Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Powershift posted:

Just think, that engine will live to see 3 bush presidents.

That's a horrible political failure, my friend. Wrong thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
You guys :butt::arghfist:

Tire that broke a belt on me on Sunday. Second one to do it, the first one went pear shaped (literally) on the way from Denver to Chicago, so I got off my rear end and had the new ones installed Monday.

NoiseComplaint's 8.8 ring/pinion set and mangled LSD carrier are now a decoration on my desk at work, along with the very-blown head gasket from the 5 ton.

The damage is a little easier to read now that they've taken a bath in gasoline to clean the disgusting old gear oil off.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Is that a bridgeport I spy in the background there? That whole area has a machine shop vibe to it.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yup. That's looking through the window in my office into the shop where we build stuff. I've got a bridgeport, a crummy HF lathe (probably bringing my southbend model 1 to work when I clean it up), a beater drill press, my Clausing drill press, hell we even have a 750hp two wheel dyno now. I wish I could take pics of some of the poo poo we've blown up on the dyno but it's not allowed, company policy.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

kastein posted:

Yup. That's looking through the window in my office into the shop where we build stuff. I've got a bridgeport, a crummy HF lathe (probably bringing my southbend model 1 to work when I clean it up), a beater drill press, my Clausing drill press, hell we even have a 750hp two wheel dyno now. I wish I could take pics of some of the poo poo we've blown up on the dyno but it's not allowed, company policy.

So what exactly do you do for work?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Mooseykins posted:

Bringing us proper into the loving 21st century, jetsons style.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

kastein posted:

From where I'm at, I can see my ebeam machine (by Sciaky of chicago), a couple 5 axis deckels, two huge mv360's, two presses, pressure testing, and a gigantic cnc lathe. Around the corner there's another couple deckels, a bigass OKK vertical, a couple more bigass samsungs, and the best weld shop in Houston, along with laser overlay shop. And that's just the building I'm in. There are 7 buildings, and 5 of them have even more stuff :shepface:

Our shop makes the most money for the parent company, and even we are hurting really bad. Only 10 of us on OT today, used to be 200 guys, down to maybe 100. Oil needs to loving rally already, I miss my buds.

I'd love to make a photo tour on here too, but that's not allowed.

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jun 5, 2015

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Mooseykins posted:

I build flying cars :v:

(More specifically, their electrical systems)

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I needed to remove the steering relay from my 42-year-old Land Rover today, so I was expecting to have some good meat for this thread.

After undoing the bolts, it just lifted out by hand. THAT DOES NOT HAPPEN.

Praise be to military workshops I guess, because someone actually bothered to grease it up or something before putting it in the chassis.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

kastein posted:

I build flying cars :v:

(More specifically, their electrical systems)

Coming soon!!!

(Since 1987.)
:pseudo:

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Found this in my oil pan. It's pretty soft and I have no clue what it is.

Polish fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jun 6, 2015

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Polish posted:

Fixed your hyperlink, was missing a /

Also, that looks a lot like half of a rod bearing :ohdear: Is your engine making noises like a skeleton jerking off in a trashcan filled with spoons?

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jun 6, 2015

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Polish posted:

That looks like a bearing, that engine is hosed.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Ooooooo boy. And yes it sounded like hell.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Polish posted:

RIP

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST

Polish posted:

She's dicked, Ray.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Terrible Robot posted:

Also, that looks a lot like half of a rod bearing :ohdear: Is your engine making noises like a skeleton jerking off in a trashcan filled with spoons?

Oh my thats the most accurate description of an engine that is now absent a bearing that ive ever heard.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jun 6, 2015

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Terrible Robot posted:

Funny you mention that because I had a Subaru come into work that made that exact sound. But maybe plastic spoons and a metal skeleton. Then we had a 2011 E150 come in that they said just died while driving it. We pull it in and can hear the start just whizzing away. So we went to turn the flywheel/torque converter BY FINGER And the crank apparently decided to become a two piece.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

So, it sounds like a healthy diesel?

It's pretty impressive it managed to evacuate the bearing all the way out.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
That's some babbitt. Interesting that it came out like that, it's pretty soft stuff. I've only seen it as finely divided particles in a strainer.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

MrYenko posted:

Coming soon!!!

(Since 1987.)
:pseudo:

Are they still only doing tethered flights?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Collateral Damage posted:

Are they still only doing tethered flights?

Afaik, the made a handful of unmanned, tethered flights in 2003, and none since then. Filed for bankruptcy in 2009. Paul Moller started a failed kickstarter in 2013, almost immediately after he settled out of court with the SEC.

It's vapor-ware.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I am going to withhold comment on Moller, as talking poo poo about your competitors is not nice, also I have very little info on him as I haven't bothered to read up on it.

That being said, ours has several hundred manned testflights and many hours of flight time under its belt (I don't know exactly how many Tbh) and spends a significant amount of time on our dyno being tested and having its CVT tuned, so I think we may be a liiiiittle bit closer to reality.

Naturally we will be testing on a track at some point but the dyno allows 95% of the kinks to be worked out before dropping a few grand a day on track time, and means a lot less time wasted in general.

