Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

ZombieLenin posted:

So, if I just need to craft a potion once and I have it forever, why am I running around picking up every crafting material I can find?

I already stopped picking up all the drat flowers in the game but I can't stop myself from looting everything off dead guys and from crates. After all, they might contain florens or orens (I have tens of thousands of crowns) or alcohol (I have about 30 alcohols)!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Aurain posted:

Cat armour tier 1 and 2 looks like poo poo, once it starts getting chainmail, it jumps to the best.

I kinda liked Cat tier 1. Sleeveless Geralt is pretty badass

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

The patch is taking so long because they have an intern going through the entire game removing all the candles that are near lootable containers.

GrossMurpel posted:

I already stopped picking up all the drat flowers in the game but I can't stop myself from looting everything off dead guys and from crates. After all, they might contain florens or orens (I have tens of thousands of crowns) or alcohol (I have about 30 alcohols)!
Only 30 alcohols? I just sold a stack of 100 Dwarven Spirit and 100 Alcholest too.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Griffin armor has burlap shoulder armor held in place with shoelaces. This makes it the best.

Don't forget the gloves - two pieces of thick burlap kind of sewed together there. The armour just looks good and chunky and it makes your signs intense while protecting you from being hurt, instead of making you look like and be Sonic the Hedgehog without any rings.

I think that a signs and alchemy build is the most fun for me though. I respecced for fast combat and wasn't enjoying it all that much, now I just have Axii and Yrden at tier 2 and going alchemy all the rest of the way (with 3 points in defensive because every Witcher should be able to smack arrows back at people with his sword)

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Man the people are so much nicer to Geralt in Skellige. I wish there was an ending where you could just say gently caress it to the continent and hang out with your viking pals. At least they'd appreciate you.

Shard fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jun 4, 2015

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Spikeguy posted:

Man the people are so much nicer to Geralt in Skellige. I wish there was an ending where you could just say gently caress it to the continent and hang out with your viking pals. At least they'd appreciate you.

They are 'barely' nicer. Everywhere you walk you'll run into people who say 'Vagrant!' and as you progress in the story you'll hear a lot of 'You have no respect for our customs. Not you, and not that WITCH.' I guess it's better than the treatment you get in Novigrad or Velen though.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Ice Fist posted:

They are 'barely' nicer. Everywhere you walk you'll run into people who say 'Vagrant!' and as you progress in the story you'll hear a lot of 'You have no respect for our customs. Not you, and not that WITCH.' I guess it's better than the treatment you get in Novigrad or Velen though.

It's fun when a cutscene with an unnamed NPC ends where you've helped them solve a problem and they spit on you while you walk away. I've been playing a largely altruistic Geralt but I also make people pay for their lip.

GentleJudge
Feb 28, 2011

Ice Fist posted:

If you think about it, that WITCH did something really loving bad, and they are rather tame about it compared to the continent.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Ice Fist posted:

While this is true, you still get to be friends with the (PLOT SPOILER:) King/Queen and you have a lot more influential friends than you do on the Continent.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
"If I have a son, I'll be sure to name him Geralt."
...2 seconds later...
"*ptoo* Mutant!"

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

OAquinas posted:

"If I have a son, I'll be sure to name him Geralt."
...2 seconds later...
"*ptoo* Mutant!"

"Run!" "Hide your Children" and "AAaaah!" all screamed in a panic by some lady casually washing clothes in a basin (and who continues to wash her clothes without even looking up at you) are my favorite. Couldn't they have just stuck with "I don't have time to talk to you, Witcher?" or something?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

mcbexx posted:

Axii.

Edit: Goddamnit. Read all posts first.

Question regarding "A deadly plot" - Dijkstras quest to help assassinate Radovid after you hunt down his treasure.

I searched and found the cobbler (Thaler), but now the questline has disappeared from my log/is listed as completed (with no optional failure marks).

That's it? Huh?

And how many trolls am I forced to kill to get a single troll mutagen for the decoction?
I mean, there are a couple that are really hard to spare, but I think I killed at least 6 trolls by know (yeah I know, I am the monster), no mutagen.

