Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

Leinadi posted:

But... they have Patrick Stewart, Liam Neeson and Max von Sydow! So it must be awesome right? :D

You forgot Sean Bean. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I liked that there were no clearcut good guys in the Skyrim civil war. Skyrim channeled the major dynamics and themes of Morrowind hard - colonialism, the battle between imperialist powers and indigenous cultures with nasty slavery-shaped skeletons in their closet - and while I didn't think it was as well-written or fun to explore there were hints of the same interesting ideological struggles going on. My least favorite thing about New Vegas is that there is no meaningful ideological conflict aside from how you feel about the NCR; regardless of how you feel about the NCR's worst assimilationist tendencies, Mr. House is completely self-interested and Caesar's Legion is loving evil. There's no reason for a sane player character, whether heroic or selfish, not to choose the NCR or independent paths.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

With all the hubub about the textures in the trailer, I wouldn't be surprised if it's the console versions being shown but the PC version will have a free HD texture pack DLC at launch or near launch, like Skyrim did. I mean it won't fix the lovely Bethesda animations but maybe it'd make the dog look like it has actual fur instead of it looking like someone painted over a furless dog to give it the illusion of having fur.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Morrowind had some really cool world-building, but the guy that was largely responsible for some of the weirdest stuff there is gone, and, as far as I know, most of the leads have left Bethesda too.
He did write basically every page of text in that game and there are tens of thousands of pages so I can't blame him for staying hands-off from industry. At least we got Morrowind's insane backstory out of it.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Mr. Fortitude posted:

With all the hubub about the textures in the trailer, I wouldn't be surprised if it's the console versions being shown but the PC version will have a free HD texture pack DLC at launch or near launch, like Skyrim did. I mean it won't fix the lovely Bethesda animations but maybe it'd make the dog look like it has actual fur instead of it looking like someone painted over a furless dog to give it the illusion of having fur.

Don't get me wrong I think the game looks nice, but textures aren't really the biggest issue: I feel like that's something that can be easily (of course a lot of effort is involved) modded in. It's the other graphical features that aren't present that would be more difficult to implement, like AO and better bump maps etc.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Considering how Skyrim looks with a few mods now vs launch, I'm not too concerned.

Hoping there will be a not-completely-butchered Middlesex County in this game.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

sout posted:

Don't get me wrong I think the game looks nice, but textures aren't really the biggest issue: I feel like that's something that can be easily (of course a lot of effort is involved) modded in. It's the other graphical features that aren't present that would be more difficult to implement, like AO and better bump maps etc.

Again, if the footage is from the console versions then it's entirely possible the PC version will have all that. Having said that, we all know it's going to be a lazy port anyway and the UI will be unusable on PC until mods come out for it so, maybe not. I'm trying to remain optimistic here.

As for the story, I'm predicting better than Fallout 3 because they no longer have to make a quasi-reboot to introduce the series to the mainstream but still a fair bit worse than New Vegas. But so long as the game is fun I'll give it a playthrough.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Anyone wanna make guesses on framerate/resolution?
I'll play on PC, but have there been any games coming out for current gen that are 1080/60? I feel like at this point it's not a big deal for anyone that most things are either 900p and 30.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Shugojin posted:

Obsidian is more likely to actually try the detailed things and sometimes they work, and sometimes you get a Dead Money where there's some seriously amazing atmosphere and plot going on buried behind piss-annoying mechanics

Am I the only person here who liked everything about Dead Money? I thought the tension was kept up through the whole thing, and the sense of uncovering the mystery of the Sierra Madre never got old on repeated playthroughs, at least for me.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

There's no reason for a sane player character, whether heroic or selfish, not to choose the NCR or independent paths.

The NCR is ruled not by its democratic ideals or a President elected by the people, but by brahmin barons and their lobbyists, willing to send hundreds, maybe thousands of their men and women to die in Bumfuckistan, Arizona for more $$$ and prestige, while also being such a bureaucratic nightmare that Fantastic managed to snag an important, high-paying job. Independent endings may leave New Vegas better off in the short run, and maybe you can headcanon a Good karma Courier with access to Big MT as making sure everything stays peachy, but read as written all you're doing is leaving a bunch of independent states too small to resist any organised attempt to take the place over.

