Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Artificer posted:

Are flu shots permanent immunizations to the flu?

Yes.
(You can still get the cold though, unless you join the cool kids and wear a gas-mask 24/7)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

The Lone Badger posted:

Yes.
(You can still get the cold though, unless you join the cool kids and wear a gas-mask 24/7)

Hell yes this is so cool.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

Zoe posted:

Great then my most successful character so far is going to get sick, sounds like. I was assuming they were drinking out of the tank of the toilet, which realistically should be as clean as ordinary tap water.

Rainwater usually is safe, but in the low chance that you get some poisoned water in there it'll gently caress up the entire batch. If you notice yourself feeling weaker after drinking from a container collecting rainwater, either dump it if you don't need it immediately and try again, save the bad water for crafting (you can use water from the sewer to boil your noodles and make it perfectly edible) or find a way to make it clean.

Also don't drink water straight from the toilet.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

nftyw posted:

Also don't drink water straight from the toilet.

You should get a morale bonus from this if you're heavily Canine mutated.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
For anyone else starting out, throwing is incredibly good. Going from pointy sticks-> sharpened rebar-> wooden javelins-> lawn darts gives you very good damage progression and trains fabrication for other stuff.

Just be careful when fighting spitters/boomers. The spitters acid will leak when they die and damage or destroy your thrown weapons and the boomer explosions (but not thier bile) will do the same.

Carcer fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jun 6, 2015

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So while going over some recent looting hauls of a few gun-nut basements I took stock of what I have. I have some modest ammo supplies for several nice guns, but then I noticed a pile of 600 7.62mm rounds of some kind. "Awesome!, I'm gonna be blasting a rifle all day with this!"

They're loving Tokarev rounds. :negative:. And of course a Tokarev or PPSh or whatever else uses this stupid round was not amongst my collection.

I suppose I could get around to learning how to disassemble and load my own ammo...

You can't take apart some ammo for some reason, and unfortunately that includes 7.62x25. I know, I was pissed too when I learned about that; I keep finding shitloads of that stuff!

Also yes, reloading is awesome. You can take apart all these moon calibers and turn 'em into good ol' all-American 5.56 or .308 or what have you.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Well, I finally got a Bad Day character all the way to a shelter, was recovering nicely when a Moose 360 no scope headshotted me while darning some socks.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Just started playing. Slowly learning the ins and outs, but having lots of fun.
So what's this I hear about zombies evolving?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
More special type zombies replacing the normal ones as time passes, certain special types get upgraded (shocker zombies -> shocker brutes, etc.).

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Is this a spawn thing, or a literal evolution in the Pokemon sense thing? Like if I leave a Shocker Zombie alone, is he going to turn into a Shocker Brute given time? Just wondering if that means there's an incentive to kill dudes to prevent them from evolving.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Well, that was a disappointing way for my attack on the fungal thing to end. Autosave put me back way before I even started attacking. Maybe I should just go somewhere else and avoid it. Will this poo poo spread if I'm not nearby (since I know the game only loosely tracks stuff beyond a certain distance from you).

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Is this a spawn thing, or a literal evolution in the Pokemon sense thing? Like if I leave a Shocker Zombie alone, is he going to turn into a Shocker Brute given time? Just wondering if that means there's an incentive to kill dudes to prevent them from evolving.

Even if it was a Pokemon thing it would take a few months for them to actually change. I'm pretty sure it isn't though - it primarily affects spawns you haven't seen yet, as in wilderness spawns (zombears and grim howlers and antlered horrors, oh my) and towns you haven't visited until, say, winter.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
How is the Ursine Vision trait? You can only start with it in the lab/escaped mutant scenarios, but it looks like it gives way more night vision than the normal night vision trait, with the tradeoff of being shortsighted and not starting with glasses. Is it worth it, or are glasses so rare that you're better off without it? The other concern is the autoturrets in the lab start. I'm not sure, but I think shortsightedness will mean you die before you can see them...