There's a monster nest on the coast of the Pontar, south of Novigrad. It's full of Nekkars, and a single Rabid Troll that I got my troll mutagen from.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So Polygon posted this opinion piece about the lack of people's of color in Witcher 3 - http://www.polygon.com/2015/6/3/8719389/colorblind-on-witcher-3-rust-and-gamings-race-problem

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Unfunny Poster posted:

So Polygon posted this opinion piece about the lack of people's of color in Witcher 3 - http://www.polygon.com/2015/6/3/8719389/colorblind-on-witcher-3-rust-and-gamings-race-problem
I'm not falling for clickbait. Dont click it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Autoban anyone linking to Polygon.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Drifter posted:

Autoban anyone linking to Polygon.

agreed, polygon is tabloid rag poo poo with possibly the worst loving game opinion pieces I've ever read, bar Tim Rogers

is there a place to craft swords or did I dream that I got a sword diagram? Could have sworn that's what I got from that wyvern lair for the Griffin School quest

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

MinibarMatchman posted:

agreed, polygon is tabloid rag poo poo with possibly the worst loving game opinion pieces I've ever read, bar Tim Rogers

is there a place to craft swords or did I dream that I got a sword diagram? Could have sworn that's what I got from that wyvern lair for the Griffin School quest

Blacksmiths craft swords, armorers make armor. Unlike potions, you can't make them yourself.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Unfunny Poster posted:

Polygon is irritating because while I do agree with the overall point about everyone in the world being white (which really isn't a problem only with Witcher 3 as much as games as a whole.), Polygon itself is full of bad writers and badly written articles, so I really can't be assed to read the article. They're completely clickbaity. Like it's to the point where loving Kotaku can write better articles on the same subjects.

There was that "preview" for Rock Band 4 on Polygon where the dude literally went to a party, didn't actually play the game, and then wrote about how he didn't play the game but the people looked like they were having a good time I guess. :confused:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Macaluso posted:

There was that "preview" for Rock Band 4 on Polygon where the dude literally went to a party, didn't actually play the game, and then wrote about how he didn't play the game but the people looked like they were having a good time I guess. :confused:

Well, I mean, to be fair, that's what a lot of previews are. You watching someone else play.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Crappy Jack posted:

Blacksmiths craft swords, armorers make armor. Unlike potions, you can't make them yourself.

I honestly had no idea, I assumed all crafters were the same. I've only ever seem armorers in the game so far...I'm in Novigrad, did I miss one or do they not show up til much later? I can't remember ever seeing one.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Where does the Temerian armor show up in game?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Drifter posted:

Well, I mean, to be fair, that's what a lot of previews are. You watching someone else play.

It was less a preview of Rock Band 4 and more a story about how he didn't want to be there

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bort Bortles posted:

I'm not falling for clickbait. Dont click it.

It is basically a (I'm guessing) American guy saying that CDPR should do X and Y with the Witcher story and setting. It's a weird piece that argues that, you can't use "it's based on mythology" or "it's based on history" as an excuse because those aren't acceptable excuses to the writer when you have monsters and such involved in the storytelling. Just like people are saying "you can't use it's historically accurate" for the recent Game of Thrones kerfuffle. He also argued that it'd be OK to do something called racebending (I genuinely didn't know this was a term), where you change a character's skin color a la Heimdal in the Thor movies or the new Human Torch in the Fantastic Torch, with Witcher characters but doing vice versa with any other mythology from around the world is "white washing."

Macaluso posted:

Polygon is irritating because while I do agree with the overall point about everyone in the world being white (which really isn't a problem only with Witcher 3 as much as games as a whole.), Polygon itself is full of bad writers and badly written articles, so I really can't be assed to read the article. They're completely clickbaity. Like it's to the point where loving Kotaku can write better articles on the same subjects.

It certainly can be and given that I've gotten in the habit of avoiding anything written by Ben Kuchera because of the clickbait and hilariously dumb arguments he comes up with. I mean, the guy tried to argue that Game of Thrones was akin to "Free-To-Play Games" in some absurd piece he must have written in a drunken stupors.

According to that Rockband 4 guy, it was him mocking himself for being old.

https://twitter.com/ColinCampbellx/status/605788929032228865

Poe's Law and all that seem to have escaped him.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 4, 2015

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

NeurosisHead posted:

Where does the Temerian armor show up in game?

The merchant stall in White Orchard of the guy you saved in the prologue. If you have it installed; you have to check the box in Galaxy if you're using that. Run the installer otherwise (or it should be auto-added if using Steam).

Blacksmiths are in Novigrad (the mastercraft one is there too) and a Journeyman-level one is in Oxenfurt. Probably one in Skellige as well; haven't been there yet.
For crafting Witcher diagrams you'll need a Journeyman level dude. You can find amateur blacksmiths around villages but they're only good for basic sword diagrams.

Blacksmiths have an icon that has a sword in it. Armorers have a tiny suit of armor icon.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

MinibarMatchman posted:

I honestly had no idea, I assumed all crafters were the same. I've only ever seem armorers in the game so far...I'm in Novigrad, did I miss one or do they not show up til much later? I can't remember ever seeing one.

