Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

MrDorf posted:

gently caress those giant scorpions. I was all set up with a campfire, barely surviving the cold in the mountains on my first run through and I started hearing this weird tapping noise. I can't really see anything since I'm crouching near the fire just to keep the sliver of health I still had, and then this giant insect face and claws appear through the flames right in front of me. I killed it somehow before dying (still died from the cold later), but holy poo poo.

GOTY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Seriously though this is the most playable and genuinely enjoyable early access game since Kerbal Space Program. If they can continue to improve the content and balance over the next several months they'll have an amazing full release.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
This is the first FPS survival game that ever caught my eye. The devs seem very ernest and active, and game play is incredibly fun and challenging. They have a lot going for them so far. And I really like how you need to be a tribe to survive. You can't easily solo this one to get the best stuff. My buddy is going up the building tree while I'm getting the drugs, guns and supplies routes. I can't wait to see what the game has in store once we move off of the beach.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

MrDorf posted:

Seriously though this is the most playable and genuinely enjoyable early access game since Kerbal Space Program. If they can continue to improve the content and balance over the next several months they'll have an amazing full release.

This seems like a bit much to me. Yea the gameplay seems really neat but it's basically unplayable at the moment from the graphical issues.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
I played this last night, and it's all my favorite parts of Rust, plus dinosaurs.

I didn't see it in the OP -- what mumble are y'all using and what server?

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Rexicon1 posted:

This seems like a bit much to me. Yea the gameplay seems really neat but it's basically unplayable at the moment from the graphical issues.

I'm running 2x 780's SLI'd (even though SLI isn't really supported yet apparently) and haven't had any video issues at all. Most settings are on high or epic with a few on medium and it's always maintained a comfortable (certainly not seamless, but comfortable) framerate. Obviously there's some optimization issues to work out as well though, but that goes without saying.

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

Kimsemus posted:

I played this last night, and it's all my favorite parts of Rust, plus dinosaurs.

I didn't see it in the OP -- what mumble are y'all using and what server?
Mumble's in OP

Strotski fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jun 4, 2015

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009
There is nothing more terrifying than an angry Brontosaurus.

RIP tamed Carno, your tiny arms were too dainty for this harsh world full of angry herbivores.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!
Making friends with your neighbors during the daylight and then raiding their village during the night might have been the most fun I've had in a sandbox game in a while. I spent way too much time building a large compound hidden in the dense forest between some mountains, which I fully expect to be destroyed when I log on later after work.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

~230mb patch dropped a few min ago. Not seeing server 40 online yet...

descoteaux
Sep 18, 2003

sushibandit posted:

~230mb patch dropped a few min ago. Not seeing server 40 online yet...

http://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/discussions/0/615086038667469164/

Patch Notes:

Drake posted:

Current Version:

v170.0:

* Added missing "Spyglass" engram (like binoculars), which also enables you to craft the later glasswares. Moved the "Scope" Weapon Attachment to level 30, down from level 40.

* Balance: Fist Damage reduced by 20%, Argentavis AI aggressiveness reduced by 25%, Tran Arrow Tranq-Power increased by 20%, Slingshot Torpidity Power Decreased by 10%

* Reduced the rate at which food spoils in the inventory of an NPC creature, by 75%, to aid long-term creature maintenance

* Implemented a "Low Memory (4 GB RAM)" and "Low Memory DX10" launch options that reduces graphics and audio effects to save about 800 MB RAM, likely enabling 4GB RAM players to get past infinite-loading screens.

* Reimplemented stylish animated-movie loading screen, fixed up some graphics on the "Play Local" menu, exposed various gameplay options to the "Play Local" menu, so that you can more easily customize your own server or local play experience.

* Added an option to hide the Server Name from your Pause Menu, so that streamers don't have to give away what server they're playing on.

* Selfie orbit cam, [K] by default, now collides with structures geometry so that you can't use it to... spy... into other players' houses... creeper!

* Added 3 "PvP-Hardcore-OfficialServers"... for the truly hardcore (you have to create a new survivor after each death :)

* Added ?MapPlayerLocation command argument for player-hosted servers, when used will display the current player location on the 3D Map. (not very hardcore/realistic ;)

* Populated small pickupable rocks across all of the ARK's beaches, not just in the southern coasts.

