Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Sledgehammer
May 10, 2010

Don`t fall asleep, you gotta write for THUNDERDOME
I'm truly surprised at the lack of love for the Dairanger suits. Easily top 3, IMO. I still don't quite understand Saban's reluctance to feature them stateside in MMPR S2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Your Sledgehammer posted:

I'm truly surprised at the lack of love for the Dairanger suits. Easily top 3, IMO. I still don't quite understand Saban's reluctance to feature them stateside in MMPR S2.

According to Tony Oliver (supervising producer at the time), because Mighty Morphin had LIT UP THE GODDAMN COUNTRY with how popular it was, there was a definite paralyzing fear of changing too much and letting the lightning out of the bottle.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
No

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

why do they have batteries on their chests

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Pyroi posted:

why do they have batteries on their chests

Because toys dammit. Though, they might actually have a story excuse for it, since it didn't apply for the first half a dozen or so episodes.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

They're SUPPPPPAAA CHARGGGGEDDDD now.

Saying everything in Koryu's narrator's voice makes it better.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

jivjov posted:

According to Tony Oliver (supervising producer at the time), because Mighty Morphin had LIT UP THE GODDAMN COUNTRY with how popular it was, there was a definite paralyzing fear of changing too much and letting the lightning out of the bottle.

There was also the fact that much of Dairanger was unusable for Saban, ranging from Human villains having too much screentime in fights, to the fights being too imitative in their violence for American TV

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
"Why didn't they adapt Dairanger?"

*Sees drunken fist fighter in the 90's*

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Too bad, or we could have gotten Rocky training to fight his foe by strapping springs to his chest.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

jivjov posted:

Seriously, I can't envy them having to make that choice. Could you imagine being the guy to suggest that they may want to start using different footage, knowing how likely the whole thing would collapse if you did?

I mean, while the series kept going, to this day the first series is still the most remembered.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

It's not great, but it's not Samurai, which is all I can really ask for.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Raserys posted:

It's not great, but it's not Samurai, which is all I can really ask for.

yeah unlike Samurai, I could easily picture this being something used in Kyoryuger

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

MisterBibs posted:

Seriously, I can't envy them having to make that choice. Could you imagine being the guy to suggest that they may want to start using different footage, knowing how likely the whole thing would collapse if you did?

I mean, while the series kept going, to this day the first series is still the most remembered.

In all honesty, I think they made the best choice. Bring in elements (White Ranger, new Zords, etc) but keep all the set dressing the same. Hell, there was even a huge protracted sequence of all the dino zords turning into the Thunder Zords "Look kids, they still have the same robot buddies, they just look different now!"

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

jivjov posted:

In all honesty, I think they made the best choice. Bring in elements (White Ranger, new Zords, etc) but keep all the set dressing the same. Hell, there was even a huge protracted sequence of all the dino zords turning into the Thunder Zords "Look kids, they still have the same robot buddies, they just look different now!"

which kinda fell apart in season 3 when they destroyed them permanently anyways

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

jivjov posted:

And I will say this: Lord Zedd was a better (or at the very least, much more entertaining) villian than the entire Gorma Tribe combined.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jun 5, 2015

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Larryb posted:

And I will say this: Lord Zedd was a better (or at the very least, much more entertaining)villian than the entire Gorma Tribe combined.

Zedd was amazing for his first few episodes and even after they toned him down he was still really good.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

jivjov posted:

Zedd was amazing for his first few episodes and even after they toned him down he was still really good.

Easily one of the most proactive and fun villains in the entire franchise, Sentai or Power Rangers.

Every plan involved some combination of Time Travel, Evil Rangers, and Divide and Conquer, and that's before the MOTW got involved at all.

I wish we had more Big Bads like Zedd to be honest, villains who come up with such convoluted schemes to defeat the heroes that they *FORGET ABOUT THE MONSTER* until half way into the episode.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Burkion posted:

Easily one of the most proactive and fun villains in the entire franchise, Sentai or Power Rangers.

Every plan involved some combination of Time Travel, Evil Rangers, and Divide and Conquer, and that's before the MOTW got involved at all.

I wish we had more Big Bads like Zedd to be honest, villains who come up with such convoluted schemes to defeat the heroes that they *FORGET ABOUT THE MONSTER* until half way into the episode.

