Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Zzulu posted:

Bethesda animations often sucking is a mystery to me. I mean they've been bad through so many different games now. You'd think that if it was a person or a team of people who just weren't very good they'd at least get better over the years but nope

Pretty sure its an engine limitation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

LLCoolJD posted:

Ah, that makes sense. (I never played the F3 DLC and honestly don't remember a lot about vanilla F3 to begin with.)

It was a sidequest in Rivet City (the boat town) but it was pretty hard to complete and not particularly memorable.

edit:

Lord Chumley posted:

I don't think it is. There have been plenty of animation overhaul mods that look better.

cargohills fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 6, 2015

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

cargohills posted:

It was a sidequest in Rivet City (the boat town) but it was pretty hard to complete and not particularly memorable.

I remember the robot guy dropping to his knees and going "AAARGH" once he found out he was an android, and it was probably some of the worst animation in the game.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

CommissarMega posted:

Am I the only person here who liked everything about Dead Money? I thought the tension was kept up through the whole thing, and the sense of uncovering the mystery of the Sierra Madre never got old on repeated playthroughs, at least for me.

I actually like everything too but a lot of people hated them. Well actually I take that back, I despise a couple of the radios in the very last sequence that make it a pain in the rear end. I like the way they make it really tense but it's still pretty annoying.

e: Also the ability to just auto dismember Ghost People when you kill them if you talk to Dog is a goddamn cheat that shouldn't be there but that's super nitpicky.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
For all my dislike of Fallout 3, Rivet City was one of those locations that just looks loving cool (that concept art was really nice) and is a pretty neat idea overall. Alas, the content within isn't anything to write home about.

EDIT: I'm also someone who enjoyed Dead Money a lot. But yeah, I found the slow playstyle of it fit pretty well with my "regular" playstyle. I can imagine the frustration if you try and run and gun it.
But indeed, a few of the radios broke my patience limit as well, they went too far with it in a few places.

Also, Father Elijah is one of the best villains in all of Fallout I think. His voice actor absolutely nails it. It's a fantastic performance.

Leinadi fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jun 6, 2015

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Lord Chumley posted:

In my experience the engine usually doesn't limit animations for a game like this and like someone said, you can easily make your own, better, animations for both fallout and skyrim. It just seems to be a talent thing over at Bethesda. Maybe a bunch of veterans they can't replace or something

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Leinadi posted:

For all my dislike of Fallout 3, Rivet City was one of those locations that just looks loving cool (that concept art was really nice) and is a pretty neat idea overall. Alas, the content within isn't anything to write home about.

I also think Rivet City was pretty neat, it seems like a swift and resourceful way to establish a settlement because it's remote (therefore safe) yet accessible. It is a bit of a clusterfuck to navigate though, and often falls victim to that shandification question - what do they eat?
Presumably, bits of meat I guess but the point stands. Hopefully 4 will contain more convincing worldbuilding.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Zzulu posted:

In my experience the engine usually doesn't limit animations for a game like this and like someone said, you can easily make your own, better, animations for both fallout and skyrim. It just seems to be a talent thing over at Bethesda. Maybe a bunch of veterans they can't replace or something

The quality of individual animations isn't limited by the engine, but the quality of blended animations definitely is. It's also a world of difference between pre-canned animations like Bethesda's engine uses and the dynamic skeletal systems used in for example GTAV.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Leinadi posted:

EDIT: I'm also someone who enjoyed Dead Money a lot. But yeah, I found the slow playstyle of it fit pretty well with my "regular" playstyle. I can imagine the frustration if you try and run and gun it.
But indeed, a few of the radios broke my patience limit as well, they went too far with it in a few places.

Also, Father Elijah is one of the best villains in all of Fallout I think. His voice actor absolutely nails it. It's a fantastic performance.

I forgot about those speakers. Everyone save-scums, but setting up gauntlets of traps that assume that you do just results in frustration

sout
Apr 24, 2014

ymgve posted:

The quality of individual animations isn't limited by the engine, but the quality of blended animations definitely is. It's also a world of difference between pre-canned animations like Bethesda's engine uses and the dynamic skeletal systems used in for example GTAV.

You remember how in that one Assassin's Creed game Ubisoft explained that they simply could not include a female PC because of the difficulties and cost of animation for a different skeleton?
Shoulda just pulled a Bethesda.

But yeah, Fallout's animations are kinda sucky, I wish they were better but they're serviceable, at least you rarely have to see your own character move, if you aren't one of those crazies that play in third person the whole time.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

That Rivet City sidequest with the android was memorable simply because I remember being able to exploit it so I got both the good and evil karma rewards.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

SunAndSpring posted:

At the very least, I'd like it if Pete Hines did the professional thing and said that they'd try and work on improving it during the time they have left until release. I think what he said was really childish, and that's what really annoys me about this. At the end of the day, it is an improvement over Skyrim in graphical quality and the art design is very good, but I feel like they shouldn't be satisfied with being behind the curve now that other companies are throwing their gauntlets into the open-world ring.