* Increased # of server search from 50 to 100
* Filter "password protected" servers on the Steam backend, rather than locally, to return more servers

* Fixed a Localization crash
* AZERTY French keyboards can now rebind keys properly
* Initial DirectX10 Shader Model 4 support -- ubersky won't yet render :-P. Also reduces game memory footprint by ~400 MB

* Player counts on the server browser are now correct and accurate
* Getting "Winded" in water no longer prevents you from swimming upwards completely -- you now just swim upwards more slowly, and so are less likely to absolutely drown.
* Pause Menu now lists the Server name
* Server browser now has a list of "Survivor's Servers", upon whihc you have a survivor, Favorite Servers, and Friend's Servers
* Fixed an issue where NPC's would not attack often at lower-FPS times on servers
* Broadcast Server messages now force the chat to appear (typically used to notify of server maintance)
* Bonus Item Skins (Stomped Glasses, Cowboy Hat, Noble Saddle) are permanent, locked to your character, and given again after respawn (dropping them simply removes them if you don't want them -- if you want to keep them, apply them to an item).
* Fixed some graphical artifacts with the water, waterline, and underwater particles
* Slingshot torpidity multiplier reduced slightly
* Inventory Key can now be rebound
* Arrow keys now turn rather than strafe, and can be rebound

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

descoteaux posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/discussions/0/615086038667469164/

Patch Notes:

Argentavis AI aggressiveness reduced by 25%

:chord:

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

And the Itsy Bitsy Spider
went up the spout again.

I've been playing on some "the ninja pirates" server. Just hit level 10 while focusing on building engrams, I've got a nice three story wooden building with no roof so far. I think if I start from scratch again I'll work on equipment instead (armor) and just run around with no base until level 15 or so.

I met my first Carno today, it killed me and by the time I ran back my parasaur had killed it. This game is fun.

minchar
Feb 10, 2013

Rexicon1 posted:

For some people, I'll agree with you. There have been some ini tweaks and guides on how to make it work on most systems, but it's still low FPS sure.

I think the distinction, however, is that most survival games are basically an engine and a promise. This game hit EA with at least 100 hours worth of content just poorly optimized. If they quit development right now we'd still have a game that you could run at a good frame rate on whatever computer you build 2-4 years from now.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Is this like h1z1 where goons hype something to death and stop playing after one week? cause I like sandbox pvp douchebaggery as much as the next guy but I feel like these come and go so fast these days.

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

afkmacro posted:

Is this like h1z1 where goons hype something to death and stop playing after one week? cause I like sandbox pvp douchebaggery as much as the next guy but I feel like these come and go so fast these days.

We haven't seen the top of the crafting tree yet, but it seems like it's pretty extensive. You go from literally rags to building AK's with scopes and (according to the FAQ) powered turrets to defend base structures, so the desire to "max out" might make this last a little longer than what generally hits EA.

MrDorf fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jun 4, 2015

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Gonan hop on mumble and play with goons tonight. I'm up to level 10 having spent 0 engrams pretty much, just stealing poo poo from pubbies, I like that you can repair stuff without having to know the engram.

Picer
Mar 25, 2004

Other peoples ignorance puts food on my table.
Gonna start up on server 40 in an half hour or so, but ill wait with jumping in on mumble until i get a better idea on what's going on. I wanna explore some alone first.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Can you server hop with your dude?

Dipes
Oct 24, 2003
Where are the goons at on Server 40? I just started a character there. Looted a guy in pitch darkness who logged off right next to his friend 30 seconds after logging in. So funny. They never saw me and I'm all geared up

Picer
Mar 25, 2004

Other peoples ignorance puts food on my table.
Btw, any eurogoons playing and can tell me how the high ping of us servers work out ingame?

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006

afkmacro posted:

Ya this is what has me concerned. Given all the complaining about frame rates and how poorly optimized it is I think it might be best to wait a bit before jumping in. That being said it's really drat tempting. I've got one buddy playing it right now and he seems to be having a good time. Hilariously enough I had sent him the trailer a couple weeks back when it came out and his words were "that's the dumbest loving thing I've seen in a long time"......and now he bought it before the rest of our gaming group. :haw:

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Every survival game has come and gone. If you have $25, gently caress it, get some hours out of it.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
This really is probably the best survival game I've played on Steam, as unoptimized as it is

Messing about in nvidia control panel I was able to get my framerate up to 30fps on medium. On launch day I was getting 3fps on low

Bolded are the only settings I changed

VarXX fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jun 4, 2015

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log
Caught a pretty cool Dino Brawl on a private server today with Herbavores vs. an Albino Rex:

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
looks like 79 if the 80 servers are up but not mine ( server 7) maybe I should just join on 40..

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Has anyone gotten an ARK character server transfer to work? A friend is trying to get me to jump to his (private) clan server and I'm considering it until there's a perma-goon server up.

If so, details?

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

sushibandit posted:

until there's a perma-goon server up.

Our current progress with that.

minchar
Feb 10, 2013

sushibandit posted:

Has anyone gotten an ARK character server transfer to work? A friend is trying to get me to jump to his (private) clan server and I'm considering it until there's a perma-goon server up.

If so, details?

