, and thats all that really matters. On my AT thruhike I ditched all of my rain gear in mid-May. Just let yourself get wet and make sure you're wearing shoes and clothes that dry quickly.

After it warmed up on the AT, my wife said rain was basically just a chance for a shower (she did the first 400-ish miles)

quote:

I suppose the exception is if its really cold out and you're hiking. In which case you just deal with the sweat and make drat sure you have a pair of dry camp clothes.

But yeah most of my experience with rain equipment has been of the general 'emergency' type where it's good to keep you as dry as possible in a cold rain for a relatively short period of time so you don't end up soaked and freezing. Bonus is most rain jackets can double as an OK wind breaker if you need it.

whatupdet
Aug 13, 2004

I'm sorry John, I don't remember

Levitate posted:

Where do you live and is it usually wet out there.

2-3 liters for a 20km hike isn't too much IMO though again it probably depends some on the weather and temperature. If your hikes are near decent water sources you could just take a squeeze filter or some water treatment to fill up your bottle on the regular rather than packing a bunch with you.
Hiking the East Coast Trail in Newfoundland, Canada and while it's not what a lot of you would consider hot during the summer (18-26ºC) it's plenty hot for me; especially hiking, plus it's humid. I will check into some form of water treatment or if it's necessary as I've drank from streams here before but maybe I shouldn't have. Is it usually a 20-30 minute wait for water treatment?

BaseballPCHiker posted:

No matter how much you spend you will eventually sweat out in any rain gear if you keep on hiking. If it's the rain comes and goes quickly you'll be fine but if you are out in the rain for a longer period of time the rain gear is basically used to keep you warm. All that said Marmot's PreCip pants work well.
More often than not we won't get brief showers, when it rains it doesn't stop.

theroachman posted:

A waterproof but breathable jacket like the Arc'teryx you bought will help a lot with staying dry, though as you say, sweating might be an issue. I think when walking in continuous rain you can't realistically stay 100% dry. So wearing a waterproof jacket and quick-drying pants might just be what it comes down to. Gaiters might solve the wet feet, but once your softshell pants start to get really wet, water will wick onto your socks and into your shoes. That's where trail runners are a better choice as they dry out way faster than waterproof boots. Bottom line is: if you can't stay dry, at least make sure you get dry quickly once the rain lets up.
Good advice, I'll definitely get gaiters for the wetter days I go out. I own two pairs of hiking boots but both are waterproof and neither are trail runners, not sure if trail runners would be optimal here as the terrain is usually quite rocky.

Just as an FYI 95% of the time I hike in a running t-shirt, shorts, baseball hat, merino/smartwool socks and hiking boots because I run hot so a coat, pants or extra layers are very infrequent. That reminds me, I should buy a better moisture wicking pair of shorts because even though they are polyester they're thick and still hold a fair bit of sweat/water.

Thanks for all the advice so far.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

You guys are insane, it's not inevitable and I'm quite used to staying dry with proper rain gear and gaiters and boots and intend to keep it that way even on rainy multiday trips trudging through the creeks that all the trails around here in Colorado have transformed into with snowmelt. A little sweaty is fine, I just don't want to get soaked. Especially when it's 40 degrees and windy as gently caress and you die if you get too wet.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone have any experience hiking with goats that would share some thoughts about it?

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tsyni posted:

Does anyone have any experience hiking with goats that would share some thoughts about it?

I do not but I like where this is going.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Pryor on Fire posted:

You guys are insane, it's not inevitable and I'm quite used to staying dry with proper rain gear and gaiters and boots and intend to keep it that way even on rainy multiday trips trudging through the creeks that all the trails around here in Colorado have transformed into with snowmelt. A little sweaty is fine, I just don't want to get soaked. Especially when it's 40 degrees and windy as gently caress and you die if you get too wet.

It's also easier to not get soaked in sweat when the temps are 40 degrees

whatupdet posted:

Hiking the East Coast Trail in Newfoundland, Canada and while it's not what a lot of you would consider hot during the summer (18-26ºC) it's plenty hot for me; especially hiking, plus it's humid. I will check into some form of water treatment or if it's necessary as I've drank from streams here before but maybe I shouldn't have. Is it usually a 20-30 minute wait for water treatment?