:effort:

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

I re watched mystic force and it wasn't all that bad. Theme song is still bad though.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Comic-Con report:

Camille Hyde is insanely gorgeous. Yoshi Sudaro's fanboyism is adorable.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I'm gonna buy legacy thunder megazord and my gf is gonna have to like it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

RBX posted:

I'm gonna buy legacy thunder megazord and my gf is gonna have to like it.

Was that announced?!

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

jivjov posted:

Was that announced?!

Bow down

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

SKY COQ posted:

Bow down

:eyepop::shepspends::worship:

Jesus that is majestic as all hell. I had a thrift store purchased collection of bits and bobs of the old Thunder Megazord when I was a kid and this looks MILESTONE better.

So...Legacy Tor, when?

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
We have a headless Thunderzord, so we are pretty excited to get the legacy version. Also a few friends that were at Comic Con bought us some of the comics.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Also, new trailers for Dino Charge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jX5NLcSbJJU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APn66bj82vc

I'm gonna take a wild guess that the latter is mostly sentai footage that may or may not be used, similar to previous trailers. So whilst they may be bringing Zeltrax back, they also might not and he's just there to look cool.

Otherwise, they're really getting into their groove with this series. Can't wait.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
That's a lot of original footage, impressed they're still doing that.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Tae posted:

That's a lot of original footage, impressed they're still doing that.

My personal theory is that Saban, Bandai, etc have kinda come to accept that they're gonna have to do the 'one show, two season split' thing, and have started to adjust accordingly. So aside of having more time just to get things put together, they can probably also focus more budget into a single show across 2-3 years than they would have putting out roughly one show a year to match the sentai's pace.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
We're getting an official Dairanger subbed release from Shout Factory! Hopefully we just get annual Sentai releases forever. I will buy every single one.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
I'm excited to get Dairanger and will absolutely buy it, but I'm kinda scratching my head has to why they chose that season. Are we just going in order? People aren't going to have as much nostalgia for it, as they did for Zyuranger/Mighty Morphin. The only connection non-Sentai watching fans will have is to Kiba Ranger/White Tiger Ranger. I think they should have done Gokaiger or GingaMan OhRanger or TimeRanger or Abaranger.

...Unless we're just going in order, in which case I will just wait and give them my money accordingly.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Well, remember that Dairanger and Kakuranger were kitbashed into Mighty Morphin Seasons 2 and 3...so there's gonna be some nostalgia for the monsters and Zords too. I wouldn't be surprised if they promote it that way too...show a clip of the MMPR Rangers calling for the Thunder Zords and do a transition over to the Dairangers doing the same, or something.

Possibly even tie in the "New Powers" thing from Super Megaforce.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

jivjov posted:

Well, remember that Dairanger and Kakuranger were kitbashed into Mighty Morphin Seasons 2 and 3...so there's gonna be some nostalgia for the monsters and Zords too. I wouldn't be surprised if they promote it that way too...show a clip of the MMPR Rangers calling for the Thunder Zords and do a transition over to the Dairangers doing the same, or something.

Possibly even tie in the "New Powers" thing from Super Megaforce.

That's true. I really enjoyed the Zyuranger translation, so I am down with this project. Hope it is successful enough for them to continue.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

It probably is just a matter of going through them in order, but they would be missing an opportunity if they didn't play it up as the 'lost' season or some such. Costumes that, barring SMF, no-one has ever seen before, and with a plot that you really cannot extrapolate out of what Power Rangers ultimately did with the footage. Perfect to play up as some exotic treasure to PR fans.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
All I can think of when you say that is the "Lost Episodes" from Dragon Ball GT.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

jivjov posted:

All I can think of when you say that is the "Lost Episodes" from Dragon Ball GT.

I was thinking more the 'Lost Levels' that were Super Mario Bros 2 in Japan, for that same kind of 'this is what you guys missed out on' idea.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Astro Nut posted:

I was thinking more the 'Lost Levels' that were Super Mario Bros 2 in Japan, for that same kind of 'this is what you guys missed out on' idea.

Ahh, much better and less cringe inducing :)

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwn15iiWyjI

The comic con panel, Yoshi is the best person ever.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
In case anyone is interested: Tickets to the 2016 Power Morphicon are now on sale.

https://register.growtix.com/e/power_morphicon_2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Does it sell out? I just spent all my monies on Comikaze Expo and Amazon's board games sale.