Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I got a question while I'm at work. Does firing a gun at nothing still raise your marksman and weapon type skills?

Back when I played a few years ago I'd end up with large surpluses of low end pistol and rifle ammo (.22, .32, etc) which I'd just use up by grabbing a Ruger or whatever and burning ammo to improve my skill.

If not I guess it wouldn't be hard to go into town and pot-shot zombies.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jun 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Turtlicious posted:

I'm re-posting these to get them added to the OP they're both very necessary and important.

I don't know about some of those tips. For instance, I wouldn't recommend taking High Thirst as a "safe bet". There's no guarantee you'll have access to renewable water in your starting location or your early game safe-haven, it slows down book-reading sprees, and most dangerously, can mutate further into Very Thirsty which sucks. Sure, you can deal with the drawbacks by early-mid game, but it can make the early game pretty difficult for a new player. Similarly, Glass Jaw is totally overrated as a negative. I find when I take it, then my character is basically guaranteed to die from a lucky headshot, even with heavy armor protection. I recently lost a very promising character with it who got ambushed by an NPC while reading books, couldn't get away and got one-shot with a shotgun to the head. Novice MA as a starting profession is a waste now that skill books for martial arts can be found in dojos., libraries, etc. (And taking self-defense classes for the Ninjitsu/Muey Thai/Krav Maga would be a better skill investment anyway as those books are more rare). Junk food intolerance cuts out a huge source of early-mid game food for characters uninterested in hunting, foraging, farming. Ugly and Truthteller are only "no downsides" if you're playing with NPCs off; if you aren't, they still aren't bad choices but have greater risk.

I think you could probably pare it down to the objectively great perks/drawbacks. Any character will benefit from Quick, Parkour Expert, or Fleet-Footed (or a combination thereof). Night Vision is godly. Robust Genetics is excellent. Animal Empathy is great for the cost. Fast Reader and Fast Learner are excellent. For downsides, Forgetful is free points if you turn skill rust off, which you should. If NPCs are off, Ugly and Truthteller are also free points. Lactose Intolerant only affects a small amount of non-perishable food for the amount of points you get. Wool Allergy is easy to deal with. Trigger-Happy isn't even a problem for the majority of ranged firearms and now that excess burst rounds target nearby enemies it's almost a perk.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Also Truth Teller barely matters at all even with NPCs on, since all lying really does is let you try to cheat people out of stuff without actually doing their dumb missions, and you can just trade them for poo poo and ignore the missions until they die to get them out of your journal anyway. Ugly is actually sort of Not Great though since recruiting an NPC and asking them to teach you stuff is a really useful way to semi-quickly learn skills that are otherwise a huge pain in the rear end to increase (I've recruited multiple NPCs with 10 First Aid, and I recruited one with like 7 Launchers once).

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Turtlicious posted:

I'm re-posting these to get them added to the OP they're both very necessary and important.

I'd tweak a few of those suggestions.

For character creation, I really wouldn't suggest picking something other than survivor for your first few runs. Having winter clothing, a knife, and a fire source right away is incredibly useful, and after getting used to that I'd suggest switching to a medical resident rather than a junkie. Throwing a point into mechanics is also one I'd make an exception for, as tearing cars apart needs mechanics 2. A high perception really isn't (nor was it ever) necessary for land mine detection, as the fields were pretty obvious even before they got the signs added. Instead of wheedling around with picking out which negatives have the least impact, I'd suggest just bumping your points up. That way you know how much you're padding yourself and can aim to reduce that (or not, if you just like being a superhuman).

When scavenging early, I tend to bring along two duffel bags and throw them on the ground somewhere near where I'm going to start looting. Then you can run around with low encumbrance and just make a few trips back to drop off items at the duffel bags. When I'm done, I put on the duffel bags and pick up my mountain of stuff and start hiking home. It can be hilarious if a cougar decides to attack me, but the enemy radar type thing is your best friend. And remember: torso encumbrance doesn't impact your throwing.

