Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

I thought most of the thing that mutated in fallout was because of a mix of radiation/FEV and mostly FEV. There is a few tape in fallout 1 or 2 that talk about it saying radiation alone couldn't cause such mutation. There was huge vats of FEV laying around in some bases in the use so when the bomb fell it went airborne and contaminated everything. That's why most ghoul changed in 2077. I am citing this by memory but I am sure that if I am wrong I didn't miss the mark by much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Tamayachi posted:

How could you tell the difference, I mean besides the name?

In my game, the male super mutants have big green turgid erections under their ripped pants and the women have gaping wet vaginas weeping through their pants, so it seems pretty easy to tell the difference?

I Am A Robot
Jul 1, 2006

Tamayachi posted:

How could you tell the difference, I mean besides the name?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkRzBJ6lg1g

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!

Khanstant posted:

I bet you have to go back in time for some dumb reason.
Wouldn't be the first time.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Bleusilences posted:

I thought most of the thing that mutated in fallout was because of a mix of radiation/FEV and mostly FEV. There is a few tape in fallout 1 or 2 that talk about it saying radiation alone couldn't cause such mutation. There was huge vats of FEV laying around in some bases in the use so when the bomb fell it went airborne and contaminated everything. That's why most ghoul changed in 2077. I am citing this by memory but I am sure that if I am wrong I didn't miss the mark by much.
I think that's the case for pretty much everything but ghouls.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
There's some idle chatter with Super Mutants wherein one of them (in an obvious masculine voice) says to another that it remembers having memories of being a mother, or something.

Bleusilences posted:

I thought most of the thing that mutated in fallout was because of a mix of radiation/FEV and mostly FEV.

If my memory of the Fallout Bible is accurate, a lot of folks called Avellone out for that, under the pretense that it's goddamned Fallout (wherein the bulk of the stories have radiation making poo poo Big And Angry because that's what Radiation does), not FEVout.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
I hope they do something interesting with the music and sound. The music in Fallout 3 was pretty awful, the radio got old quickly and the ambient tracks were really dull (especially compared to FO1/2). If you turned off the music the game felt incredibly lifeless and quiet. I don't think they improved that much with Skyrim--tonnes of environmental sounds were missing, combat sounded really crap, and it felt like they plastered music over everything to make the lack of sound less noticeable. I think I'd like it if they did more ambient and environmental sound while you're out exploring, and leave the music to key areas like towns or outposts, or story sections. For the most part the exploration music in FO3/Skyrim was really bad and if they can't improve it I'd rather not have it at all.

VoltairePunk
Dec 26, 2012

I have become Umlaut, destroyer of words

Buck Turgidson posted:

I hope they do something interesting with the music and sound. The music in Fallout 3 was pretty awful, the radio got old quickly and the ambient tracks were really dull (especially compared to FO1/2). If you turned off the music the game felt incredibly lifeless and quiet. I don't think they improved that much with Skyrim--tonnes of environmental sounds were missing, combat sounded really crap, and it felt like they plastered music over everything to make the lack of sound less noticeable. I think I'd like it if they did more ambient and environmental sound while you're out exploring, and leave the music to key areas like towns or outposts, or story sections. For the most part the exploration music in FO3/Skyrim was really bad and if they can't improve it I'd rather not have it at all.

Mark Morgan - "My Chrysalis Highwayman". God drat, that track was good.
I think he also did quite a few tracks for New Vegas, so he might be coming back for Fallout 4. Well, one can hope at least.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm sorry, I've played fallout 1, 2, and 3, and I don't remember FEV/What it is?

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Karmalis posted:

Mark Morgan - "My Chrysalis Highwayman". God drat, that track was good.
I think he also did quite a few tracks for New Vegas, so he might be coming back for Fallout 4. Well, one can hope at least.

The Mark Morgan stuff in New Vegas was all from the Fallout 1 and 2 soundtracks and one of my favourite things about that game. Rolling into Nipton for the first time and hearing "City of the Dead" still sticks out really clearly in my mind.

It would be great to have him back with new material for Fallout 4 but if not someone will mod those old soundtracks in again within a week to replace whatever Inon Zur does and that will be just fine.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Not really on topic, but does Fallout New Vegas get good? I picked it up for cheap because I like Fallout in general and I had heard a lot of people say it was good, better than Fallout 3. So far it's like, really annoying fetch quests and killing geckos and really uninteresting environments. I'm not very far into it, I know, but it really hasn't grabbed me at all. Unlike fallout 3, there aren't good radio stations either.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Snak posted:

I'm sorry, I've played fallout 1, 2, and 3, and I don't remember FEV/What it is?

FEV, or the Forced Evolutionary Virus, was a bioweapon developed in the last days of the resource wars. It was a bespoke disease designed by West Tek, which would prompt rapid and generally beneficial mutation. It's what turns humans into Super Mutants. But since it's fairly precisely designed, humans who don't fit a pre-war (Prime Normal) genetic template tend to wind up mutated in sub-optimal ways. Which is why The Master was so interested in Vault Dwellers. They'd become proper mutants. Much of this research occurred in what is now known as the Glow. It was a supersoldier thingy.

