Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

please don't crosspost the trap post

Someone posted Astolfo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Repster
Nov 29, 2014

Silver2195 posted:

Continued from the anime thread:

Kiritsugu could probably have done better if he'd been nicer to Saber, if nothing else. With Avalon and Command Spells, she could have taken out Kirei and Gil, and they wouldn't have wiped out most of humanity in so many of the Bad Ends. By his own utilitarian metrics, his methods are a failure.

Edit: One question that isn't really discussed in Zero: If Kiritsugu wished for world peace on an uncorrupted Grail, what would happen, and would it actually be a good thing? After all, wars and other forms of violence aren't like natural disasters; they exist as the result of human choices. It seems like the conflict in Apocrypha is going to revolve around an issue like that.

Nothing.

The grail is power. Pure and simple. It HAD no will before being corrupted so wishing on it would have done NOTHING. You would need to take the power and bend it to your will to grant the wish yourself. Not something kiritsugu could have done.

The corruption is an Evil will. It will summon evil heroes as well as good. And will twist anything that uses it's power into a destructive end. It does not "grant" your wish, it alters whatever magic you use with it's power into a destructive end. I.E "I wish to cure all the sick people" instead of you pumping them all with healing juices would turn into " I wish there were no more sick people" Also known as "I wish all the sick people were gone" or more to the point "Kill all the sick people" and would twist your healing juices into pure poison magic.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Someone posted Astolfo?

If only.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

imo enkidu > astolfo

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

http://typemoon.wikia.com/wiki/Berserker_(Fate/Grand_Order_-_2) what the gently caress is this 300 poo poo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

wasn't that guy a unit in dawn of war

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

He's obviously the Persian King who fought Alexander right?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

He's obviously the Persian King who fought Alexander right?

that's darius III yeah. iirc iskander does confirm he was a 3 meter tall dude but he straight up looks like loving 300 xerxes

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

rewatched f/z recently and does urobuchi have a huge boner for choking in all of his works because holy poo poo

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Tonfa posted:

rewatched f/z recently and does urobuchi have a huge boner for choking in all of his works because holy poo poo

I think that was just Kirei's thing. (Well, and that one time Kiritsugu choked an illusion.) I mean, why wouldn't you when you have awesome kung fu hands?

Edit: Oh yeah, and Kariya. hmmm...

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.
Man, looking at that grand order stuff, I really hope we get David as Archer. I really hate the new rider they are using and the garbage Jack the Ripper though.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Those are Apocrypha characters. I imagine a bunch of them are in GO though.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
The full version of Brave Shine has been released today and it's glorious. Ring Your Bell (and the In the Silence version) has been released a while ago.

As for Fate/Grand Order, a new Archer has been revealed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMu7YeuZEuU

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Compendium posted:

The full version of Brave Shine has been released today and it's glorious. Ring Your Bell (and the In the Silence version) has been released a while ago.

As for Fate/Grand Order, a new Archer has been revealed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMu7YeuZEuU

Rama from the Ramanyana?

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
That's one guess, the other is Arjuna.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

next week...

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Crossposting from UBW thread:

Raenir Salazar posted:

I don't fully catch the irony, can you explain in the TM thread or pm me?

The Grail actually calls Kiritsugu "Angra Mainyu" after he calls bullshit on the Grail's inability to generate a true miracle to it's face. Of course, this may have just been clever wordplay, since before the invent of the being "Angra Mainyu", it was just a phrase used to describe a/the destructive spirit. Much like how "satan" is originally just the gerund form of the Hebrew word meaning "to oppose" or "adversary".

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

should i read the 41 posts in the UBW thread, or are they bad

this is mostly a rhetorical question

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i was trying to find as screencap of the 'hey, that's hell you're walking into' line but for some reason that was the first result so i just went with it

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Cake Attack posted:

A lot of those posts are mine so they're great.

... Don't actually.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Endorph posted:

i was trying to find as screencap of the 'hey, that's hell you're walking into' line but for some reason that was the first result so i just went with it

It works pretty well tbh, but here's the screencap if you ever want to use it for anything else. :)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

College Slice
We're not going to get the good end are we. :( Saber spent the episode subtly saying good bye.

