Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
I think Bakugou should have gone with Blasty McSplode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Huh, I just took another look at the nominations; why did Kaminari receive so many? He kind of got dominated, and his power is such a liability to his allies that his team needed Yaoyorozu's power just to protect them from it. Unless it's a lot of fellow electric heroes or people who themselves are immune to it, that's really strange. And Ashido didn't get any either despite winning her first match; Sero got 14 for getting frozen by Todoroki even. Aoyama not getting much attention makes sense though.

Kind of curious how the other classes are handling this. I hope Shinsou got a lot of attention.

Edit: Actually, I just realized, the people submitting the nominations probably only get, like, a single one or something; rather than just writing to everyone who participated because hey, they're all great, they have to pick who caught their eye the most. Hence some students who put up a decent show getting ignored; while, say, a lot of people were impressed with Uraraka, only twenty are applying for her over, say, Todoroki or Bakugou, who utterly stole the show. Meanwhile, while Deku put up a strong show, the end of his match (people didn't understand why he was calling Todoroki out and thought it was a challenge or something that backfired), the self-destructive nature of his powers, and the sheer attention Todoroki and Bakugou got left no one favoring him over the other options. It still doesn't explain Kaminari though.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jun 6, 2015

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Alien Queen is perfect for acid girl, and it gets my approval. Pinky does not.

Really all the names are good, though. Also Midnight is fun.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jun 6, 2015

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

chumbler posted:

Alien Queen is perfect for acid girl, and it gets my approval. Pinky does not.

Really all the names are good, though. Also Midnight is fun.
Pinky just makes me want her to team up with the Brain.

Xenomorph would have been a much better name.

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

I only take special jobs, if you know what I mean.
my money is 100% on the applicant being Endeavor

Todoroki is the key to Endeavor's legacy, and Midoriya had a very clear effect on him.

Midoriya's powers are practically useless in a real combat situation without the nurse around so no one wants him for that reason, but Endeavor would want to get to know the gutsy kid that got his son past his mental block.

That's my take on it anyways.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Go to laugh at Tail Man wagging his tail.

And nuts to anyone who doesn't like Froppy.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Midnight seems like a pretty good teacher.
Those names were great!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I would think that Endeavour was the guy who wanted to scoop up Deku, but he's too serious an antagonist for All Might's over-the-top, comic reaction. That was 'oh poo poo, wacky shenanigans coming', not 'oh poo poo, my pupil's been headhunted by a nightmarish domestic abuser'.

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

I only take special jobs, if you know what I mean.
All Might doesn't seem to know that about him, it seems. Also, from a narrative standpoint Deku hasn't had a teacher that's (insanely)tough on him yet. That could be Endeavor but I could see it being All Might's former mentor, if that person exists at all, or something similar.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Tsukuyomi was an interesting choice, considering going for more bird-oriented names would have been easier.

Jazu
Jan 1, 2006

Looking for some URANIUM? CLICK HERE
Bakugou should be Master Exploder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA4mVS0u_uo

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Blaster Master.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Neeksy posted:

Tsukuyomi was an interesting choice, considering going for more bird-oriented names would have been easier.

He can't fly and his powers aren't really bird-based. He is just a dude with shadow powers who also looks like a bird for some reason?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Serious Frolicking posted:

He can't fly and his powers aren't really bird-based. He is just a dude with shadow powers who also looks like a bird for some reason?

So like a negative Birdman.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Do we know what Sugar Man or Anima's powers are?

Zweihander01
May 4, 2009

I think Deku's nomination is from Endeavor too. Obviously he wants to keep tabs on this kid who affected Todoroki and has some connection to All Might, but I bet we'll get some reveal that Endeavor hosed up himself with his own powers in the past and feels qualified to help Deku out. Probably some super burned hand under his glove, mirroring Dekus old man hand. And a speech about how most heroes who get this far are just immune to their own effects (like Bakuguo) or have a way to bypass it (like Todoroki).

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Zweihander01 posted:

I think Deku's nomination is from Endeavor too. Obviously he wants to keep tabs on this kid who affected Todoroki and has some connection to All Might, but I bet we'll get some reveal that Endeavor hosed up himself with his own powers in the past and feels qualified to help Deku out. Probably some super burned hand under his glove, mirroring Dekus old man hand. And a speech about how most heroes who get this far are just immune to their own effects (like Bakuguo) or have a way to bypass it (like Todoroki).

Did you miss the fire facial hair?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
The downside to Endeavors' power is that it makes him overheat internally, same as Todoroki.

Given his personality and the single-minded obsession with breeding a successor without his limitation, it wouldn't surprise me if he ended up flaming out a lot when he was younger. He might be the perfect mentor.

e: By the way, you don't need to spoil speculation.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Since he's the 9th owner of All For One maybe Midoriya could've picked "Mighty No. 9". :iamafag:

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Fabricated posted:

Since he's the 9th owner of All For One maybe Midoriya could've picked "Mighty No. 9". :iamafag:

But then everybody would complain he wasn't a woman and he'd never become a hero then!

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

The reference could be Shiny Chariot

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Fabricated posted:

It's a manga so Deku's teacher will be a 100 year old 10 year old girl. Or Mt. Lady.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Rhonne posted:

Do we know what Sugar Man or Anima's powers are?

I believe those two and Mina (acid) are the only ones who haven't been shown from class A, though Mina's is fairly obvious at this point.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I would watch this.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Level Slide posted:

The reference could be Shiny Chariot

oh my god :swoon:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

kidcoelacanth posted:

I believe those two and Mina (acid) are the only ones who haven't been shown from class A, though Mina's is fairly obvious at this point.

We technically haven't got an info panel on invisible girl's powers either but like Mina they're pretty self explanatory.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

RatHat posted:

We technically haven't got an info panel on invisible girl's powers either but like Mina they're pretty self explanatory.

Invisibility is not invisible girl's power. That's just what she looks like.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I didn't get Mina's name until I saw a colored picture of her.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Say Nothing posted:

I didn't get Mina's name until I saw a colored picture of her.

Hell, I thought she was a vampire and her name was a reference to Mina Harker for quite awhile.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Uraraka's hair in coloured panels always throws me off. The black and white art always makes her look blonde, when it's apparently quite a dark brown instead.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Alien Queen was the cooler name. :colbert:

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Darth Walrus posted:

Uraraka's hair in coloured panels always throws me off. The black and white art always makes her look blonde, when it's apparently quite a dark brown instead.

Which is quite standard in manga but always throws me off, too. Most lightly colored hair in manga is brown.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

jackofarcades posted:

Which is quite standard in manga but always throws me off, too. Most lightly colored hair in manga is brown.

Sure, but it looks like it should be light brown. Dark brown is usually grey or black.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Darth Walrus posted:

I always thought Ashido was green.
Weird.

I guess it all comes down to convention.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I thought Ashido was brown, like a beetle or an ant might be. Also dear god her costume :barf:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
am i the only person who sort of likes her weird costume

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
I like her weird costume

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

If it disorients you that means it's working. Can't fight what you can barely stand to look at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Tollymain posted:

am i the only person who sort of likes her weird costume
I like it. It's like a camo dress thing. I'm in.