Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

Look Under The Rock posted:

Anyone who hasn't been active today is a chode

Seconded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

You should probably start with the short story collection Oblivion first as Infinite Jest is pretty hard to get into if you have no knowledge of his style before starting. f'real don't get me started on Wallace rants in this thread.

btw I don't even know what the Ecco gambit is?

I'll take a look at Oblivion as I really do enjoy short stories. I've been going through The Complete Short Stories of Ernst Hemingway and just finished Nightmares and Dreamscapes by Stephen King. (I also occasionally do short stories for the Thunderdome in CC but that's a separate issue and I've been a little flaky.)

I had originally planned to read a history on the French Revolution, but I might throw Wallace in there instead because he sounds interesting.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Who's around?

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me
nobody useful, apparently

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Quandary what happens when there's a four way tie for vote leader?

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Bleh. ##vote QuidProQuid

If anyone's willing to move to Shanakin I'm happy to move back as I feel he's a better dunk for today, call this a self-preservation vote in a sea of apathy

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Thoughts on Shananananakin: Lurky and lacking in content. I called him out on this problem and was convinced he was newbie scum in Coins of Kerm (1), (2) and he ended up flipping town. I'm a little edgy to lynch him for that reason. Admittedly, the case on him is not because he is suspicious but to make the game more enjoyable by eliminating a lurky player. Still worried about this justification being easily exploitable for scum.

An Addendum: Shanananananananananananakin and Gridlocked are friends in real life and played off each other throughout Kerm (3). Whereas Shananananananananananannanananananananananakin was suspicious as hell, Gridlocked was the most active player in the game and contributed a substantial amount. Gridlocked is certainly not playing that role in this game, and it is making me a little wary.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Shanakin made the post that Grid thought was funny enough to vote Taste, right? If they're real life buds that kinda throws Gridlocked in a different light for me.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

Quandary what happens when there's a four way tie for vote leader?

Player with the most recent vote gets lynched

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

i'm useful + around + already voting for scum

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

LUTR, what do you think of 100 Years of Solitude?

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

QPQ if you vote Shankakin you might be able to save yourself.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

CCKeane posted:

QPQ if you vote Shankakin you might be able to save yourself.

What if I vote 100 Yrs?

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

QuoProQuid posted:

What if I vote 100 Yrs?

I'm very trustworthy, QPQ. Good things will happen if you vote Shakakin.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

QuoProQuid posted:

I have not played with 100yrs before, I think. So I'm totally unfamiliar with their meta. I am having trouble parsing a lot of their early posts, which is weird because they go on to accuse you of intentionally obscuring your posts.

I have a problem with their most recent post, saying that they are intentionally taking individual post histories rather than the thread as a whole to catch up, because I think you miss a lot of context that way and they go on to say that reading that way changes they way they see certain cases. This is not really cool in my book, but I don't know if it's an alignment tell.

All in all I'm inclined to give 100yrs some grace since they just replaced in, there's not a whole lot of post history there, and some weird stuff, but nothing so terribly scummy that I feel the need for them to be today's dunk.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

QuoProQuid posted:

I have not played with 100yrs before, I think. So I'm totally unfamiliar with their meta. I am having trouble parsing a lot of their early posts, which is weird because they go on to accuse you of intentionally obscuring your posts.

I have a problem with their most recent post, saying that they are intentionally taking individual post histories rather than the thread as a whole to catch up, because I think you miss a lot of context that way and they go on to say that reading that way changes they way they see certain cases. This is not really cool in my book, but I don't know if it's an alignment tell.

All in all I'm inclined to give 100yrs some grace since they just replaced in, there's not a whole lot of post history there, and some weird stuff, but nothing so terribly scummy that I feel the need for them to be today's dunk.

I legitimately thought you were asking about the novel.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Hmmmmm....

Quandary, please modkill every player that hasn't posted while I think.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

CCKeane posted:

The novel is p. good. I was sad when Márquez died last year.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

CCKeane posted:

I have not read that one.

