Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Freakazoid_ posted:

Fallout 3 had a problem with sniping where after a medium distance bullets plain missed no matter how high your skill was.

Fallout NV did not have this problem and I enjoyed headshotting most of the deathclaws from atop the gravel feeder in the limestone quarry.

Fallout 4 better let me loving snipe properly.
That's the hardest thing about going back to playing FO3 on the PS3 is the fact that trying to aim feels so much worse than New Vegas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Wild Wastelands makes Indiana Jones' skeleton and hat appear inside a fridge outside Goodsprings, and Johnny Five Aces is on the edge of a cliff with four balls, a cigarette, and five ace cards. He's also just outside Goodsprings, and is guarded by landmines. Got my first broken leg from that.

FO3 is the more "fun" game. So much wacky poo poo, I really only play it for the oddly placed gnomes, and Gary. New Vegas is the meat and potatoes. A wasteland never seemed so alive.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

achillesforever6 posted:

That's the hardest thing about going back to playing FO3 on the PS3 is the fact that trying to aim feels so much worse than New Vegas.

Fallout 3/NV made shooting a gun fell like one of those "shoot 3 birds to win an iPod" browser game you see in sidebar ads. It would be nice if they could make it feel more like Stalker when it comes to gunplay in big open spaces.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah, I find one reason I don't want to go back to Fallout 3 anymore (and I played it a lot) is I just don't like anyone there--it's got some interesting terrain and DC can be kind of maze like and stumbling into a super mutant or slaver stronghold by accident was thrilling and Liberty Prime was a great set piece, but the people don't stick in my mind and I don't want to visit them again.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
Characters like Joshua Graham, Mr House, Caesar, any of the Dead Money cast, are more interesting on their own than all the characters of Fallout 3 combined.

At least you could kill Three dog, that was good.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

achillesforever6 posted:

Yeah, the gun action was so much better in NV it's not even funny. They copied pretty much all the good FO3 mods.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Blistex posted:

Fallout 3/NV made shooting a gun fell like one of those "shoot 3 birds to win an iPod" browser game you see in sidebar ads. It would be nice if they could make it feel more like Stalker when it comes to gunplay in big open spaces.

I would definitely like (or at least feel like I would) Fallout to have "gunplay" that feels more punchy and visceral, like Far Cry 3/4 or STALKER or Metro 2033. The thing is, I also feel that the character's stats should continue to influence things like accuracy, weapon sway, and even damage, because these mechanics are important to the RPG aspects of the game. In other words, if you're playing a frail egghead with a low weapon skill (and you're not willing to invest points into combative skills), the player shouldn't be able to use his/her own skills to completely circumvent the lack of skill points. There are a fair number of Fallout 3/NV mods that make the shooting a lot more like STALKER--guns kill in a few hits, accuracy is separated from weapon skill, guns have significant range boosts, etc.--and they trivialize a lot of the character building/growth process and the game economy. There's no real point in investing into Guns/Energy Weapons/Explosives if you're basically as dangerous at Level 1 with 20 points in a skill as you are at Level 30 with 100 points in that same skill; if even cheap weapons are deadly, there's no real point in searching for higher-tier weapons or buying them; if enemies die in fewer hits, then your ammo pool lasts a lot longer and any sort of item scarcity vanishes.

The problem for me is then: How can you maintain the RPG mechanics of the game while making guns feel more tangible and satisfying to use? It's definitely a difficult thing to achieve, but I would still love it if somebody figured it out.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Leinadi posted:

At least you could kill Three dog, that was good.

I hope Three Dog is in Fallout 4 so I can kill him again.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Groovelord Neato posted:

Still kinda perturbed that no turbonerds remade 1 and 2 with GECK.

Nerds are still modding FO1 & 2

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

O_O

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Something Else posted:

Bongo bongo bongo I don't wanna leave the congo oh no no no no nooooo

They got things like the atom BOMB, so I think I'll stay where I AM... civilization! We'll stay right heeeeeere!

~

Pretty flowers need the sun, this applies to everyone... when life's worth living... nature's giving.. happiness to everyone.. ~ let's go sunning!

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

i'm not going to disagree in terms of level design-- vault 34 was the pits and vault 22 had a really bad layout

I've put almost 3000 hours into New Vegas and I still can't wrap my head around the layout of Vault 22 or the city in Dead Money. Oh, the DC Metro in FO3 was always confusing and disorienting.

Actually I can't think of a game I've played that has a map that handles multistory areas well at all.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Keith Atherton posted:

Actually I can't think of a game I've played that has a map that handles multistory areas well at all.

