Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
moon http://www.bbc.com/news/business-32394170

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NakedWithCandy
Sep 22, 2014

EL BROMANCE posted:

it's frustrating that there's opportunity for a bunch of libertarian fuckwits, who are close to putting their money where their mouths are and ultimately providing the world with a ton of laughs, but someone is standing in their way. let them settle and broadcast the whole thing online so we can watch it all unfold in horror.

We are in the Wink Off bros era of the rich. Trust fund kiddies who have never worked, never ran a company, never done anything, but have money and power because of daddy.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
bitcoins are so loving stupid

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Crazy Achmed posted:

Are they seriously expecting Serbia/Croatia to say "sure, you can have some of our sovereign territory, it's not like we fought bitter and brutal wars in the recent past that established these borders, just go ahead and take it off us"?

that conflict was mostly "don't let them have that" rather than "we must have that", I think, so it could be ok

also, pick muslimness carefully

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

NakedWithCandy posted:

We are in the Wink Off bros era of the rich. Trust fund kiddies who have never worked, never ran a company, never done anything, but have money and power because of daddy.

:ssh: we've always been in the era of kiddies who have money and power because of daddy :ssh: have been ever since the first kings started shutting out kids

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

CampingCarl posted:

an guy from Virginia so he can make his daughter a real princess.

ingenious and moral. fuckyougotminia pissing off serbs, neither.

anyone with half a brain would change their last name to penn, claim the delaware wedge, join the union, and live off the kickbacks to your two new senators.

hellocruelworld
Feb 28, 2003

Dude, I See God!

fermun posted:

they built a camp on the Serbian side which supports 100 people, they have set up water tanks and generators, latrines, they have high speed internet service, they have dug food cellar-like storage by digging big holes and putting plastic barrels with lids in there, and built pontoon boats so that they can build a bridge to the territory they claim in about an hour and so send people over weekly to protest where they are again kicked out and have to go back across the bridge to the camp.

How has Serbia not kicked them out yet?

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

the isle of manchild

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Heresiarch posted:

americans in general are probably more upset at camera drones than murder drones

a murder drone murdering someone else is a statistic; a camera drone filming me is an outrage

i am enough of an ape to feel this way, not enough of an ape to be chill with feeling this way

on liberland: the area in question is disputed territory (between Serbia and Croatia) and so both nations seem to have adopted a "hassle the crazies out via police" rather than sending in troops of either nation and pissing the other nation off

AlbieQuirky fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jun 5, 2015

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

JFairfax posted:

[i]Would you allow people to sell themselves into slavery?.

what does this even mean

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Tayter Swift posted:

what does this even mean

a libertarian thing is that people should have the right to voluntarily sell themselves into slavery or indentured servitude. of course with their legal heroin laws too, a lot of people would become addicted to heroin, sell themselves into slavery, and be a heroin-addicted prostitute with no legal recourse for the rest of their lives.

libertarians say you fully own your own body, so if you own your own body, you should be able to sell ownership to someone else, then all the labor you do belongs to them instead.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I mean, there are dumber things you could do while drunk/high than sell yourself into slavery for more drugs

you could sell yourself into slavery and then kill your new master

actually that is probably not very dumb in libertopia, you have an indisputed claim on a certain amount of their drugs but could probably weasel your way out of any actual responsibility for their murder

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

rjmccall posted:

I mean, there are dumber things you could do while drunk/high than sell yourself into slavery for more drugs

actually that is probably not very dumb in libertopia, you have an indisputed claim on a certain amount of their drugs but could probably weasel your way out of any actual responsibility for their murder

I look forward to the first case where a slave kills their master to get out of servitude, and the master’s debtor not only demands the slave as part of the estate, but says he can get more out of the slave’s organs than the slave’s actual work.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

rjmccall posted:

But if you murder your master you have to face harsh penalties, like being exiled from libertarian paradise.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Exinos posted:

But if you murder your master you have to face harsh penalties, like being exiled from libertarian paradise.

only if someone is willing to step up and pay to have you expelled for the common good

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ursine Asylum posted:

..but says he can get more out of the slave’s organs than the slave’s actual work.

brings a new, terrifying and frankly more literal definition of 'liquifying assets'.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

quote:

PSA: The new Bitlicense regulations would cover localbitcoins transactions. Any person who is buying or selling bitcoins through localbitcoins can now be charged with criminal activity if they did not register with the NYDFS and pay their GoonSquad Mafia Fee. (theblogchain.com)

submitted 6 hours ago by Cryptolution

Hear that boys? Better be doing your jobs

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

fermun posted:

all the labor you do belongs to them instead.
we already have this part tho

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

fermun posted:

libertarians say you fully own your own body, so if you own your own body, you should be able to sell ownership to someone else, then all the labor you do belongs to them instead.

