Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Edge won't have any extensions at release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
But it will eventually. On the other hand, right now IE11 is my browser for "I need this site to work and can't trust NoScript not screwing it up."

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 2, 2015

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
It doesn't really seem prudent to use Internet Explorer from a security standpoint. Even if a new from-scratch version is more secure, I still think you're going to see more severe security bugs than Chrome or Firefox. I also think those bugs are going to be exploited more rapidly and readily, and Microsoft will be slower about turning around patches. Maybe I'll turn out to be wrong and applauding Microsoft after a couple years, but I don't think so.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Alereon posted:

It doesn't really seem prudent to use Internet Explorer from a security standpoint. Even if a new from-scratch version is more secure, I still think you're going to see more severe security bugs than Chrome or Firefox. I also think those bugs are going to be exploited more rapidly and readily, and Microsoft will be slower about turning around patches. Maybe I'll turn out to be wrong and applauding Microsoft after a couple years, but I don't think so.

I really don't see the basis that Edge should be any more vulnerable, especially considering its whole gimmick involves dropping substantial legacy support.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Nintendo Kid posted:

I really don't see the basis that Edge should be any more vulnerable, especially considering its whole gimmick involves dropping substantial legacy support.

My main concern would be that, because it's on every Windows 10 device, it's a large target. Even if it's more secure than the competition, that's offset by more people digging for exploits.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Toast Museum posted:

My main concern would be that, because it's on every Windows 10 device, it's a large target. Even if it's more secure than the competition, that's offset by more people digging for exploits.

By that standard we should all avoid Chrome and Firefox because they're certainly available on a lot more devices currently than Windows 10 only browsers will be, for years to come.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Nintendo Kid posted:

it would be a lot easier to make Edge secure than legacy IE, but that doesn't mean they will pull it off even if they intend to. It also stands to reason that a new browser will have more security bugs simply because it's less mature.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Edge seems okay. Not great, but faster and nicer than IE for sure.

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but a Flashless web is awesome. Ever since Firefox did that update for H264 and I made another install for Win10 I've been going pretty much pluginless (And addon less almost as well). And it's been great. YouTube was the last reason I was using Flash and the fact that YouTube seems nicer with HTML5 than Flash is amazing. The only time I ever come across places that want Flash it's usually for annoying ads or stupid web games.

gently caress Flash, I hope it dies.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Edge's security gimmick is that it's trapped in the Windows Metro Modern Immersive App sandbox instead of the Chrome and IE11 style bespoke reduced privilege custom sandboxes. (Or the Firefox-style complete lack of any sandboxing at all.)

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Ublock keeps turning itself off and saying it doesn't have the right permissions? I have never had an extension do that? Do I have to run the browser as admin or some thing?

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Jippa posted:

Ublock keeps turning itself off and saying it doesn't have the right permissions? I have never had an extension do that? Do I have to run the browser as admin or some thing?

Try removing and adding the addon maybe?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

syntaxfunction posted:

Edge seems okay. Not great, but faster and nicer than IE for sure.

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but a Flashless web is awesome. Ever since Firefox did that update for H264 and I made another install for Win10 I've been going pretty much pluginless (And addon less almost as well). And it's been great. YouTube was the last reason I was using Flash and the fact that YouTube seems nicer with HTML5 than Flash is amazing. The only time I ever come across places that want Flash it's usually for annoying ads or stupid web games.

gently caress Flash, I hope it dies.

Yeah, I uninstalled flash a few weeks ago and there are only a few old sites with flash video players I can't view. I don't care enough about them to reinstall it just for that.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Jippa posted:

Are you sure you're not launching Chome? uBlock Origin for Chrome recently went through some permissions changes.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Soon it's going to be that just as the only reason for a home user to install Java is to play Minecraft, the only reason for a home user to install Flash is to read Homestuck.

Hope that this HTML5 flash plugin kills off that one, and that said plugin makes its way to Firefox for Android.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer
Why does the latest Firefox want me to put stuff in it's pocket? https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/38.0.5/whatsnew/?oldversion=38.0.1 It should at least introduce itself properly before putting it's hand in my pocket. :gay:

https://videos.cdn.mozilla.net/uploads/marketing/SpringCampaign2015/Firefox_Welcome_english.webm

Superb Owls
Nov 3, 2012
Yeah, about Pocket: I've had an account with those guys for a few years and I'm not so sure about moving from their add-on to the built in one Firefox made unless I can log into the built in addon with the same account I've had for the past few years.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

You can.

The only difference is that your saved pages are now under bookmarks instead of the pocket button.
Actually, the thing in your bookmarks is just a link to your online pocket page, so your saved sites are no longer directly available in the browser.

Tamba fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jun 3, 2015

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
The last few days when having multiple tabs open and closing one it jumps to the first tab. Before it would go to the tab that is next to it. Kinda annoying when I open a bunch of threads to have it jumping back to the first tab. I didn't change any settings but suggestions on where to look to maybe fix it?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Do you have any tab-related add-ons installed? Does it still do it if you restart Firefox in safe mode?

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
That worked, all of my addons are uBlock, SALR and Greasemonkey. The only script I have for Greasemonkey is SAplusplus. Which I have a feeling is the problem.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

calandryll posted:

That worked, all of my addons are uBlock, SALR and Greasemonkey. The only script I have for Greasemonkey is SAplusplus. Which I have a feeling is the problem.

I had to disable Greasemonkey because of that script (the only one I used, as well). It kept loving with tabs, like it is to you. Someone (with more JS knowledge than me) should re-write that. Or I'll ask the SALR dev to add that button to his extension.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

I like Mozilla. I used to use Pocket. (I've switched away from it because they don't support my Kindle). But I hope that they get a poo poo-ton of money for integrating a non-libre app.