Eh, it usually depends on where the stream sources are. Streams that come directly from groundwater that isn't contaminated or from lakes/runoff that isn't contaminated are often pretty safe to drink straight. Streams that run through livestock areas or crowded human areas or have their sources in those areas are much more suspect. I know there are people who still drink a lot of water in the Sierra straight from the stream depending on the location. Treatment like aqua mira drops generally takes 20 minutes total: 5 minutes for the two agents to react and another 15 for them to treat the water, but is also more effective the longer you can allow it to treat the water. Their tablets take longer to treat water and generally very cold water takes longer to treat.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Tsyni posted:

As in, hiking in an area with goats?

They are chill and won't bother humans. They're usually too busy walking up a cliff face as if they have a no-clipping cheat on, to care about the human down on the trail.

Also you have the chance of finding a goat skull on the trail :black101:

I've only hiked with hawai'ian goats, though, so idk there might be other types of goats who are more territorial. The ones on kaua'i were mega chill though.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Tsyni posted:

I'd rank them in between cats and dogs in terms of ease of controlling them and getting them to follow you on the trail while leashed. You might think they'd be great for hauling your gear but they really aren't.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

mastershakeman posted:

I'd rank them in between cats and dogs in terms of ease of controlling them and getting them to follow you on the trail while leashed. You might think they'd be great for hauling your gear but they really aren't.

What kind of pace can they keep? There isn't a ton of info online but some of it suggests they'll just follow you if they are bonded to you at a young age. I'm not necessarily interested in using one to pack things, though that would be cool on longer trips.

Who wouldn't want a goat entourage while hiking?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

When I was on the kalalau trail in kaua'i, some dude was hiking the whole thing with a kitten on his shoulder :kimchi:

And at some point, there was a goat on the trail and his kitten ran up to it to investigate. Dude was really scared the goat would feel threatened and kick the cat, but the goat just stood there a bit and then no-clipped up the hill instead. If that helps you understand how chill these wild goats were.

If you are going to hike with your goat, that rules.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

alnilam posted:

If you are going to hike with your goat, that rules.

I don't have a goat yet, but I was thinking about getting a pair of goats and in the process of that it occurred to me that goats climb mountains pretty good and wouldn't it be cool if they'd come for adventures with me.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Tsyni posted:

What kind of pace can they keep? There isn't a ton of info online but some of it suggests they'll just follow you if they are bonded to you at a young age. I'm not necessarily interested in using one to pack things, though that would be cool on longer trips.

Who wouldn't want a goat entourage while hiking?

1 mile an hour horizontally, 100 miles an hour vertically.

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose

Tsyni posted:

The one time I had to use my bear spray was when I rounded a corner the same time as this ragged-looking one-horned nanny goat and we almost bumped into each other. Along behind comes this adorable baby goat and the old goat jumps towards me and acts aggressive as hell. I back away, a good mile, and it follows me the entire time, it won't let up, this ragged goat. I become cliffed-out, it approaches, lowers its one horn and snorts and kicks the ground, it's going to charge and gore me. I blast it in the face when I can, it takes a big whiff of the stuff and turns around and leaves. I felt loving terrible.

Other than that, goats are beautiful creatures to watch, do not approach goats and sheep!

edit: o you mean a goat friend, I don't know if domesticated goats can climb the same as mountain goats...

Smoove J fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 4, 2015

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark
I asked this a couple of pages back but got no takers, I'll try just one more time: Does anybody know anything of the new 3 season north face O2 tent? It's a 2-person(well, "2") tent for around $300 and just under 1kg. I've had good experiences with north face tents before, but that tent was like 10-20 years old. I've heard North Face has been dropping a bit in quality since, but I can get a 15% discount on this tent and I need a light tent for solo hiking asap. Honestly, I'd buy something else if I was in America, but this tent is just very well priced in europe where most brands are either very heavy or very, very expensive.

Since it's new, There are hardly any reviews yet so if anyone with a good eye for tents could take a gander at it you'd be helping me out a bunch: https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/o2#pr-container

edit: Actually, a review showed up on http://www.backcountry.com/the-north-face-o2-tent-2-person-3-season just two days ago and it appears favourable so I think I might just pull the trigger

prinneh fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jun 4, 2015

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

If you're brown, GET DOWN!

bunnielab posted:

Awesome guys, thanks for the info. I am some what bag/pack obsessed and tend to buy them for specific tasks, so I have no problem having a small, medium, and large hiking pack eventually.

Have you checked out Deuter bags at all? I am really happy with my speedlite by them and find that their bags can fit a lot into them for their size. Not sure if that holds up the same for their larger trekking bags but it might be worth checking them out. My speedlite has also been abused a bunch for daily commuting and it still keeps ticking.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

prinneh posted:

NorthFace tent

Absolutely not.

