Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Jack B Nimble posted:

The weirdest thing about Fallout to me is that everything looks like the bombs JUST fell. I mean rubble in the streets, junk on the shelves, it's nuts. It's been centuries! I think it's a case of Fallout 1 and 2 not having any graphical detail to really worry about it, but then 3 and new vegas are just weird. Supermarkets that still look like they've got original goods in them? And in Goodsprings, old motorcycles and cars just hanging about the place for generations and generations?

Fallout 3 was purportedly supposed to take place a lot earlier in the timeline, until suddenly some weird directive got passed down that every game in the series had to take place in chronological order. Then New Vegas just had to use a bunch of Fallout 3's assets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

JawKnee posted:

What parts of FO1 and FO2, besides the intro songs, would you say are reminiscent of 1950's Americana?

Well, there's the entire aesthetic of both games, for one thing...

But besides that, there's the whole undercurrent of 50's culture as well as American history as a whole. Republican morons tend to talk about the 1950s as if it were a sort of "Golden Age" for America, when it was more like a second Gilded Age in many respects. Though the 1960s is always remembered as a time of change and upheaval in American history (which it most certainly was), the 1950s was also a time of great change and instability in many respects. Fear was the undercurrent of the whole decade, thanks both to the Cold War and the threat of nuclear annihilation, as well as the fear of change from within. The 1950s was the decade where the Civil Rights movement got it's start, and the Civil Rights movement was the second great American movement towards it's most focused-on founding principle:

"All men are created equal."

It's always been the most focused-on line in the Declaration of Independence, in part because in practice it's been patently false throughout American history. Hell, the line was written by a guy who owned slaves and raped them on occasion. However, American history has been a long-rear end journey towards this principle, one that is still far from reaching it's destination to this day.

Hilariously enough, it took global nuclear war to largely realize this concept--throughout the entire Fallout series, there doesn't seem to be much sexism or racism. There's no reason to discriminate among the sexes and races when the survival of the human race is dependent on cooperation between everyone in a radioactive wasteland.

The upheaval of the 1950s is most definitely present in both Fallout 1 and 2, especially in the big bad villains of both games--the Master's Army and the Enclave. Both organizations were trying to achieve that status of all men being equal, just going about it in the wrong ways. They're two sides of the same coin, really:

The Master tried to make everyone equal by turning everyone into a Supermutant, against their will in some cases. This is also an unsustainable society because everyone is sterile.
The Enclave tried to make everyone equal by murdering everyone who was unequal :v: (at the same time, the Enclave is clearly supposed to be the embodiment of everything bad about American history, government, and culture rolled into one).

Fallout 3 was clearly the most superficial about it all, but it still had the hyper-nazi Enclave as the Big Bads. And New Vegas still fits into this narrative--the NCR, the unquestioned Good Guys in Fallout 2, have some cracks in the foundation of their society and are reverting back to pre-war America in many respects. House is a god-awful Ayn Rand clone, representing what is arguably the most rotten part of American society today. And the Legion, clearly the Big Bads of New Vegas, still try to emulate the ancient society that America itself tried to emulate in 1789 right down to that great big American historical elephant in the room, Slavery.

In conclusion, Fallout is an American as gently caress game in every respect (EDIT: much more so than just the opening music :rolleyes: ), and I can't say that I care about what happened in other parts of the world in this series, and I think it's silly for other people to care that much. If you want a Canadian/Chinese/Japanese/British/Arabic/Uzbekistani Fallout game that focuses on cultural themes for those countries, make one yourself, or convince someone from those countries to make them.

Sheen Sheen fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jun 5, 2015

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
Oh, and everyone complaining about this game will buy it and put 100s of hours into it and blah blah blah

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Ghouls don't age at all, but they can (and often do) go Feral and lose their minds. In fact, originally it was only the bombs that dropped in 2077 that caused people to become ghoul-ified so thats another thing Fallout 3 hosed up!

For a while they went back and forth with it being a result of radiation, radiation and FEV then back to just good ol' SpoooOOOOooOOooky Radiation. Now some creatures are a result of being horribly mutated and some are a result of being exposed to FEV.

FEV itself has a long rear end history that keeps changing so who knows.

One of the Ghouls in Underworld breifly tells you what it was like the night the bombs fell but really doesn't go into much detail, only that the onset was gradual and affected most people who survived the initial radiation sickness.

Edit:

Zoe posted:

It's just that everyone is lazy and can't be bothered to do anything for themselves, like all NPCs.
They were all too busy boarding up every building and pulling the tires off every vehicle and piling them up in random spots.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jun 5, 2015

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Jack B Nimble posted:

Who knows; I think the short answer is Bethesda tried too hard to link their game to the old ones. But that's not the worst thing about fallout's setting/premise.

The weirdest thing about Fallout to me is that everything looks like the bombs JUST fell. I mean rubble in the streets, junk on the shelves, it's nuts. It's been centuries! I think it's a case of Fallout 1 and 2 not having any graphical detail to really worry about it, but then 3 and new vegas are just weird. Supermarkets that still look like they've got original goods in them? And in Goodsprings, old motorcycles and cars just hanging about the place for generations and generations?

