Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
I haven't done Point Lookout or Broken Steel yet, but good heavens are the FO3 DLC's short. Finished Operation Anchorage in an afternoon, The Pitt didn't take much longer, and Mothership Zeta looks like I'll be able to finish it tonight. I sure hope these weren't too pricey at release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

drkeiscool posted:

I haven't done Point Lookout or Broken Steel yet, but good heavens are the FO3 DLC's short. Finished Operation Anchorage in an afternoon, The Pitt didn't take much longer, and Mothership Zeta looks like I'll be able to finish it tonight. I sure hope these weren't too pricey at release.

They each cost $10 at launch, same as the New Vegas ones.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Sankis posted:

Wasn't there some bad blood between Obsidian and Bethesda in regard to payment following the release of New Vegas? Unless I'm completely wrong (and I hope I am) I can't imagine Obsidian signing up for that again.

i remember reading something saying that obsidian and bethesda parted on good terms. i honestly wouldn't be too shocked if a spin off game gets announced a year after fo4 is released.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales

Republican Vampire posted:

Like I said: They've had a couple rear end in a top hat leaders. But the wasteland as a whole is a pretty toxic place full of horrible people. The NCR is habitually way worse, and so is House by the time New Vegas rolls around.

not really, though

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

ShadowMar posted:

They each cost $10 at launch, same as the New Vegas ones.

That's hilarious

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

drkeiscool posted:

You've definitely saved the best for last. Broken Steel adds some pretty cool quests and locations (at the expense of a couple of total rear end in a top hat enemies) even if it's new quests are kind of short, and Point Lookout was amazing and easily my favourite thing about FO3. The enemies are kind of bullet sponges but the setting is perfect and much less linear and rushed than Anchorage/Pitt/Zeta.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

drkeiscool posted:

Point Lookout is the only FO3 DLC that's really worth it, frankly. Broken Steel has a great set piece though.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Shooting Blanks posted:

Point Lookout is the only FO3 DLC that's really worth it, frankly. Broken Steel has a great set piece though.

Broken Steel finally lets you show the BoS the error of their Capital Wasteland ways.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

mackintosh posted:

Broken Steel finally lets you show the BoS the error of their Capital Wasteland ways.

Isn't the water still irradiated in Broken Steel? That was probably the first thing I checked.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Fallout without gamebryo wouldn't be Fallout. I'll hate and love the game in equal measure.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

sout posted:

Isn't the water still irradiated in Broken Steel? That was probably the first thing I checked.

Yeah. The sweep it under the rug as it just being less irradiated than before. Also the Mirelurks around the water purifier have less health because they thrived in irradiated water.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Roobanguy posted:

i remember reading something saying that obsidian and bethesda parted on good terms. i honestly wouldn't be too shocked if a spin off game gets announced a year after fo4 is released.

Well that makes me happier. Now I just hope it's something Bethesda and Obsidian would do again!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Mikojan posted:

Fallout without gamebryo an isometric view wouldn't be Fallout. I'll hate and love the game in equal measure.

You know it :colbert:

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Sheen Sheen posted:

In conclusion, Fallout is an American as gently caress game in every respect (EDIT: much more so than just the opening music :rolleyes: ), and I can't say that I care about what happened in other parts of the world in this series, and I think it's silly for other people to care that much. If you want a Canadian/Chinese/Japanese/British/Arabic/Uzbekistani Fallout game that focuses on cultural themes for those countries, make one yourself, or convince someone from those countries to make them.

The Russian Fallout game is better than Fallout :v:

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Das Butterbrot posted:

The Russian Fallout game is better than Fallout :v:

Only because they have real experience to base it on.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Fallout took most of its inspiration from Mad Max, which is australian. So Fallout is actually Australian as gently caress :smug:

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
Funny they haven't made a post apocalyptic setting as grim as the British film 'Threads' yet.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
I've always found the thing about FO3 vs. NV to be interesting. I honestly found them to be pretty much the same level of quality and fun (though I have sunk far more hours into New Vegas because of all the endings). But virtually everyone else I know has strong feelings towards one or the other.

I feel like I'm some kind of weirdo for enjoying both games. :shrug:

sout
Apr 24, 2014

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

I've always found the thing about FO3 vs. NV to be interesting. I honestly found them to be pretty much the same level of quality and fun (though I have sunk far more hours into New Vegas because of all the endings). But virtually everyone else I know has strong feelings towards one or the other.

