Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

So we're basically skipping the two games in the middle between Sky and Cold Steel? How weird will that wind up being, story-wise? Assuming they're mostly stand-alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Holy poo poo Dalles is a horrible boss.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

http://xseedgames.tumblr.com/post/120804314195/the-legend-of-heroes-trails-series-localization

XSeed posted their localization blog for Cold Steel. The biggest takeway is that they didn't actually say they're not doing Zero/Ao, they said that they want to do Cold Steel first since PS3 and Vita are getting old, while Zero has a PC version and Ao has the chinese PC version. That's not to say they are doing it, either.

Also Cassius rules

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I am basically Dark_Tzitzinime, just concerned with different tits

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Cake Attack posted:

Also Cassius rules

That particular textbox is literally straight from my keyboard, for what it's worth. I may have eventually puttered out on doing every line of text in that game but a whole lotta that game is still my work and I'm super proud of it. And that's not even the best line in that scene.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Will we get the crossbell arc if I believe hard enough?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I'm really confused at this point with what games I should play in the Trails series in which order actually. I would rather play them on Vita.

Is Trails becoming sort of code for one of those overarching barely related series like Tales or FF?

Wendell
May 11, 2003

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I'm really confused at this point with what games I should play in the Trails series in which order actually. I would rather play them on Vita.

Well, there is exactly one Trails game out right now so the choice is not a difficult one.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Wendell posted:

Well, there is exactly one Trails game out right now so the choice is not a difficult one.

Oh! I got confused with all the japanese stuff.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Is Trails becoming sort of code for one of those overarching barely related series like Tales or FF?
The games are much more related than Tales and FF, they're all set on the same continent and (I think) feature characters crossing over between games. I don't know anything about the plot past the first Trails in the Sky, but I believe the plots of all the games are at least loosely related and tie into an overarching narrative.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Junpei Hyde posted:

Will we get the crossbell arc if I believe hard enough?

if you express your belief by buying the new games a lot, maybe

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

It's like Suikoden where all the games take place in the same world with reoccuring characters, but instead of changing main cast and setting every game, they stick with the same cast and setting for two or three game long story arcs.

There are three such arcs. In order: Trails in the Sky (FC & SC), the Crossbell arc (Trails to Zero, Trails to Azure), and Trails of Cold Steel (I & II).

Trails FC is the only game out right now, SC is out this summer, the Crossbell arc is being skipped, and Trails of Cold Steel I is out in Fall.

(Also there's Trails in the Sky 3rd which is basically a sidestory thing that explores the setting)

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Goddammit, I'm probably going to buy a PS3 for those two games.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

why not buy a vita instead for such fine titles as senran kagura and monster monpiece

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Because if I buy a PS3, I can catch up on all of the Tales games I missed.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

You missed a Tales game on the Vita!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Wendell posted:

You missed a Tales game on the Vita!

I've heard really good things about Tales of Hearts, but the PS3 has Graces F, Xillia I and II and Zestria.

And Trails of Cold I and II.

Also, I prefer to play RPGs on consoles.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

No dual-audio for Sen no Kiseki.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

welp people are going to be mad about that

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I find most of those people not worth listening to.

It's a miracle we're getting these games at all.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Definitely. There are quite a few famous seiyuu (warning: spoilers in the character descriptions) among the cast
I'll stay with the japanese version for now, sorry XSEED.

Tamba fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jun 7, 2015

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i actually can't think of anything xseed's dubbed that i've actually played, so i have no idea what quality to expect

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I'd like the option, but at least they tried, and

Mokinokaro posted:

It's a miracle we're getting these games at all.

JRPG dubs aren't that bad most of the time anyway. They're often cheesy, but I've played them for so long that that's not a con for me.

Motto fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jun 6, 2015

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Cake Attack posted:

i actually can't think of anything xseed's dubbed that i've actually played, so i have no idea what quality to expect

They're usually pretty solid for the most part. Probably about the level of most of the later Tales games, but with better directing than the last few.

EDIT: /\ Japanese voice acting is usually pretty cheesy itself. It's just the style they use for voice work.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 6, 2015

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah

Tamba posted:

Definitely. There are quite a few famous seiyuu among the cast

Big spoilers for both Sen games in there, so watch out.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.