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

How is the Ursine Vision trait? You can only start with it in the lab/escaped mutant scenarios, but it looks like it gives way more night vision than the normal night vision trait, with the tradeoff of being shortsighted and not starting with glasses. Is it worth it, or are glasses so rare that you're better off without it? The other concern is the autoturrets in the lab start. I'm not sure, but I think shortsightedness will mean you die before you can see them...

Glasses are not terribly hard to come by once you can actually get to some houses, that said there is a night vision CBM which is long-term just plain better that's possible to find in labs. Turrets can be bypassed easily if you can manage to bust down a wall somehow - bombs/grenades should work, as does fire assuming you either have a fire extinguisher handy for after the fire burns a hole in the wall. You might also be able to smash it in with a solid weapon but it seems unlikely you'd find one in the lab itself that would work even with high strength.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

This is a really dumb question, but how do you smash things? I started as an evacuee novice martial artist, and the only useful things in my starting bunker are two cans of food, some bottles of water and cough syrup, two emergency blankets, and one emergency jacket. I've tried to just smash the bench with my bare hands, or wielding one of the cans, but it's taking approximately forever and every handful of smash attempts, the game tells me that I don't appear to be damaging the bench. Do I just need to venture out into the snow in the hopes of finding something stronger?

(Incidentally my start seems neat. I have a crashed military APC in the square that has an M2 mounted on top. I imagine eventually I can repair this beast?)

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Arcturas posted:

This is a really dumb question, but how do you smash things? I started as an evacuee novice martial artist, and the only useful things in my starting bunker are two cans of food, some bottles of water and cough syrup, two emergency blankets, and one emergency jacket. I've tried to just smash the bench with my bare hands, or wielding one of the cans, but it's taking approximately forever and every handful of smash attempts, the game tells me that I don't appear to be damaging the bench. Do I just need to venture out into the snow in the hopes of finding something stronger?

(Incidentally my start seems neat. I have a crashed military APC in the square that has an M2 mounted on top. I imagine eventually I can repair this beast?)

You need to have enough smashing power (str + weapon's bashing damage) to break things. If you don't have enough strength to break benches and lockers, you can probably use a rock to give you the extra bit you need.

e: vvvv :owned:

President Ark fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 7, 2015

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Arcturas posted:

If the game tells you "you don't appear to be damaging the Foo", I'm pretty sure it means you cannot possibly smash it. Your ability to smash things is based on your weapon's bashing damage, and that tin can probably has pretty bad stats as a weapon. You should be able to grab a rock somewhere outside and smash benches and lockers with that.

e: ^^^^ :saddowns:

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jun 7, 2015

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Gotcha, thanks. I'll go find a rock.

EDIT: Yup, that worked. Two hits. I guess I didn't really need that morning anyways!

EDIT 2: Another dumb question. I've got 2 splintered woods in my inventory. How do I turn them into wooden needles? For tools, I have: rock, cudgel, improvised picklock, makeshift crowbar, makeshift knife, some nails, and such.

Arcturas fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jun 7, 2015

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
You probably don't have enough skill. Make some makeshift lockpicks out of scrap metal or turn 2x4s into pointy sticks until you get fabrication level 1.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Glasses can be found in lab bedrooms fairly easily and there are usually plenty of bedrooms to check through. You will have indeed have trouble seeing turrets however, so it's in your best interest to find (regular) lenses or bifocals asap.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Dareon posted:

You probably don't have enough skill. Make some makeshift lockpicks out of scrap metal or turn 2x4s into pointy sticks until you get fabrication level 1.

Alternatively, go pick through bushes or butcher corpses or craft makeshift slings until you have one level in survival, and then craft a significantly-more-metal bone needle.
(It doesn't have any advantage except being cooler.)