Yeah, imo they're such similar games it seems crazy to me that you could love one and hate the other. I mean, yes, New Vegas does some things better and I prefer it, 3 does some neat things too, but in terms of gameplay they're virtually identical.

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.

Zzulu posted:

Fallout took most of its inspiration from Mad Max, which is australian. So Fallout is actually Australian as gently caress :smug:

Actually a mix of A Boy and His Dog and Mad Max, so both American and Australian as gently caress.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

greatBigJerk posted:

Actually a mix of A Boy and His Dog and Mad Max, so both American and Australian as gently caress.

I Have No AP And I Must Shoot Groins

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
I always felt 3 had better atmosphere and NV had better gameplay. But atmosphere doesn't make up for a lack of polished or additional mechanics.

Also NV's overworld is kind of desolate. Not in an end-of-the-world nuclear wasteland way, but in a "wow there's a whole lot of nothing here" way compared to 3. And also the random events in 3 made the wasteland feel a bit more alive. Granted 3 copied and pasted a lot of things.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
So I just finished Mothership Zeta, and while running through many identical corridors shooting the same aliens over and over was really boring, getting to shoot a disintegrator ray gun in a space suit was fun. The exploding mothership and deathray stuff was also awesome. I sincerely hope Bethesda (or Obsidian, if they get another crack at it) adapt Van Buren's main plot, because the ending of MZ felt like a tech demo for that.

But actually space-walking was so boring. Push some panels on a flat plain. They didn't even change the gravity! In Space! I feel it also suffers a bit from what Operation Anchorage did in that it really requires a certain character build to take advantage of it (energy weapons, basically).

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

the gameplay is virtually identical so it's pretty easy to enjoy them both on that level. most of the people--myself included--who vastly prefer new vegas do so because it has much better writing and a more interesting story, and was also a lot more consistent with the tone of the classic fallout games. that said, even if i have my misgivings about 3, i really enjoyed it when it came out.

Theta Zero posted:

Also NV's overworld is kind of desolate. Not in an end-of-the-world nuclear wasteland way, but in a "wow there's a whole lot of nothing here" way compared to 3. And also the random events in 3 made the wasteland feel a bit more alive. Granted 3 copied and pasted a lot of things.

i kinda feel the opposite because of the copy and pasting. new vegas had a smaller world with maybe comparatively less things in it, but i feel like all the things it did have were way more substantial and unique than the countless subway tunnels and empty houses of fallout 3.

Cardboard Box fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Jun 6, 2015

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Wolfsheim posted:

If I'm remembering right the only way to join the Khans in the first game is by beating their sex slaves to death because their boss is bored with them :raise:

i cans ee this is a very morally grey and nuanced faction

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
I don't particularly like the shooty-gameplay in either title but for me the devil is in the details as well. Tons of weapons in NV, iron-sights, weapon modding, crafting, hardcore mode and much less level-scaling (there is some minor stuff but very little) does wonders. And while most people tend to separate story/writing from the gameplay, they are pretty intertwined in how you can interact with the gameworld and its factions. That's gameplay to me.

In Fallout 3, I feel like I'm running around in a game-world shooting things which populate it. In New Vegas, it feels like I am actually interacting with the game-world and changing (while also shooting things).

Sadly, a lot of the initial changes to SPECIAL and how you level up that were there initially in NV (harder to specialize in many skills and so forth) unfortunately got thrown out the window with the DLC releases.

Also, while NV is more restrictive with where the player goes (which... makes sense, as there isn't as much level-scaling) it's just not linear. No. There is a path you can go which is clearly there if one wants to follow the main quest through, but you don't have to follow that. While I got gloriously murdered (and scared to death) by a Cazadore while going north from Goodsprings (I've gotten through on replays though), I found my way to Novac while not going through the "loop" around Mojave Outpost and Nipton because there is a pass (might be more ways to cross, not sure) through the mountains beyond the Powder ganger prison. This was done by some simple exploring.

F3 felt pretty flat, with a lot of level-scaled content everywhere so you could run off almost anywhere from the start. Personally, I don't think that makes for fun exploration in games but... opinions obviously differ.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Sankis posted:

Wasn't there some bad blood between Obsidian and Bethesda in regard to payment following the release of New Vegas? Unless I'm completely wrong (and I hope I am) I can't imagine Obsidian signing up for that again.