Exinos posted:

actually if you are a slave who kills your master it's a suicide

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008
uh oh, another bitcoin business in trouble

(this is the one with Larry Summers and Dee Hock on their "advisory board")

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Alan Smithee posted:

Any person who is buying or selling bitcoins through localbitcoins can now be charged with criminal activity if they did not register with the NYDFS and pay their GoonSquad Mafia Fee.
wtf ccp are gonna be pissed if goonwaffe are openly dealing in rmt now

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Herman Merman posted:

uh oh, another bitcoin business in trouble

(this is the one with Larry Summers and Dee Hock on their "advisory board")

quote:

On March 13, Casares announced the launch of Xapo, with $20 million in venture capital from Benchmark, Ribbit Capital and Fortress Investment Group. He also told The New York Times that Xapo’s team included three people who, at the time, were still full-time Lemon/LifeLock employees.

Lemon immediately began investigating, which included interviewing employees (excluding Casares, who refused) and forensically imaging all Lemon computers and servers (including those in Argentina). It claims to have found a treasure trove of evidence that Casares and his co-defendants had kept developing Lemon’s bitcoin technology “in secret” long after the board had ordered it to stop—in the Lemon offices, on Lemon computers, “during Lemon-paid business hours.” In fact, a Xapo-branded and logo’d app quietly launched in the Google Play store just six weeks after Lemon’s acquisition by LifeLock, and more than a month before Xapo’s formal launch announcement.
hahaha he's hosed

poik007
Aug 16, 2006
Thinks Mother 3 is the best game ever
"bitcoin businesses" is another way to say "scams all the way down"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

anthonypants posted:

quote:

lemon parties
hahaha he's hosed

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Alan Smithee posted:

:getin:

ElectricMucus
Feb 9, 2013

anthonypants posted:

hahaha he's hosed

How common is it to have a job where nobody notices a whole team of people doing something entirely different than they are supposed to long enough to make a startup out of it?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ElectricMucus posted:

How common is it to have a job where nobody notices a whole team of people doing something entirely different than they are supposed to long enough to make a startup out of it?

Well it was Lifelock.

poik007
Aug 16, 2006
Thinks Mother 3 is the best game ever

ElectricMucus posted:

please, they just didnt want to play politics

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

what were they doing exactly? Javascript butts?

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Alan Smithee posted:

if only this was the case but this is another instance of bitcoiners not being able to read or think because the bitlicense specifically excludes requiring a license for individuals making personal exchanges on their own behalf.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

anthonypants posted:

actually if you are a slave who kills your master it's a suicide

if libertarians were logically consistent this would be the case. and it would be awesome.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ElectricMucus posted:

In bitcoinland or real life?

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
when lifelock hands you lemon's,

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

There's an interesting benchmark in this ars technica review of the new Macbook Pro:
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/06/new-model-two-year-old-processor-the-2015-15-inch-retina-macbook-pro-reviewed/2/

Look at the graphic card benchmark. First image of the third set.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

ElectricMucus posted:

if the response to the lawsuit does not include at least a reference to, if not the full text of, the farmer and the viper from aesop's fables, i will be sorely disappointed.

seriously, how does anyone let someone who considers it a badge of honor to be called a serial entrepreneur work for months with what appears to be no oversight?

FAUXTON posted:

Well it was Lifelock.
oh. right. well that answers that then.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Dr. Honked posted:

when lifelock hands you lemon's,

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Munin posted:

There's an interesting benchmark in this ars technica review of the new Macbook Pro:
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/06/new-model-two-year-old-processor-the-2015-15-inch-retina-macbook-pro-reviewed/2/

Look at the graphic card benchmark. First image of the third set.
wow, bitcoin mining performs better on amd hardware than nvidia or intel. thanks arse technical

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Pro click, entire article is pure distilled buttcoin.txt

quote:

On the bar in front of the till sits a tablet computer for customers wishing to settle their tab with their digital wallet.
"Not many people really understand it I think," said landlord Robert McAleer, who admitted that not many Bitcoin payments had been made since a digital currency conference, held on the island last October, attracted Bitcoin enthusiasts in their droves.

quote:

Although the exchange has always operated that way, Mr Woolnough is candid about the baggage of legislation, and it certainly slows things down - it took three days for me to open an official account and even then I remained unable to use my cards to buy any currency.
"I don't think anyone wants to be regulated," he admitted.
"With regulation comes cost and there's a burden that comes with it.

quote:

Island entrepreneur Adrian Forbes believes one solution may lie in making Bitcoin a lot less ephemeral.
His new start-up TGBex is selling physical coins (his lawyer is very keen to call them tokens, he insists, as they are not legal tender). Each coin comes with a QR code so that the owner can transfer the value into their digital wallet.
"Bitcoin for technophobes is what I like to call it," he said.
"I have three young kids and I wanted to buy them a bitcoin each - but [some of] the exchanges have failed or been hacked... for me I think offline storage is the safest at the the moment."

quote:

(his lawyer is very keen to call them tokens, he insists, as they are not legal tender)
lmao

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
i love darknetmarkets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

• Locked thread