Unfortunately zombie bones don't work, so you'll have to go throw stones at a squirrel or something.

e: Well here's something new: apparently the lab challenge can spawn you in a locked room, and the metal doors in labs can't be picked or crowbar-ed. I just spend the entire first day of my life cutting up my clothes into strings so I could make a homewrecker and smash through a reinforced glass wall.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jun 7, 2015

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I found a mobile meth lab and I'm busy tearing plating off a wrecked apc and strapping it to the methvan. The system this game uses is so close to lego and its amazing.

Liberal_L33t
Apr 9, 2005

by WE B Boo-ourgeois
If we're still talking existing monsters we'd like to see more of, I'd like to see more robotic enemies in towns, as opposed to tucked away in labs and bunkers and such. I think tripod walkers, chicken walkers, secubots and skitterbots should be reasonably common spawns in cities. I think the damage they'll do to surrounding zombies will cancel out any increased difficulty for the player in having to deal with such tough opponents more often.

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
i came across a chicken walker in a town. my character was shredded about three rounds later :(

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Liberal_L33t posted:

If we're still talking existing monsters we'd like to see more of, I'd like to see more robotic enemies in towns, as opposed to tucked away in labs and bunkers and such. I think tripod walkers, chicken walkers, secubots and skitterbots should be reasonably common spawns in cities. I think the damage they'll do to surrounding zombies will cancel out any increased difficulty for the player in having to deal with such tough opponents more often.

Make the first place you visit a gun store or pawn shop, set off the alarm and sit tight while the eyebot takes 80 pictures of you and gets a brigade of police bots to chase you.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

nftyw posted:

Make the first place you visit a gun store or pawn shop, set off the alarm and sit tight while the eyebot takes 80 pictures of you and gets a brigade of police bots to chase you.

WOOP WOOP :awesomelon:

More fun things to do:

Build a control laptop to hack all the robots and build your own ridiculous army of riot bots. Just becomes a matter of not accidentally hacking or destroying the eyebots so they keep summoning more.

...or just kill them since they drop stuff like superalloy plates, plutonium cells, etc. Might be worth noting that robots can also be stunlocked with a bullwhip so you can safely melee them. Directional EMP cybermod kills them in 2~3 zaps.

If you have an Internal Furnace you can eat wrecked robots for ~15000 energy since it goes based on weight/material and they're 300lb of steel+plastic.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jun 8, 2015

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Shaolin Tiger Style is hilariously effective. A 12-Str mall cop with 1 point each into melee and unarmed just effectively killed an entire mall, escaping in a scavenged van on day 5 with 486 kills, only 50 of which are not regular zombies. Only thing that gave him real trouble was the static NPC accidentally shooting him (:mad:) and a couple police bots responding to the noise of a snack machine being forced. I even started with a point in dodging, but maybe one zombie in twenty actually gets an attack on me.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
How effective are Molotov Cocktails against, say, Brutes? I opened a door and found myself 5 tiles away from one. He's seen me, and I don't know whether I have better odds hucking a Molotov at him or just slamming the door and running. I have Quick and don't currently have any speed penalties, so I get 110 movement points. This is literally my first character ever and I have never fought a Brute before.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

silentsnack posted:

WOOP WOOP :awesomelon:

More fun things to do:
you can eat wrecked robots for energy

This game.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Mzbundifund posted:

How effective are Molotov Cocktails against, say, Brutes? I opened a door and found myself 5 tiles away from one. He's seen me, and I don't know whether I have better odds hucking a Molotov at him or just slamming the door and running. I have Quick and don't currently have any speed penalties, so I get 110 movement points. This is literally my first character ever and I have never fought a Brute before.

They'll burn, but unless you can stun him in the first few attacks you're better off just booking it.

Liberal_L33t
Apr 9, 2005

by WE B Boo-ourgeois
Personally, I don't find regular brutes or even hulks all that tough. One of my recent characters without any particularly high skills took down a hulk with nothing but 10 or so .44 magnum bullets. It seems like their slam attack isn't really all that damaging, provided you're decently armored and they don't knock you through a wall. It's the shocker brutes that send me running almost 100% of the time. If you're unlucky enough to be paralyzed when you get blasted the first time, it's basically instant death, and unlike normal brutes, trying to melee them is suicide even with very high melee skill and a good weapon.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Sage Grimm posted:

They'll burn, but unless you can stun him in the first few attacks you're better off just booking it.