Obsidian is making shovelware tank MMOs to keep the wolf from the door, I think they'd jump at the chance to make a proper RPG.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

maev posted:

Funny they haven't made a post apocalyptic setting as grim as the British film 'Threads' yet.

You could set up a really convincing apocalyptic scenario using Sheffield as a location- the grim harshness of life, raiders, strange tribes, abandoned buildings- the struggles of living in such bleak conditions with nothing but suffering all around. And then a nuclear war happens.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

maev posted:

Speaking of which, I found this depressing British film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdtpvoOXn2o.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Sic Semper Goon posted:

This British film is is blocked in my country, Great Britain, on copyright grounds. Too bad.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Frankston posted:

This British film is is blocked in my country, Great Britain, on copyright grounds. Too bad.

If you lived in America you could access all the world's media :smug:

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Frankston posted:

Well, I guess you have to miss out on watching your animated countrymen slowly dying of radiation sickness.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Mortimer posted:

A building with spooky ambient noises? Yeah FNV has tons. FNV also has places with atmosphere and story like Vault 11, something FO3 writers couldn't ever think up.

Remember, Fallout 4 isn't made by the company who fully fleshed out eight companions with quests and backstories, it's made by the company that thought "A vault of clones named Gary" was the pinnacle of zaniness XD

I agree. Sometimes I mix up my Invader Zim DVD's and accidentally pop in FO3. It's the same kind of dull boring humor I can't really tell the difference between them.

It's hard because the last game of this type to have static weapon damage and varying accuracy was Morrowind and people vehemently hated that combat. Even though it was RPG-like as hell, literally internal d100's rolling for every action, people hated it because it didn't have that punch that 100% hit chance does. A game like Oblivion can have scaling weapon damage with player skill and get away with 100% hit chance easily, you can attribute the lower damage to having tiny baby biceps (low weapon skill). Fallout3/New Vegas can't use that excuse because a gun does the same thing no matter who uses it. One mod for NV flattened all gun damage but made the scope sway wildly with lower skill. I thought that was maybe a bit too much, but for the game to slide back a few notches from weird FPS to good RPG something like that seems necessary.

The goofy stuff is cool and I hope 4 has a lot of it also.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Theta Zero posted:

I always felt 3 had better atmosphere and NV had better gameplay. But atmosphere doesn't make up for a lack of polished or additional mechanics.

FO3 was made by a dev whose bread and butter is first person open world games. That's literally all they've done for like 20 years - they know how to implement a setting even if they're sometimes at a bit of a loss as to what to do with it.

Also I was pretty surprised reading that wiki that said FO3 only had 17 full on sidequests, but thinking about it that seems pretty accurate. It's nice that the minor stuff that doesn't require you to trek across the wasteland isn't popping up all over your screen and journal tho

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

drkeiscool posted:

But actually space-walking was so boring. Push some panels on a flat plain. They didn't even change the gravity! In Space! I feel it also suffers a bit from what Operation Anchorage did in that it really requires a certain character build to take advantage of it (energy weapons, basically).

Yeah, they were fairly cool premises in theory that were kind of lame in practice since they relied on a single (weak) aspect of the gameplay. They should have built them out a bit more or improved on the combat mechanics.

Poolparty
Aug 18, 2013

Frankston posted:

Maybe you can watch superior Uzbek animation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcCKXVkGCGM

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Generic Monk posted:

Yeah, they were fairly cool premises in theory that were kind of lame in practice since they relied on a single (weak) aspect of the gameplay. They should have built them out a bit more or improved on the combat mechanics.

I'll be pretty disappointed if their e3 stage demo doesn't have a section going over the ways they improved the gun combat.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Sharkopath posted:

I'll be pretty disappointed if their e3 stage demo doesn't have a section going over the ways they improved the gun combat.

At the very least, I'd hope they've incorporated the changes New Vegas made.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Sharkopath posted:

"See that mountain? You can snipe an enemy over there."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

ymgve posted:

"See that mountain? You can snipe an enemy over there."

You can snipe them from the other side of the mountains now, if you have a spotter.

• Locked thread