E: phone barfed on this post, here is the reason I recommend people swap a TUPY 0331 head casting onto any 00-01 XJ, 99-02.0 WJ, or ??-?? TJ:

The funny thing is, I found this on a 2003 WJ. Why? Because it didn't have a TUPY head. :wtf:
When I stepped back to ponder what the hell was going on I realized the harmonic balancer had junkyard paintpen reading "01 gr cher" on it, meaning some poor fucker had blown an engine in their 2003 WJ with a TUPY head, then swapped a junkyard one in. Since the 99-04 WJ 4.0 is (according to parts databases) all the same, they used a non-TUPY 0331 headed engine unwittingly and... it blew up on them.

Then I walked four cars over and on a whim checked under the oil cap of a 2000. It had a TUPY head... when I got it off there were clear signs (wizzwheel marks on the block top surface) indicating it wasn't the original head. Whatever, TUPY head donor found, so I tore it off.

(A friend's DD blew up and I got a panicked call after I had already left the yard. Pulling a 4.0L cylinder head wasn't really in my plans for today, but oh well.)

kastein fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jun 7, 2015

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
That stupid loving plane car is the worst idea. Let's see, how do we adapt an aircraft design so it's accessible to normal people? Quadruple the moving parts. Perfect.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
How much does that head run in a yard? I have half a mind and spare time to cruise around and pull one for later in life when I get a Jeep.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Depends on your area. I pay 51 dollars for a 4.0 head if I pull it myself up here in mass.

Takes a seasoned jeep mechanic about an hour to smash and grab one in the junkyard, figure longer if you are unbolting things carefully and not smashing anything that stands in your way with an 8 pound hammer. Swapping it onto a jeep will take around half a day if you know what's going on or a day or two if you've never done it before.

I think with practice I could probably pull one in under 30 minutes but I mostly focus on not ever buying a jeep with an 0331 head. If you don't buy one that came factory with an 0331 head, you don't ever need to worry about this issue.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

kastein posted:

Naturally we will be testing on a track at some point but the dyno allows 95% of the kinks to be worked out before dropping a few grand a day on track time, and means a lot less time wasted in general.

How quickly do you suppose yours will be able to do laps above the Nurburgring?

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Terrible Robot posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRmKst7LEtw

Yep.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Safety Dance posted:

How quickly do you suppose yours will be able to do laps above the Nurburgring?

That depends, flying or driving? :v:

(No idea on driving, I doubt it would be very fast as it has 100hp to play with and is not intended to handle like a sportscar really. Flying, I bet it would do fairly well.)

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Oh my god, that skeleton description was dead on.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Is there any investment (read: lobbyists,) being made by the flying-car guys on regulation reform? It seems to me that the biggest roadblock isn't making a decent flying car, but the fact that because it flies, it must be certified and maintained according to FAA regulations, which are onerous, mostly obsolete, and EXPENSIVE to comply with.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Oh my god, that skeleton description was dead on.

Sounds like the Tin Man from Wizard of Oz having a two-handed powerwank. :stare:

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Horrifying Fierro noises
https://youtu.be/I_Dy_xRxuNo

Haha. "You put oil back in it, right?"

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

MrYenko posted:

Is there any investment (read: lobbyists,) being made by the flying-car guys on regulation reform? It seems to me that the biggest roadblock isn't making a decent flying car, but the fact that because it flies, it must be certified and maintained according to FAA regulations, which are onerous, mostly obsolete, and EXPENSIVE to comply with.

We don't have enough money for lobbyists, unfortunately.

That being said, we are going the LSA route, which while restrictive does ease things up a bit regulation wise.

The worst things to deal with are stuff like crash safety regs (airplanes the crash safety stuff tends towards "plan on dying if you crash" and building automotive crash safety into the structure and safety systems does significantly impact the weight budget) and center of gravity. We are doing well on both fronts but it certainly wasn't easy. There are also fun little things like the fact that FMVSS regs require throttles to be sprung closed while the FAA wants them sprung open and our engine manufacturer outright refuses to produce a sprung closed or non sprung throttle body because they quite rightly consider it a bad idea for an aircraft.

A lot of this stuff is just things I have ended up peripherally involved in since I am a gearhead and have worked on a large number of production autos while most of the rest of the team comes from an aerospace environment. I may be simplifying or misstating some stuff as a result. Day to day all I do is work on the electrical system.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

Pretty much what it sounded like. Maybe I'll make a Zamboni engine removal/install thread.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Polish posted:

Pretty much what it sounded like. Maybe I'll make a Zamboni engine removal/install thread.

Yes, please do, I miss the Zamboni content :allears:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Jonny Nox posted:

Horrifying Fierro noises

And another weird Fiero engine swap project is born

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
We had a subaru come in with a bad case of the chicken fucker today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VliuK2nbd0

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

14 INCH SLIT posted:

We had a subaru come in with a bad case of the chicken fucker today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VliuK2nbd0

Ouch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Jonny Nox posted:

Horrifying Fierro noises

*taking a video in which the viewfinder clearly frames the name "Fiero" on the cover* "Fiaro"