Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
I dump a pound of ginger directly into a 1kW centrifugal juicer and get 250-500ml of ginger juice so strong that a teaspoon will completely overpower most drinks. Suffice to say this lasts me a while. Add in my carbonation equipment and buying ginger ale/beer just can't compete, even ignoring quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Anyone ever try to make an aviator? It's an aviation with creme de cassis instead of creme de violette. I bought some cassis a few weeks back and I'm looking to gently caress around with it. It's an under appreciated liqueur, IMO. Very sweet and pungent.

Lenisto
Nov 1, 2012
Reed's Extra Ginger is noticeably spicier than their Original version, it's really good. Barritt's is what we've got at my job, it makes a decent Mule but it's only a touch hotter than ginger ale.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Ralith posted:

I dump a pound of ginger directly into a 1kW centrifugal juicer and get 250-500ml of ginger juice so strong that a teaspoon will completely overpower most drinks. Suffice to say this lasts me a while. Add in my carbonation equipment and buying ginger ale/beer just can't compete, even ignoring quality.

This post made me realize that there's a million juice places around me that all have commercial juicers. I can probably walk into any one of them with a kilo of ginger and a couple bucks and they'll juice it for me. Thanks!

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

angor posted:

This post made me realize that there's a million juice places around me that all have commercial juicers. I can probably walk into any one of them with a kilo of ginger and a couple bucks and they'll juice it for me. Thanks!
I never even thought of trying that. Let us know how it works out! With powerful equipment, a kilo of ginger will produce more ginger juice than you'll know what to do with unless you're making huge bowls of punch or something. Be prepared to freeze some.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Ralith posted:

I need to make a carbonation rig. Does anyone have a DIY one that doesn't involve shaking the bottle or buying a sodastream? I want to try making stevia-sweetened ginger beer, but you can't naturally ferment/carbonate with stevia.

I have a juicer. I'm not sure how strong it is, but it should do.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I need to make a carbonation rig. Does anyone have a DIY one that doesn't involve shaking the bottle or buying a sodastream? I want to try making stevia-sweetened ginger beer, but you can't naturally ferment/carbonate with stevia.

I have a juicer. I'm not sure how strong it is, but it should do.
Shaking the bottle is a necessary step--you have to literally mix the CO2 in, or else it won't dissolve in any reasonable amount of time. Why do you want to avoid that? You don't even need to shake any more than you do a good cocktail. Less, really.

Assuming you're willing to see the light and do a little light shaking, here's your shopping list. Unless otherwise noted, I strongly recommend the specific item linked over alternatives.

This should run you a bit under $200 in total. My 20lb CO2 tank has lasted me more than a year and a half on its first fill, so don't be afraid to go smaller, but it only costs $15 to fill a 20lb tank, so don't be afraid to go big either. :shrug:

Assembly:
  1. Remove the hose barb outlet fitting/cutoff/check valve assembly from the regulator
  2. Wrap a couple layers of teflon tape around the NPT threads (those are the ones that don't have a smooth tapered bit at the end) of the new JIC 37° output fitting, being careful to wind in the same direction as the threads so it doesn't bunch up when you screw it in
  3. Securely wrench the new fitting in place of the old one. You can use a fair amount of force here (NPT makes a seal by the threads squishing against eachother) but be careful that the shutoff valve ends up at a convenient angle when you're done wrenching, and don't strip anything.
  4. Screw the hose onto the output fitting on the regulator and onto the CMB gas outlet. Do not use a wrench--this only needs to be finger-tight.
  5. Screw the regulator onto the CO2 tank, using only moderate force. The seal here is made by an O-ring, so you only need to use enough force to be sure it's securely squished up against the tank opening

Use:
  1. Fill a soda bottle with something you want to be fizzy. Be sure it's very cold--CO2 dissolves much better in cold liquid. Leave 1/4 to 1/3 of the bottle empty. If you can, shove some ice cubes in there with it to cool it down even more.
  2. Squish all the remaining air out of the bottle and screw "The Carbonator" onto it. You don't need to use too much force here, again, there's an O-ring.
  3. Set the regulator to the desired pressure as per its instructoins (I use 50PSI)
  4. Open the tank valve
  5. Open the cutoff valve
  6. Pull back on the ring of the CMB gas outlet and shove it down on the peg of "The Carbonator" for a second, then remove it. The bottle should pressurize dramatically.
  7. Shake vigorously. If what you're carbonating is mostly water and/or alcohol, the pressure should disappear from the bottle as the CO2 dissolves.
  8. Repeat previous two steps until shaking no longer results in a noticable pressure drop. Do not leave the gas outlet attached while shaking, or you'll get liquid into the hose, which will have to be cleaned out if you don't want crap growing in there.
  9. Close valves
  10. Leave the bottle to sit and settle for a little while to reduce foaming
  11. Open very carefully, watching for excessive foaming. If there's milk or cream in whatever you just carbonated, god help you.