It's just that everyone is lazy and can't be bothered to do anything for themselves, like all NPCs.

oh hello new page

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Ghouls don't age at all, but they can (and often do) go Feral and lose their minds. In fact, originally it was only the bombs that dropped in 2077 that caused people to become ghoul-ified so thats another thing Fallout 3 hosed up!

I agree, the exact process of the creation of ghouls is v. important

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Exactly. 200 years after the fact, there should really be either zero people, or tons of them. The environment should be mostly regrown either way, while any manufactured goods like canned food or motorcycles should be useless.

That said, exploring a deserted DC was super fun, including all the metro tunnels. I'm looking forward to seeing more of The Institute, and crazy android shenanigans. Hopefully with gunplay that's a few orders of magnitude better than FO3's was. Hopefully the modding community will be a little better this time around too; I'd love to be able to be able to download my fast-travel disabling mod without having to skim past 80 Sexy Raider packs, but of course that's asking for way too much.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 5, 2015

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Jack B Nimble posted:

Harold from Fallout 1, 2 and three.

Heh... I ignored the appearance in Fallout 3 on purpose.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Sheen Sheen posted:

Hilariously enough, it took global nuclear war to largely realize this concept--throughout the entire Fallout series, there doesn't seem to be much sexism or racism. There's no reason to discriminate among the sexes and races when the survival of the human race is dependent on cooperation between everyone in a radioactive wasteland.

Well, not exactly. Humans don't really need to be racist towards skin type when there are Ghouls and supermutants that are more more outwardly different than they are. And all you have to look at any sex joint or The Legion to see that sexism really didn't go anywhere when the bombs fell. But yeah, the game is American as gently caress and it'd be hard to really do the same thing with any other culture instead of just making S.T.A.L.K.E.R. or Metro and going from there (funny that the biggest nuclear post apocalyptic games are either from an American or from Russia/Former Soviet cultural perspective).

PittTheElder posted:

Exactly. 200 years after the fact, there should really be either zero people, or tons of them. The environment should be mostly regrown either way, while any manufactured goods like canned food or motorcycles should be useless.

That said, exploring a deserted DC was super fun, including all the metro tunnels. I'm looking forward to seeing more of The Institute, and crazy android shenanigans. Hopefully with gunplay that's a few orders of magnitude better than FO3's was. Hopefully the modding community will be a little better this time around too; I'd love to be able to be able to download my fast-travel disabling mod without having to skim past 80 Sexy Raider packs, but of course that's asking for way too much.

"But it'd take effort to make a real city and not just several blocks of boarded up nothing". Honestly, if the loving Mad Max game has cities that look more alive or can grow towards the actions of the player than in Fallout 4, Bethesda can just stop trying and let other people design the game for them full time. I really hope that whatever city scape that was shown in the trailer actually has a majority of people living in it or has the potential to be cleaned out and b re-inhabited. You can keep most of the map wild, but let's have some settlements look like they've had the more than 200 years to grow.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I only played the first two DLC of Fallout 3 and I can scarcely remember anything positive about them. Operation Anchorage stripped all the role-playing elements out of the game in favour of bog-standard shooting which isn't really the appeal of the game. The Pitt was a dreary, linear chore and the only choice I was allowed to make was whether or not to kidnap a baby. I chose to spare the child and in doing so I realised I had accomplished absolutely nothing nor had I effected any change on the landscape. Can someone please summarise the next three DLC expansions? I'm not going to play them.

Point Lookout: you go to a misty swampland and fight yokels with more hit points than a super mutant, and their weapons do something like 50 unblockable damage except for when you use them, then they become peashooters. Great atmosphere though, and fun main characters.

Broken Steel: You wake up after the game's ending and decide to really, actually properly, for good this time, definitely defeat the Enclave once and for all.

Mothership Zeta: you get beamed up to an intergalactic spacecraft and fight aliens. The aliens are just hovering above the planet beaming people up now and again. They have no plan or motive, and eventually you kill them all.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Every major settlement is going to be five buildings and 30 NPCs behind a loading screen like it always is, their engine cant handle anything more as seen by the mods that try to fix those issues.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Sheen Sheen posted:

Oh, and everyone complaining about this game will buy it and put 100s of hours into it and blah blah blah

Of course we will but making fun of it for however long until release is more fun than just going OH LOOK AT HOW COOL THIS IS

Also there's currently nothing but a lame trailer that could just as well have been for fallout 3 so it doesn't actually have anything cool to talk about

khy
Aug 15, 2005

So has this link been mentioned here yet? My wow raid leader sent it to me today.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fallout/comments/28v2dn/i_played_fallout_4/

Can't personally claim real/fake but so far everything we know for sure about the game is backed up by that post 11 months ago, so...

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It's been linked, some of it's kind of got the ring of truth which makes it a very good fake. I'm convinced by the leaked script audition stuff because that says "I learned from my army days that war... war never changes" and the trailer says "our soldiers were right... war... war never changes".

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

khy posted:

So has this link been mentioned here yet? My wow raid leader sent it to me today.