I don't read anything but William Gibson nowadays because my brain craves his sexy cyberpunk candy

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

I have not read that one.

I don't read anything but William Gibson nowadays because my brain craves his sexy cyberpunk candy

It's a little unconventional, but if you are looking for some good science fiction A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter Miller is absolutely phenomenal. It is one of my favorite books and I highly recommend it.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

NPR did a radio drama based on it a few years back and I've introduced a few people to the book through it. It's also really good and does a wonderful job of conveying the tone of the novel through a different medium.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

who hasn't read a canticle for leibowitz though

my non-sci-fi reading mom has read it

there's a babylon 5 episode

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Pinterest Mom posted:

PMom vote Shankakin.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

QuoProQuid posted:

NPR did a radio drama based on it a few years back and I've introduced a few people to the book through it. It's also really good and does a wonderful job of conveying the tone of the novel through a different medium.

We have a copy of that here. I have wanted to read it for a while but I get very limited time to read so it's generally mainlining that sweet Gibson poo poo into my neurons

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Pinterest Mom posted:

i dont usually pay attention to sci-fi

i barely know what babylon 5 is and have never seen star wars

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

CCKeane posted:

PMom vote Shankakin.

i feel good about my vote

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Pinterest Mom posted:

PMommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm you're killing me.

I am dying! DYING!

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Pinterest Mom posted:

You're basically voting for QuidProQuid you know

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

"Before reaching the final line, however, he had already understood that he would never leave that room, for it was foreseen that the city of mirrors (or mirages) would be wiped out by the wind and exiled from the memory of men at the precise moment when Aureliano Babilonia would finish deciphering the parchments, and that everything written on them was unrepeatable since time immemorial and forever more, because races condemned to one hundred years of solitude did not have a second opportunity on earth."

##vote: 100 Yrs

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

##vote 100year hi

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

gulag :swoon:

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

GulagDolls posted:

##vote 100year hi

literally last minute
wow where have you been

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

gulag, you ruined my dramatic lyncing of 100yrs by quoting from 100 yrs

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i was at the store looking for magical neutrosleep bottles, which don't exist

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Day 2 Final Vote Count

100YrsofAttitude (4): Pinterest Mom, Somberbrero, QuoProQuid, GulagDolls
QuoProQuid (3): 100YrsofAttitude, dscruffy1, Look Under The Rock
Look Under The Rock (1): QuoProQuid, MEDS CURE SCHIZOS, -QuoProQuid
Shanakin (1): [sub]Look Under The Rock, CCKeane, -Look Under The Rock[/s]

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

GulagDolls posted:

i was at the store looking for magical neutrosleep bottles, which don't exist

Convenience stores yo. They're kinda by sports drinks.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

i had to go and look up what the last line of that book was

all that waiting for naught

((im just kidding, gg gulag))

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

QuoProQuid posted:

i had to go and look up what the last line of that book was

all that waiting for naught

((im just kidding, gg gulag))

and the tide was way out

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

and the tide was way out

Good thing the first result on Google for "and the tide was way out" brings me to a blog devoted to David Foster Wallace. Otherwise that reference would have goon *wooooooooosh* over my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Yesterday Met, today 100Yrs. A little tar, a little feathering, a little pushing off the boat and 100Yrs was no longer a member of the crew. The crew hoped they'd made the right decision, but a search revealed nothing suspicious. One thing did stand out, however: 100Yrs was one of the lucky ones who was able to grab a knife in the chaos after the murder of the captain, and he died before he had a chance to use it. As the one who sealed 100Yrs fate, GulagDolls was closest to the knife and snatched it up. It remains to be seen how he uses it.

100YrsofAttitude, sailor, was lynched Day 4
GulagDolls has recieved a knife

14 people are alive. Day 5 will end tomorrow, 6/5/15, at 11 PM EST.

Mod prods will be going out to those who have not been posting satisfactorily.

Quandary fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jun 6, 2015

• Locked thread