Since leaving the technological marvels that are New Vegas and Hoover Dam to the Legion is an exercise in idiocy, the only proper solution is to leave it to someone who can truly appreciate and use them. A leader whose vision, knowledge and foresight had saved Vegas once before, and who also has the will and vision (along with the lifespan to ensure proper enforcement of said will and vision) to do so again.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

sout posted:

Anyone wanna make guesses on framerate/resolution?
I'll play on PC, but have there been any games coming out for current gen that are 1080/60? I feel like at this point it's not a big deal for anyone that most things are either 900p and 30.

For PC it'll almost definitely be 60+, since Skyrim easily makes that on a good rig.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

CommissarMega posted:

Am I the only person here who liked everything about Dead Money? I thought the tension was kept up through the whole thing, and the sense of uncovering the mystery of the Sierra Madre never got old on repeated playthroughs, at least for me.

Nah, I loving loved Dead Money too. It's the weakest of the DLC imo but it's still really good.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
Speaking of performance, I hope this doesn't basically mandate having an SSD for reasonable load times (a la GTA V and the recent Total Wars) and doesn't take up a fuckhuge amount of space.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Noctis Horrendae posted:

Speaking of performance, I hope this doesn't basically mandate having an SSD for reasonable load times (a la GTA V and the recent Total Wars) and doesn't take up a fuckhuge amount of space.
52GB is the new 8GB in terms of space requirements

They're using Blu-Rays and they're gonna use every byte of that 50gb whether you like it or not :unsmigghh:

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Noctis Horrendae posted:

I play Gta V on an hdd just fine. In fact, I've never felt the need to get an ssd.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Dead Money really hits home for me because I'm allowed to abandon everything I hold dear for a grossly impractical amount of money.

And then I do. I do every loving time and cry because despite the whole theme of the DLC, I am still devising new ways to carry more and more gold out of the Vault.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I play Gta V on an hdd just fine. In fact, I've never felt the need to get an ssd.

You don't have fifteen minute load times? :smith:

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

52GB is the new 8GB in terms of space requirements

They're using Blu-Rays and they're gonna use every byte of that 50gb whether you like it or not :unsmigghh:

My poor hard drive can't take the abuse much longer.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Malpais Legate posted:

Dead Money really hits home for me because I'm allowed to abandon everything I hold dear for a grossly impractical amount of money.

And then I do. I do every loving time and cry because despite the whole theme of the DLC, I am still devising new ways to carry more and more gold out of the Vault.

This is one instance when permadeath for the player would be interesting because I think everybody tries the first time to just waddle all with absolutely every gold bar.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

sout posted:

from just seeing the trailer i thought the game looked better than i expected it to. bethesda games have never looked particularly fantastic on their own, especially from a technical perspective. i really don't know what people were expecting.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Cardboard Box posted:

from just seeing the trailer i thought the game looked better than i expected it to. bethesda games have never looked particularly fantastic on their own, especially from a technical perspective. i really don't know what people were expecting.

The fact there's going to be color already exceeds my expectations graphically.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

haha yeah no kidding, i fully expected the fallout 3 green filter to make its triumphant return

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

:salt:

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

:drat:

GirlBones
Jun 10, 2007
I am not very good at the internet
These ARG advertisements are getting out of hand:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/red-sox-fan-struck-in-the-head-by-broken-bat/

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
FO4 was never going to be a technical marvel and I'm really surprised by all the people who were aparently expecting it to be. One of my first thoughts playing skyrim was that as long as FO4 looks like this, idgaf how dated it really is. The graphics are pretty much exactly what I was expecting

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Liam Neeson is a bad voice actor and a boring actor.

Schindler's List is amazing.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
"Well, the game looks worse than games which were released on last gen systems, but I don't care what any of you think. I'm raking in big bucks, you dumb fucks."