If your system is perfectly assembled, you can in theory leave all the valves open and nothing will leak.

When considering drinks for carbonation, remember that dissolved CO2 in water forms carbonic acid, which means it'll make things somewhat more tart.

Ralith fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jun 5, 2015

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

George Zimmer posted:

Anyone ever try to make an aviator? It's an aviation with creme de cassis instead of creme de violette. I bought some cassis a few weeks back and I'm looking to gently caress around with it. It's an under appreciated liqueur, IMO. Very sweet and pungent.

I'll give that a shot tonight. I also have a bottle of crème re myrtille that might sub okay for the violet, too. Though I've yet to try it.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Splinter posted:

That's unfortunate, and not really what I was expecting after all the rave reviews I read. Any tiki books by other authors worth looking at?

I still think Remixed is worth getting. Lots of great info and fun to read. The thing about tiki though is that it's loving impossible. It's exhausting. The drinks can be transcendent, but you work for them. Also my heartburn has gotten worse since I first started doing tiki, so the citrus kick is more troublesome now.

Bubz
Mar 11, 2012
I like remixed as well. Didn't like any of his Singapore Sling recipes as much as the Raffles one, but there's some nice stuff in there. I can recommend the app as well. I like his Luau Scorpion, Jet Pilot and Three Dots recipes.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

The Ancient Mariner and the Jungle Bird are both gold, as are Hell in the Pacific and Doctor Funk.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 5, 2015

Bubz
Mar 11, 2012

Kenning posted:

The Ancient Mariner and the Jungle Bird are both gold, as are Hell in the Pacific and Doctor Funk.

Thanks for the tips, I'll try those. Except for the Jungle Bird. I'm scared of Campari.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Bubz posted:

Except for the Jungle Bird. I'm scared of Campari.

:confuoot:

Campari is delicious. And it isn't bitter or anything crazy in a Jungle Bird, rather adds a nice herbal complexity and makes the drink amazing. Anything less intense than Campari would be completely drowned out and the whole drink would be unimaginative, thick, and cloying.

Bubz
Mar 11, 2012
I made a Fish House Punch today based on the recipe in the Death & Co book I picked up the other day. I don't have Massenez creme de peche so I used De Kuyper peach schnapps instead. I know...

It's really quite sweet. Is that the .5 oz of De Kuyper, or is it meant to be sweet? I mean, it does start off with four sugar cubes.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

How crazy am I for considering this for a cookout this coming weekend if I make the grenadine and possibly adjust sweetness? Leaning toward going for it as it was requested but a pitcher of Jungle Bird as a safe option keeps butting into mind.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Crazy because it's Bobby Flay. Can't go wrong with the Jungle Bird.

Sondheim
Dec 10, 2007
FUCK YOU SANDY
Well, this thread was a pleasant find.

Especially considering I needed some reading material in bed the morning after celebrating my bar's successful Negroni Week with a few too many wackjob variations. The last one was Smith and Cross, Cynar, and Punt e Mes, which: delicious, also ouch.

Any other bar/restaurant folks have an intra-workplace prize for selling the most charity Negronis this week? I won a 750 each of Beefeater, Campari, and Carpano.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Butch Cassidy posted:

How crazy am I for considering this for a cookout this coming weekend if I make the grenadine and possibly adjust sweetness? Leaning toward going for it as it was requested but a pitcher of Jungle Bird as a safe option keeps butting into mind.

You will regret making that punch. It will be terrible and you will remember me telling you so.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

At least from the FN, Aunt Sandra didn't make things with a million parts sugar.

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006

Kenning posted:

You will regret making that punch. It will be terrible and you will remember me telling you so.

That Bobby Flay punch is obviously bad, but did you ever come to a conclusion on the Alton Brown recipe? I mean, I'd be hard pressed to find anything that holds a candle to the Pinkhouse Punch (I've made it twice now; always a hit), but I'd like to know how that episode holds up.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Could you link it? I seem to remember it was a relatively sound foundation, but it would need tweaking for balance. Also, isn't it a bourbon punch? I've always had mixed results with bourbon. I think the sharp woodiness is a bit tough to integrate into a punch.

