Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Yesterday I played a bit of Fallout 3 and one jarring thing is that your running speed is sooo slow. I hope they introduce cars, or at least some way to sprint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

ymgve posted:

Yesterday I played a bit of Fallout 3 and one jarring thing is that your running speed is sooo slow. I hope they introduce cars, or at least some way to sprint.

Rideable brahmin

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
WOuld not mind driving a junker car around the wasteland. Of course they should be super rare and prone to nuclear explosions

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Speaking of which, I found this depressing British film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdtpvoOXn2o.

This traumatized a poo poo load of kids when it was first shown on the TV in the UK.
It was pimped as the new Snowman, as its from the same author/animators.
Then it turned out to be Waiting for Godot nuclear death fun.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
I could only watch a bit of it, I know they're old but its about 1 hour 30 mins of almost literal retard dialogue.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Though I guess the new Mad Max game will be able to fill my "drive a custom garbage car around the wasteland" fixhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ButHzEB8AO4

This'll be a good period for apocalypse games I hope

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Zzulu posted:

WOuld not mind driving a junker car around the wasteland. Of course they should be super rare and prone to nuclear explosions

no way they coerced gamebryo into supporting vehicles properly

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

cthulhoo posted:

no way they coerced gamebryo into supporting vehicles properly

When you think about it a nuclear car is just a really wide and low down horse

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/FO4News/status/607006410380050432/photo/1

http://imgur.com/gallery/lFIxR/new

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ModI6ruq73Q
:spergin:
Crazy speculation is the best part of pre-release hype.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

happyhippy posted:

This traumatized a poo poo load of kids when it was first shown on the TV in the UK.
It was pimped as the new Snowman, as its from the same author/animators.
Then it turned out to be Waiting for Godot nuclear death fun.

Yeah... and because the author Raymond Briggs had a popular childrens book ("Fungus the Bogeyman"), every school library in New Zealand ended up with "When the Wind Blows" on its shelves as well.

Basically, anything that was early-80's UK + nuclear war ended up being grim as gently caress. Your best hope was to die from the initial blast :gonk:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I'll show you my speculation

*takes walk on the Freedom Trail snapping pics with my phone*

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children

Lack of Gravitas posted:

Yeah... and because the author Raymond Briggs had a popular childrens book ("Fungus the Bogeyman"), every school library in New Zealand ended up with "When the Wind Blows" on its shelves as well.

Basically, anything that was early-80's UK + nuclear war ended up being grim as gently caress. Your best hope was to die from the initial blast :gonk:

The end half of Threads goes from Grim to Grimmer, 2nd generation mentally handicapped children all watching the same cartoon on repeat in a shanty school, 3rd generation stillborns.

No wasteland buggies and t-51b power armour here, nope.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

MAKE WAY NEW STARS posted:

When you think about it a nuclear car is just a really wide and low down horse

cant wait to climb mountains at 90 degrees on my shiny carhorse

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
New Vegas and Fallout 3 are kind of apples and oranges.

Fallout 3 is a soft remake of Fallout 1 and 2. While it's technically a sequel, it reestablishes a lot of elements from the first two games (The Brotherhood, Super Mutants, the Enclave).

New Vegas is a direct sequel to Fallout 1 and 2.

Fallout 3 tries to capture the dread of walking through the corpse of the world.

New Vegas is all about rebuilding. The Old World lingers, but New Vegas isn't a post-apocalyptic world. It's about the world moving on after a bad thing happened.

Fallout 3 is structured very similarly to Elder Scrolls games. There is a main story, but there are also side quests that exist almost in a vacuum to that main quest.

New Vegas's main story colors a lot about its world. A lot of the missions you do are for the NCR or Legion. Even when you go to an out of the way place like Jacobstown, the NCR is there being douches and Marcus will give you his two cents on Caesar. There are still surprises in New Vegas. Stumbling on the Brotherhood's headquarter's is an amazing part of that game. Still, the game's story hangs heavy over everything.

Fallout 3 throws you in the middle of the map with a marker of where to go.

New Vegas's world design is definitely more directed. New Vegas is about taking a long journey with a clear road. Exploration is actively scary and dangerous.

Arguing about gun play is a bit silly because both games are very similar and kinda lovely even if New Vegas is more robust.

