Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Clinton1011 posted:

The fact that they are rendering water under all terrain could be the cause of the lag.

A tessellated flat plane with a shader applied to it is not the source of the performance drops. Please don't repost idiot poo poo from reddit. A million games do the exact same thing.

The devs literally said it's totally and utterly unoptomised and that even beastly computers will struggle with it. Textures were 4k for christ's sake. But that doesn't stop a bunch of armchair graphics experts from clipping into a rock and suddenly knowing the entire renderer pipeline. I'm not at all apologising for how bad the game runs, but these uninformed people posting misinformation gets old really quickly. Gamers are loving experts in software development apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Goons are in the process of knocking out a T Rex right now. We have it trapped inside our base.

Massive amounts of slingshots and stones are being thrown.

EDIT: T Rex is down. Taming in progress.

Givin fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jun 5, 2015

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
A lot of optimization also comes from AMD and Nvidia, which is why drivers are like 2GB now btw

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Givin posted:

Goons are in the process of knocking out a T Rex right now. We have it trapped inside our base.

Massive amounts of slingshots and stones are being thrown.

EDIT: T Rex is down. Taming in progress.

Please report back in four hours where it drowns a few minutes after taming.

edit: This is not a joke. The number one leading cause of death of T-Rex's is drowning. Don't let safety sink.

Sillybones fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 5, 2015

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Sillybones posted:

Please report back in four hours where it drowns a few minutes after taming.

t-rexs are loving baddass, we tried to get one killed by luring it to brontos, trikes and raptors.

he hosed them all up and kept going

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
There's gotta be something wrong with my game, been trying to join server through the ingame browser with no luck, I can see other people getting in through the steam server info.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

Jackard posted:

There's gotta be something wrong with my game, been trying to join server through the ingame browser with no luck, I can see other people getting in through the steam server info.

Not specific to your game, that's half the struggle of actually playing the game right now, actually being able to connect to a server.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Ever since the last update, my resolution is so gigantic that I can't click the options button on my main menu to fix it :(

Raioner
Mar 28, 2006

Is there a second server goons are playing on #40 is locked for about an hour now?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Does anyone have the mumble link? Gonna hop on now and try and make my way to the goonbase.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I guess all the servers are full? I'm getting server full for any server I try to join even if it lists player count at 0/70. Also amazing is that the check mark to "don't show full servers" will list servers at 70/70.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Stringbean posted:

Ever since the last update, my resolution is so gigantic that I can't click the options button on my main menu to fix it :(

Yeah it forced me into 1600x900 and wont let me increase it but i can swap to the lower ones just fine

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

JuffoWup posted:

I guess all the servers are full? I'm getting server full for any server I try to join even if it lists player count at 0/70. Also amazing is that the check mark to "don't show full servers" will list servers at 70/70.

The checkmark is to show not full servers, actually.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

THE PENETRATOR posted:

The checkmark is to show not full servers, actually.

And yet they are all full with some even listing 70/70 players which would be full. Meanwhile other servers listed as 0/70 are also full.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I played for 5 minutes and requested a refund

maybe in a few months ill pick it up when the game isnt a pile of unoptimized butt

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Eonwe posted:

maybe in a few months ill pick it up when the game isnt a pile of unoptimized butt

Graphics patches are going to come pretty quick. This taxes the poo poo out of my machine because of optimization but still getting like 30-40 fps

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Eonwe posted:

Just get a new computer scrub

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
yea

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

JuffoWup posted:

And yet they are all full with some even listing 70/70 players which would be full. Meanwhile other servers listed as 0/70 are also full.

There is a dropdown at the bottom that allows you to change to view unofficial servers. All of the official servers are full 24/7. I don't know how to queue into them.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

what happened to your old avatar? this one isn't doing it for me

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Eonwe posted:

It works now and I can play on High settings. Fail. Upgrade your 350 GT.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

THE PENETRATOR posted:

It works now and I can play on High settings. Fail. Upgrade your 350 GT.

wow i have a way better video card than th at

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

nightwisher posted:

what happened to your old avatar? this one isn't doing it for me

sometimes i make people so mad they buy me an avatar

this is the 3rd in the last week plus I had someone donate $150 to bernie sanders in order to make me stop posting in the star citizen thread for a month

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?