Super jazzed you like Pinkhouse Punch so much, btw. It's one of my proudest achievements.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Sondheim posted:

Well, this thread was a pleasant find.

Especially considering I needed some reading material in bed the morning after celebrating my bar's successful Negroni Week with a few too many wackjob variations. The last one was Smith and Cross, Cynar, and Punt e Mes, which: delicious, also ouch.

Any other bar/restaurant folks have an intra-workplace prize for selling the most charity Negronis this week? I won a 750 each of Beefeater, Campari, and Carpano.

No competition, but that is a hell of a prize. What was your charity?

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006

Kenning posted:

Could you link it? I seem to remember it was a relatively sound foundation, but it would need tweaking for balance. Also, isn't it a bourbon punch? I've always had mixed results with bourbon. I think the sharp woodiness is a bit tough to integrate into a punch.

Super jazzed you like Pinkhouse Punch so much, btw. It's one of my proudest achievements.

It's awesome. I just wish I had more occasions to bust it out.

Here's the recipe. It was Rye, not bourbon.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/cape-fear-punch-recipe.html

The other punch from that episode, just for posterity.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/good-eats-company-punch-recipe.html

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Oh yeah I remember this one. If you were to kick the sugar up to a pound and the lemon juice up to a pint it actually looks pretty workable. Much too dry and boozy as written though.

Sondheim
Dec 10, 2007
FUCK YOU SANDY

bloody ghost titty posted:

No competition, but that is a hell of a prize. What was your charity?

RAMP, the Research Association for Missing Persons. They're currently organizing an online database/resource center/24-hour call center for people who have lost loved ones. Our service director's friend founded it after losing a member of her family two years ago, so we got pretty fired up about it with one of our own having skin in the game.

I've got enough liquor to make roughly 33 Negronis, and I couldn't be more excited and terrified.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Kenning posted:

Oh, I know. It was requested by a friend and my inner host is in debate between delivering as requested while attempting to polish the turd and being the responsible adult that says, "gently caress you, here is a pitcher of Jungle Bird that is better in every way."

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

If you fresh-juice a pineapple for your Jungle Bird then no one could possibly hold you in judgement.

Bubz
Mar 11, 2012

Kenning posted:

If you fresh-juice a pineapple for your Jungle Bird then no one could possibly hold you in judgement.

It's pretty amazing what a difference fresh pineapple juice makes. I thought I wasn't a big fan of Singapore Slings until I tried it with a freshly juiced pineapple. Wow!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
ahhh

first jungle bird

ahhh

just get back to me in the morning

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

:toot:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

So, after reading this thread, I have an insatiable lust for a negroni. However, I don't want to drop $20 on a bottle of campari if I am never going to drink it again. Thoughts? (Never had a negroni)

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, after reading this thread, I have an insatiable lust for a negroni. However, I don't want to drop $20 on a bottle of campari if I am never going to drink it again. Thoughts? (Never had a negroni)

go to a bar?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
What are some good things to do with lilet blanc? I got a bottle to make corpse reviver no. 2s with, and those are great, but I'm interested in other uses. Especially something where the lilet is more forward.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Get a cocktail recipe book and learn to do more than one thing with campari.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm telling you, Campari and beer. You know it's a man's drink because my whole rugby team is scared to drink it.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm telling you, Campari and IPA.

Now you're talking.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Ralith posted:

What are some good things to do with lilet blanc? I got a bottle to make corpse reviver no. 2s with, and those are great, but I'm interested in other uses. Especially something where the lilet is more forward.

Get a cocktail recipe book and learn to do more than one thing with campari.

The Stone Fruit Sour is an isomorphism of a CR2 that uses apricot brandy instead of Cointreau and peach bitters instead of absinthe. It's also good as gently caress.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

bunnyofdoom posted:

Man up, shits delicious.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Meh, I've tried Campari in a crapton of drinks and negroni variations and I still think it's nasty. I'd even prefer arak over it at this point. Certainly give it a try but if you don't like it, oh well. Plenty of other great cocktails out there that contain no Campari.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Do they not have tiny bottles at your liquor store?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

The Hebug posted:

Campari and IPA

There's a bar in my city that had a cocktail on their menu last summer consisting of tequila, Campari, IPA, lime juice and maybe something else and it was incredible. People tend to look down on beer cocktails for some reason but I actually can't recall having one that didn't at least kind of work.