Rooting through bushes is generally a far better way of increasing survival as it's pretty fast and you can get some useful things out of the deal (gallon jugs, food, etc). With sprinting and clever use of terrain you can pretty easily get away from random woods nasties nowadays, so it's also a lot less dangerous than it used to be on day 1.

With tailoring, I'd suggest not grinding unless necessary to prevent yourself from freezing. You can 300 thread per long string with a few very quick disassembles, and with that and a handful of rags I'd instead just pick up and repair all the damaged clothing that drops. Repairing/reinforcing gives a constant amount of xp per level and doesn't take a huge amount of time. Obviously make whatever you would want to wear every time you gain a level, but grinding it up on day 1 soaks up a LOT of time that's better spent looting. Also, I don't normally try to reinforce my clothes until tailoring 2 or so because of the chance to damage them instead.

For fabrication 1, making lockpicks instead of fish hooks is a far better use of the scrap metal; you'll end up with a dozen or so which should last you pretty much forever, and they're far handier than a crowbar beyond the first day. For fabrication 2, I'd suggest wooden needles instead of the knitting needles; the slightly longer craft time gets you significantly more XP and they use half the skewers (or splintered wood). I'd also append wooden clogs as a way to get fabrication 4 and plastic bottles/gallon jugs as a way to get fab 5 as they're both incredibly easy to knock out within the first week.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I have a confession to make.

I am solely responsible for the existence of zombears.

You're welcome.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Leif. posted:

I think you could probably pare it down to the objectively great perks/drawbacks. Any character will benefit from Quick, Parkour Expert, or Fleet-Footed (or a combination thereof). Night Vision is godly. Robust Genetics is excellent. Animal Empathy is great for the cost. Fast Reader and Fast Learner are excellent. For downsides, Forgetful is free points if you turn skill rust off, which you should. If NPCs are off, Ugly and Truthteller are also free points. Lactose Intolerant only affects a small amount of non-perishable food for the amount of points you get. Wool Allergy is easy to deal with. Trigger-Happy isn't even a problem for the majority of ranged firearms and now that excess burst rounds target nearby enemies it's almost a perk.

I'd debate Animal Empathy versus Animal Discord. It is nice being able to potentially melee hunt, but Discord doesn't have that great an impact on play. You need to skirt around moose and bears, which you should be doing anyway. Either way, they're 1 point, if you need a swing point, grab whichever strikes your fancy.

Packmule is a great perk. A 40% capacity increase to everything you wear means a lot in terms of both encumbrance and looting speed. Strong Back can be helpful in the same vein, but isn't quite worth the points to me.

Heavy Sleeper is also a low-risk drawback. It's almost a perk, since you can sleep with a running car engine nearby. Poor Hearing synergizes well for that purpose as well.

My basic trait loadout, the things I tend to stick on any character no matter their niche:

Positive: Night Vision, Packmule, Quick.
Negative: Forgetful, Heavy Sleeper, Poor Hearing, Trigger Happy, Truth Teller, Ugly, Weak Stomach.

I play with NPCs on, and the only trouble I've had with Truth Teller/Ugly was when someone held up my character with a flamethrower. I had a 2% chance to tell him I meant no harm. :supaburn: It probably wouldn't have gone well even without Ugly, I tend to just ignore Speech/Barter.

But for those just starting, don't take my word (or anyone's word) as gospel. Play around, see what you like and what you can handle. Play a schizophrenic vegetarian masochist with tough feet. Shake things up a bit. You don't become a great cook by only following recipes, despite how this game's skill system works.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I just threw together a new Infected character intending to play with the new reach weapons and maybe eventually make a badass motorcycle knight. The starting NPC gave me a free inhaler, which I traded back to her for the antibiotics she was carrying plus some other stuff. She is also wielding a katana and happily agreed to come with me. This is off to a good start!

mormonpartyboat posted:

Throwing a point into mechanics is also one I'd make an exception for, as tearing cars apart needs mechanics 2.