Eonwe posted:

wow i have a way better video card than th at

I have fun and a playable frame rate on a laptop with a 555m, it looks like rear end but I don't have very high standards, I'm friends with grithok

Shadefyre
Jan 6, 2010

nightwisher posted:

t-rexs are loving baddass, we tried to get one killed by luring it to brontos, trikes and raptors.

he hosed them all up and kept going

I'm telling you, the albinism made it 300% stronger.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
I'm on a GTX 560 and I cant get steady above 10fps even at the lowest of settings, in case someone was considering getting this game with a similar system

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
T Rex killed by spy j4g.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I want to like this game but goddamn it runs like rear end.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Elderbean posted:

I want to like this game but goddamn it runs like rear end.

its been out 2 days

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Had to request a refund. The games runs just incredibly poorly on my computer which is one of them silly high spec things. Even with tiny resolution and settings all turned down. It is amazing what they have achieved here.

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

I'm on 660ti and after config manipulations from here http://www.reddit.com/r/playark/comments/38g04t/optimized_config_for_midend_cards_boots_fps/ it's at least playable
Just gonna wait till they fix it to actually play it :effort:

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

Google Butt posted:

its been out 2 days

They probably should have pushed back the release then, early access or not, if your game can barely run on 980/titan x's, you should probably sit down and do some work.

minchar
Feb 10, 2013

nightwisher posted:

Hopefully the system will work by uploading a copy of your character to a centralised database and then data download enabled servers can pull the data from it. It is definitely a limiting factor.

They said it's going to be uploaded to the "steam economy" whatever the gently caress that means.

37th Chamber posted:

They probably should have pushed back the release then, early access or not, if your game can barely run on 980/titan x's, you should probably sit down and do some work.

I'm really not sure what to do with stuff like this. Early access games get poo poo on for coming out with no content constantly. Now we have one that comes out with lots of content but rear end for optimization, but that's not okay either. I mean what is early access for if not releasing their current build and getting feedback/iterating on that?

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!
I have a 660ti which is the lowest card the game officially supports, and I get 30-50 fps on low/medium settings. If you have a better card than that and can barely run the game, lower your settings. More optimizations will come. I can't believe people are actually requesting refunds for an early access title.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
I found the goon base, which is a veritable paradise, and logged.

i7 5930K, Titan Z card and 32GB of RAM, and this game runs really rough on my system. All the pieces are there, but it's a resource hog and not really fluid enough from a framerate or netcode standpoint to be any good for PVP.

Despite all that, game is very deep, and entertaining in many ways. I enjoy what they're doing and just hoping they capitalize on it.

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jun 5, 2015

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
i5 3550 @ 3.8Ghz, 8GB DDR3 and a 7850 2GB old rear end videocard, i get 30-50fps with everyone on medium except high textures and low shadows, all the SSAO stuff turned off at 1440x900. Turned the sky quality and ground clutter all the way down. Still looks decent and runs well though it bogs down around jurassic ark when there's a tonne of people around. It needs SERIOUS optimisation but quite frankly I'd rather have an EA game with a lot of already implemented gameplay and poo poo performance than vice versa. Optimising is easier than desperately trying to implement your pie in the sky game design fantasies into your 17kb ultra-tuned engine.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I don't think it's that crazy. People saw the trailer that said actual gameplay and they expected the game to look and run like that. As far as I can tell there's no combination of settings or hardware that will make it look like it does in the trailer, which is what is most disappointing for me personally.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I don't think it's that crazy. People saw the trailer that said actual gameplay and they expected the game to look and run like that. As far as I can tell there's no combination of settings or hardware that will make it look like it does in the trailer, which is what is most disappointing for me personally.

It does make you wonder what hardware they had it running on.

Or more likely it was a canned sequence that wasn't recorded in realtime to eliminate any possible jerkiness.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
welp apparently some twat killed the t-rex before it was tamed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006

nightwisher posted:

It does make you wonder what hardware they had it running on.

Or more likely it was a canned sequence that wasn't recorded in realtime to eliminate any possible jerkiness.

I just watched it again. Was trying to pickup anything "janky". The only major thing I noticed is that during the part where a guy is riding a brontosaurus if you look at him closely in the saddle he's kinda jerking around / stuttering.