It's childish though he is right.

All the weird quirks and bugs and poo poo of their bad engine and the weird animations and stuff kinda make the game a little bit for me. It just gives it its own character and it never really bothered me much (the only "game breaking" bug I experienced in New Vegas was autosave not updating for days but I quick saved anyway).

Leinadi posted:

I was a stealth guy so Dead Money didn't bug me much plus it got me unlimited money. I felt Honest Hearts was the weakest one - it seemed really short and Graham was a bit of a letdown after the build up of the Burned Man (though he wa sstill a great character).

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jun 6, 2015

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Man, the whole android thing was my least favorite thing about F3 story wise right up there with the cringe worthy group of vampires thing, hearing they're going to base a whole game on that aspect doesn't fill me with confide

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 6, 2015

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

The vampire quest was pretty good up until the point when you actually met one of them.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Androids are cool, and I really wanted one of 3's DLCs to go into more detail on them back when it was first released. :colbert:

OWB is the best fallout

Delaio
Jul 14, 2012

Every time I play fallout 3 I always make a beeline to rivet city for that quest and the int bobblehead, you get A3-21's plasma rifle for finishing it and that thing is great.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I wonder if they'll have the hosed up diagonal animation running that's apparently too costly to make better

gasman
Mar 21, 2013

hey now

Eonwe posted:

I wonder if they'll have the hosed up diagonal animation running that's apparently too costly to make better

They'll reuse all the animations from Skyrim. All of them.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
So who is going to be the big name Celebrity voice in this one that eats up their entire voice acting budget so we get to hear the same 4 interns voice ever other single character?

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Blistex posted:

So who is going to be the big name Celebrity voice in this one that eats up their entire voice acting budget so we get to hear the same 4 interns voice ever other single character?

MATT DAMON

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
James Woods

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Gonna try to cash in on Mad Max and get Tom Hardy to voice somebody.

e: But unironically I do hope that they stick a Doof Warrior mural someplace :allears:

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Jack B Nimble posted:

This is one instance when permadeath for the player would be interesting because I think everybody tries the first time to just waddle all with absolutely every gold bar.

I did. I made it to novac and stashed the bars in my room. It took a long loving while.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.

Blistex posted:

What do you mean, it'll be four interns voicing all the males, and Linda Carter voicing every single female, young and old and mutant.

I liked Dead Money because my favorite part of Fallout games is the part where you're scrabbling for weaponry and armor. Yes, you eventually wind up with far more than you could ever use even in the DLC itself, but it was fun to go back to that for a bit. In this kind of game I tend to give myself restrictions anyway to prevent me from becoming godlike too early.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I have decided that I dislike the FO4 pipboy as it doesn't have a connecting fingerless glove like 3/NV.

EDIT : Also, I'm trying to figure out what it is about FO3 that I love so much. Put it side-by-side with NV and it's hard to carry any weight; fewer quests, fewer locations, no 'faction' system, lower level cap, basically less of everything. But there was something about it, about how the whole thing managed to really 'wow' me at first. Nowadays the 'wow' is gone but it's still fun, there's still something about it that appeals to me that I never lost. I have a really hard time putting my finger on exactly what it is though.

khy fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jun 6, 2015

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

khy posted:

I have decided that I dislike the FO4 pipboy as it doesn't have a connecting fingerless glove like 3/NV.

EDIT : Also, I'm trying to figure out what it is about FO3 that I love so much. Put it side-by-side with NV and it's hard to carry any weight; fewer quests, fewer locations, no 'faction' system, lower level cap, basically less of everything. But there was something about it, about how the whole thing managed to really 'wow' me at first. Nowadays the 'wow' is gone but it's still fun, there's still something about it that appeals to me that I never lost. I have a really hard time putting my finger on exactly what it is though.

Bethesda games have great synergy when they're good. Oblivion had very little synergy and it feels disjointed compared to fallout 3 and skyrim. Something about both those games makes them better than the sum of their parts.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ilustforponydeath posted:

I did. I made it to novac and stashed the bars in my room. It took a long loving while.

Pretty sure each bar is worth more than the max amount of caps any one merchant can have so I just stashed them right outside the DLC.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

khy posted:

Oh that one's easy, Butch was in it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

sout posted:

You remember how in that one Assassin's Creed game Ubisoft explained that they simply could not include a female PC because of the difficulties and cost of animation for a different skeleton?
Shoulda just pulled a Bethesda.

But yeah, Fallout's animations are kinda sucky, I wish they were better but they're serviceable, at least you rarely have to see your own character move, if you aren't one of those crazies that play in third person the whole time.

And a former Ubisoft developer chimed in and said that it was complete bullshit because they had thrown male animations on female skeletons before with no problem (Aveline from Liberation shared a ton with Connor).