When Avellone wrote the Fallout Bible he attributed a lot of what had been left up to radiation (giant ants, ghouls, etc) to ambient FEV.

Republican Vampire fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jun 5, 2015

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Snak posted:

I'm not sure if you're serious, but FEV is the Forced Evolution Virus. The stuff the Master's super mutants were dipping people in, in Fallout 1, the stuff that the Enclave tested on Vault 13 residents to create their own super toxin to kill anything exposed to FEV in Fallout 2, and the stuff used to make the super mutants from Vault 87 in Fallout 3 and what the Enclave were going to use the water purifier to infect every one with in the Capital Wasteland.

It's kinda a big deal in the Fallout series.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

ZombyDog posted:

I'm not sure if you're serious, but FEV is the Forced Evolution Virus. The stuff the Master's super mutants were dipping people in, in Fallout 1, the stuff that the Enclave tested on Vault 13 residents to create their own super toxin to kill anything exposed to FEV in Fallout 2, and the stuff used to make the super mutants from Vault 87 in Fallout 3.

It's kinda a big deal in the Fallout series.

yeah I just didn't remember what it was called. I never beat fallout 2, so if it was explained a lot in that one, that's where I missed it. I got all the endings to fallout 1 and remember that there was a process for making supermutants, I just didn't remember that it was called FEV.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Snak posted:

yeah I just didn't remember what it was called. I never beat fallout 2, so if it was explained a lot in that one, that's where I missed it. I got all the endings to fallout 1 and remember that there was a process for making supermutants, I just didn't remember that it was called FEV.

It's all in tapes and computers in Fallout 1, mostly in The Glow.

Also New Vegas gets crazy Fun pretty quickly if you go into it without thinking you're a hero. You're just this guy doing odd jobs as hard as you can and pretty quickly they involve shooting ghoul mormons into space or maybe genocide by accident.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Snak posted:

Not really on topic, but does Fallout New Vegas get good? I picked it up for cheap because I like Fallout in general and I had heard a lot of people say it was good, better than Fallout 3. So far it's like, really annoying fetch quests and killing geckos and really uninteresting environments. I'm not very far into it, I know, but it really hasn't grabbed me at all. Unlike fallout 3, there aren't good radio stations either.

Eh... I thought it was pretty half-baked even if it was better than 3. I can't speak for the DLC because I never got it, but the more interesting parts of the game are in the main story so I'd work on tracking down the guy that shot you. Also if someone wants you to do something too boring you can probably just blow them up and be on your way.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Snak posted:

If you are still in Goodsprings, that's just the tutorial. Keep at it, it gets amazing.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
hmm all the modern fallout games are on sale on steam. Thinking about buying them since I beat them on consoles and never played any of the DLCs.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Snak posted:

The starting area is pretty hit and miss for most. Though if you have some kind of hate for Navada scenery then it might not be for you. Also try out black mountain radio when its available (it doesent broadcast everywhere in new vegas) and Radio New Vegas is the guy that talks about quests you've done.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lord Chumley posted:

If you are still in Goodsprings, that's just the tutorial. Keep at it, it gets amazing.

This is probably the issue. I'll probably get to it after I finish my summer class and plow through witcher 3. But if I can't get into it, I'll probably go play fallout 2, since I've never beat it. every time I start it again, the tutorial section is such a turnoff I'm practically burnt out after a few hours. I love fallout 1 so much, but the really boring beginnings of 2 and NV are a real turnoff. I never played any of the DLCs for 3...

Oh that reminds me another thing that messed up NV for me. I got GOTY edition, which meant I got all the DLCs, which was good, except it also meant I got all the "pack" DLCs and I started with like, infinite items. I think I ended up just stuffing my entire inventory in a container somewhere so that scavenging could have a point.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Snak posted:

This is probably the issue. I'll probably get to it after I finish my summer class and plow through witcher 3. But if I can't get into it, I'll probably go play fallout 2, since I've never beat it. every time I start it again, the tutorial section is such a turnoff I'm practically burnt out after a few hours. I love fallout 1 so much, but the really boring beginnings of 2 and NV are a real turnoff. I never played any of the DLCs for 3...

Oh that reminds me another thing that messed up NV for me. I got GOTY edition, which meant I got all the DLCs, which was good, except it also meant I got all the "pack" DLCs and I started with like, infinite items. I think I ended up just stuffing my entire inventory in a container somewhere so that scavenging could have a point.

What platform are you playing on? Cuz there are mods that can help with all the preorder poo poo.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Snak posted:

You can skip FO2s Temple of Trials if you have good speech. Just talk to the guy behind you right at the start.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Republican Vampire posted:

What platform are you playing on? Cuz there are mods that can help with all the preorder poo poo.

360. I haven't had a pc that could play pc games in a decade.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Republican Vampire posted:

He can also disable the one mod that adds all that crap. It's essentially all the preorder DLC's given out for free for everyone, but it also had the bad side effect of giving you way too much crap at the beginning.