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

SunAndSpring posted:

the game looks worse than games which were released on last gen systems

i feel like this is just being silly

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Cardboard Box posted:

It's being very silly.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

People forget just how bad Fallout 3, New Vegas and Skyrim vanilla actually looked. Fallout 4 still doesn't look impressive but it's way better visually than the previous games unmodded.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Mr. Fortitude posted:

People forget just how bad Fallout 3, New Vegas and Skyrim vanilla actually looked. Fallout 4 still doesn't look impressive but it's way better visually than the previous games unmodded.

yeah i saw someone say it looks barely better than fallout 3 and its like uh

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Cardboard Box posted:

The Last of Us and Metal Gear Solid V look better than this. It's also really cringey that the producer can't come up with anything besides a whiny "We don't care what you think" excuse when confronted with this.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SunAndSpring posted:

The Last of Us and Metal Gear Solid V look better than this. It's also really cringey that the producer can't come up with anything besides a whiny "We don't care what you think" excuse when confronted with this.

That's because The Last of Us and Phantom Pain were both made specifically with an eye for graphical quality as part of their "wow factor". The Last of Us is also a 100% linear game, which is a hell of a lot easier to do graphics for because you're in control of how big the area is and can restrict what angle the player is looking at the scenery from if you need to make shortcuts.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

SunAndSpring posted:

Those weren't big-rear end open world games though.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

SunAndSpring posted:

You're a big silly billy.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I played NV through again recently with a fuckton of graphics mods on and it still looks like poo poo by modern standards.

FO4 definitely looks dated, but it doesn't look ugly. That's enough for me :shrug:

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
At the very least, I'd like it if Pete Hines did the professional thing and said that they'd try and work on improving it during the time they have left until release. I think what he said was really childish, and that's what really annoys me about this. At the end of the day, it is an improvement over Skyrim in graphical quality and the art design is very good, but I feel like they shouldn't be satisfied with being behind the curve now that other companies are throwing their gauntlets into the open-world ring.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

This and the "war never changes" shtick seem as obligatory now as the Star Wars intro text scroll. It's just a shame that someone's friend/child/significant other has control of the animation team at Bethesda. These animations loving suck. And to think it's a critical scene! There's no way the best person for the job is in charge of this responsibility. The quality work done elsewhere only makes the deficiency that much more obvious.

The skyline makes me think that there's some kind of MIT/Harvard/university angle here that would lead to a high-tech faction developing the ruins. But then there's ramshackle Fenway Park, so who knows? Will there big a captive Behemoth near the Green Monster? Those Bethesda writers sure love to repurpose major landmarks (see: the Pentagon). Anyway, for better or for worse what we see in the distance is a big step away from the art direction of the original.

Little changes here and there, like the bright color on this door (and elsewhere), make me think they're feeling a little more confident now about straying from the franchise's roots. I don't mind, if it's a good game, but I bet what we'll see is a strange blend of the old Fallout-aesthetic and Borderlands/RAGE/Bioshock: Infinite inspired stuff. It might feel bolted on. :shrug:

This is my favorite shot of the trailer. It looks good, sort of like a combination of every the visual mods from the last generation were trying to accomplish. Animations aside, the game looks much better. The last generation really didn't have the graphics to do most of the environments justice. The extra level of detail they can squeeze out of contemporary hardware really gives the visuals a needed boost.

One of the aspects to the original that I enjoyed so much was having to dig around to find out about what happened, and to piece together what was going on before the bombs dropped. It's much more powerful to introduce the player to that via a place like The Glow rather than through a hackneyed cinematic of the events leading up to the bombs falling.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

LLCoolJD posted:

The skyline makes me think that there's some kind of MIT/Harvard/university angle here that would lead to a high-tech faction developing the ruins. But then there's ramshackle Fenway Park, so who knows? Will there big a captive Behemoth near the Green Monster? Those Bethesda writers sure love to repurpose major landmarks (see: the Pentagon). Anyway, for better or for worse what we see in the distance is a big step away from the art direction of the original.

That was part of a sidequest in Fallout 3 - MIT is called "The Institute" and they create androids.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Bethesda animations often sucking is a mystery to me. I mean they've been bad through so many different games now. You'd think that if it was a person or a team of people who just weren't very good they'd at least get better over the years but nope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

cargohills posted:

That was part of a sidequest in Fallout 3 - MIT is called "The Institute" and they create androids.

Ah, that makes sense. (I never played the F3 DLC and honestly don't remember a lot about vanilla F3 to begin with.)

• Locked thread