There's a blacksmith in the fish market in Novigrad, and there's an armorer just to the north, in the main courtyard where that stake burning occurred. He doesn't always show up on the minimap at first, it sometimes takes him a while to load in, but he's got a little shop in one of those side alcoves.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Unfunny Poster posted:

this is the most obnoxious and terrible article about a general overall opinion i agree with lmao

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Unfunny Poster posted:

It is basically a (I'm guessing) American guy saying that CDPR should do X and Y with the Witcher story and setting. It's a weird piece that argues that, you can't use "it's based on mythology" or "it's based on history" as an excuse because those aren't acceptable excuses to the writer when you have monsters and such involved in the storytelling. Just like people are saying "you can't use it's historically accurate" for the recent Game of Thrones kerfuffle. He also argued that it'd be OK to do something called racebending (I genuinely didn't know this was a term), where you change a character's skin color a la Heimdal in the Thor movies or the new Human Torch in the Fantastic Torch, with Witcher characters but doing vice versa with any other mythology from around the world is "white washing."

It certainly can be and given that I've gotten in the habit of avoiding anything written by Ben Kuchera because of the clickbait and hilariously dumb arguments he comes up with.

According to that Rockband 4 guy, it was him mocking himself for being old.

https://twitter.com/ColinCampbellx/status/605788929032228865

Poe's Law and all that seem to have escaped him.

It's basically the guy complaining that it's erasing the culture of coloured people while he himself erases the cultures and mythological history of slavic nations such as Poland (which happens to be extremely pre-dominantly (90%+) populated with white skinned people, even in the year 2015). Just more pushing of what he wants to see in games while not realising that he's doing the same thing he accuses others of.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Aurain posted:

It's basically the guy complaining that it's erasing the culture of coloured people while he himself erases the cultures and mythological history of slavic nations such as Poland (which happens to be extremely pre-dominantly (90%+) populated with white skinned people, even in the year 2015). Just more pushing of what he wants to see in games while not realising that he's doing the same thing he accuses others of.

Well, they're white so they already get plenty of games about them anyway.

In seriousness though, this is a response from a game dev

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1smgq9a

quote:

“We should raise concerns about race, but it needs to be consistent.”
--Tauriq Moosa, Colorblind: On Witcher 3, Rust, and gaming's race problem
http://www.polygon.com/2015/6/3/8719389/colorblind-on-witcher-3-rust-and-gamings-race-problem

Depending upon who and where you are, Gone Home is arguably among the whitest games of all time. Life is Strange has, what, a single, tertiary character of color? Neither title inspired a single editorial on this trait, nor did reviews take issue with their lack of diversity, their overwhelming whiteness. I'm not contending that Gone Home necessarily needed characters of color; that it would be better off if Terry was black, if Janice was Indian, if Sam was biracial, and if Kaitlin had been an adopted Korean. Nor am I arguing that if we're going to demand representational diversity from The Witcher, then we need also ask it from other games with ostensibly progressive politics (like The Witcher).

I agree wholeheartedly that inadequate representation of people of color in popular videogames is indeed a very real concern. I agree that gaming's monochromatic look isn't good; that ideally the range of games released in a year would afford the Brazilian, the Iranian, the Nigerian, and the white Norwegian alike the opportunity to assume the roles of heroes and heroines with whom they share physical and cultural resemblance. The problem, though, is not that Gone Home is white, or that The Witcher is white. The problem is that what is true for these two titles is also true for the majority of games that are popular in North America and Europe. (I emphasize popularity because while game development communities in regions such as Iran create products that, in this example, prominently feature Persian characters http://kotaku.com/5835402/a-look-at-41-of-irans-best-video-games/ these games are practically unknown in America.) When the issue is that the Western market as a whole fails to mirror the present racial makeup of America and Europe, it seems odd to single out one Polish product as the poster child of gaming's “race problem.” The goal here is for the aggregate of games to represent human diversity. The goal is not that each and every game adopt the approach that characterizes Girl Scout cookie packaging.

Moosa contends that in omitting people of color, and instead including fantasy races with which to “mimic real world racist policies” The Witcher 'literally dehumanizes people of color.' I haven't played enough of The Witcher III to say for certain, but I do doubt that the game is so foolish as to substitute specific human groups with its assorted fantasy races. I suspect we'd see many more editorials if, for instance, Trolls stood in for Arabs, or elves for Africans. The inclusion of a few characters of color would open CD Projekt to charges of tokenism, and certainly these characters could come under the microscope as unfairly and potentially unfavorably representing entire races and cultures if CD Projekt's Polish writers stumbled. So knowing that CD Projekt was committed to creating a fantasy world that humans share with other human-like species, diversity could either come from expanding the game's scope to include kingdoms across the globe (in addition to the franchise's mythical monsters), or radically reworking the society it does depict to more closely resemble modern America. Both options are promising, but I don't know that they conform with the game CD Projekt wanted to – or was able to – deliver. Instead of expecting a Polish game to reflect the attempt of white people to properly represent the entirety of our planet's cultural and ethnic diversity, I'd prefer shelves (or Steam's store) to invite us into a wider realm of experiences created by and for demographically diverse collections of people who more closely resemble the inhabitants of our world.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