On the other hand, if you get your hands on a soldering iron, a decent supply of batteries, and a safe spot with lots of metal furniture (display racks etc) or a car wreck, you can raise your Mechanics a couple of levels by just sitting around trying to reinforce tin cans and poo poo. It's decent practice, relatively fast, and consumes basically zero materials until you start successfully repairing and reinforcing things semi-consistently, at which point it's still relatively material-efficient since it only uses a pittance of batteries and a bunch of scrap metal (which is ridiculously easy to acquire). It's a bit of grindy screwing around compared to just starting with Mechanics 2, but it's not particularly difficult, so you can put that point somewhere else if you really want Night Vision (you definitely want Night Vision) or +1 Perception or whatever.

e: you can also forego a crowbar for the most part and just bring a soldering iron and improvised pick with you everywhere for less weight and volume. Use the pick to crack things open, then repair it with whatever scrap you can find or make to get easy experience.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jun 4, 2015

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Angry Diplomat posted:

On the other hand, if you get your hands on a soldering iron, a decent supply of batteries, and a safe spot with lots of metal furniture (display racks etc) or a car wreck, you can raise your Mechanics a couple of levels by just sitting around trying to reinforce tin cans and poo poo.

True, though I tend to be pretty :spergin: about hoarding batteries, to the point that I always end up with tens of thousands of them having only used a few flashlight flicks.

I think the next character I make needs to be a strongly enforced nomad, in that I don't make a stash/use a wheelbarrow at all. Hopefully that'll break me of a few bad habits.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

mormonpartyboat posted:

True, though I tend to be pretty :spergin: about hoarding batteries, to the point that I always end up with tens of thousands of them having only used a few flashlight flicks.

I think the next character I make needs to be a strongly enforced nomad, in that I don't make a stash/use a wheelbarrow at all. Hopefully that'll break me of a few bad habits.

If you take Packmule, crank up Tailoring and make the right equipment you are basically a wheelbarrow in that you can haul around hundreds of volume units worth of stuff without having a crapton of encumbrance. Nomad gear, double helmet netting, a high-storage coat, and so on will effectively "let you carry more stuff than you can carry" due to your weight limit becoming a bigger issue than your volume limit. Plus you won't give much of a poo poo about cold or rain, and reinforcing all that crap with leather/Kevlar and extra thread/metal/etc will make you hilariously resistant to damage.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Not exactly great summer wear though. :v:

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Leif. posted:

Similarly, Glass Jaw is totally overrated as a negative.

The current advice on Glass Jaw is an overly generalized version of the advice I used to give on Glass Jaw. If you're still buying points of strength at 1 point per level, taking Glass Jaw and putting all 3 points into strength is a negligible drawback that costs around 10-15 net head HP and gives you that amount to every other bodypart. Considering your head is the most rarely targeted body-part it's a pretty solid choice if you want strength for other reasons, too.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
I'm thinking really minimalist, like no backpack kind of deal. Wear stuff in a way that would physically make some sense, etc.

I think I'll have to try it and then maybe mod in a few pieces of equipment to help carry around some tools. Probably a survivor toolbelt esque item with scabbard functionality, then adding a sheath_sword flag to some smaller items like the hatchet or entrenching tool. Alternatively:

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Not exactly great summer wear though. :v:

oh yeah also need to add cargo hotpants

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I disagree on some counts

mormonpartyboat posted:

I'd tweak a few of those suggestions.

For character creation, I really wouldn't suggest picking something other than survivor for your first few runs. Having winter clothing, a knife, and a fire source right away is incredibly useful, and after getting used to that I'd suggest switching to a medical resident rather than a junkie. Throwing a point into mechanics is also one I'd make an exception for, as tearing cars apart needs mechanics 2. A high perception really isn't (nor was it ever) necessary for land mine detection, as the fields were pretty obvious even before they got the signs added. Instead of wheedling around with picking out which negatives have the least impact, I'd suggest just bumping your points up. That way you know how much you're padding yourself and can aim to reduce that (or not, if you just like being a superhuman).