At $300 you can get one of the Big Agnes tents or any of the home-grown manufacturers. Mountain Laurel Designs (MLD), ZPacks, LightHeartGear, and Tarptent all make nice tents. Specifically check out the MLD Duomid, the ZPacks Duplex, the Big Agnes Scout 2, or any of the 2 man TarpTents (I think the rainbow is the most popular.)

If you can reach for $400 you can start looking at cuben fiber stuff. Cuben fiber is significantly lighter and 100% waterproof. Silnylon tends to spray droplets during heavy rain and cuben is just completely dry. I think the cheapest cuben tent would be amongst the MLD stuff.

I've been lusting after a cuben fiber Yama Mountain Gear Cirriform tarp. Tarp and tent design have really gotten awesome in the last couple years and the guy that makes these is clued in. There is a bug net option but aint nobody got time for that.

Comatoast fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 4, 2015

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

Comatoast posted:

Absolutely not.

At $300 you can get one of the Big Agnes tents or any of the home-grown manufacturers. Mountain Laurel Designs (MLD), ZPacks, LightHeartGear, and Tarptent all make nice tents. Specifically check out the MLD Duomid, the ZPacks Duplex, the Big Agnes Scout 2, or any of the 2 man TarpTents (I think the rainbow is the most popular.)

If you can reach for $400 you can start looking at cuben fiber stuff. Cuben fiber is significantly lighter and 100% waterproof. Silnylon tends to spray droplets during heavy rain and cuben is just completely dry. I think the cheapest cuben tent would be amongst the MLD stuff.

I've been lusting after a cuben fiber Yama Mountain Gear Cirriform tarp. Tarp and tent design have really gotten awesome in the last couple years and the guy that makes these is clued in. There is a bug net option but aint nobody got time for that.

I would love any of these and have had them bookmarked for a while, but as I said I am in Europe. After shipping and tax, $400 becomes more like $600 :(

edit: And I love the cottage manufacturers, shipping, tax and the recent downturn the euro has taken against the dollar just makes it way too expensive. My favourite can't-get-tent is the duplex one from zpacks, that tent is a thing of beauty, however, it's like $600 before shipping ($50), import tax (12% for tents), regular tax (25% of total price, that includes shipping and import tax) and then an extra thing of around $20 which is the price it costs for them to do the calculation, afaik.

prinneh fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jun 4, 2015

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Can you not get Big Agnes in Europe? I'd go for that over a NorthFace any day.

If you need a US shipping address I can help you out. I'm not sure if that helps or it just adds another shipping fee.

Comatoast fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jun 4, 2015

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Tsyni posted:

Why carry your dinner when it can walk itself right to your campsite? :black101:

bunnielab posted:

Even though my pack is much lighter than it used to be, I wound up buying a larger 75L Osprey Volt, which is just about perfect for 1-4 nights (for me). Ever since I switched to the hammock, I don't have anything to strap to the outside of the pack, so everything is stuffed inside, which takes up more bulk/space. I also don't use compression sacks for my quilts, I just stuff them loosely in a large bag and then stuff them in to expand to fill up the space quite nicely.

All depends on your hiking style and gear. If I only had to get one though, it'd be ~70L. I hate having to strap poo poo to the outside of the pack. Anything swinging around or not 100% secured is gonna fight you the entire way.

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

Comatoast posted:

Can you not get Big Agnes in Europe? I'd go for that over a NorthFace any day.

If you need a US shipping address I can help you out. I'm not sure if that helps or it just adds another shipping fee.

I edited my post to show you the draconian laws here :) It's not really the international shipping price, it's what happens when a package arrives here. Having you "help me" would be illegal and basically smuggling, which, aside from whatever I might think of the subject, wouldn't be fair to ask of anyone :) I checked out big agnes, a UL place stocks them but for around £340 for a 2 pers tent, I'm guessing thats more than what you'd expect right?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

whatupdet posted:

It's a great emergency shell IMO. No pit zips so you will sweat it out quick like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Pryor on Fire posted:

Yea, once I started buying good rain gear for work I rarely have a problem staying dry while walking around a show site all day. It is no where near as strenuous as hiking so I don't sweat too badly but I do bike around the farm during storms and even with sweating I am still pretty dry when I get home.

Edit: The farm goats escape a few times a year and I have had to go fetch them. They do sort of follow us but they absolutely will stall and wander to eat interesting things so you need to get a loose rope on them.

bongwizzard fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jun 4, 2015