Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

FYI there is nothing new about this at all. Many cross platform titles have been pricing PC $10 lower than consoles for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I thought the big thing in that picture is that a release date is listed.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Yeah I remember why I dropped Fallout 3 the last time. I don't like the tunnels and stuff like that. It takes me out of the game. I dunno.

I'm really big on Westerns and stuff so New Vegas really hits that groove.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Generic Monk posted:

I'd love to see them challenge themselves and their own preconceptions but the sheer financial success of their games does beget an inherent conservatism. That said I hope that they push themselves creatively and tehnically - you can do it guys!

They actually did that on Fallout 3. Proper companions weren't supposed to be part of the game until there was an overwhelming demand for them amongst fans, so they were added really late in development. That's why Fawkes, Charon and RL-3 wouldn't originally activate the purifier despite the fact that radiation isn't a problem for them. The ending was already kinda set.

Republican Vampire fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 4, 2015

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Skeezy posted:

Yeah I remember why I dropped Fallout 3 the last time. I don't like the tunnels and stuff like that. It takes me out of the game. I dunno.

I don't have a problem with the tunnels until you have to keep using them over and over just to traverse DC

khy
Aug 15, 2005

AlternateAccount posted:

Mass physics you say?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7_rPDwSKe8
Granted, that's .4fps, but hey.

But yeah, Bethesda is mostly a sucking black hole of creativity right now and they don't seem to be pushing themselves or being pushed by management, so we get turds like this.

Is it bad that my attention was IMMEDIATELY drawn to the vanishing barrels in the lower left corner from 1:08 to 1:12ish?

I don't really think that Bethesda lacks creativity, more that I feel like they spend too much of their resources in the wrong areas. Like, I think it'd be better if they spent more money on a wider cast of small name voice actors, as opposed to hiring a big name for a small role. Or getting some new artists/animators/modellers.

I hope that the fact that they're not rebuilding the engine from the ground up means they're able to avoid some of the time constraints they had with Skyrim. I like the idea behind Radiant quests, but I disliked the fact that it cut into questlines too much. Hopefully with FO4 they can balance it out so we get long faction questlines AND radiant quests.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Inzombiac posted:

There's no reason a Pip-Boy wouldn't have a small LED flashlight right at the wrist.
Oh wait, 1950s future retro. No LEDs.
But how does the screen light up, phosphorous?
It's a CRT. The Fallout universe may have never moved past using vacuum tubes, CRTs, or tape-based data storage, but they certainly improved and miniaturized it.

That's why I think the android crap from Fallout 3 doesn't fit with that world at all.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
Don't believe in Todd's lies.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Lastgirl posted:

Don't believe in Todd's lies.

Which lies exactly should I not believe in

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

khy posted:

I like the idea behind Radiant quests

What miswiring do you have in your brain to enjoy randomly generated quests over handmade ones? Are you a big mmo-fan?

khy posted:

that fallout 4 is worth purchasing

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

khy posted:

all of them

because they are lies

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Mortimer posted:

What miswiring do you have in your brain to enjoy randomly generated quests over handmade ones? Are you a big mmo-fan?

Why is reading so difficult for you that you can't finish reading the entire sentence I made that statement in? And while you're at it try reading the sentence directly after that, it's quite relevant as well.

And if you could please explain the rear end-backwards leaps of logic it took to interpret my words to mean that I like radiant quests more than questlines I would appreciate it. I can't really wrap my head around how you managed to come to that conclusion based on what I posted.

khy fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 4, 2015

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Chomp8645 posted:

FYI there is nothing new about this at all. Many cross platform titles have been pricing PC $10 lower than consoles for years.

Thanks for the information! :coffeepal:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Mortimer posted:

that fallout 4 is worth purchasing

Fallout 4 will absolutely be worth purchasing.

It will be worth purchasing probably around December 2017, which is the first time it is likely that the Fallout 4 Ultimate Pack including all DLC is available for $15 on Steam Christmas Sale.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

khy posted:

Why is reading so difficult for you that you can't finish reading the entire sentence I made that statement in? And while you're at it try reading the sentence directly after that, it's quite relevant as well.

your posts are really boring thats why i couldnt finish it

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Chomp8645 posted:

Fallout 4 will absolutely be worth purchasing.

It will be worth purchasing probably around December 2017, which is the first time it is likely that the Fallout 4 Ultimate Pack including all DLC is available for $15 on Steam Christmas Sale.

wrong, it will be worth purchasing 1 day after release when they have a horse tits mod

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

look at the release date ;)

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Roobanguy posted:

Ahahaha I see it now. What the hell is the 23rd month?

khy posted:

And if you could please explain the rear end-backwards leaps of logic it took to interpret my words to mean that I like radiant quests more than questlines I would appreciate it. I can't really wrap my head around how you managed to come to that conclusion based on what I posted.

The fact that you think "Go to X and find Y" quests have any kind of potential is kinda weird dude

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Roobanguy posted:

i think every non stupid country does DD/MM/YYYY

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Eonwe posted:

wrong, it will be worth purchasing 1 day after release when they have a horse tits mod

Are horses confirmed???

Might have to go with the backup Car Tits mod.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Eonwe posted:

i think every non stupid country does DD/MM/YYYY

im more pointing out that websites are saying its being released on October 23, not commenting on how other countries organize their dates.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
yea

I mean, it probably is coming out around then

the coupons for discounts they gave out for the store expire 10/31/15, so it makes sense

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Mortimer posted:

Ahahaha I see it now. What the hell is the 23rd month?