New Vegas definitely has better character writing and while voice acting is limited, New Vegas brought in more mid level actors.

I like New Vegas better. For me it's one of the best games ever made, but there are a lot of things on this list that I think a lot of people will see as negatives that I see as pluses.

I think I get a little hot and bothered when people get smug about calling New Vegas out a lovely game. Once again, I get not liking it, but the thing about New Vegas is that it's a very audacious game. It's a game in which there is a very minor character and forgettable character at Mojave Outpost who has great dialogue if you happen to play as a gay or bi man. There is a mission centered around rape that is actually good and thoughtful. It's a game made in less than two years that is great at best and bold at worst.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The idea that New Vegas is too linear or something is also kind of stupid unless you also think games like Fallout 2 were too linear. You could go to San Francisco right at the beginning if you wanted to, but you clearly weren't supposed to, and doing it once you knew it was there and what to do functioned as an incredible sequence break that made the midgame a joke when you went back and did it.

Having a critical path through even an "open" worldmap is normal for RPGs. Bethesda games are the only ones that are different, and a lot of the mechanics that annoy people about them like pervasive level scaling are a byproduct of that choice.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
New Vegas only seems linear if you play it exactly one time and only go where the main story tells you to, when it tells you to. If you then replay the game and go "why don't I just go straight to New Vegas, I mean I know I need to go there", then you can try to cut through the canyon only to realize why that's a bad idea. I mean the guy you're trailing takes the long way around even, that's a nice world-building detail in itself. The canyon is a place that everybody knows to stay away from, and if you go there to see for yourself you quickly find out why.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Anyone got that 4K screenshot from the OP? The link is brok't.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Zombies' Downfall posted:

The idea that New Vegas is too linear or something is also kind of stupid unless you also think games like Fallout 2 were too linear. You could go to San Francisco right at the beginning if you wanted to, but you clearly weren't supposed to, and doing it once you knew it was there and what to do functioned as an incredible sequence break that made the midgame a joke when you went back and did it.

Having a critical path through even an "open" worldmap is normal for RPGs. Bethesda games are the only ones that are different, and a lot of the mechanics that annoy people about them like pervasive level scaling are a byproduct of that choice.

Did you know that Fallout 1+2 and Fallout 3+NV are games made in a different style and that something that works in Fallout 2 doesn't necessarily work in NV?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Most pre-Oblivion open-world RPGs tended to feature beef gates and no level scaling though. It makes going back to areas rewarding and gives a nice edge to exploration, because it's actually dangerous. Clearly Bethesda's style resonates with people, but let's not pretend there aren't alternatives.

P.S. : New Vegas went overboard with the geographical limits. Having roughly two routes at the beginning feels too limiting for a game released just two years after Fallout 3.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Obsidian is better at detailed worlds and questlines than Bethesda, Bethesda is better at total open fuckarounddowhatever games. Obsidian is more likely to actually try the detailed things and sometimes they work, and sometimes you get a Dead Money where there's some seriously amazing atmosphere and plot going on buried behind piss-annoying mechanics. Bethesda tries for massive amounts of fuckarounddowhatever and tries to make it so that you can go wherever do whatever and that sometimes results in stupid poo poo like Oblivion's level scaling.

e: I don't know where I was going with this post anymore.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

cargohills posted:

Did you know that Fallout 1+2 and Fallout 3+NV are games made in a different style and that something that works in Fallout 2 doesn't necessarily work in NV?

Don't talk back to me, kid. You'll get bruised!!!

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Most pre-Oblivion open-world RPGs tended to feature beef gates and no level scaling though. It makes going back to areas rewarding and gives a nice edge to exploration, because it's actually dangerous. Clearly Bethesda's style resonates with people, but let's not pretend there aren't alternatives.

P.S. : New Vegas went overboard with the geographical limits. Having roughly two routes at the beginning feels too limiting for a game released just two years after Fallout 3.

Hahaha look at this guy who thought there were only two routes.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

If you don't want to immediately killed by Cazadors or Deathclaws, that is true.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I saw 'When the wind blows' on German TV at about age 14 iirc. In the afternoon kiddie program. I watched it again much later and even as an adult it is loving depressing.
It is like the first 5 minutes of 'UP' but feature length...