Can't personally claim real/fake but so far everything we know for sure about the game is backed up by that post 11 months ago, so...

its probably real-ish

there are some things that definitely are wrong but they had so much thats right that at least something like that probably happened

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I assume it's fake if only because I'd like to believe someone isn't stupid enough to do that.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

It's almost definitely fake since she takes credit for the Kotaku leak but the Kotaku leak didn't come from a Bethesda employee, it came from an employee at the studio that does their VA.

As has been pointed out before, most of the stuff in there that seems true-ish was in the Kotaku leak months earlier, or could be an educated guess based on that.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Remember the part in the trailer where the main guy was stuck in an office with Robots and Androids?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Man, no matter what I'm buying this poo poo on day one.
Real brave stance, I know.
Let's hope a spinoff is an isometric game because I love them so very much.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

khy posted:

It's fake, the only verified aspects were taken from the earlier casting call leak, and all the extraneous information is wrong with what we know now.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I bet you have to go back in time for some dumb reason.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Inzombiac posted:

Man, no matter what I'm buying this poo poo on day one.
Real brave stance, I know.
Let's hope a spinoff is an isometric game because I love them so very much.

Well, considering the other games by Bethesda in the last 10 years... that's a pretty safe bet if you want to support the dev. It will be pretty buggy at release but give it a few months and the game will be fine and will have great amount of mods. Since it "looks" like they are keeping the engine at least at the same platform level, you can bet the modders will descend en masse on this one (well, unless they try to pull another "charge for mods" fiasco as with Skyrim", hmm...). So for PC, especially if ordered with a discount, it's a fairly safe bet.

For spinoff, they are most likely going to use same engine as Fallout 4 so doubt it's going to be isometric. Think FNV here.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Crabtree posted:

"But it'd take effort to make a real city and not just several blocks of boarded up nothing". Honestly, if the loving Mad Max game has cities that look more alive or can grow towards the actions of the player than in Fallout 4, Bethesda can just stop trying and let other people design the game for them full time. I really hope that whatever city scape that was shown in the trailer actually has a majority of people living in it or has the potential to be cleaned out and b re-inhabited. You can keep most of the map wild, but let's have some settlements look like they've had the more than 200 years to grow.

Well, FNV Reno was kind of like that. It was pretty large (well, for Bethesda) if you include outskirts. I really wish we'll get an RPG that will do a large city Yakuza style with a lot of just shops, people walking around, etc... GTA does that too of course and so does Sleeping Dogs.

Sharp_angus
Aug 10, 2005

I just love the game. I can't get enough of hackey!

Snak posted:

I just think it'd be kind of funny if the only living being who remember what life was like before wasteland was a dog. Dogs are intelligent, compassionate, social animals, so I don't mean it just as a dumb joke. The dog would get that everything is hosed and the humans really need some help. But at the same time, the dog can't like, tell us where society went wrong.

edit: V Especially the lies.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

I wonder if you'll be able to have a female super mutant companion.

Sleazoid
Nov 13, 2007

I will be playing with the load order of this game, and maybe the game itself to make sure said load order works

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

What if the main playable character is actually THE DOG :eek:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Lord Chumley posted:

Is. Denver is mentioned in that state many times in NV.

The Legion dog trainer at The Fort in New Vegas grew up around Denver where his tribe worshipped the animal gods before Caesar kicked their asses.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

super macho dude posted:

if not

day one mod

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

super macho dude posted:

Nah, you're a robot brain in the dog's body.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Jack B Nimble posted:

The weirdest thing about Fallout to me is that everything looks like the bombs JUST fell. I mean rubble in the streets, junk on the shelves, it's nuts. It's been centuries!

The general mindset about what a post-nuke world would be, from the eras that Fallout draws from, is paradoxical. It was assumed that the world would be an irradiated wasteland (because if it wasn't, there wouldn't be any onus to avoid a post-nuke world), but at the same time all the buildings wouldn't be too destroyed because American Craftmenship couldn't possibly be totally beaten by a world war. Sure, they'd be rubble and ruins, but they wouldn't vanish.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

super macho dude posted:

Then I might actually buy this game.

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

MAYBE A DINGO ATE YOUR K/D
Fallout 3 was awesome because of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eraRn7qlJYs

And also the "Cha Ching" sound every time you got XP.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

CheeseFactory posted:

And also the "Cha Ching" sound every time you got XP.

im glad they got rid of it in new vegas

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

That leak post is real because it says a licensed shovelware dev studio will be making the spinoff this time.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Cavauro posted:

That leak post is real because it says a licensed shovelware dev studio will be making the spinoff this time.

Oh so Obsidian will be returning to fallout after all? :smug:

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

MAYBE A DINGO ATE YOUR K/D

2house2fly posted:

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Steezo posted:

I wonder if you'll be able to have a female super mutant companion.

How could you tell the difference, I mean besides the name?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

2house2fly posted:

drat dude. Your edge is like Hella sharpe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Tamayachi posted:

How could you tell the difference, I mean besides the name?

Ask.

• Locked thread