Every game is better at it than daggerfall

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The problem for me is then: How can you maintain the RPG mechanics of the game while making guns feel more tangible and satisfying to use? It's definitely a difficult thing to achieve, but I would still love it if somebody figured it out.
I wish every gun in the Fallout games could be as satisfying as the This Machine
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/This_Machine
God shooting that thing is amazing because it sounds and feels like it has weight to it everytime you shoot and reload it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm wondering if putting the game in Beantown will mean we get some hockey references. I'd love to see a bunch of Super Mutants set up shop at TD Garden and arm themselves with sticks and skate blades.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Nothing beats Old World Blues. THE BIG MT! ROBOSCORPIANS! NIGHTSTALKERS! LOBOTIMITES! MUGGY!
The best DLC

Hihohe fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jun 6, 2015

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
My first reaction upon hearing Fallout 4 was announced was "hope that means New Vegas 2 isn't far behind!"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Hihohe posted:

Nothing beats Old World Blues. THE BIG MT! ROBOSCORPIANS! NIGHTSTALKERS! LOBOTIMITES! MUGGY!
The best DLC

[Intelligence]: I HAVE BEEN UPLOADED WITH THE BRAIN OF DOCTOR MOBIUS!

Dr Klein: That is the most insane thing I have ever heard.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

There are soooooo many ways of doing this. You can tie skill to reload/recharge speed, recoil, time spent raising/lowering sights, aim wobble, weapon swap time, movement speed while unaimed/aimed, accuracy/spread, damage rolls, jams, ability to repair, chance to inflict special effects/damage etc. Fallout 3 already did some of those things, but the guns felt crap for a lot of other reasons. There wasn't all that much flinching or feedback when you shot enemies--in fact sometimes they don't seem to react at all. The animations for moving, firing, reloading and holding guns are overall really stiff. The animation just made combat general feel really floaty, like everyone was racing around on roller skates. Enemies don't have brains and just run straight at you 90% of the time instead of hiding and using cover. All of that sort of stuff makes the guns unsatisfying to use. I'm not getting my hopes up for better animation in this game.

I mean, look at this poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvR1u0RnCwE

Buck Turgidson fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jun 6, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I would definitely like (or at least feel like I would) Fallout to have "gunplay" that feels more punchy and visceral, like Far Cry 3/4 or STALKER or Metro 2033. The thing is, I also feel that the character's stats should continue to influence things like accuracy, weapon sway, and even damage, because these mechanics are important to the RPG aspects of the game. In other words, if you're playing a frail egghead with a low weapon skill (and you're not willing to invest points into combative skills), the player shouldn't be able to use his/her own skills to completely circumvent the lack of skill points. There are a fair number of Fallout 3/NV mods that make the shooting a lot more like STALKER--guns kill in a few hits, accuracy is separated from weapon skill, guns have significant range boosts, etc.--and they trivialize a lot of the character building/growth process and the game economy. There's no real point in investing into Guns/Energy Weapons/Explosives if you're basically as dangerous at Level 1 with 20 points in a skill as you are at Level 30 with 100 points in that same skill; if even cheap weapons are deadly, there's no real point in searching for higher-tier weapons or buying them; if enemies die in fewer hits, then your ammo pool lasts a lot longer and any sort of item scarcity vanishes.

I think it would make sense if weapon skill affected how much your weapon sways when aiming. I just find it really weird and jarring when you've actually got the iron sights lined up and the shot actually curves away from where it should go.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
All of this talk about improving the combat in the new Fallouts relies on having a core engine that isn't poo poo held together with spit and baling wire. Metro, Far Cry, STALKER, all of these games were built on engines that could handle the kinesthetics of shooting well. Gamebryo, or the version Bethesda uses, wasn't, and the games have really suffered for it.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Hihohe posted:

The best DLC
And you got the voice actors of Dr. Venture and Captain Qwark hamming it up

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
So, anyone wondering if paid mods are coming with Fallout 4 day one? It was a complete mess with Skyrim due to years of established community efforts but with a new game you get a new community, engine, etc... so it's very likely Bethesda is going to go for that. Question is if they will address that at E3. I am thinking not and they will talk about the whole thing much closer to release but you never know.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

If I'm remembering right the only way to join the Khans in the first game is by beating their sex slaves to death because their boss is bored with them :raise:

Like I said: They've had a couple rear end in a top hat leaders. But the wasteland as a whole is a pretty toxic place full of horrible people. The NCR is habitually way worse, and so is House by the time New Vegas rolls around.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I really wonder what would happen if the NCR or the hardline West Coast Brotherhood landed out east.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

While I am interested after seeing the trailer, I'm going to hold any opinion until we hear more. Granted, I am looking forward to what happens in the game threads here like that guy who had a conniption over his male Courier getting hit on because he took the Confirmed Bachelor perk and was apparently clueless at what it really meant.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

oblomov posted:

So, anyone wondering if paid mods are coming with Fallout 4 day one? It was a complete mess with Skyrim due to years of established community efforts but with a new game you get a new community, engine, etc... so it's very likely Bethesda is going to go for that. Question is if they will address that at E3. I am thinking not and they will talk about the whole thing much closer to release but you never know.

If paid mods are gonna be re-introduced, it's definitely gonna be at launch or close to it, but after that clusterfuck with Skyrim it's hopefully gotten everyone rethinking how to handle it so hopefully they do the smart thing and make the best of the best mods into unofficial-but-developer-supported-DLC or something like that.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

ShadowMar posted:

If paid mods are gonna be re-introduced, it's definitely gonna be at launch or close to it, but after that clusterfuck with Skyrim it's hopefully gotten everyone rethinking how to handle it so hopefully they do the smart thing and make the best of the best mods into unofficial-but-developer-supported-DLC or something like that.