Magical Zero posted:

Looking over the rewards.xml, I'm starting to wonder if there even is an XP bug. Basically, it seems like every quest has two levels - a suggested level that appears in the journal, and a 'hidden' level that you can see in the reward file. These levels do not appear to be identical, so it's possible for a quest to be, for example, suggested level 10 but actually real level 8. Since we know that quests that are 6 levels below your own do not yield experience, I think this is where the perception of a bug is coming from. A level 15 player would think, based on his journal, that the suggested level 10 quest should give him experience, but in reality the quest is actually marked as level 8 in the rewards.xml. So no experience. This also explains why it's been impossible to pinpoint where exactly this xp bug actually appears - different players are doing various quests at different levels.

e: or perhaps it would be more accurate to say that the quest itself has a "suggested" level, but the various steps inside the quest that actually yield the reward, for example searching a certain room in the Baron's keep, has their own level. If that makes sense.

You are just wrong, and you would know if you read anything about the bug. Myself, and many others, are not getting XP from any quests at all, of any type or level. LvL 15, doing level 15 story quest, nothing, level 20 contract, nothing, level 20 story, nothing, and so on.. Only quests that drop XP for me now is 10xp from horse races and other miniquests that don't have a recommended level.

I know some people insist XP comes back when you get to Skellige and such, and for some people it does, but people are also reporting doing every single quest on Skellige with no XP, so it is different from person to person, but the bug sure as hell isn't imaginary, and I don't understand why so many people have the need to argue that it is (both here and on other forums).

mcbexx posted:

Again: Get a loan from Vivaldi, pay it back immediately and report back if this unfumbled the XP glitch.

Tried this, but the option to pay back the loan simply doesn't appear :(

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Greenplastic posted:

Tried this, but the option to pay back the loan simply doesn't appear :(

A likely story, time for Vivaldi's collectors to bust some witcher kneecaps :mrgw:

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

No Mods No Masters posted:

A likely story, time for Vivaldi's collectors to bust some witcher kneecaps :mrgw:

I would love it if this actually happened if you don't pay back in time!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Do conversation CTDs pick up a lot in Novigrad or something? I hadn't had any for ~20 hrs of playing and all of a sudden I'm getting them every few conversations.

e: It might also be 1.04 related since I hadn't played too much since that patch.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 4, 2015

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I don't understand why people worry about color or human racism in fantasy/sci-fi games where there are entire other sapient species / aliens. Dwarves, Halflings and Elves are already stand ins for repressed minorities and the Witcher games do a great job highlighting how stupid it is to target your neighbors just because they are "different" when the world is full of poo poo that is far worse.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Battle of Kaer Morhen: Holy poo poo :monocle:

Not the fights itself, jacked up Geralt at level 24 kills pretty much everything in two strikes and a sign - but the lead up, execution and cutscenes... :black101:
I was gripping my controller so hard at the end, barely noticing it might break any second.

Not to mention the aftermath.
I can't remember any game pulling off this level off immersion and character building.

This game will leave such a huge void once I'm done, it's not even funny.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Aurain posted:

It's just a medium/dark blue striped jacket though?

oh ok it looked way worse in the promo materials

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Jack2142 posted:

I don't understand why people worry about color or human racism in fantasy/sci-fi games where there are entire other sapient species / aliens. Dwarves, Halflings and Elves are already stand ins for repressed minorities and the Witcher games do a great job highlighting how stupid it is to target your neighbors just because they are "different" when the world is full of poo poo that is far worse.

Because at that point you are saying other colored people aren't exactly human, and using stand-ins instead of actual colored people. It's a small thing, but I can see people wanting more representatively ethnically diverse or gendered actual humans given substantial parts in their entertainment.

It's really a double-edged sword, because on one hand in mass media the creators tend to be a one-sided old boys' club (in essence) and change and more appropriate representation would be welcome to help remove stereotypes and positively impact and reflect culture, but on the other hand the people crying for it tend to be really loving retarded.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jun 4, 2015

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Unfunny Poster posted:

Stupid. The Witcher is based on Slavic mythology and in medieval times it was rare for white people to encounter people of color because travel was hard.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

OAquinas posted:

Blacksmiths have an icon that has a sword in it. Armorers have a tiny suit of armor icon.

The sword icon is actually for whetstones, blacksmiths have a hammer+anvil icon. Sometimes the two go hand in hand but not always.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Unfunny Poster posted:

This is a legitimate issue in the games industry as a whole, especially in the US where the non-white population makes up about 23% of the country yet is woefully underrepresented in media. In poland ~98% of the population is white european. Not really the best game to use to illustrate that issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haris pilton
Sep 4, 2014
Yeah we need more blacks in Nordic themed rpg's (crushed blacks if you're an xboner)