It's 23 October, 2015. Which is cool cuz the Great War happened on October 23 in Fallout.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Republican Vampire posted:

It's 23 October, 2015. Which is cool cuz the Great War happened on October 23 in Fallout.

and so the postin wars will begin...

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Posting never changes.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Mortimer posted:

The fact that you think "Go to X and find Y" quests have any kind of potential is kinda weird dude

Radiant Quests were seriously the single dumbest design choice in Skyrim.

Especially with the quest compass.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I need 100 gold. I should talk to the Jarl, track down the group of people or monster he wants killed, kill it, then hike back and tell him its dead so I can collect my gold.

Or I could pick his pocket.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ash1138 posted:

It's a CRT. The Fallout universe may have never moved past using vacuum tubes, CRTs, or tape-based data storage, but they certainly improved and miniaturized it.

That's why I think the android crap from Fallout 3 doesn't fit with that world at all.

New Vegas goes even farther; hard light holograms and it had the world five seconds from post-scarcity before it exploded, among other things.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Lord Chumley posted:

and so the postin wars will begin...

I need to come up with a gimmick before then...

My 'thing' will be to say that's it(s good, but not as good as Ultima IX.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

No Bethesda, we're not going to call your game "the bomb" just because it dropped on October 23rd.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

New Vegas goes even farther; hard light holograms and it had the world five seconds from post-scarcity before it exploded, among other things.

And almost everything in old world blues

which rocked btw

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Mortimer posted:

I think they have potential because I feel like not every single thing you do in the games needs to be turned into an epic adventure worthy of a twelve-stanza bard song. If a game is going to make an attempt at being immersive it ought to throw in a few small, easily-accomplished tasks for monetary (or in FO4's case EXP) gain. Sort of an optional errand system. Especially if you're the type who installs mods like 'You are not the Dragonborn' or that one morrowind mod where it made Jiub the Nerevarine instead of you.

The problem I had with Radiant quests wasn't with the quests themselves, it was that Bethesda thought that they could decrease the lengths of other questlines because Radiant quests compensated for that. Hell, the radiant quests weren't any more annoying than the 'kill rats' quests or 'collect imp gall' quests we had in Oblivion. They were just moved out from no longer being part of the overall guild quest to being on the side and optional.

Best solution IMO has always been a mixture. Make the questlines longer than Skyrim and more involved than simple fetch/delivery quests. Separate the lovely filler quests that padded out the length of the Oblivion questlines and make them optional Radiant quests you can do if you want or ignore if you don't care.

This is what I hope we see in Fallout 4. Optional one-off errands that are randomly generated alongside longer, more involved and interesting storylines.

khy fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jun 4, 2015

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

the world was almost past post scarcity since fo2, where you can find a note mentioning how fusion power was found just a year or so before the great war, but not soon enough for oil to still not be super important in manufactoring/fuel production.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Mostly I turn on Fallout NV now because I've got unlimited companions and the wasteland monster spawns cranked up to the max and I just like to walk around with a hail of gunfire and explosions turning the wasteland into a lightshow that would make the war itself proud.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Roobanguy posted:

the world was almost past post scarcity since fo2, where you can find a note mentioning how fusion power was found just a year or so before the great war, but not soon enough for oil to still not be super important in manufactoring/fuel production.

Yeah but New Vegas turned it so random chits and bullshit could become food and bullets and water and whatever else out of a vending machine on top of that. Like if humanity waited a day to kick things off all the problems would have been solved. FO3's androids are kind of whatever in comparison, especially with everything in the Think Tank.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ash1138 posted:

Caves of Steel.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah but New Vegas turned it so random chits and bullshit could become food and bullets and water and whatever else out of a vending machine on top of that. Like if humanity waited a day to kick things off all the problems would have been solved.

Yeah, but it was probably doomed anyway. It was the Think Tank that came up with that stuff and they were super nuts.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

I knew it was going to end badly when they renamed Dogmeat "Old Yeller"

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Republican Vampire posted:

Yeah, but it was probably doomed anyway. It was the Think Tank that came up with that stuff and they were super nuts.

Well that and the stuff about Vault-Tec and the pre-war Enclave group having planned the Vault system to be some sort of grand social experiment to see how people would behave in isolation and space and poo poo.

Only they needed a reason to jam all these people into their experiment so they kicked off the Great War with the Chinese.

Tech like micro fusion cells would've made oil unnecessary in the end but the war had to happen any way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
^ Eh I've never been a fan of the mastermindy "We intentionally caused the Great War" theories. It's much more human if you have these two big monolithic groups that in trying to create a peace for themselves, wound up causing the largest war/extinction event in history.

With regards to the post-scarcity chat, I always mentally rationalized the Think Tank/Chits-To-Stuff technology as being worked on before/during the Great War in fringe locations that weathered the disaster more. That stuff came about after the Great War wiped everyone else out but didn't wipe them out.

What's odd is that I like the idea that poo poo was getting worse before the Great War lit up, I'm also open to the idea posited in that casting sheet: that there was a bit of a Golden Age where poo poo was on the uptick before things crashed hard. Not sure how I can mentally reconcile that (maybe most American citizens didn't realize how hot things were becoming?), but there you go.

• Locked thread