People aren't really going to want to do something that "feels" like cheating, I'd rather tell them how to abuse the system, I agree with you that medical resident is better then junkie, but wouldn't failed cyborg be better then both?

mormonpartyboat posted:

When scavenging early, I tend to bring along two duffel bags and throw them on the ground somewhere near where I'm going to start looting. Then you can run around with low encumbrance and just make a few trips back to drop off items at the duffel bags. When I'm done, I put on the duffel bags and pick up my mountain of stuff and start hiking home. It can be hilarious if a cougar decides to attack me, but the enemy radar type thing is your best friend. And remember: torso encumbrance doesn't impact your throwing.

Why not just find a cart or wheel barrow? Much more storage and no encumberance

mormonpartyboat posted:

Rooting through bushes is generally a far better way of increasing survival as it's pretty fast and you can get some useful things out of the deal (gallon jugs, food, etc). With sprinting and clever use of terrain you can pretty easily get away from random woods nasties nowadays, so it's also a lot less dangerous than it used to be on day 1.

Yeah, this was written before foraging, and foraging is pretty great! I think you're right on that, I'll re-write the guide.

mormonpartyboat posted:

With tailoring, I'd suggest not grinding unless necessary to prevent yourself from freezing. You can 300 thread per long string with a few very quick disassembles, and with that and a handful of rags I'd instead just pick up and repair all the damaged clothing that drops. Repairing/reinforcing gives a constant amount of xp per level and doesn't take a huge amount of time. Obviously make whatever you would want to wear every time you gain a level, but grinding it up on day 1 soaks up a LOT of time that's better spent looting. Also, I don't normally try to reinforce my clothes until tailoring 2 or so because of the chance to damage them instead.
You're not supposed to be reinforcing until Tailor 2, that's why you craft and uncraft a sling / handrags.

I personally don't think you should be raiding until night fall, when the enemies can't see you.

mormonpartyboat posted:

For fabrication 1, making lockpicks instead of fish hooks is a far better use of the scrap metal; you'll end up with a dozen or so which should last you pretty much forever, and they're far handier than a crowbar beyond the first day. For fabrication 2, I'd suggest wooden needles instead of the knitting needles; the slightly longer craft time gets you significantly more XP and they use half the skewers (or splintered wood). I'd also append wooden clogs as a way to get fabrication 4 and plastic bottles/gallon jugs as a way to get fab 5 as they're both incredibly easy to knock out within the first week.

You can turn fishing hooks back into nails, so you don't lose any mats.

These are just my thoughts though, what are yours?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Turtlicious posted:

Sometimes the stores where those spawn which you can actually see to start off are past a whole bunch of zombies or otherwise inconveniently located/out of the way. Hell, if your luck is bad enough you might not have any stores that spawn those nearby and will have to hit the road to find some, or make them yourself when you have the mechanics and tools to remove the frame and wheels you need. Wheeled suitcases you could find in the average house would be nice for that even if they only carried like 1/2 or 3/4ths of what a shopping cart could and I'm tempted to try and hack one together to add to the game. Also torso encumbrance is meaningless if you never have to do melee, and all you have to do to make that work at no skill is put together enough nailboard traps that you can make the hordes walk themselves to death.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah but couldn't you make a frame out of wood and ropes then just plop items into that?

e: you need 2 light wooden frames, a rock and some nails, then you can put a travois on a cart, get 200 volume, and can drag that around.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jun 4, 2015

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I got a question while I'm at work. Does firing a gun at nothing still raise your marksman and weapon type skills?

Back when I played a few years ago I'd end up with large surpluses of low end pistol and rifle ammo (.22, .32, etc) which I'd just use up by grabbing a Ruger or whatever and burning ammo to improve my skill.

If not I guess it wouldn't be hard to go into town and pot-shot zombies.