You essentially get to sort of "theme" your starting character, whether you wanted to play as a tribal, a trader a cowboy or other.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

hmm all the modern fallout games are on sale on steam. Thinking about buying them since I beat them on consoles and never played any of the DLCs.

The New Vegas DLC's are all pretty fun and get you some good weapons/gear.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Lord Chumley posted:

Yeah I had the same sort of apprehension when I started a New Vegas game for the first time, especially because your guide (that woman with the cowboy hat) has such horrible voice acting. It gets a lot better.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
The best DLC in Fallout 3 was the VR mission that let you get Power Armour raining at level 3. The whole thing was a Call of Duty mini-game that you could whizz through in about 15 minutes and then get overpowered loot.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

ChogsEnhour posted:

The best DLC in Fallout 3 was the VR mission that let you get Power Armour raining at level 3. The whole thing was a Call of Duty mini-game that you could whizz through in about 15 minutes and then get overpowered loot.

"the best dlc in fallout 3" isn't very a prestigious title. and oh man do I wish that dlc were actually 15 minutes. shooty bits are not fallout 3's strongest point and that dlc was nothing but shooting

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

"the best dlc in fallout 3" isn't very a prestigious title. and oh man do I wish that dlc were actually 15 minutes. shooty bits are not fallout 3's strongest point and that dlc was nothing but shooting

point lookout was pretty decent imo
at least on par with a NV dlc entry

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

MisterBibs posted:

There's some idle chatter with Super Mutants wherein one of them (in an obvious masculine voice) says to another that it remembers having memories of being a mother, or something.

If my memory of the Fallout Bible is accurate, a lot of folks called Avellone out for that, under the pretense that it's goddamned Fallout (wherein the bulk of the stories have radiation making poo poo Big And Angry because that's what Radiation does), not FEVout.

They're dumb, the whole point of FEV was a sci-fi invention so they could still have crazy mutated things even though by the 90s everyone knew that radiation wouldn't really do that - in Fallout 1 it's mentioned several times that all the mutated animals come from the north, where the FEV is. Funnily enough Avellone was apparently convinced by the "fallout not FEVout" people in the end, the monsters in Lonesome Road are humans that were mutated by radioactive waste into scaly mole men.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I love when Bethesda releases new games because every thread is full of thousands of people who have no idea what gamebryo is. It's chemtrail levels of retarded, it's great.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

It would be nice if we didn't have loading screens everywhere for once.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Fallout 2 was great

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Zzulu posted:

Fallout 2 was great

And at the time of release, NMA was up in arms about it betraying the spirit of the first game. Moaning about video games, moaning about video games never changes.

And yes, it's a truly great game, especially with the restoration pack- I'm just finishing up a playthrough now. Is there anything like the restoration pack for 1? Even just stuff like having npc's not block doorways would be great.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

DesperateDan posted:

And at the time of release, NMA was up in arms about it betraying the spirit of the first game. Moaning about video games, moaning about video games never changes.

Tbf, FO2 did overdo it with the wacky references and diluted much of the original's atmosphere. I still prefer 2 at the end of the day, but 1 is a more even experience.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Tbf, FO2 did overdo it with the wacky references and diluted much of the original's atmosphere. I still prefer 2 at the end of the day, but 1 is a more even experience.

Also it was pretty buggy at release and patching didn't fully address it. I had a bug where the car disappeared and when it suddenly showed up again everything I'd put in it was gone. :(

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Snak posted:

This is probably the issue. I'll probably get to it after I finish my summer class and plow through witcher 3.
New Vegas has 3 problems: Goodsprings being bland, the initial protagonist's motivation being not as strong as in Fallout 3 (some random dude you know nothing about almost killing you and you should care for some reason vs. your father disappearing taking secrets apparently important for the world with him) and free exploration being bottlenecked at first by the Deathclaw valley.

However when you level up a bit and get tougher it gets really amazing with all the different ways to finnish every quest, far fetching consequences of your actions and deep world building where you find custom made content expanding your understanding of the game world at every step and in every house or cave when you care to look for it. FO3 is a skeleton of a game in comparison.

Also the DLCs are as long if not longer than the main game and are closer to old-school expansions.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sylink posted:

It would be nice if we didn't have loading screens everywhere for once.

You mean you didn't enjoy loading into freeside, then loading into the other half of freeside, then into New Vegas, then into New Vegas again, then into a casino which reset all your hotkeys?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Really it's Skyrim that has me optimistic for this rather than Fallout 3: Skyrim has more towns with more reason to visit them/things that only happen around there, distinct geographical regions, and more nuance in the plot (mostly aside from the main quest). It's been a long, long time since I've played Fallout 3, but like others have said I recall it feeling sparse and bland. I'd like to think that was a product of Bethesda having to bring the Fallout "world" into their 3d action fps style of games and that this time around the game will be more in line with their Elder Scrolls series in terms of density.

Also, the new securitron looks way better, and I'm betting when more screen shots and videos of the game come out our opinion of the visuals will go up, not down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CherryCat
Feb 21, 2011

That's a strawberry.

College Slice
I've already decided that the firs thing I do will be look for the Cheers bar, it's Boston, it has to be there.

• Locked thread