Thanks, I did so. One of the best decisions I made was deciding to carry a Nailboard trap around with me. It's a bit bulky, but boy it ties up people for the longest time, and I've never failed to recovered it even after 20 or so uses. It even works on skeletons somehow!

Liberal_L33t posted:

Personally, I don't find regular brutes or even hulks all that tough. One of my recent characters without any particularly high skills took down a hulk with nothing but 10 or so .44 magnum bullets.

That's good to know, but I was equipped with a self bow, small game arrows, and a quarterstaff. I haven't seen a gun yet.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Mzbundifund posted:

How effective are Molotov Cocktails against, say, Brutes? I opened a door and found myself 5 tiles away from one.

They're great for losing an enemy. The intense fires that create block LOS, they produce a bunch of smoke that also helps block, and the smoke helps hide your scent too.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

The Lone Badger posted:

They're great for losing an enemy. The intense fires that create block LOS, they produce a bunch of smoke that also helps block, and the smoke helps hide your scent too.

Ok, cool. I was afraid it would just result in me getting punched by a giant flaming fist instead of just by a giant fist.

In other Nailboard Trap news, you apparently don't feel guilty if a zombie child dies by stepping on a nailboard trap. These things are so stinking handy.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Vehicular homicide doesn't induce guilt either. Guy wanders up to yell at you and rudely tell you this is his territory? Get in your car and drive over him. No fuss, no muss!

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
So there's bagged bologna and blocks of brioche and those foods rot, just like fruits, only slower. Fruit is all rotten at this point I think.

But what about the food in tin cans? Those should be preserved right? Or do those go bad too?

What do you guys do when you find a whole bunch of stuff that are out of tin cans/in plastic bags and will rot? Just save your preserved foods and stuff your face with the nonpreserved foods, I suppose?

And what the hell is mugwort for?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
What do spore clouds do? I have a couple of fungus chilling all around my shelter, and I'd rather not go after them without fire, just in case they are nasty. We're keeping out of each other's way, but the spores are freaking me out.

Artificer posted:

But what about the food in tin cans? Those should be preserved right? Or do those go bad too?
There is perishable food in cans out there. If the description is in blue, it will eventually rot.

VStraken
Oct 27, 2013

Fat Samurai posted:

What do spore clouds do? I have a couple of fungus chilling all around my shelter, and I'd rather not go after them without fire, just in case they are nasty. We're keeping out of each other's way, but the spores are freaking me out.

There is perishable food in cans out there. If the description is in blue, it will eventually rot.

If left alone, eventually they fall to the ground and turn into baby fungaloids (I think this only happens on dirt); if other mobs come into contact with them, those mobs also may turn into fungal zombies if I'm not mistaken

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Artificer posted:

There's a cooking/survival recipe where you can mix it with cooking oil to get mugwort oil, which apparently cures parasites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

Artificer posted:

So there's bagged bologna and blocks of brioche and those foods rot, just like fruits, only slower. Fruit is all rotten at this point I think.

What do you guys do when you find a whole bunch of stuff that are out of tin cans/in plastic bags and will rot? Just save your preserved foods and stuff your face with the nonpreserved foods, I suppose?

If a food has pale blue text it's perishable and will one day become inedible, if it's white the food will never go bad. With a good cooking/survival skill or the right tools you can preserve perishables for long term storage. Not everything in a tin can is non-perishable but typically it will last longer than other fresh foods.

Fat Samurai posted:

Fungaloids and various other fungus monsters produce spores, if left alone for long enough they have a random percent chance to turn into a new fungaloid/a patch of fungus terrain/nothing. Do not attempt to kill them in melee without at least a filter mask, better yet get some environmental protection on all your clothing slots, or you can become infected with spores which is HORRIBLE. They're harmless upon death however.