You have to visit one of the obelisks (the big towers floating in the sky) and use the terminal. On the terminal will be an option to "transmit data" and then, after clicking that, an option to "upload character data." Once that is completed you go to your new server and "download data" at the obelisk.

Note: this only works on servers that have specifically enabled "data download." The official servers currently have this disabled as I'm assuming they're still working on a way to make sure you can't transfer hacked characters to official servers.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

minchar posted:

You have to visit one of the obelisks (the big towers floating in the sky) and use the terminal. On the terminal will be an option to "transmit data" and then, after clicking that, an option to "upload character data." Once that is completed you go to your new server and "download data" at the obelisk.

Note: this only works on servers that have specifically enabled "data download." The official servers currently have this disabled as I'm assuming they're still working on a way to make sure you can't transfer hacked characters to official servers.

We pulled this off once to transfer to the private server we settled on a day ago and then the dick didn't update the server and took it offline so now the characters are either wiped or locked away from us. This is the problem with the whole system. If you are fleeing to a new server because then old one went down or never updated then you are probably gonna need to make a new character because your guy died with the server.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Drinkfist posted:

We pulled this off once to transfer to the private server we settled on a day ago and then the dick didn't update the server and took it offline so now the characters are either wiped or locked away from us. This is the problem with the whole system. If you are fleeing to a new server because then old one went down or never updated then you are probably gonna need to make a new character because your guy died with the server.

Hopefully the system will work by uploading a copy of your character to a centralised database and then data download enabled servers can pull the data from it. It is definitely a limiting factor.

People on reddit are losing their poo poo and trying like mad to find the magic bullet that'll make their lovely Intel HD4000 run more than a single frame per second, or posting AHA I FOUND IT accusations of why the performance is so bad. Meanwhile I sit here laughing like a jackal while idiots with no idea what they're talking about screaming about how they clipped through a rock and could see under the game world and they could see A PLANE OF WATER and OH MY GOD THAT'S WHY THE PERFORMANCE SUCKS THERE'S NO OCCLUSION CULLING like they have the slightest idea what the gently caress occlusion culling is. I don't know how anyone posts on reddit when there's such a high concentration of dumb idiot babbies.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
i got t-rex arms from a dead rex. killed by brontos. rip

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
I appreciate all the optimization they are doing. This is on Cry3, right?
Using 4 GB memory mode when I have 8 GB to make my game load almost instantly is sicknasty >:)

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
I'm sold. Bought it and will be on Mumble tonight.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

THE PENETRATOR posted:

I appreciate all the optimization they are doing. This is on Cry3, right?
Using 4 GB memory mode when I have 8 GB to make my game load almost instantly is sicknasty >:)

UE4 actually. It's funny how similar both engines look when at full detail settings. The underwater color refraction looks almost identical to cryengines implementation.

It's a custom renderer which explains why there's a lot of optimisation to be done that would otherwise already be included in the basic UE4 renderers.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

nightwisher posted:

UE4 actually. It's funny how similar both engines look when at full detail settings. The underwater color refraction looks almost identical to cryengines implementation.

It's a custom renderer which explains why there's a lot of optimisation to be done that would otherwise already be included in the basic UE4 renderers.

It's interesting that it is UE4 considering they are doing some funky screen space reflections that by default UE4 does better. They really don't seem to be leveraging the assets of UE. In other news youse' have forced me to try this game. I hope I can find some low ping server for Australian.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Sillybones posted:

It's interesting that it is UE4 considering they are doing some funky screen space reflections that by default UE4 does better. They really don't seem to be leveraging the assets of UE. In other news youse' have forced me to try this game. I hope I can find some low ping server for Australian.

I play on the official US servers from Brisbane and while it's a little janky at times you can do just fine. They're going to open up some Oceanic servers soon if you wanted to play local then I'd look at the officials since you can character transfer.

Yeah if you turn down the settings low enough you see your wielded weapon reflected in any body of water you're facing, no matter how far away.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
The fact that they are rendering water under all terrain could be the cause of the lag.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Clinton1011 posted:

The fact that they are rendering water under all terrain could be the cause of the lag.

The general way water is done is you have a water plane follow the character around which deforms and reacts to the local environment. Since the plane is always the same size and always present the cost is constant. Sure, you could save frames when on land, but then you'd still lag at the waters edge. This is typical of games.

I can't really work out why the game would run poor. Maybe they just have stupid detail models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Clinton1011 posted:

It would only be a problem if it wasn't occluding properly, and if it wasn't occluding properly the framerate would be way worse than it is already. Occlusion could probably still be tweaked, and there's definitely an issue of a void showing up in the water sometimes so that could be part of the problem. Really it's most likely that theres a million things that need to be optimized at this point and there's no one single magic fix. They probably haven't even touched LODs or anything yet seeing as how the game launched into early access with 4k textures.

VarXX fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jun 5, 2015