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9

LLCoolJD posted:

Little changes here and there, like the bright color on this door (and elsewhere), make me think they're feeling a little more confident now about straying from the franchise's roots. I don't mind, if it's a good game, but I bet what we'll see is a strange blend of the old Fallout-aesthetic and Borderlands/RAGE/Bioshock: Infinite inspired stuff. It might feel bolted on. :shrug:

One of the aspects to the original that I enjoyed so much was having to dig around to find out about what happened, and to piece together what was going on before the bombs dropped. It's much more powerful to introduce the player to that via a place like The Glow rather than through a hackneyed cinematic of the events leading up to the bombs falling.
The Glow is such a loving good set piece. It fully applies an atmosphere of unease, the radiation poses constant danger, everything you hear about it makes it seem like you're being given an impossible task (but, lets face it, we don't get a lot of those as a protagonist) but it was certainly dangerous as gently caress if you weren't equipped right. The music and the damage and the entire layout gives you this kind of curisoity and it's got this oppressive atmosphere and I loving love it.

Leinadi posted:

This was my most anticipated part of the game and I love the idea and the look, everything about it externally but the interior is so ridiculously tiny that it just completely let me down. The Mall was probably the coolest part of the game for me.

Edit: The 'There Will Come Soft Rains' house was super awesome, too.

Syrant fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jun 6, 2015

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
The FO3 gauss rifle knocked and ragdolled enemies. This needs to happen in FO4 as well, screw the NV gauss rifles.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

That was probably related to why it occasionally just did no goddamn damage at all, though.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

khy posted:

Probably because the series was for all intents and purposes, completely dead to that point, with the previous game being that awful Brotherhood of Steel game for consoles and Fallout 3 managed to be okay with glaring issues instead of irredeemable poo poo and you were just so happy to be playing a new Fallout game again.

Bethesda acquiring Fallout always felt like a mixed blessing to me. On one hand, Bethesda's strengths aren't really suited towards Fallout though it is nice it means future Fallout games are easier to mod, on the other hand I'm glad they did get the IP and not some lovely shovelware studio because it gave the series a revival and turned it from a cult classic into a well known, popular franchise.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Imagine if someone like Gearbox got the license.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Groovelord Neato posted:

Please don't make me imagine a Fallout game with literally nothing but memes as dialogue.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

I remember a lot of people wanted Troika to get the IP but given how absolutely boneheaded Troika were with the business side of things, I don't think it would have helped much as they'd still have trouble finding a publisher. I think it was a little too early for Obsidian to buy the rights from Interplay too since they were relatively unproven and working on KOTOR 2 at the time.

ShadowMar posted:

Please don't make me imagine a Fallout game with literally nothing but memes as dialogue.

So, Fallout 2?

I kid, I kid.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I remember a lot of people wanted Troika to get the IP but given how absolutely boneheaded Troika were with the business side of things, I don't think it would have helped much as they'd still have trouble finding a publisher. I think it was a little too early for Obsidian to buy the rights from Interplay too since they were relatively unproven and working on KOTOR 2 at the time.

Personally I prefer my games to be remotely playable.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

ShadowMar posted:

Plus a whole lot of increasingly desperate jabs at better, more popular games.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
I'm just hoping that they make it so I am not an invincible god by the 35 minute mark like FO3/NV. New Vegas tried to remedy that by requiring 3,500 rounds of .50 AP to kill each of Caesar's men that you would bump into every 15 minutes, but other than that I felt like I was some sort of super-soldier walking around in caveman times.

Now if they actually did something with the AI, then things might be more challenging (rather than just upping everyone's HP 10,000%). Some gang sees you? Maybe they don't all run towards you swinging hunks of wood, maybe they stalk you and pick up more friends until they feel confident enough to take you on. Maybe they ambush you with grenades, or plant a minefield along a route you frequent, or wait until your health is low after tangling with a deathclaw and trying their luck then. Maybe one of them has a varmint rifle and takes a pot shot at you every time you expose yourself, and when you turn around to blast him he's already running full tilt away from you. It would be nice if they also took advantage of cover, or flanked or anything other than making a b-line for you. After playing Stalker, this feels like easy mode, and it's no longer a question of skill or cunning, but whoever has the most HP/XP/Bullets.

But this is Bethesda, and everyone knows the only work they have done to the "new engine" is just upping the bloom effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Blistex posted:

I'm just hoping that they make it so I am not an invincible god by the 35 minute mark like FO3/NV. New Vegas tried to remedy that by requiring 3,500 rounds of .50 AP to kill each of Caesar's men that you would bump into every 15 minutes, but other than that I felt like I was some sort of super-soldier walking around in caveman times.

Anyway, my solution to the Legion bullet sponges always seems to be "break out the random pile of grenades and dynamite in my inventory despite my lovely explosives skill" and then just lob that stuff everywhere and hope it all hits. Lucky thing those squads only spawn outdoors.

• Locked thread