Yeah I hope however it gets implemented (if at all), it's done in a way that doesn't mean I'm expected to pay for every single mod I'd want to use, because then I'm talking about a $60 game and another, like, $120 in mods at $2-3 a piece.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah I hope however it gets implemented (if at all), it's done in a way that doesn't mean I'm expected to pay for every single mod I'd want to use, because then I'm talking about a $60 game and another, like, $120 in mods at $2-3 a piece.

Yeah, it's certainly going to be interesting to see how Bethesda handles this. A more robust system to support modding (Skyrim was certainly better then Fallout or NV already) with perhaps vetted mod programs and maybe mod bundles would be kind of cool. Also an incentive for larger and more comprehensive mods vs quick and dirt cheap mods would be good.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

There's still supposedly some big announcement coming. Multiple journalists have gotten emails telling them about something codenamed Fallout 4.1 that's supposed to be disclosed pretty soon. Some people think it's gonna be more promo material, and some people think it's gonna be a non-numbered game or spinoff, but I really wouldn't be surprised if it were a Zenimax owned-and-operated platform for DLC and mods. Probably with payment options.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Republican Vampire posted:

There's still supposedly some big announcement coming. Multiple journalists have gotten emails telling them about something codenamed Fallout 4.1 that's supposed to be disclosed pretty soon. Some people think it's gonna be more promo material, and some people think it's gonna be a non-numbered game or spinoff, but I really wouldn't be surprised if it were a Zenimax owned-and-operated platform for DLC and mods. Probably with payment options.

That would be the dumbest thing in video game history

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
I think Bethesda got the hint that paid mods is a loving stupid idea. Modders do deserve reward for their hard work but their approach was insane.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Rinkles posted:

That would be the dumbest thing in video game history

It would eclipse the last stab at paid mods in the process, admittedly, but I have faith in the creativity of video game publishers when it comes to doing the absolute worst thing possible.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

I'm sure some sort of paid mod system will come around but there's no way it will resemble what went up. Modding also has some ways to go before it's ready for that kind of system.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Hihohe posted:

The best DLC

The greatest thing about OWB is some of the responses you can pick for the Courier to say
"It looks like two giant Fuckbots tag teamed this place."

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

khy posted:

Does New Vegas ever have anything on par with the Dunwich Building in FO3? God that was good.

A building with spooky ambient noises? Yeah FNV has tons. FNV also has places with atmosphere and story like Vault 11, something FO3 writers couldn't ever think up.

Remember, Fallout 4 isn't made by the company who fully fleshed out eight companions with quests and backstories, it's made by the company that thought "A vault of clones named Gary" was the pinnacle of zaniness XD

Die Laughing posted:

FO3 is the more "fun" game. So much wacky poo poo,

I agree. Sometimes I mix up my Invader Zim DVD's and accidentally pop in FO3. It's the same kind of dull boring humor I can't really tell the difference between them.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

It's hard because the last game of this type to have static weapon damage and varying accuracy was Morrowind and people vehemently hated that combat. Even though it was RPG-like as hell, literally internal d100's rolling for every action, people hated it because it didn't have that punch that 100% hit chance does. A game like Oblivion can have scaling weapon damage with player skill and get away with 100% hit chance easily, you can attribute the lower damage to having tiny baby biceps (low weapon skill). Fallout3/New Vegas can't use that excuse because a gun does the same thing no matter who uses it. One mod for NV flattened all gun damage but made the scope sway wildly with lower skill. I thought that was maybe a bit too much, but for the game to slide back a few notches from weird FPS to good RPG something like that seems necessary.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

My first reaction upon hearing Fallout 4 was announced was "hope that means New Vegas 2 isn't far behind!"

Wasn't there some bad blood between Obsidian and Bethesda in regard to payment following the release of New Vegas? Unless I'm completely wrong (and I hope I am) I can't imagine Obsidian signing up for that again.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I really wonder what would happen if the NCR or the hardline West Coast Brotherhood landed out east.

nothing. As soon as they got within a thousand miles of the east coast they'd transform into light hearted, wacky, poorly written white knight versions of what they were

Sankis fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jun 6, 2015

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Sankis posted:

Wasn't there some bad blood between Obsidian and Bethesda in regard to payment following the release of New Vegas? Unless I'm completely wrong (and I hope I am) I can't imagine Obsidian signing up for that again.

Naw. In fact, Obsidian has apparently been in talks with them since and from all accounts the layoffs (which were the real bitter pill, rather than the lost bonus) had more to do with Microsoft cancelling a launch title for the bone.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Sankis posted:

There was some controversy because Obsidian would get a bonus if they got an 85 on metacritic or something but they only got an 84, mostly because of buggy launches from a some-what rushed release date formed by, you guessed it, Bethesda.

I might also be remembering it wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

cargohills posted:

unpopular opinion: New Vegas was pretty lovely

• Locked thread