Yep! Whenever I find a BB gun I usually take it to the basement of the evac shelter and mash f + pad6, shooting the wall for a few minutes can get you from 0 to 4 marksman/rifles with one stack of BBs. Assuming you take breaks to rebuild focus.

Not just shooting skills but everything works this way, any activation of a skill can train it. Sometimes I take a moment to punch the walls of the shelter when I spawn a new character to get melee 1.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Turtlicious posted:

Yeah but couldn't you make a frame out of wood and ropes then just plop items into that?

Hm, so you can! Have to bust down 36 (!) curtains for the rope though since you need two frames to make it work, but the only other requirements are a rock and lots of smashed furniture.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

CheeseThief posted:

Yep! Whenever I find a BB gun I usually take it to the basement of the evac shelter and mash f + pad6, shooting the wall for a few minutes can get you from 0 to 4 marksman/rifles with one stack of BBs. Assuming you take breaks to rebuild focus.

Not just shooting skills but everything works this way, any activation of a skill can train it. Sometimes I take a moment to punch the walls of the shelter when I spawn a new character to get melee 1.

How do you do that? Just (s)mashing the wall?

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

chiefnewo posted:

How do you do that? Just (s)mashing the wall?

Yes, although it only trains to 1 and won't train a weapon skill. It's not really worth it most of the time.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Hm, so you can! Have to bust down 36 (!) curtains for the rope though since you need two frames to make it work, but the only other requirements are a rock and lots of smashed furniture.

Cutting seat belts off cars is faster.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Bleh, I'm going to take another break from this game.

I spotted a survivor NPC near my base, turned out to be friendly amazingly enough so I figured I'd take her back to base and have her guard the doors. The goddamn second I open the door she starts helping herself to my stash, picking up my atomic lamp and poo poo and WOULD NOT GIVE IT BACK. I had to smash her head in right there but she had to die on top of the ammo pile and then there was like 20 rotten fish in the ammo pile WHICH IS NOT WHERE THAT GOES AMILLIA.

I forced quit out of the game so I wouldn't be stuck with that save but the last one was hours ago in terms of progress, I just don't have it in me to do it all again.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
I found your problem, it has 3 letters, starts with N, and ends in C.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Million Ghosts posted:

I found your problem, it has 3 letters, starts with N, and ends in C.

"Not having autosave turned onC"

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Those NPCs can be useful for automatically gathering and hauling stuff back to base, just wander by a gun store, head over to the hardware store, stop by the grocery store and once you get back home burst fire a shotgun in their face. Thanks packmule you can rest now.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
That is deliciously manipulative.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Turtlicious posted:

People aren't really going to want to do something that "feels" like cheating, I'd rather tell them how to abuse the system, I agree with you that medical resident is better then junkie, but wouldn't failed cyborg be better then both?

You're not supposed to be reinforcing until Tailor 2, that's why you craft and uncraft a sling / handrags.

I personally don't think you should be raiding until night fall, when the enemies can't see you.

You can turn fishing hooks back into nails, so you don't lose any mats.

These are just my thoughts though, what are yours?

That's kind of the point, though - it's "cheating" either way, so why not just set the points higher and save the effort.

It's more 'day one' thoughts. Getting duffel bags before leaving the shelter is a thing, being sure of finding a good vehicle isn't. Making a travois is possible, but it's 200 storage vs the 240 of the duffel bags and dragging it around without wheels is pretty slow.

Not reinforcing your own stuff, you get it up by reinforcing zombie gear. You can normally get 4-5 skill rolls on each kill, which adds up. It's a little tedious, but saves a LOT of in-game time. I tend to do it until I get tailoring up in the 6-7 range, and combined with the fabrication grind items you can get survivor gear hilariously early.

I always raid during the day, since it's much harder for things to go south. Abuse LOS and sight ranges, pull only one zombie at a time, clear out streets before going into buildings, etc. Mark big scary things and come back later, with fire.