Also their videos are like a parody of the new crop of bland corporate bullshit videos but I'm afraid they really think that users of Firefox want to see them.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

hooah posted:

I had to disable Greasemonkey because of that script (the only one I used, as well). It kept loving with tabs, like it is to you. Someone (with more JS knowledge than me) should re-write that. Or I'll ask the SALR dev to add that button to his extension.

The only thing I use for it is Open threads in tabs. I'll disable it and be done with it for now.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Is there an addon for firefox (or that other browser.. if I have to) that highlight overused words?

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Can you be more specific?

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Is there an addon for firefox (or that other browser.. if I have to) that highlight overused words?

Are you talking about something for writing you are doing? If so you may be better off looking for something in a dedicated writing program but I can't think of any at the moment that offer the feature you're talking about.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Grim Up North posted:

I like Mozilla. I used to use Pocket. (I've switched away from it because they don't support my Kindle). But I hope that they get a poo poo-ton of money for integrating a non-libre app.

According to this PCWorld article, Mozilla isn't getting any money from the integration.

quote:

A home-grown Reading List feature for Firefox is still under development, Chad Weiner, Mozilla's director of project management, said in an email. The browser maker chose to directly integrate Pocket so more users could take advantage of it. There's no monetary benefit to Mozilla from the integration: Pocket didn't pay for placement in the browser.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

What the hell that makes it even worse. There was no need to integrate it now, especially when they are developing their own.

browser.pocket.enabled = false to disable it.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
/\/\/\/\Thanks!

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Any idea why my graphic display driver would stop working when switching tabs in Firefox? This ONLY happens in Firefox, and I'm running the latest Nvidia drivers. The display driver always recovers, then firefox crashes.

I've disabled hardware rendering in settings, and Firefox seems oddly faster and snappier now too (wouldn't hardware be better assuming no crashing? :confused:). I also disabled any plugins I had that were related to tabs, just in case.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Snuffman posted:

Any idea why my graphic display driver would stop working when switching tabs in Firefox? This ONLY happens in Firefox, and I'm running the latest Nvidia drivers. The display driver always recovers, then firefox crashes.

I've disabled hardware rendering in settings, and Firefox seems oddly faster and snappier now too (wouldn't hardware be better assuming no crashing? :confused:). I also disabled any plugins I had that were related to tabs, just in case.
Uninstall your current drivers, remove the remnants with Display Driver Uninstaller, then reinstall the latest drivers. If you still have issues, try a clean Firefox profile. Also, what card do you have?

Alereon fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jun 4, 2015

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Alereon posted:

Uninstall your current drivers, remove the remnants with Display Driver Uninstaller, then reinstall the latest drivers. If you still have issues, try a clean Firefox profile. Also, what card do you have?

EVGA GTX 780. Haven't had a crash since switching to software rendering, but I'll give the clean driver install a go.

Thanks. :)

EDIT: Sorry for going all Haus of Tech on the thread.

Ok, overall things are running a lot better after the clean driver reinstall so it was totally worth it...BUT

I'm still getting video kernal crashes (with instantaneous recovery). I've narrowed it down though: Tab switching and youtube videos (embedded or youTube itself). Switching rapidly will crash the kernal reliably.

Flash problem? Firefox problem? I thought youTube was all HTML5 now and didn't need flash?

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jun 5, 2015

Fiskiggy
Feb 15, 2005

You have impressed FFCiv with your turn time!
They turn a blind eye to the turn times of other civilizations, and your Influence over them has increased by 40.
The biggest day-to-day performance improvement from a new laptop didn't come from the hardware, it's from forgetting to install Flash and realizing a few weeks later it's no longer required for any content worth viewing. I bet a majority of the install base is residual at this point.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Weird question (no weirder than the questions I usually ask I guess): does anyone know how to remove the minimize/maximize/close buttons in fullscreen mode?

e: looks like the Hide Caption Titlebar Plus extension can do what I need!

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jun 5, 2015

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Fiskiggy posted:

The biggest day-to-day performance improvement from a new laptop didn't come from the hardware, it's from forgetting to install Flash and realizing a few weeks later it's no longer required for any content worth viewing. I bet a majority of the install base is residual at this point.

Most UK broadcaster sites still use it, like BBC or Channel 4. Any way around needing Flash for them?

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

E: Never mind

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jun 5, 2015

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Most UK broadcaster sites still use it, like BBC or Channel 4. Any way around needing Flash for them?

Yeah, i genuinely find it interesting that so many people on here can get rid of Flash without missing it. My stupid dorky media consumption habit is Japanese pro wrestling, and the streaming service for that requires flash. Same with Dailymotion which is where you need to go for the smaller companies :(

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I let my parents have my old computer, and when I came back home, they complained about all the browsers having this as the default starting page:

http://www.%3C%21doctype%20html%3E

What's up with that, what caused it, is there anything I should fix (besides setting about :blank as the new starting page)?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Xander77 posted:

I let my parents have my old computer, and when I came back home, they complained about all the browsers having this as the default starting page:

http://www.

What's up with that, what caused it, is there anything I should fix (besides setting about :blank as the new starting page)?

If it's all your browsers and it's gibberish, it's a good idea to run a malware scan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I have only watched iPlayer via android/iOS apps, played on to a Chromecast on my TV in about the last year, so that's nice.

Channel 4's player is disgustingly full of ads, to the point that it's easier to steal the content. Their apps are also trash.

Google and Netflix are only just getting HTML5 w/DRM working and approved for use by the studios.

These tv channels are well behind technology wise so won't get rid of flash for a while,. Too many parties to approve the DRM stuff, and lots of ad-serving tech integrated into their flash players.

BBC will be first.