Cake Attack posted:

Start with Wild Arms 4 and 5

JUUUUUUUMP, FLOOOOR IT, LET'S TAKE A LITTLE LOOKSIE

Repeat that 500 times.

Shadow Hearts 3 and Akiba's Trip wasn't too bad.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
Not at all bothered by the lack of dual audio here, but I'm wondering why they always have trouble with Falcom games. Is it because whatever dubbing studio or actors or whatever Falcom use are particularly stubborn and uncooperative? Maybe Falcom always uses really expensive voice actors?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Both things happen. There are cases where it's actually cheaper to just dub the game because the original voices are so expensive and the game is too niche to do both wile making a profit, but there are also cases where the license explicitly forbids the use of the voices outside of Japan and no amount of arguing is going to change that.
XSEED made a post about it here

Tamba fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jun 7, 2015

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Whatevs, it'll take like a week tops for some nerd to make an "un-dub" mod for the game.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Lord Ephraim posted:

Start with Wild Arms 4 and 5

JUUUUUUUMP, FLOOOOR IT, LET'S TAKE A LITTLE LOOKSIE

To be fair, the writing/script of those was pretty drat awful in the first place. There's only so much VAs can do with that material.

Rune Factory 4's dub is also decent enough, but those games have light-hearted/goofy voicework in Japanese.

EDIT: Another fun thing that Tom didn't mention (but I think SpaceDrake did in the same NeoGAF thread) is that the Japanese VAs are also allowed to dictate non-negotiable rates for outside of Japan. Within Japan, their wages are completely set by the union and they have zero negotiation room. This tends to lead to many VAs trying to squeeze some extra money out of foreign licensees by setting ridiculously high prices.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jun 7, 2015

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Tamba posted:

I too play video games for the voice cast instead of the games themselves.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

well tbf the guy speaks japanese so if the dub ends up being worse that'd be a fair decision.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Tamba posted:

Both things happen. There are cases where it's actually cheaper to just dub the game because the original voices are so expensive and the game is too niche to do both wile making a profit, but there are also cases where the license explicitly forbids the use of the voices outside of Japan and no amount of arguing is going to change that.
XSEED made a post about it here

Pretty interesting, and about what I expected. Thanks! I doubt having any of that explained will stop some people from being really stupid about it, though (e.g. refusing to buy the game because it doesn't have Japanese voice acting even though they don't understand the language anyway).

smenj fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jun 7, 2015

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

This.

I already have the japanese version, and I would've also bought an english version with the original voices. But since there won't be one, I don't have a reason to buy something that would be worse than the version I already have (for me).
Things are different when your options are "play the version with the english dub" or "don't play it at all".

Wendell
May 11, 2003

It won't be worse.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Wendell posted:

It won't be worse.

Let's not start that. Some people do think the Japanese versions are always better and there's no point starting an argument with those types since you'll never, ever convince them otherwise.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

But what if I want to call them stupid?

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
It's just personal preference, there doesn't need to be any "better" or "worse" about it at all

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Wendell posted:

But what if I want to call them stupid?

then you would say "baka"*

*Translator's Note: "Baka" means stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Really Pants posted:

then you would say "baka"*

*Translator's Note: "Baka" means stupid.

Why don't you just call them "Dipshit weeaboo motherfuckers" because that is what they are after all?

Also I did up my SMS Ys review and it is long and filled with pictures and words that comprise vague sentences.

http://masterratings.blogspot.com/2015/06/game-seventeen-ys-vanished-omens-198788.html

So like hopefully enjoy the review and don't be a goober about Videogames because that's dumb and games are supposed to be like fun and not one's religion or something. (I don't have anything profound to say. Just woke up and got out of bed after reading some Squirrel Girl comics where she fought robot dinosaurs and a hippo person. Deep thoughts are not on my agenda right now. Maybe after a shower, laundry, and a big rear end coffee I might be capable of some deep wisdom? Also if Falcom would like to rerelease Popful Mail that would just be ducky.)

• Locked thread