The lockpicks thing is just because of their utility. If I'm going to grind from 0-1, I'd rather have something useful.

All minor nits either way.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

turns out the best sidearm in the game is a sawn off saiga with a folding stock. stick that in a holster and you are ready to go, as quick drawing seems to get rid of the whole "takes longer to ready" penalty that folding stocks add. 10 00 shots is more than enough for anything that comes your way.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jun 5, 2015

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

"Hey buddy, hold these V8 engine blocks for me. I'll tell you why later..."

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I just realized an obvious "profession" that was missing from the game.

code:
[
    {
        "type": "profession",
        "ident": "FrankWest",
        "name": "Photojorunalist",
        "description": "Sometimes it surprises even you just the places you'll go for the next big scoop, but you can handle it. You've covered wars, ya know."
        "points": 0,
        "items": {
            "both": [
                "dress_shirt",
                "jacket_leather",
                "pants",
                "leather_belt",
                "socks",
                "dress_shoes",
                "bat",
                "camera_pro",
                "battery"
            ],
            "male": [
                "boxer_shorts"
            ],
            "female": [
                "bra",
                "panties"
            ]
        }
    }
]

Bonus points for starting in a mall. :v:

[edit] Actually is wrestling a martial arts style? If so, he should totally have that...

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jun 5, 2015

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I have a horrible confession to make. Every time I start playing with non-slow zombies I quit the game after the first combat. Zombies are supposed to be slow and easy to take one-on-one, dammit.

Anyone feeling the same has some advice on tweaking the spawn rate to make the game challenging after I master up the basics?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Doesn't the spawn setting effect non-zombies as well?

That said, it might be interesting to play a game/world where you set the mods up so only mundane/slow zombies spawn (no specials, no misc weird monsters) and then crank the spawn rate through the roof.

And yeah, I prefer slow zombies too. :v:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

That said, it might be interesting to play a game/world where you set the mods up so only mundane/slow zombies spawn (no specials, no misc weird monsters) and then crank the spawn rate through the roof.

I've done that, and spawned next to a mall. It was my second game and didn't know how to turn off safe mode then. :suicide:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I find the most interesting things digging through military wreckage.

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Are there any tilesets out for this? Also, is there a singleplayer or is it survival sandbox?

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
There are several tilesets available in the options, and so far it's singleplayer only.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Captain Gordon posted:

Are there any tilesets out for this? Also, is there a singleplayer or is it survival sandbox?

There is quite the option for tilesets. Most of them look like poo poo IMO, but I like Retrodays (the one in my screenshot above your post).

You can see a comparison of various tilesets in this post in Daeron's Informative Let's play of the game currently going. Might be worth reading to see what its like and get some starting tips.

Ass-Haggis
May 27, 2011

asproigerosis confirmed
The game is worth it, Gordon. It's allowed me to go from hapless idiot to Cyborg Pyromaniac Samurai Jack.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Walking around a hospital, slicing zombies open with my monomolecular blade, then I see the "piercing beam of light" message and half the loving hospital collapses. I figure a flaming eye must've somehow spawned inside, so I go look for it, it happens a couple more times. Finally, I bust through the newly made hole in the wall, and what do I see but a flaming eye off in the distance...fighting a zombie dog.

Dumbass had such bad aim he didn't hit it a single time. I just sighed, blasted him three times with my FAL, finished off the dog for good measure, and went back in to actually loot the place. This loving game.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Some monsters have incredibly crappy aim and/or damage capabilities and will fight each other for basically forever without making a scratch. You see it a lot in swamps.

Also from playing around with the debug menu a bit, shoggoths are the ultimate single combatant because almost nothing can do enough damage to take them down before they regenerate. Funnily enough their actual damage capabilities are fairly average/mediocre so a fight between a friendly and hostile one will never end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Were you just pitting monsters against each other or trying to kill things with the 'best' setups?

Could you set off explosives via RPG, collapsing the building on top of them for maximum damage?