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
Just off the top of my head, some "shortcuts" from Goodsprings.
-Obviously going north, which is very dangerous but can be done with a stealth boy or two and decent Stealth skill.
-Black Mountain. Again, very dangerous but doable.
-Through Hidden Valley and Scorpion Gulch (running past the Radscorps isn't too hard), gets you to Helios One area.
-Through some pass fairly close to the Powder Gangers prison, occasionally there is a Blind Deathclaw there which can complicate things a lot but worth checking out.

Obviously you can go the long way round through Nipton and all that without doing any quests along the way. Very safe.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Leinadi posted:

Just off the top of my head, some "shortcuts" from Goodsprings.
-Obviously going north, which is very dangerous but can be done with a stealth boy or two and decent Stealth skill.
-Black Mountain. Again, very dangerous but doable.
-Through Hidden Valley and Scorpion Gulch (running past the Radscorps isn't too hard), gets you to Helios One area.
-Through some pass fairly close to the Powder Gangers prison, occasionally there is a Blind Deathclaw there which can complicate things a lot but worth checking out.

Obviously you can go the long way round through Niption and all that without doing any quests along the way. Very safe.

Also worth pointing out that the tutorial in Goodsprings steers you straight towards a stealth boy, with another one picked up in the area.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

cargohills posted:

If you don't want to immediately killed by Cazadors or Deathclaws, that is true.

It's actually pretty easy to get to Vegas immediately. I did it the first time I ever played the game because I saw Vegas in the distance and was like gently caress going south. The route is basically Goodsprings Cemetery - Sloan - Neil's Shack, then just head north along the cliffs while not getting close enough to the 1-2 deathclaws up there to aggro them. Usually I can pull it off in one go.

Ghost Stromboli
Mar 31, 2011
Personally I'm worried by Bethesda's goal to focus more on a narrative for this one. Fallout 3 vs. New Vegas aside, has Bethesda ever really done an amazing story? My memory's too foggy to immediately recall anything past Oblivion, but Oblivion, Fallout 3, and Skyrim kinda has boring main plots. Oblivion's just sucks, FO3's is a bit more solid but gets kind of boring, and Skyrim's has a few neat moments with the dragons but the ending falls short. It would be nice to think they've been getting better at it, but it's hard to imagine.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Morrowind had some really cool world-building, but the guy that was largely responsible for some of the weirdest stuff there is gone, and, as far as I know, most of the leads have left Bethesda too.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Morrowind had some really cool world-building, but the guy that was largely responsible for some of the weirdest stuff there is gone, and, as far as I know, most of the leads have left Bethesda too.

So Bethesda is suffering from Blizzarditis.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
How long does the nexusmods site stay down for usually? I can't access it atm.

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.
Looking forward to this game - I enjoy Fallout titles more than Elder Scrolls (and I enjoy Elder Scrolls)

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Skyrim was better than Morrowind:toot:

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

How long does the nexusmods site stay down for usually? I can't access it atm.

They made a run on the mods, now they're all gone.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Ghost Stromboli posted:

Personally I'm worried by Bethesda's goal to focus more on a narrative for this one. Fallout 3 vs. New Vegas aside, has Bethesda ever really done an amazing story? My memory's too foggy to immediately recall anything past Oblivion, but Oblivion, Fallout 3, and Skyrim kinda has boring main plots. Oblivion's just sucks, FO3's is a bit more solid but gets kind of boring, and Skyrim's has a few neat moments with the dragons but the ending falls short. It would be nice to think they've been getting better at it, but it's hard to imagine.

Oblivion, Fallout 3, and Skyrim all have complete garbage plots. Bethesda's writers are dogshit.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
But... they have Patrick Stewart, Liam Neeson and Max von Sydow! So it must be awesome right? :D

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Liam Neeson is a bad voice actor and a boring actor.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Genocyber posted:

Oblivion, Fallout 3, and Skyrim all have complete garbage plots. Bethesda's writers are dogshit.

Skyrim was perfectly serviceable.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Liam Neeson is a bad voice actor and a boring actor.

Shut your mouth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Boogaleeboo posted:

Skyrim was perfectly serviceable.

Eh, for the Civil War plot both sides were absolute assholes, and IIRC you could only side with one or the other in the end. The main plot was a really boring save the world type shlock with a boring villain (at least President Eden was charismatic as all hell).

• Locked thread