To be honest I'd like the Good End mainly because I feel it'd be a great way to have Post UBW adventures in the Type-Moon verse.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The Good End was poo poo from an rear end!!!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
the difference between the two is incredibly minor and the good end is more fun, don't be a sperglord

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

LORD OF BUTT posted:

the difference between the two is incredibly minor and the good end is more fun, don't be a sperglord

It isn't, actually.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The good end is Fine and not even mutually exclusive from the True End scenes.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

It's been a good long while since I read the VN, but is there any point to the high jump scene other than to set up Sakura's bit in HF?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Moldy Taxes posted:

It's been a good long while since I read the VN, but is there any point to the high jump scene other than to set up Sakura's bit in HF?

There's some thematic stuff going on there that goes straight into Rin's character development for this route. Shirou is a person who never gives up and will always set out to Do A Thing(tm) even if its clearly impossible or unsuitable for him, and doggedly pursue it undeterred. This is the opposite of Rin, who is Perfect at Everything but should she encounter something she thinks is impossible she won't bother even trying. So she admires Shirou and starts to fall for him because of that.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Did the grail ever work as advertised at any point?

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Angra Mainyu only showed up in the third war. The first and second wars would've worked but I think they both ended in draws where everyone died and the grail was never filled.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

a kitten posted:

Did the grail ever work as advertised at any point?

Fate Extra.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The Grail probably wouldn't have worked for someone like Kiritsugu (A vague idea they have no theoretical means of imagining even with infinite resources) in the previous wars I think.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
All indications are that it would have would as advertised in Fate/Apocrypha too.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Some fanart I found, I really like Rin's hair and her wearing the Tohsoka colors (She's almost dressed just like Arcuid).

And Shirou rockin' that Proto-Archer look.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
You are now imaging that situation where she and Shirou are trapped in the box.

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

i want short stories of all the alt universes shirou calls while trapped in the box

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Budget Prefuse posted:

i want short stories of all the alt universes shirou calls while trapped in the box

I'd read it

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Finally finished Fate, my first re-read of it since I read it for the first time 8 years ago or whatever. I know a lot of people have said over the years that it's not so much that Fate is bad and more just that compared to the other routes it isn't as good, but man I came away from it thinking it was somehow even worse than I remembered. This is probably largely because of how used I am to the various characters from other works over the years but everything about Fate really feels kind of alien compared to the rest of FSN; very few characters seem to act the way they are usually characterized these days. The two that stand out the most are Gilgamesh and Kotomine; Gil is effectively a rapist (and kind of...underpowered, compared to how he comes off in other stories) and Kotomine is so Mwa Ha Ha ha Evil in a very boring/uninteresting way. The main issues with the route though is just how loaded with exposition and explanations it is, which sort of makes sense because it's supposed to introduce the entire FSN world to you for the first time but it sure does make re-reading it a chore.

I can only imagine how toxic the thread would be if ufotable had decided to animate Fate instead of UBW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Nate RFB posted:

Finally finished Fate, my first re-read of it since I read it for the first time 8 years ago or whatever. I know a lot of people have said over the years that it's not so much that Fate is bad and more just that compared to the other routes it isn't as good, but man I came away from it thinking it was somehow even worse than I remembered. This is probably largely because of how used I am to the various characters from other works over the years but everything about Fate really feels kind of alien compared to the rest of FSN; very few characters seem to act the way they are usually characterized these days. The two that stand out the most are Gilgamesh and Kotomine; Gil is effectively a rapist (and kind of...underpowered, compared to how he comes off in other stories) and Kotomine is so Mwa Ha Ha ha Evil in a very boring/uninteresting way. The main issues with the route though is just how loaded with exposition and explanations it is, which sort of makes sense because it's supposed to introduce the entire FSN world to you for the first time but it sure does make re-reading it a chore.

I can only imagine how toxic the thread would be if ufotable had decided to animate Fate instead of UBW.

Fate always stuck me as a more standard by the numbers Urban-Fantasy which was needed for the other two routes to make any sense or be as good as they are. I read Gil differently, he struck me as slightly less villainous in Fate; antagonistic sure, but in a more standard love triangle ish way. In Fate it seems like he's your enemy mostly because he's competing with Shirou for Saber (And did help out vs Caster).

As for Kotomine I believe the intention is to set him up as "This guy is a villain and evil." (Because again, standard fantasy needs someone who is evil), but we revisit him and his motivations in Heaven's Feel where he's expanded on (and expanded on more in F/Z, which feeds into HF).